Epcot's Broken (and other Updates)

kcnole

My wifes ticket didn't work at fastpass in Epcot in January. Why? Because her ticket wouldn't scan at the gate correctly, so the attendent just waved her through. When we went to fastpass we were given a special fastpass card to use for her the rest of the day, so I know they have that option to give those to guests in lieu of making you walk all over the park to resolve the issue.

I just got back home on January 2nd and my family and I spent an entire two days in EPCOT. Honestly, I saw none of the things mentioned in this post. Spaceship Earth was running fine, the new Nemo ride was great and after dinner at Rose & Crown, our waitress directed to a special reserved area in front of the restuarant where we could wait for the fireworks. It rained on one of the nights, but the Beatles still showed up in England to play both of their shows, and the characters, including Alice in Wonderland, sat and played with my daughters in the toy store until it stopped raining. Sometimes, after a negative experience (like having to wait to get into the park) people might tend to look for all the negatives they can find. All I can say is that a bad day in EPCOT is better than a good day at work anyday. Try to keep things relative people!

Sorry to be pedantic, but the Beatles played in the United Kingdom, not in England.

England is a part of the UK, not the UK altogether.

It's rather annoying to Welsh, Scots and Irish to hear the UK referred to as England.

uklad79

Sorry to be pedantic, but the Beatles played in the United Kingdom, not in England.

England is a part of the UK, not the UK altogether.

It's rather annoying to Welsh, Scots and Irish to hear the UK referred to as England.

Sorry to be pedantic but it's not Irish (Ireland) it's the Northern Irish (Northern Ireland) that are part of the UK. ;)

Jimbobdaga

I just got back home on January 2nd and my family and I spent an entire two days in EPCOT. Honestly, I saw none of the things mentioned in this post. Spaceship Earth was running fine, the new Nemo ride was great and after dinner at Rose & Crown, our waitress directed to a special reserved area in front of the restuarant where we could wait for the fireworks. It rained on one of the nights, but the Beatles still showed up in England to play both of their shows, and the characters, including Alice in Wonderland, sat and played with my daughters in the toy store until it stopped raining. Sometimes, after a negative experience (like having to wait to get into the park) people might tend to look for all the negatives they can find. All I can say is that a bad day in EPCOT is better than a good day at work anyday. Try to keep things relative people!

Good god thank you kreiderr, it was the people like you that kept me from quitting my job when people threw cigarettes at me when I told them they couldn’t smoke. You still have the magic and you look at the positives, I’m happy to see people out there can still look at Disney this way and not pick it apart like some people. I remember this time of year sucked when I worked for Disney, a lot of the CM’s are College Program and a lot of them are experiencing their first Christmas’s away from home with out their family and they are home sick. During this time of year they schedule you to work 60 hours a week and you are at your wits end with people yelling at you and no cares your just the guy that presses the green button. And people like kreiderr are the reason CM’s show up to work every day, not the ones the complain because of a broken light that has been reported 100 times. Thank you kreiderr for being able to be positive and enjoy your time at Disney and making CM’s life’s easier.

DisneySaint

I remeber one time we had trouble one morning getting into MK at the turnstiles. My DD's AP was having troubles. The CM finally said to go through and at some point go the guest relations and have it replaced. We ended up back at the Splash FP machines and the ticket would not go through. I finally talked to the CM by the FP machines to get me the other FP and then I had to go back to the front of the park to straighten the whole mess out and waisted probably more than an hour of my day.

This is of your own accord, PhilharMagician. The CM's working at Fastpass distribution are and always have been empowered to fix situations like this with Fastpass keycards or by just printing an extra FP for you. If the CM was the one who told you to go back to the front of the park, I find that very odd that he didn't know the basic fundamentals of why he/she is stationed there in the first place.

DisneySaint

...a lot of the CM’s are College Program and a lot of them are experiencing their first Christmas’s away from home with out their family and they are home sick. During this time of year they schedule you to work 60 hours a week and you are at your wits end with people yelling at you and no cares your just the guy that presses the green button.

Preach on, brother. You know the pain!
This is why it's heartbreaking to read about a silly CM incident someone has - because I just don't think people grasp the concept.

DisneyNut7578

This irked my hubby and I, so, when he saw people doing this he would sit down beside them and start picking his nose and wiping it on and around them (he did this twice). It was really funny. I have never seen people who were smoking in the wrong spots move so fast..... I have a picture of it, it was funny. I will have to find it.... When the people would freaked out on him (he is a really big guy in the military) he would tell them that "well, everyone has their bad habits, but if you are going to share yours with me, than I will share mine with you.....

Note, these were smokers smoking very close to people standing in line.

Wow, I was stunned and very offended by this post. I can't imagine another human being thinking wiping bodily discharges on another would be funny in any way. Please, if someone is smoking in a non-designated area, tell a CM or have security called.

Obviously the CMs working turnstiles obviously aren't in authority to let people in without scanning a ticket, so don't blame them. And I'm sure there was a manager there who has that power, but look at it from another angle. If they let the remainder of the split up party in then everyone else who was waiting behind them would want to be let in without their tickets being scanned, and right there we've moved from fixing the anger of a few partys to having mass anger.

Yup yup. Thank you for wording it the way I wanted to word it originally. lol I mean, like I said, it's an enconvience, but though cookies, we have rules to follow. As it is, at that very moment, a lot of techs were probrably working on the problem to see what problems they were having.

This tends to be the norm with those in my demographic though, the vets know how to BS very well to make normal tasks take forever. :lol:

I love tasking at the tipboard! I love it love it love it!!! All those bright lights and whatnot. The hidden mickeys at the tipboard is a sight to see when children come wobbling around to touch it! And when I tell them about it, they go crazy and yell back to their parents all the way back saying "LOOK IT MOM LOOK IT!!" Ahh, I love tipboard. I should write a poem >_>

"Ode to Tipboard" >_>; Okay, I need to get to work......I wonder how busy it'll be tonight on extra magic hours? I'm doing character connection so come on by ^_^

I kinda wish I was one of those cp cms getting 60 hours this week ~_~; I'm only getting 40. lol They have me working 1:30-7:30 for the rest of the week. I better illuminate soon before I pop! I want to work it at least one more time before I take off. I also better be illuminating on new years eve....Oh man, I really really hope so.

wdwishes2005

heh, I wasnt the only one taking picturees of ductwork the other day. As soon as I get home and upload pictures you can see what looks to be some sort of screen in the postshow.

dreamscometrue

Good god thank you kreiderr, it was the people like you that kept me from quitting my job when people threw cigarettes at me when I told them they couldn’t smoke. You still have the magic and you look at the positives, I’m happy to see people out there can still look at Disney this way and not pick it apart like some people. I remember this time of year sucked when I worked for Disney, a lot of the CM’s are College Program and a lot of them are experiencing their first Christmas’s away from home with out their family and they are home sick. During this time of year they schedule you to work 60 hours a week and you are at your wits end with people yelling at you and no cares your just the guy that presses the green button. And people like kreiderr are the reason CM’s show up to work every day, not the ones the complain because of a broken light that has been reported 100 times. Thank you kreiderr for being able to be positive and enjoy your time at Disney and making CM’s life’s easier.

There are still lots of us who realize that CM's are people and are happy to treat them with respect. You typically get back what you give in dealing with human beings. It takes a lot to upset me because by simply taking a fraction of a second to put myself in another's shoes, I can almost always understand why they are acting as they are.

During every trip to WDW, we observe rude, obnoxious, self centered people who feel like the world should revolve around them. This always makes me wonder one thing. If they are like this while on vacation in the happiest place on earth, what are they like everyday at 'home'? Kind of scary to think about.

wedway71

I happen to love Epcot the most over any other theme park.I remember following closely the Epcot Project in the late 70s to 82.When it opened I fell in love.I enjoy Mousemerfs trip reports about Epcot.
As a Hardlines Exec for Target and hopefully an Exec for WDW in Merchandise/Product Developement I dont understand the POTC cart being anywhere near where it was placed unless is just a temp cart untill something else goers there.This is poor merchandise theming.I know TWDC wants to push POTC since is was a blockbuster but do it in places where it makes sense.MK is fine and maybe Mexico(Carribean theming) or England(just kidding to the prior posters) I mean UK.
When im V.P. Merchandise-WDW that the first thing ill change.-lol;)

I happen to love Epcot the most over any other theme park.I remember following closely the Epcot Project in the late 70s to 82.When it opened I fell in love.I enjoy Mousemerfs trip reports about Epcot.
As a Hardlines Exec for Target and hopefully an Exec for WDW in Merchandise/Product Developement I dont understand the POTC cart being anywhere near where it was placed unless is just a temp cart untill something else goers there.This is poor merchandise theming.I know TWDC wants to push POTC since is was a blockbuster but do it in places where it makes sense.MK is fine and maybe Mexico(Carribean theming) or England(just kidding to the prior posters) I mean UK.
When im V.P. Merchandise-WDW that the first thing ill change.-lol;)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the pirates cart is only there till the holidays are over.

CatLady

Wow, I was stunned and very offended by this post. I can't imagine another human being thinking wiping bodily discharges on another would be funny in any way. Please, if someone is smoking in a non-designated area, tell a CM or have security called.
If you are smoking and I can smell it, then the nicotine-laden discharges from yoru lungs are not just getting wiped on me... they're actually entering my body, since my sense of smell is on the inside, not the outside. I, like a lot of others, have trouble breathing when I breathe in cigarette smoke. It is unfortunate that some people are inconsiderate, but they sometomes don't see how incredibly inconsiderate they are until someone points it out in a way that grosses THEM out.

I agree that the "right" thing to do is to tell a CM is smoking in a non-designated area. However, that (a) doesn't work, since many CMs won't confront the guests, and (b) would not be practical unless I carried a CM around with me, because the smokers are literally everywhere. Smokers will hold a cigarette behind their back and smile at a CM as they walk past. They know it's wrong, but they do it anyhow.

I have brought heavy smokers to Disney, and it's a drag (bad pun) to literally see Epcot by going from smoking area to smoking area. I'm sure that's why some smokers behave the way they do. But they're endangering the well-being of people around them who have smoke sensitivity by refusing to follow the rules, so, yes, I thought that was humorous.

MojoMax

I too am a huge Epcot fan. It is our favorite park. That said, I have also noticed these things going on here once and a while. I am a little disheartened. Hopefully it will be all upgraded and taken care of soon. You gotta figure the wear and tear on this equipment is huge. As for Smerf, usually a very good read, and positive; I respect the smerf. :)

dreamscometrue

I too am a huge Epcot fan. It is our favorite park. That said, I have also noticed these things going on here once and a while. I am a little disheartened. Hopefully it will be all upgraded and taken care of soon. You gotta figure the wear and tear on this equipment is huge. As for Smerf, usually a very good read, and positive; I respect the smerf. :)

I work in a building in which there have been quite a few unsightly areas the past few years. Some of those are areas which need some improvement, but others have been temporary situations as a result of the process of renovating and upgrading. Some of Epcot appears to be in need of tlc simply because it's showing it's age, but hopefully most of the 'unsightly' situations are in the name of improvement and progress and I'm happy that's happening. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom