News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

trainplane3

Now we’re talking.

For the record we’ve chosen not to visit Epcot next year, but it looks like I’m going to see this show (thanks to a friend) which is something I’m good with.
It really does feel like the right direction for a real Illuminations show (which it still isn't). While you probably won't enjoy the content, the shows pyro and other effects are really great. Those barges they "threw together" are really good and a perfect fit for a Epcot show. The mini barges are awesome and make the show feel huge. The pyro tower is spectacular in person.

The only way I could imagine an improvement of the hardware is do a combo of an Earth globe and the pyro tower. The show is building up to the tower but tries to hide it. It'd be neat to really make it shine, if there was more to it then an ominous structure.

The bones of this show are truly excellent.

mattpeto

I wouldn't be surprised if the platform of this show is around in 10 or 15 years. The tech is impressive.

The only thing I'd like to see more of is incorporation of the pavilions with lights and projections. It would be great if each country had its own mini show within the larger show.
I've always been a proponent to utilize some projections at the pavilions.

aladdin2007

I've always been a proponent to utilize some projections at the pavilions.
they use to....Germany use to turn into a gingerbread castle, and I forget all the others that morphed into something as well with projection effects that they aren't using today unfortunately, and of course the shame of Norway not receiving its light package. The new show is a great platform for something that could be even better, it needs some tweaking for sure, whether or not anything happens... probably not. But they could easily build on what is now in place, However I am hearing the barges are out now all day long? already??

mattpeto

I agree, it very much feels like a proper predecessor to ROE.
I respect the heck of @marni1971, all of us do.

But I don't think any IP will fly with him and that's his right. It's also my right to enjoy it. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm more okay with IP then some around here and those parts were indeed my least favorite of a banner show (still solid though).

But the intro, original music (instrumental), mobile barges, ideal viewing spots throughout WS and the pyro effects is absolutely applauded for my tastes.

Vinnie Mac

Most of the IP songs are barely recognizable as IP songs anyway.
And that's my thing. Is there IP? Yes. I think the argument that IP doesn't belong to Epcot is one that I agree with but is also one I recognize is outdated. We were always going to get IP with this show but I think the way it's used in LSOU is very thoughtful and feels less like a 20 minute Disney+ extravaganza and more of a heartfelt show that earns its place in the WS lagoon. Does it push the envelope? No. Is it the craziest thing that Disney has ever done? No. But it's an emotional, traditional, colorful show will entertain park goers for years to come.

ToTBellHop

And that's my thing. Is there IP? Yes. I think the argument that IP doesn't belong to Epcot is one that I agree with but is also one I recognize is outdated. We were always going to get IP with this show but I think the way it's used in LSOU is very thoughtful and feels less like a 20 minute Disney+ extravaganza and more of a heartfelt show that earns its place in the WS lagoon. Does it push the envelope? No. Is it the craziest thing that Disney has ever done? No. But it's an emotional, traditional, colorful show will entertain park goers for years to come.
Those new pyro elements do push the envelope. Otherwise, it’s a safe show (which makes sense after EF and Harm) but the center barge and the heart pyro are really impressive.

Rich Brownn

The platforms were maintenence nightmares. Disney won't ever do a platform like that again, they're very complicated and Disney will very often have it up and visible during the day at DCA
Plus the WS lagoon is filled with water that contains moss, plants, other junk. It's not a concrete lagoon that can be run through a purification system. Those nozzles would need constant cleaning to perform, unless they just want static fountain display.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The fact you can watch this show anywhere in WS lagoon is such a huge relief.

Except when there are private events occupying vast areas of the promenade ;) lol. But yet, in theory it is great that it is now a 360 show viewable from anywhere.

Yes, it is indeed looks good for anyone in any direction.

And yes, indeed, the roped-off up-charge areas are annoying. But so is every tree and building along the shore of the lagoon that is blocking the view.

I know some people will have a fit when I say take out the trees along the Canadian shore. ("It's old growth!!!") But there are no trees between Mexico and China. I don't recall anyone moaning about the lack of trees there. And the Canadian trees are low and wide -- perfect for blocking the view of the fireworks. Replace them with trees that have a tall trunk and high canopy.

And all the kiosks along the shore should go. And just like they did between France and Morocco (I think there), they should clear out the front half of all the unused pads and use them for kiosks and seating. Put 'em there.

Then, just like UK and Italy have a lower level along the lagoon... put a lower level all around the lagoon!

Then, get rid of the Friendship boats that ferry people across the lagoon. Their docks take up too much viewing area.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Does anyone think this show would look a little better (and bigger) if the barges were spread out more rather than being all together? Seems like a lot of light and water effects get clustered together/lost in the middle of the setup the way they are docked
Perhaps. But then, they do have to worry about fireworks too close to people. And the mist of the fountains getting people downwind too wet.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I wouldn't be surprised if the platform of this show is around in 10 or 15 years. The tech is impressive.

The only thing I'd like to see more of is incorporation of the pavilions with lights and projections. It would be great if each country had its own mini show within the larger show.
They did in the late 80’s into early 90’s. Nothing as good as what we have now but it was there on the Canada pavilion, Germany and US but still no evidence, I’m assuming it was just as present as the yeti on Everest.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No

Put this idea into the “Play” section and this show would be a 10/10. I’d settle for a few bits from Epcot Forever.

Disone

Does anyone think this show would look a little better (and bigger) if the barges were spread out more rather than being all together? Seems like a lot of light and water effects get clustered together/lost in the middle of the setup the way they are docked
Yes to a degree. I do wonder what it would look like if you pull each barge out from center a bit more.

Could really widen the span of the central cluster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom