Epcot's Broken (and other Updates)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Well.. A lot happened today at Epcot. (There will be pictures of SSE's postshow construction - I promise. )

Much of it involved things being broken or not working. :(

I'm gonna start by saying that I spend a lot of my free time singing the praises of Epcot to anyone who will hear them. However, I felt embarassed for anyone involved with the operation of the park today. It was a mess. It was sad and I was really crest fallen to see it in that shape.

I sincerely hope this is a fluke.

Ok. Where to start? It wasn't a busy day, rather an extremely slow day. They didn't even park all 4 main lots and barely touched the 3rd one which they did open.

Midafternoon, you pay your fee, and the parking attendants are nowhere to be found. That's a gripe I always have about Epcot - but since the lots are pretty much empty because it's an extremely slow day it's not a big deal at all. I still don't think you should charge people to find their own parking space though.

Good luck getting into the park though. The turnstiles broke down.

All of them. Half your party entered? Nope, your daughter isn't getting in until they come back up.

This took about 15-20 minutes, so not an entirely unreasonable amount of time, but not letting the parties which were halfway through even finish going though? That's just petty.

Spaceship Earth has "Siemens" featured in the audio now - yay! But the audio cuts out several times in other parts of the ride. Plus it's so badly jarring (something i've never though of it before) that it was actually painful plus the 20KLUTS screen was broken/off, and the all-important ascent safety-speil screens were frozen with no audio.

The Wonders of Life looks like crap. The DNA pond has severe algae, the audio in and around the building doesn't work and and CM's say "it's been reported" (it was down from 3pm until 7pm when the pavilion closed) the lights are burnt out on the buildings inside, the panels of the dome are torn, and the doors to backstage areas like the old store and the restaurant are left wide open.

No one in that building cares at all about it either. It's really sad.

All kinds of issues with CM's, which as a single or even a few I wouldn't care about, but as many as I saw it bothered me.

Guest Relations CM's walking right past smokers not in smoking areas and ignoring them. That bothered me a lot.

CM everywhere with their butts propped-up on ropes, poles, stantions, FP kiosks, planters, etc. They're not supposed to lean and they know it. You heard me turnstiles, Test Track, M:S, Spaceship Earth and Body Wars CM's!

Complaining about the company or management - to guests. I heard this one CM going on and on in the American Adventure holiday shopping courtyard to a guest about how she used work at Pizza Hut and how she's now at Disney and how people sometime sdon't like the managers. Sheesh! And the turnstiles - don't tell the guests that the turnstiles breakdown fairly often and the horror stories about how unreliable the computer system is.

On a more positive note - they removed the popcorn cart in future world east as you head to M:S and installed what appears to be the supports for the upcoming Tip Board in that area. Dead Center facing the breezeway.
In the West Breezeway there's now a big giant new cart-kiosk that is Pirates themed and sells those "stuff a skull" things. How that fits in Future World I don't know...

They've reversed the direction of the escalators in the Living Seas and put decals of the image of Peach (the starfish) with the pavilion's name on the trash cans at the The Seas with Nemo and Friends.

Less positive note, rain earlier in the day took out several christmas lights around the park. The tree lighting ceremony even had a patchy looking tree :(

Innoventions and Japan have new costumes. Innoventions CM's now wear green top and the Japan CM's are wearing a sort of plaid.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
SSE postshow photos...

Oo.. duct work..

09614744-sse1.jpg

blurry...

17395688-sse2.jpg

And i think these are walls and duct work.. and blurry!

sse3.jpg

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I feel a letter to Disney is in the works for you. I would write Disney and let them know that you had a negative experience.

DME

Sad to hear all this..if you end up do writing a letter...let us know what they say back to you.

kcnole

Normally Merf's posts are fairly positive and exciting regarding Epcot. People who visit a lot will notice all the broken things and it sounds like there were a lot of them today. It's a shame.

Speedbird

Got to say fair play here. Disney management may say they don't read posts on forums such as these, but in reality they do, or have people to do it for them, so much constructive criticism can be covertly sought and action taken. We have an official forum for my profession and our chief executive states that if he wants to know how he's doing as a manager, he looks at the forum. The lesser execs will only give him the 'yes man' and the 'everything's fine' answers. This is where the honest answers are found.

rdour@techminds

Hello,

I was at Epcot yesterday, and I noticed those things myself. My biggest issue is the people smoking outside of the designated areas. I was walking behind a cast member who was walking behind a smoker. We walked from Mission Space to the Wonders of Life. No action was taken.

One interesting thing though. A manager explained to me the Wonders of Life issue. Apparently, the sponsorships really do matter. Each section runs on its own budget. The Wonders of Life does not have a sponsor, and is in serious need of some good referb action. They therefore budget very little, enough to run it for 5 to 6 weeks a year. This is not done for the holiday rush, it is done just to allow the fans to enjoy it as is until a sponsor can be found.

I understand exactly why this is, and that is why I'm not freaking out about it. In a massive corporation like Disney, departments and regions exist with their own operating budget. Epcot is no different. Each area and their management is responsible for keeping within their budget. If they are given very little funding, it is up to them to present to higher management a business case justification for the budget increase. This is why I'm greatful it was open at all.

I have a binaural recording of Spaceship Earth I will share later with all of you. I want you to listen specifically to the ride system itself. I believe more than the bumping, the actual creaking noises disturb the experience. That place is so relaxing and awe inspiring. However, several scenes are very quiet and the noise created by the ride system is now distracting. Instead of thinking about early man, I'm wondering what the heck is going on beneath my feet.

To MouserMurph, I am that guy with the white cane that was walking around with my girlfriend. We both have white hair. We notice the same things you do, and comment about it. I think the single biggest annoyance we both experience is the ECVs that always seem to be double wide and like to find my cane. Is it hard to drive those things? It must be very dificult, because they spend an awful lot of time beeping that horn in a crowd when no one can go anywhere anyway. I think my favorite is the ECV drivers who beep their way through the crowd at the end of the day. You walk very slowly through Future World at park closing. it doesn't help that little kids who are tired are screaming. You add perfectly normal adults riding ECVs beeping their little buzzy horns in the mix. Then they just start pushing their way through the crowd, as if they are just a bit more important.

I am blind, and queues are very difficult to navigate when there are tons and tons of people involved. I more than appreciate the effort of the cast members to make the alternate entrances available to me. However, I also wait patiently, without beating people with my cane when leaving the park. I walk incredibly slow, just to make sure I don't trip someone. If it gets really bad, I hold onto the back of my girlfriend's backpack. Imagine coordinating left and right foot movements so I'm not constantly kicking her shoes. We've got that down pretty good now. But that is reality. We are incredibly considerate of other people around us. I don't want to trip people. So now you tell me why someone in a rented ECV feels the need to honk their way through the entire park. Just drive it, and be considerate of other people. I would love to say this is the minority of ECV drivers, but I'd be lying. I think many of these people don't use these devices outside of a massive walking environment like Epcot, and maybe they just are unhappy they have to use it at all. When my girlfriend notices someone in an electric wheelchair, they seem to be much more considerate. Now, most of the models I've seen from people I work with have a horn. They only use it if audio indication is necessary.

Basically, a combination of guest rudeness happens to be the biggest problem.

Ryan

Buried20KLeague

So, do you go to the parks every day HOPING that it will be less than perfect so that you can post about it?

What?!?!?!?!? :brick:

Merf is all ABOUT Epcot. This is one of the few negative posts on Epcot I've seen him make, and by the sounds of it seems warranted. Go ahead and let us know which of the items he listed is just him wanting to complain and not something an objective observer would find less than impressive.

Plus, even though he was posting about the negatives he saw, he found some postives to list as well.

You don't like it, quit reading. :mad:

Epcot82Guy

Thanks, as always, Merf. I, too, hope these issues will be addressed. It's odd in that many of these factors seemed to be getting better recently. Maybe gear up for the Holiday season? :veryconfu (not that that's an excuse).

I am excited to see SSE getting some work. I hope the problems are signs of things that are anticipated for change so that maintenance may have slipped a little due to their short timeframe. (wishful thinking, anyway!)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
What?!?!?!?!? :brick:

Merf is all ABOUT Epcot. This is one of the few negative posts on Epcot I've seen him make, and by the sounds of it seems warranted. Go ahead and let us know which of the items he listed is just him wanting to complain and not something an objective observer would find less than impressive.

Plus, even though he was posting about the negatives he saw, he found some postives to list as well.

You don't like it, quit reading. :mad:
:lol:

you must have missed the day when merf had another melt down with the parking attendants. it made him so mad he went and tried to find CM's and managers..... it wasnt pretty by the sound of it. im glad he didnt go "postal" and end up on fox with geraldo rivera

but yes, Merf looks out for EPCOT like it is his own.

and as for WoL, it is sad to see the algea at the DNA and the state it is in on the interior.... i ask, why open if it is like that, or why not plan to clean or at least make it presentable. good bye WoL, bring on the bulldozers.

IcicleM

Even though Red Lobster isn't Disney, haha, I work there, and when we have a slow day, I know almost everyone in the building is lazy. I, as a host, still do everything I need to do, and I seat guests with the same smile and attitude, but when I'm done, I go right back to the laziness of talking to the Servers and Seaters and Managers. I think it's just... I dunno, everyone feels that there's really no point in putting 100% into it when it's a slow day, and you don't know how many people are going to care.

Another issue that may have been going on with the turnstiles being broken for so long MAY have been because they didn't have as many technicians that day, that were set to fix them, so it (unfortunately) took a lot longer than it should have.

Whatever the case, I'm sure it was just a fluke that happened on a slow day.

Space Mountain

I knocked out all the Epcot turnstyles one day last year for about 20 minutes. (Gotta love having your ticket tag reset!)

Im starting to wish Disney would stop hiring so many CM's that dont care about their job. If youre not there to make guest's trips enjoyable and you are just there to have a place to work, you should quit and go somewhere else where you will be happy.

SSE might have things not working if their is a possible update being installed.

I dont blame WOL for looking like crap. Its been closed and abandoned for 3/4 a year. I would however have it kept in good shape if i was in charge of that stuff.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom