EPCOT Update: AT&T & Pure and Simple Gone, and What's Left of Food Rocks

TinkerBell9988

General Grizz!!!!

Thank you so much for this update!! WOW! I just got back from WDW today, and I was mainly at EPCOT this whole weekend, what a coincidence :)

The Canada idea sounds neat, that would make the pavilion so exciting. I'm kinda envisioning an attraction like DCA's...

The Innoventions idea--- I am very "if-y" about... It sounds alright, just don't take away MouseGear. I never visit Innoventions anyway for some reason.

When my mom and I rode SE this weekend, the both of us noticed all of the AT&T logos gone, covered by a picture of SE or black tape...lol. Does this attraction need a sponsor or can it ride alone?

I visited the Land on Saturday, had lunch at the Sunshine Food Fair, and went to visit the Food Rocks area. I also went to the restrooms by Imagination and peeked behind the fence to see the Soarin' building. Man, you can see that thing from Italy! Its looking pretty good, I can't wait to see the finished product.

Anyway, thanks for the update and I'm looking forward to these interesting changes in EPCOT!

PhotoDave219

The lack of sponsors is cause for concern, IMO. The lack of cash is begininng to show its problems at these sponsor-less attractions.

Blizz

I wouldnt worry unless a ride like Test Track lost sponsership. SE doesnt cost as much to run as others that still retain sponsership.

Woody13

Originally posted by Blizz
I wouldnt worry unless a ride like Test Track lost sponsership. SE doesnt cost as much to run as others that still retain sponsership.

General Motors and the Walt Disney Company signed a new contract in 1994 that ensures GM’s presence at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida until the 21st Century. The contract extends the partnership at Epcot until 2007. GM has realized for many years that their sponsorship at Epcot has been a waste of money. They hired digitas to help them in this regard:

http://www.digitas.com/results/gmtesttrack_cs.asp

Come 2007, GM is gone!

P.S. If not for Eisner, GM would have pulled the plug a long time ago!

DigitalDisney

These rumors are indeed interesting

Innoventions - The concept is pretty interesting to say the least. However, consider that Innoventions is the home of the largest shop in Epcot, and several food establishments. In other words, sources of income.

I just don't see Disney tearing all of that down unless they had plans to relocate some of that stuff. Maybe they're going to put it in Wonders of Life? Who knows. No matter what, most of that stuff has to go somewhere...

Canada - I LIKE it!! I can't say I'm surprised, seeing the success of Kali Rapids in AK and Grizzly Run in DCA. Hopefully they won't ruin the rest of the pavilion by installing this...

Yen_Sid1

I can see tearing down Innoventions West with no problems. But Innoventions East, that would be a major undertaking. Since that is where all the audio and show controls signals come from. That would be a massive rewiring job.

But they have moved Epcot Central Base to Magic Kingdom base and moved AK base to the Studios base. Maybe there is something going eventually.

mickhyperion

My first impression of Future World on my first visit a couple of years ago was incredible disappointment. Probably because I was looking forward to it more than any other part of WDW (after dreaming about visiting for many years), but also because I could not believe how outdated it felt.

Concepts which probably worked very well 20 years ago are showing their age. Most notably to me are the architecture of the Innoventions buildings and FW amenities such as benches and planters, the 80's mall feel of the interior of the Wonders of Life and Land buildings, and the coldness (despite the heat) of the overall layout and landscaping of FW.

I think the removal of the Innoventions buildings is a great idea. They severely date the entire park. More greenspaces with lush, interesting designs can only improve the place. The contrast between FW and WS is too stark. This would be fine if FW's future-ness was more dramatic, but as it is, there isn't any at all. It's also a pedestrian's worst nightmare in places - the bizarre trek around the Odyssey building comes to mind, as well as the huge barren space between SE and the fountain.

I think it's hard for some longtime visitors to see how outdated things have become. Sentimentality often seems to hinder the imagination, despite the parks' continual need for change and innovation. This isn't a criticism, just an observation. We all want new attractions, yet we don't want anything to change in the process. Future World needs some change though.

Since I'm relatively new and unknown on these boards... I'm currently a conceptual artist working with public artists in Seattle, assisting in the design of public spaces, sculptures, and amenities.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wellll.... how a thread can grow overnight!!

After a restless nights sleep thinking about the demise of Innoventions (sad or what!) I have to say I think it would be a BIG mistake. The argument seems split on two sides - those who want to keep the indoor areas (for rest, shopping, toilets and/or attractions, plus DACS) and those who want to see a wide space of trees from M:S to The Land.

Why not both? Take the original Gemini idea and remove the breezeway roofs, creating four separate buildings. With a well planned refurb the remaining buildings could loose the 80`s feel some people here think they have. Why not put slated pitched roofs on them at the same time? Make it less futuristic? And by all means put the gardens, trees and fountains in around and against the buildings (this may even partially camoflage them). One quarter of Innoventions (say south west) is big enough to accomodate a new attraction, or a small themed pavillion. I want to visit Epcot on holiday, not a national park. Would they drop admission prices if there were less to see? Doubt that !

As for sponsorship - this is worrying. TWDC are getting a painful welcome to the real world, where nothing pays for itself. Does O`Canada still have a sponsor? If not, then the CircleVision Theatre could be ripe to become a queue... and this just stinks of Rocket Rods... who in there right mind would turn a multi million dollar attraction into a waiting area? (don`t answer - we know who!) I am all for additional WS atractions, but not at the expense of existing ones. The film does need updating (like Wonders/Reflections did) but whats the percentage of daily guests coming through who have never been to Epcot, never seen a CV360 film, and are just totally engrossed in the concept and thouroughly enjoy it? I`ve only seen it 4 times myself!

Only time will tell... but lets not have another Horizons fiasco at Innoventions!!

General Grizz

Original Poster
Originally posted by Defend10
Really? How confident are you in this?

All I know is that it's being reconsidered. Sea Cabs may or may not come based on the budget. . . I know before their return was nearly confirmed.

And that whole systems change from EPCOT and Magic Kingdom - - - that's a good point.

AndyP

I think AT&T leaving is a shame, the ride and the sponsorship fitted extremely well together, at least I thought so! I don't think new sponsors will be gagging to get in to sponsor SSE but hopefully one will be found that brings in enough money to give it a revamp and a new edgeif its going to remain open. I think even those who love this attraction loads agree that it does need just a little makeover ? (tell me if I'm wrong). As for the canadian water ride, that sounds really promising, exactly what WSC needs! Plus, if the ride system is like journey to atlantis, which it sounds like, then I'm sure it would be a huge hit. However, if its themed to brother bear then it may be only a tame ride, since little children would like to ride ? I can't see Disney doing a theme such as that and then creating a fairly intense ride such as Journey to Atlantis (since the roller coaster part there is fairly intense!). I suppose its just watch this space!

Thanks for a great update and the good photos!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally posted by AndyPretty
Plus, if the ride system is like journey to atlantis, which it sounds like, then I'm sure it would be a huge hit.

Who ever mentioned Journey to Atlantis` ride system? I made a comment regarding how rumours change and start to become facts, very much like Chinese Whispers... it was a joke about a hybrid water coaster!! See what I meant by `give it 24 hours and the boards will be full of threads about a new hybrid water coaster in WS`...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ToTBellHop

Canada-plans call for a new Water Rapids ride to be built as part of the Canadian pavilion, next to the space which will be empty after Soarin’ is finished. This ride may be themed to Brother Bear, and could possibly involve a coaster track.

That was a joke? Coulda fooled me...

Dayma

I think that SSE just needs some cleanup and it will be fine.

Inoventions needs to go since there is not much new there at all.

I am sure that they will get some more sponsors eventually for SSE but it cant be one of the more expansive rides to maintain.

yodathefrog

I have no clue about this, but could the new fountain and "nature" area between Test Track and M:S be a test of sorts to see how guests react to a more "fountain and tree" Future World?

General Grizz

Original Poster
As for Food Rocks, I am unsure who was saved and who wasn't. I DO know that many of the AAs were thrown into the dumpsters.

Maybe the destruction crew thought the AAs were simply disposable flats. ;)

Seriously though, I hope Mr. Dairy Goods and the original KK items were saved. It's a shame that the Kabaret theater is now, basically, a warehouse... *le sigh*

worfbb77

I beg do not change SSE - love that ride add some new sceens update it and change the ending. Could ride that for hours - ok not hours but you know what I mean:lol:

Is the stoppage of adding Nemo into The Living Seas due to the fact Pixar just pulled away from Disney?

Also tear down innovations so boaring and its tough to keep it up to date.

How about the add the O'Canada show at the end of the water ride like norway? that is something I could see.

worfbb77

Sorry had another question whe SSE first opened didn't have monitors where you could make reservations for the different restarunts? Or am I just :hammer:

Irrawaddy Erik

Originally posted by SirNim
I am very fond of the "futuristic" designs of the Future World pavilions in all truth. The Innoventions Plaza, flanked by the two Innoventions crescents on the eastern and western sides, has a very inspiring air to it, imho... :) Though the Innoventions buildings themselves are not as awe-inspiring as, say, SE, they do contribute to the wonderful aura defined by vintage EPCOT Center. :)
They also act as Curtains (like the Train Station on Main Street) so that you cannot see the Pavillions till you pass through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom