News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

trainplane3

Are the tarps that were tested a while ago going to be installed on the barges at some point? Not a big deal since the barges aren't very intrusive when in the lagoon but it would make them look cleaner.

trainplane3

I was thinking about that a couple of days ago. I feel like it might be a bit of a fire risk especially with the center barge pyro
It's not too different when compared to the tarps on the Harmonious arms and rings. Also add in the fact they were doused with water from the fountains too. I don't think it's a huge concern but I'm probably wrong.

surfsupdon

Okay I saw the show in person on Friday night (12/15). I actually thought it was better on the video before I had seen it. When I stood in Epcot, with my family, and watched the show, YES, the fireworks were incredible. They were brilliant, bright, creative, and perfectly synced with music. But that music still just DOES NOT work/fit. The constant narration TELLING you how you should feel is so forced. And the "hits of Disney" montage just does not feel in any way grand, special, or unique.

As a show, I like the fireworks but do not care for the music and narration. Maybe it will grow on me, but I still do not see myself making a point to close down Epcot specifically for Luminous. Whereas I was a constant for Illuminations with that score which gave deep feeling without telling you how to feel. But Toy Story music leading into Little Mermaid and Enchanted?! It just did not work for me, dawg.

Vinnie Mac

But how about dining reservations- that’s going to be the big determinant
I could be wrong but I feel like the main reason dining reservations weren't doing too well with Harmonious had a lot to do with the show infrastructure rather than the quality of the show itself. The show didn't really look good from the resturants if you wanted to see the center barge. L:SOU doesn't seem to have that issue

Disone

The narrator never tells you how to feel, she simply introduces the next stage of the show. The music, fountains, lighting and fireworks are well done for each stage of the show. To me, it all fits together including the IP which is subtle and not in your face. In my opinion Luminous is a huge win for the park.
Agree. I also find the critique of the narrator interesting. For me I think she does a masterful job. I might change that last line from and yet it's the human connection..... to and yes it's that human connection......

But her tone, her influxations, are all spot on.

I hope those that are critical of the show having a narrator were not fans of Wishes, where Jiminy cricket very much told you what was happening during each part of the show.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Agree. I also find the critique of the narrator interesting. For me I think she does a masterful job. I might change that last line from and yet it's the human connection..... to and yes it's that human connection......

But her tone, her influxations, are all spot on.

I hope those that are critical of the show having a narrator were not fans of Wishes, where Jiminy cricket very much told you what was happening during each part of the show.
Great point about Snoozes as I call it personally. Our trusty cricket literally spells out what is happening in each section and the folks here act like that show was the second coming of Jesus. It wasn’t.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Great point about Snoozes as I call it personally. Our trusty cricket literally spells out what is happening in each section and the folks here act like that show was the second coming of Jesus. It wasn’t.
I think the issue I have with the narrator is that the only reason it's necessary is because otherwise it would just be a bunch of Disney songs in a row. The narrator makes the songs fit into the Epcot-friendly plotline for the show. A castle-adjacent fireworks show wouldn't work in Epcot, but you could take this show and put it into Magic Kingdom, sans narration, and it would work just fine. The narrator is necessary for the show to work in Epcot.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I think the issue I have with the narrator is that the only reason it's necessary is because otherwise it would just be a bunch of Disney songs in a row. The narrator makes the songs fit into the Epcot-friendly plotline for the show. A castle-adjacent fireworks show wouldn't work in Epcot, but you could take this show and put it into Magic Kingdom, sans narration, and it would work just fine. The narrator is necessary for the show to work in Epcot.
This show would never work at MK. That’s an argument that I will shut down instantly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom