News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Ayla

So you know what I'm talking about.

They can't do quite the same kind of stuff Disney dose and you understand why.

Remember Animal Kingdom's nighttime show?

It's hard to do impressive looking stuff without the big fireworks people expect.

That said, maybe they could pull off something with drones if they're allowed.
The area right behind MK is residential.

MrPromey

Like the Hat and Wand I assume the Crane is temporary.

Yeah... We're screwed...

epcot1.jpg

Last edited:

MrPromey

The area right behind MK is residential.
Not in the same sense...

The area right behind MK is where they launch fireworks from.

There is a public residential road that goes directly behind the attraction buildings at the back of the Univesal parks.

If you get a little boost so you can see over the fence/wall for the extended outside queue of MIB, you'll see an intersection light.

When i say right behind, I mean like the way permanent, non-vacation residential might be right behind a 7-11.

Last edited:

Andrew25

If you get a little boost so you can see over the fence/wall for the extended outside queue of MIB, you can see a street light.

There's literally an apartment complex behind MIB/Fear Factor theater. Someone's balcony is closer to the theater than you can get at Cinderella Castle during fireworks lol

Poor renters have to hear large booms on a near nightly basis at 1AM during HHN (again, why I don't think Uni cares lol)

MrPromey

There's literally an apartment complex behind MIB/Fear Factor theater. Someone's balcony is closer to the theater than you can get at Cinderella Castle during fireworks lol

Poor renters have to hear large booms on a near nightly basis at 1AM during HHN (again, why I don't think Uni cares lol)

Again, I don't know that they care at all but there are limits to what they are allowed to do (height, noise levels, time cutoffs for various amounts) without paying fines.

I'm sure there is someone living back there with a sound meter ready to report them the moment they can.

Where I'm going is, I think if they could have done something bigger with fireworks, they already would have.

Last edited:

Andrew25

Where I'm going is, I think if they could have done something bigger with fireworks, they already would have.

I think they already tried with Cinematic Celebration... but the inconsistent scheduling, lack of marketing, and the media night not going as planned resulted in low attendance on a nightly basis, not the type of pyro they used. The show was Disney-quality, but it never got the attention it respectfully deserved.

MrPromey

I honestly think it was more in the early afternoon, like two or 3:00 p.m. which always made me scratch my head about to criticism of the taco barges.

Back in the ROE days.. Unless you are at world showcase from 11:00 a.m. when it opens to 3:00 p.m., ( world showcase tends to be pretty desolate population wise before 3:00 p.m.) one really didn't get unobstructed views of the lagoon.
Those firework barges, even when out there, were incredibly low profile compared to the Tacos and Stargate, though - enough so that they didn't break sight-lines.

I mean, you could clone them out in Photoshop without having to re-create buildings/scenery behind them or at least take pictures at angles that removed them from the shot, completely.

With the Tacos and Stargate, that was pretty much impossible if you were were trying to get prime shots.

MrPromey

I think they already tried with Cinematic Celebration... but the inconsistent scheduling, lack of marketing, and the media night not going as planned resulted in low attendance on a nightly basis, not the type of pyro they used. The show was Disney-quality, but it never got the attention it respectfully deserved.
I wouldn't say it lacked in quality but it definitely wasn't on the same scale as a World Showcase of Castle production. You could be standing behind the (former) Shrek theater or in Diagon Alley or down by the Borne Stunt show or even the kid's area and be only vaguely aware something was even going on - little to nothing visible and some occasional booms.

... and I don't think it was that way because that's how they wanted it. (okay, maybe Diagon)

Of course, that lagoon is tiny compared to something like World Showcase so they didn't need to go as high or far with things but I still remember the Miami Vice stunt show which was the original nighttime "spectacular" that lagoon was designed for which had no fireworks at all - just a lot of piped in sound and lights and a ground-level "explosion" for the finale. 🤷‍♂️

You mentioned they were testing drones. I think that could be their ticket to something bigger.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Augmented reality!

This show is being delayed until next year to coenside with the release of Apple Vision Pro which you'll need for the complete experience.

Otherwise, you'll just hear some light background music around the lagoon.

Now, Disney's involvement in the Vision Pro announcement is making complete sense.

giphy.gif
That’s how they’re planning on restoring JII to its original version. Virtually.

MrPromey

I just hope the new show focuses on fireworks… Harmonious seemed like a fountain/screen show with a few fireworks to compliment it. I want a show that is centered around the fireworks again!
Environmental impacts and extremely high nightly costs for consumables were, I believe, things they were trying to minimize with this one.

Obviously, we wants what we wants (I'm with you) but I don't think the reduced focus on pyro was coincidence.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Environmental impacts and extremely high nightly costs for consumables were, I believe, things they were trying to minimize with this one.

Obviously, we wants what we wants (I'm with you) but I don't think the reduced focus on pyro was coincidence.
Fireworks are awful….it’s hard to justify using them…

That’s the backdrop of why they do and should move away from them.

MrPromey

Fireworks are awful….it’s hard to justify using them…

That’s the backdrop of why they do and should move away from them.

I can't think of anything, to date, that has the same wow-factor.

That's kind of the conundrum - there's lots of good reasons to move away but how do they put that behind them without it feeling to guests like a step down in spectacle?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can't think of anything, to date, that has the same wow-factor.

That's kind of the conundrum - there's lots of good reasons to move away but how do they put that behind them without it feeling to guests like a step down in spectacle?
I agree…

But it’s also 10 minutes of a 14 hour day and tends to be a bigger deal with man-babies Than the kids these days

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom