News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

mattpeto

WOC is set up in a pool basically with a concrete bottom - WS lagoon is, while constructed by humans, still has a natural bottom and the infrastructure would get tangled up with plant life and would be an absolute nightmare to maintain
And they still have to figure out something at AK. Just have a nice amphitheater that's sitting dormant.

Now that they have 3 legit nighttime spectaculars, they should turn their attention at AK next. I know why WoC shouldn't work at AK without a costly infrastructure investment, but I'd like a show like that. Hopefully some of the fountain tech they are using with Luminous provides some options.

ToTBellHop

And they still have to figure out something at AK. Just have a nice amphitheater that's sitting dormant.

Now that they have 3 legit nighttime spectaculars, they should turn their attention at AK next. I know why WoC shouldn't work at AK without a costly infrastructure investment, but I'd like a show like that. Hopefully some of the fountain tech they are using with Luminous provides some options.
I thought RoL had some impressive fountain visuals but they didn’t cooperate with wind. Perhaps Luminous works better even with a breeze because you aren’t so close to the fountains?

Fountains with drones sounds like the best option for DAK.

TheMaxRebo

I wonder if they could do smaller shows there - along the line near of the various beacons of magic shows they do on SEE at Epcot

This way don't have to deal with major logistics of people getting into and out of theater but more come and go .... Maybe have some good and drink booths up there. Basically make it more of a "hang out spot" with some light entertainment, but still something to do in the evenings, vs big show

Andrew25

I have a hot take, and I'm not a fan of it, but it's unfortunately true.

Nighttime shows don't work well without IP unless you focus on Pyro like with Illuminations.

A DAK nighttime show needs an original intro/ending... but with IP filler. If DAK can't use pyro, it needs to depend on IP to draw people in.

StantonZ

I think a WoC type show should be in AK...no matter what the cost. I would consider it a permanent addition (similar to CA), so the cost could be amortized over a long period.

EvilChameleon

Now that we have seemingly fixed the EPCOT nighttime entertainment, let's find a way that DHS can use that big launch pad they spent millions on and not have to close the road next to it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hard to care too much about the timeline when the ultimate result is still better than the overconsidered, overbuilt monstrosity that preceded it and seems infinitely more attuned to the park even if it didn’t dodge the IP bullet.
You’re right. I should have said better than before, but ideally a place holder for a real Epcot show. Kind of like a 25B.

Vinnie Mac

Fixed? Or thrown together?

The latter is unlikely to happen.
I wouldn't say thrown together. It's an impressive production that addresses a lot of the problems its predecessor had while also being its own thing. The general public is enjoying it, disney parks fans enjoying it, heck even Epcot/Illuminations die hards are enjoying it.

I don't think it's the permanent solution but i think it's a win that will last us for several years and it's a huge positive step towards what I believe will one day be the modern day illuminations.

Vinnie Mac

Do you anticipate Luminous being around for awhile?
My honest realistic prediction with all things considered (unless something crazy and unpredictable happens) is that Luminous will exist as it does now with little changes until 2030 at the earliest and 2033 at the latest. In that time it will definitely build itself a a positive snd memorable status

I don't think it has a 20 year run out of it and honestly i don't know if any show ever will again. It's extremely rare for that to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom