EPCOT Update: AT&T & Pure and Simple Gone, and What's Left of Food Rocks

cloudboy

The thing is Innoventions COULD be easy to keep up to date, but then Disney would have to relinquish control to the companies exhibiting. Let them put up their own displays and keep them changing to highlight their own new technology. I think Disney is afraid to do this, however, since it will become too much free advertising which Disney can't seem to tolerate.

As far as blocking the other buildings, that is one think I DON'T like about the current design. Particulalry for Universe of Energy and Wonders of Life - I wonder if removing the east building might actualy draw in more crowds to those since they will be more visible.

Expo_Seeker40

Yes worfbb7, it was called the Earth Station, and was a large guest relations facility best remembered by it's giant screens near the celing. The global neighborhood took its spot, now it's a controversy wether the global neighborhood will just be updated without AT&T, or if it will be the simulator.

Couldn't Innoventions be renamed Communicore? Kind of like a nice tribute, but with new features and exhibits. I wouldn't mind demolishing one of the buildings, but I would think keeping Communicore/Innoventions East would be necessary.

Jiko

Originally posted by worfbb77
You could chane UoE with Ellen running Nakid through the show and still no one would see it:lol:

It's always been crowded when I've been there.

But as for that mental picture: :hurl: Ellen, romping about with the dinosaurs. Not my thing, but I'm sure it's a fetish for someone...somewhere.

aimster

Originally posted by Expo_Seeker40
Couldn't Innoventions be renamed Communicore?

OMG! I totally loved Communicore when I was a kid. I was so sad to see it get changed over to Innoventions, which is nothing but an elaborate video arcade to me.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Communicore seemed a bit more based on show than on selling companies. . . I particularly liked the SMRT-I. . . and the efforts placed in the "Age of Information" and "Astuter Computer Review" were commendable.

To answer your question, Sir Worf, the continuation of the Living Seas rehab is NOT being reconsidered based on Pixar relations; Disney has full right to use the characters however it will in the deal.

Everything's based on saving money.

epcot2004

Originally posted by SirNim
I am very fond of the "futuristic" designs of the Future World pavilions in all truth. The Innoventions Plaza, flanked by the two Innoventions crescents on the eastern and western sides, has a very inspiring air to it, imho... :) Though the Innoventions buildings themselves are not as awe-inspiring as, say, SE, they do contribute to the wonderful aura defined by vintage EPCOT Center. :)

I totally agree! I couln't have said it better myself.

jrashadb

All of this seems kind of odd.
Of course, Grizz's word is always solid, but I dunno.

Of course, the Canada thing is a good idea. Honestly, I like tha area, but it's usually where a walkway from the Rose and Crown to FW for me. Putting a ride there would give me and others more reason to hang out in a pretty-well themed area.
(BTW -- I've never seen O Canada, because nobody will go see it with me. I'm sure it's a very nice show, but I wouldn't know... kinda sucks, I know.)

Now... for Innoventions.
I know this has already been talked about a little, but this idea sounds very similar to something in Gemini. I remember soething about making FW more green. I didn't like it hten, and I'm not sure if I like it now.
What about MouseGear? What about The Electric Umbrella? What about The Fountain View... hell, what about the Fountain?!
I don't know... maybe it wcould all work out. But, I have to admit, I get a little jumpy when the current leadership starts hatching ideas to completely change an area.

As for the Living Seas, I was there a couple of weeks ago, and I wasn't... dissapointed, exactly. That's not quite the word. I saw the Nemo stuff, and I thought some of it was cute. But, there was just something so... unfinished about it. I figured it was unfinished, but if they've run out of money and are unable to do anything else with the pavilion, they're in trouble. Also, the Sea Cabs should be opened up again. To be honest, the ride wasn't all that much, but it was still a nice appetizer to Sea Base Alpha.

Anyway... They'd better treat my park right. SE better not get screwed up. It needs a sponsor badly. The idea of the post-show being empty indeffinitely scares me. I like the Earth Station idea quite a bit. Something has to be done.

say, grizz... what's this ride in Canada supposed to be like? And, do you have a rundown of what the area that would replace Innoventions would look like?

Dayma

Anyway... They'd better treat my park right. SE better not get screwed up. It needs a sponsor badly. The idea of the post-show being empty indeffinitely scares me. I like the Earth Station idea quite a bit. Something has to be done.

I agree with you on your points. I think that the Living Seas has a lot more problems than SSE. I never have any problem getting into the Living Seas at all.

jrashadb

Originally posted by blackride
I agree with you on your points. I think that the Living Seas has a lot more problems than SSE. I never have any problem getting into the Living Seas at all.

Oh, yeah... That place is a ghost town. even with the fancy Nemo sculptures out front, TLS is still regularly empty. It's a shame, though, because the pavilion is so cool. It has a lot of potential. The company has just ruined this pavilion.
As foe SSE, well, I look at it this way. SSE is the signature attraction for this park. Of course everybody talks about M:S and TT, but people walk into Epcot, and ride SSE. They can't afford this attraction to fall into dissrepair. If it does, it'll just detract from the park entirely.
Bad scene.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Living Seas was VERY crowded on a low-crowded day. Lots of guests showed up all day, so I think that's very great news.

I have no specific details for Innoventions or the Water Ride at this time.

MAJOR UPDATE!: A secondary source totally different from the original executive source has confirmed that WDI is looking into demoloshing Innoventions.

I am assuming the fountain would stay.

Dayma

SSE is the signature attraction for this park. Of course everybody talks about M:S and TT, but people walk into Epcot, and ride SSE.

I think signature attractions should have a strong story element to them and I dont think M:S and TT have that. This is just my opinion of course.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Also, M:S and Test Track are extremely short with huge wait lines. SE is a pleaser in that it's quickly loading, and it's a long ride - but there's so much to look at and learn.

If TT and MS had extensive and worthwhile post-shows (i.e. imagine LANDING on Mars! There was the room available for this!) with awe-inspiring score and song, well, then, I might dub these to attractions "classics."

I wish the current scenario were not the case.

Chefjason1974

Originally posted by DMC-12
The area in and around Innoventions is a concrete hell hole that gets hotter than the core of the sun, in the middle of the summer :lol: or anytime... period. Its very bland.... There is very litte shade around that area. I say plant lots of trees and green it up... and do it tastefully! And maybe add a few buildings here and there with bathrooms, and maybe some food carts offering unique food items...:sohappy:

Couldn't Agree more!

PeeplMoovr

Thanks for the updates....

just my $.02, (as if it matters)...

SSE is my favorite ride in WDW, and I'd like it even more if the aftershow area doesn't stay closed down for too long.

Re: Futureworld:
I'm nostalgic. In the 1980's EPCOT was far and away my favorite park. Then it changed (Horizons, WoM, etc., you know the story). In 2002 I brought my wife to WDW - it was her first time there.
When we talk about our trip, her memory is great and she loved all of it. But invariably, when we get to discussing FutureWorld, something like this comes out of her mouth:
"I don't remember that too well. It was all confusing and one big blur".
She wasn't inspired. Funny, because that's what I thought the whole point of EPCOT was - to inspire, teach... you get my point. She doesn't remember what the buildings look like, or even what much of the rides and attractions offered outside of Test Track and Cranium Command (she really liked CC).
So I'm nostalgic. And I realize some changes should take place - but not change just for change's sake. I generally still really enjoy FutureWorld and if they ever destroy SSE I'll throw in the white towel. But some of these changes sound promising. Some of them sound... inspiring at least.
Because Innoventions doesn't inspire me in the least.

Dayma

Does anyone know if AT&T dropped all sponsorship or just SSE? They also sonsored the INDY ride at DisneyLand I belive...

Dayma

If TT and MS had extensive and worthwhile post-shows (i.e. imagine LANDING on Mars! There was the room available for this!) with awe-inspiring score and song, well, then, I might dub these to attractions "classics."

Thats why I am not in LOVE with these rides. The experience is good but the whole all around Begginng - Middle - End is just not that great....

Michael72688

I personally think SE will never get another sponsor, its too old and out dated for most people. Actually I hope it doesnt get a sponsor, that companies are smart enough to sponsor rides that are actually up to date

FigmentJedi

Originally posted by Michael72688
I personally think SE will never get another sponsor, its too old and out dated for most people. Actually I hope it doesnt get a sponsor, that companies are smart enough to sponsor rides that are actually up to date
Dangit Michael, do you wanna hear that "BEWARE THE MONKEYS" speech again! All Spaceship Earth needs is another update. My idea is to add the Sage of Time as the narrator, get rid of the videophones, and have the descent be a tribute to the family scenes in Horizons, including the birthday party, fun with no gravity(Look Ma! I'm flying!),the boyfriend and girlfriend on the videophone(Now a "Holo-Chat"system). Oh and bring back Tommorow's Child!

ImagineerFan04

Thanks for the great Epcot update Grizz. World Showcase could use some more ride attractions. It would be a great addition as long as they make it longer then Kali river rapids it could be a great ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom