News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Sir_Cliff

I’ll say it again, I hope we don’t regret complaining about all the Harmonious views. Well, nighttime show wise.
"Harmonious views" should make a show a non-starter for a Disney park, regardless of how good the show may be for the brief period it runs every day. It was and should be unacceptable for Disney to have anything approaching that amount of show equipment just sitting out in the middle of their themed environments all day, meaning that part of the show design process should involve figuring out how to integrate the elements into the environment or transport them on and off stage for the show. If they can't do that, then they have to come up with something else.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We won’t. Every show until 2021 showed you can have an amazing night show without destroying daytime sight lines. Even 25A.
🤔

1686743655358.jpeg

MrPromey

Universal still has to battle guests leaving the park early. Unlike at Epcot/Disney Parks, Universal isn't known for nighttime spectaculars (mainly Universal's fault for their inconsistent scheduling).

While I'm expecting Universal's new show to possibly be better, Disney has a pretty strong fanbase even with subpar additions.
Their location also plays into this.

Turns out, their neighbors aren't as into nightly overhead explosions as one might imagine so that has limited their options for quite some time with what they can do.

If you've never been around the back side of the parks, it would be easy to not realize how close they are to residential.

Unlike WDW, they most certainly do not have the blessing of size.

Disone

"Harmonious views" should make a show a non-starter for a Disney park, regardless of how good the show may be for the brief period it runs every day. It was and should be unacceptable for Disney to have anything approaching that amount of show equipment just sitting out in the middle of their themed environments all day, meaning that part of the show design process should involve figuring out how to integrate the elements into the environment or transport them on and off stage for the show. If they can't do that, then they have to come up with something else.
Like Disneyland's Fantasmic.

Andrew25

Their location also plays into this.

Turns out, their neighbors aren't as into nightly overhead explosions as one might imagine so that has limited their options for quite some time with what they can do.

If you've never been around the back side of the parks, it would be easy to not realize how close they are to residential.

Unlike WDW, they most certainly do not have the blessing of size.

I don't think Universal really cares when they use pyro on a nightly basis during the Hogwarts shows and aren't afraid of using pyro on weekdays during HHN at 1 in the morning.

jrhwdw

Universal still has to battle guests leaving the park early. Unlike at Epcot/Disney Parks, Universal isn't known for nighttime spectaculars (mainly Universal's fault for their inconsistent scheduling).

While I'm expecting Universal's new show to possibly be better, Disney has a pretty strong fanbase even with subpar additions.
IDK.....CineCele really impressed me for a UOR Show.......Even got thinking to try UOR if i'm down there, if it's not HHN Season...........

That's why I'm still a little bothered that CineCele got canned like, serectly earier this year! It's the best show UOR has ever done!!!!!
I don't think Universal really cares when they use pyro on a nightly basis during the Hogwarts shows and aren't afraid of using pyro on weekdays during HHN at 1 in the morning.
USF's Lagoon isn't near Houses....... The closest thing to a Neighborhood would be Hogwarts' Castle Correct?

MrPromey

Can't speak to HHN because I haven't been in forever but the Hogwarts usage is incredibly minimal.

It's not up to how much they care. There are local ordinances at play.

It's my understanding that early attempts to do HHN at IOA for instance, were hampered by requirements that they shut down Dueling Dragons at a certain time due to sound because of the homes behind that section of the parks.

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 10.24.39 AM.jpg

Tried to get a shot that showed it but can't find any that really display what's behind it. In this one however, see what I circled in the red in the lower left corner? That's a piece of the high school football field with a track and stands right across the street, directly behind what is now Hagrid's Motorbikes. There are homes up all up behind there. You can also se them a little bit in the area with the trees at the top just beyond the Studios park.

Last edited:

jrhwdw

Was there a "Building Houses Boom" around the Parks in recent years??? Seems like USF/SWO tried to do more Fireworks nights in the early 90's than what we have now...........

MrPromey

USF's Lagoon isn't near Houses....... The closest thing to a Neighborhood would be Hogwarts' Castle Correct?
It's a little ways away (see my previous post with the best picture I could find) but that's why their fireworks are used somewhat sparingly and why they fly pretty low compared to what you'd see at Disney or most fourth of July celebrations.

Was there a "Building Houses Boom" around the Parks in recent years??? Seems like USF/SWO tried to do more Fireworks nights in the early 90's than what we have now...........
Whether it pre-dated Studios, I don't know (I was too young to drive or pay attention to such things) but I know the neighborhood was there before IOA opened. I've driven through it.

Last edited:

Andrew25

Can't speak to HHN because I haven't been in forever but the Hogwarts usage is incredibly minimal.

It's not up to how much they care. There are local ordinances at play.

It's my understanding that early attempts to do HHN at IOA for instance, were hampered by requirements that they shut down Dueling Dragons at a certain time due to sound because of the homes behind that section of the parks.

View attachment 723706

Tried to get a shot that showed it but can't find any that really display what's behind it. In this one however, see what I circled in the red in the lower left corner? That's a piece of the high school football field with a track and stands right across the street, directly behind what is now Hagrid's Motorbikes. There are homes up all up behind there. You can also se them a little bit in the area with the trees at the top beyond the Studios park.

As a local, I am far familiar with the area. It's 100% residential.

Cinematic Celebration utilized a Pyro set that wasn't too obnoxious when it came to noise compared to Disney's shells.

You could be at IOA during the show and not hear a single thing. Meanwhile, I'm in Celebration (~7 miles away) and hear the booms at MK/EP pretty easily.

jrhwdw

Cinematic Celebration utilized a Pyro set that wasn't too obnoxious when it came to noise compared to Disney's shells.

You could be at IOA during the show and not hear a single thing. Meanwhile, I'm in Celebration (~7 miles away) and hear the booms at MK/EP pretty easily.
It still looked impressive though!

I would be shocked if Hogwarts' Pyro woke anyone up! I'd put that in the same category as MK's Pyro Shots back in the Holidays 2020.

MrPromey

So you know what I'm talking about.

They can't do quite the same kind of stuff Disney dose and you understand why.

Remember Animal Kingdom's nighttime show?

It's hard to do impressive looking stuff without the big fireworks people expect.

That said, maybe they could pull off something with drones if they're allowed.

Andrew25

So you know what I'm talking about.

They can't do quite the same kind of stuff Disney dose and you understand why.

Remember Animal Kingdom's nighttime show?

It's hard to do impressive looking stuff without the big fireworks people expect.

That said, maybe they could pull off something with drones if they're allowed.

Not expecting Universal to utilize MK-style pyro, but I don't think Universal is afraid of utilizing some pyro on a nightly basis. The fireworks for Cinematic were impressive.

They were testing drones a few months back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom