News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Vinnie Mac

Not sure if it has has been mentioned yet, I’ve taken some time off from the forums, now a little over a month of Luminous preforming how is it doing? Have we heard anything about how it’s been received so far from guests other than us here on the boards?
Yeah it's a win for Epcot. It's not gonna have the timelessness of Illuminations but Epcot isn't going to need a new show for awhile

trainplane3

Luminous continues to get very strong GSATs. Higher than Epcot’s enjoyed in years.
I'm still surprised there hasn't been any kind of marketing for the new show. There's literally nothing. Then again, people are going to see it anyways if they're at Epcot at night.

I assume that means it's pulling better numbers RoE then?

jrhwdw

I would squeeze in...
1½. the "it's a heart!!" comments during the it's the beating of our hearts medley in the finale.

Also when the narrator speaks for the last time after all the music and lights go off. Worked in Harmonious and works even better here with the "In the great symphony...of us" narration. Love it honestly.
Luminous did it correctly! Never Understood the Fake Stop In Harm's Finale!!

Andrew25

I'm still surprised there hasn't been any kind of marketing for the new show. There's literally nothing. Then again, people are going to see it anyways if they're at Epcot at night.

I assume that means it's pulling better numbers RoE then?

I love a good conspiracy and I think Disney wanted to have fans go into it with lower expectations than Harmonious. They pushed Harmonious hard, and we all know how that went.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I love a good conspiracy and I think Disney wanted to have fans go into it with lower expectations than Harmonious. They pushed Harmonious hard, and we all know how that went.
That, and budget, and a short timeline from announcing a date and its debut, and the anxiety of not knowing if they can make the date. They were welding just a week before the debut.

Actually, it makes sense to soft peddle a new attraction. Wait to see if it's a winner before spending big bucks advertising it. If they're lucky, word of mouth will lessen the need for advertising. Disney can play the long game and hype a new attraction months after its debut.

Andrew25

That, and budget, and a short timeline from announcing a date and its debut, and the anxiety of not knowing if they can make the date. They were welding just a week before the debut.

Actually, it makes sense to soft peddle a new attraction. Wait to see if it's a winner before spending big bucks advertising it. If they're lucky, word of mouth will lessen the need for advertising. Disney can play the long game and hype a new attraction months after its debut.
Also, marketing was tied with all the Disney 100 stuff. And with how late in the year this debuted, there was no need to push it as most trips were probably booked for December/Holidays by the time they had a good idea of when it'll debut.

If we (hopefully) get MSEP or something else this year, we could see them do a massive nighttime entertainment push... but time is running out to market it for the summer.

jrhwdw

Also, marketing was tied with all the Disney 100 stuff. And with how late in the year this debuted, there was no need to push it as most trips were probably booked for December/Holidays by the time they had a good idea of when it'll debut.

If we (hopefully) get MSEP or something else this year, we could see them do a massive nighttime entertainment push... but time is running out to market it for the summer.
Fat Chance!! But I'm no Insider..........

HEA & DE every night(besides July 3-4th of course)would be an interesting look for MK, and not a Bad One IMO.....

Figments Friend

Saw the show for the first time the other night at the Park.
I was spoiler free, did not read or watch anything prior to my visit as I wanted to view it with a clear head.

And…..

Well, it was…okay.

(Spoiler free review)

Positives were the selection of pyro, and some of the clever ways it is presented.

Negatives are the giant center barge.
It was my understanding this was not supposed to be left out on the lagoon during the daytime?
Perhaps it was just the day I was there..?

Music was okay, but the theme and presentation just didn’t hit me the way I was hoping.
It’s almost like it is trying too hard …and it falls flat for me.
A couple of moments, but…..

….for me, another one and done.
Pyro was nice, I will say that.
Nice job, Pyro team!

-

aladdin2007

Saw the show for the first time the other night at the Park.
I was spoiler free, did not read or watch anything prior to my visit as I wanted to view it with a clear head.

And…..

Well, it was…okay.

(Spoiler free review)

Positives were the selection of pyro, and some of the clever ways it is presented.

Negatives are the giant center barge.
It was my understanding this was not supposed to be left out on the lagoon during the daytime?
Perhaps it was just the day I was there..?

Music was okay, but the theme and presentation just didn’t hit me the way I was hoping.
It’s almost like it is trying too hard …and it falls flat for me.
A couple of moments, but…..

….for me, another one and done.
Pyro was nice, I will say that.
Nice job, Pyro team!

-
Agree, for me the opening is the best and well done, love that music. But the rest just takes odd turns and a funeral filler. A over produced song in the finale trying too hard, plus the forced narration. Cut all that back a bit and would be better. Too much screeching singing, sometimes music tells the story without having them shout at you and pushing some narratives. Will leave it at that. Visually the whole thing is pretty good and nicely done. And the bolded above? Not understanding this at all, the whole point of this production was so there would not be barges in the lagoon for the main chunk of the day. Granted these aren't as bad but here we go again, this was not how it was suppose to be.

Last edited:

Andrew25

Barges are still being worked on? I hope this isn't another Disco Yeti lol

Show has been running fine, so can't imagine its anything substantial?

Figments Friend

Yeah, I was very surprised to see the ‘hulking central mass’ of barges in the lagoon when I arrived at Epcot on Wednesday.
And I was there in the earlier part of the day.

Perhaps these are moved out earlier then the ‘old time schedules’ I remember from past days?
I have not been following this thread after the show began simply to remain spoiler free, so perhaps this is standard ops now.
But my understanding was these were supposed to be moved on and off stage at given times….not remain out all day.

Hoping this was just a one off and these are not out there for great lengths of time on the water during the daytime.
It really does kill the views and spoil the visual representation of the united counties around the lagoon.

-

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Hoping this was just a one off and these are not out there for great lengths of time on the water during the daytime.
It really does kill the views and spoil the visual representation of the united counties around the lagoon.
IIRC, the decision to not move the barges daily came from ops, who didn't want Holiday crowd flow to be disrupted by the bridge opening in WSL. Should go back to a regular schedule once crowds die down again.

Brian

IIRC, the decision to not move the barges daily came from ops, who didn't want Holiday crowd flow to be disrupted by the bridge opening in WSL. Should go back to a regular schedule once crowds die down again.
Indeed. It takes about 15 minutes from start to finish to get all the barges out, which is an eternity to guests who get caught at the bridge right as they're starting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom