Epcot / Germany River Ride

basas

Guess who had some free time on their hands.... sad old git!

Here you go... I present.... Germany. Or it would be if these May 1981 designs were finished. First is today. Next is the completed building. Last is a cutaway of the ride path. Now... who`s for Italy?? :D

So is there any chance of this ever being built? I mean...it just seems like so much of a waste to have so much space back there, have World Showcase needing something new, and not utilizing it...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So is there any chance of this ever being built?
Every chance. It just needs the money.

Same for Italy. And Switzerland was to go between them to a) share filtraction systems and water supplies, and b) balance up the skyline, since Japan would have had a mountain of its own.

Most of these concepts could still come to fruition as planned with the will and financial support. Apart from the UAE. Someone put Norway there :lol:

Scar Junior

Don`t forget Venezuela, Spain http://forums.wdwmagic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23597&d=1165954746 , Israel and (not shown) Denmark.

...if you thought Disney World was on Islamic fascist's hitlist before...just imagine what might have happen if they gave the "zionists" their own promotional pavillion! :( Oh well... stuff happens. I love all the concept art and imagining what might have been and what oneday could be.

Thank you Marni. I love all the maps, concept art and info you provide us on a daily basis. Keep it up! :wave:
-Scar

PS. I find my post highly ironic considering my avatar is me dressed as "OsamaBrad Laden".

RedSoxPirate

The merchandise of each of the countries is not necessarily from that country. For example, the Transformer action figures in Japan are from the line made in the United States. The plum "sake" on sale there is basically just Plum wine. The Chinese restaurant serves what Americans consider Chinese food, but not what is actually served in China. These are just a few things. Before expanding, I think that Disney should focus on making what is there now more authentic.

Good ideas. Sadly, your examples are not necessarily on point as, if I remember correctly, both pavilions above are operated by corporations in their respective countries. I know Mitsukoshi runs Japan at least.

ag2000

Noooo - I can`t just post it. Parts will be used in some of my forthcoming videos though.

Can you keep the text speed somewhat slow? Your 1986 Epcot video text zips by way too fast IMHO. You put lots of good picutes in but i find myself pausing and rewinding to first read, then look at the detail in some of the pics, and sometimes to reread it again.

CThaddeus

I don't understand this hubbub about "stereotypes". :confused: It's the world showcase, and the whole idea is to give a sampling of various countries and their cultures. So, basically, the place is full of stereotypes and there's not a darn thing wrong with that. In order to sample Mexican culture, for example, there has to be the sombrero's, the evening market scene, etc. In Norway, you will see Trolls, viking ships, etc. In Germany, you will see references to Hansel and Gretel, pickles on the Christmas tree, etc. And yes, in Canada, you will see....or at least SHOULD see....Mounties, lumberjacks, etc. In each of these countries, the aforementioned things are things which are characteristic of their respective cultures. So I wish that our current society, in this culture of political correctness would get over this mamby pamby boohooing about friggin' stereotypes. If that's gonna be everyone's attitude, then we may as well just get rid of WS entirely, because the whole freakin' place is full of them. And rightly so. You can't show a sampling of a culture without having some kind of "stereotype" in mind of what is characteristic of that culture so that you can present it to your audience.

You forgot the trailer trash wandering around the American Adventure...

P.S. Any day now, Martin...I just hope it's useful!

tomm4004

Disney sold the pavillions to the countries as a way to promote tourism. Guests seeing the pavillion were supposed to want to see the "real thing".

Many (most?) guests wind up seeing the WS as an alternative to seeing the "real thing".

After first visiting WS in 1986 my goal became to visit all of the countries - for real. And I've been fortunate enough to do so, the last being Morocco in 1999. My other goal was to see all of the places in the French film. I've seen most of the places in visits in 1986, 1997, 2002 and 2006 (I have a list), most recently the Loire, Brittany, and Beynac. I still have not been to Cassis, Vezelay or Mont St. Michel. If you recall the shot of the couple walking along an ocean cliffside in the twlight - I took that exact picture in the same conditions. I always loved that scene.

I'm sure others were inspired as was I. I doubt many people would forgo a trip abroad after visiting WS. It's probably just an alternative for people who would not have gone anyway. It's fun to talk to the CMs. They always seem quite surprised to hear that I've visited their country, especially Morocco, China and Japan.

WhyteAL

I don't understand this hubbub about "stereotypes". :confused: It's the world showcase, and the whole idea is to give a sampling of various countries and their cultures. So, basically, the place is full of stereotypes and there's not a darn thing wrong with that. In order to sample Mexican culture, for example, there has to be the sombrero's, the evening market scene, etc. In Norway, you will see Trolls, viking ships, etc. In Germany, you will see references to Hansel and Gretel, pickles on the Christmas tree, etc. And yes, in Canada, you will see....or at least SHOULD see....Mounties, lumberjacks, etc. In each of these countries, the aforementioned things are things which are characteristic of their respective cultures. So I wish that our current society, in this culture of political correctness would get over this mamby pamby boohooing about friggin' stereotypes. If that's gonna be everyone's attitude, then we may as well just get rid of WS entirely, because the whole freakin' place is full of them. And rightly so. You can't show a sampling of a culture without having some kind of "stereotype" in mind of what is characteristic of that culture so that you can present it to your audience.

I understand what you mean and I agree with you but I think a definition of a streotype is more like stateing something offensive that we carry because of our ingnorance of other cultures, peoples, religions, etc. Like saying all balcks are in good in sports, all jews are money hungry, all mexicans are lazy, all puerto ricans are dumb, all cubans are scamers, all italians are in the mob, etc. I think thoses are sterotypes but stuff such eating nachos in mexico, and mexican sombreros and trolls are really part of those respective countries culture and have nothing to do with sterotypes. So I do belive we have to curb our use and try to elimate forms of sterotypes as a people, but also correct people on the use of the word sterotype to it's actual definition and seperate it from culture habits, and those peoples or places history which has nothing to do with sterotypes. :cool:

sbkline

I understand what you mean and I agree with you but I think a definition of a streotype is more like stateing something offensive that we carry because of our ingnorance of other cultures, peoples, religions, etc. Like saying all balcks are in good in sports, all jews are money hungry, all mexicans are lazy, all puerto ricans are dumb, all cubans are scamers, all italians are in the mob, etc. I think thoses are sterotypes but stuff such eating nachos in mexico, and mexican sombreros and trolls are really part of those respective countries culture and have nothing to do with sterotypes. So I do belive we have to curb our use and try to elimate forms of sterotypes as a people, but also correct people on the use of the word sterotype to it's actual definition and seperate it from culture habits, and those peoples or places history which has nothing to do with sterotypes. :cool:

I agree with you to a point, but the problem is that the person I was quoting was saying that the Canadian government objected to the use of lumberjacks and mounties as being "stereotypes" and my further problem is that the poster I quoted seemed to agree that those were stereotypes and that they should have been left out. I don't see how having lumberjacks and mounties in a Canada pavillion is any more of a stereotype than having trolls in the Norway pavillion, or having a festive Octoberfest atmosphere in the German pavillion, or having belly dancers in the Moroccan pavillion.

Heck, I'm not even as against typical stereotypes as most people are nowdays for the simple fact that stereotypes themselves aren't totally based in ignorance. There is a reason why different cultures and races are stereotyped in certain ways and that's because certain behavior patterns seemed to be more prevalent in one race or culture than in others.

But to the extent that I agree that stereotyping is bad, or at least that it should be used with discretion, I think that people really need to get a grip nowdays and quit crying "stereotype" at the drop of a hat.

DisneyDragon

I agree with you to a point, but the problem is that the person I was quoting was saying that the Canadian government objected to the use of lumberjacks and mounties as being "stereotypes" and my further problem is that the poster I quoted seemed to agree that those were stereotypes and that they should have been left out. I don't see how having lumberjacks and mounties in a Canada pavillion is any more of a stereotype than having trolls in the Norway pavillion, or having a festive Octoberfest atmosphere in the German pavillion, or having belly dancers in the Moroccan pavillion.

Heck, I'm not even as against typical stereotypes as most people are nowdays for the simple fact that stereotypes themselves aren't totally based in ignorance. There is a reason why different cultures and races are stereotyped in certain ways and that's because certain behavior patterns seemed to be more prevalent in one race or culture than in others.

But to the extent that I agree that stereotyping is bad, or at least that it should be used with discretion, I think that people really need to get a grip nowdays and quit crying "stereotype" at the drop of a hat.

I don't even know where to start with this one...

First, the Canadian government considered the imagery too stereotypical to consider supporting financially, not me. I was 12 when Epcot opened...

Second, I did state that the movie could be improved (besides the mangled French in the song). I live in Toronto - the 4th largest city in North America - and not a stone's throw away from beautiful wilderness.

Third, if you understood Canada at all, you would have found my comment about Tim Horton's to be very Canadian, very stereotypical and pretty funny.

Fourth, where exactly did I say to leave out the Mounties and lumberjacks? And please be careful when you use the word 'seem' to redirect my statements. In both cases, you made incorrect statements based on some form of misguided interpretation.

Fifth, all of WS is one big stereotype of cultures. My friends and colleagues around the world find our respective pavillions to be kind of humourous with what is included and what is omitted. Even the American Adventure is a stereotype - A grand, spectacular show and fast food counter service - c'mon now that is funny. Spectacle and French Fries - how American is that? The omission there is a Wal-Mart and a trailer park (a paraphrase from a friend in Spring Hill, TN).

But please don't accuse me of stereotyping. I've seen the Michael Moore movies. You've got an SUV...so you can drive here. You own many guns...so you can shoot me. However, you will keel over from a heart attack due to being overweight...

But you won't cry stereotyping at the drop of a hat. C'mon...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You guys should be happy you have an attraction; we have a castle from Durham, a house from Stratford upon Avon, and a pub they pulled down a few years ago for an office block.

Oh, and a nice little square. Like every British inner city has. Not.

Thankfully they didn`t build the vaudaville theatre. By now the stereotypical animatronics would have gone the way of Kitchen Kabaret (the inspiration) and we`d be left with a Mary Poppins meet`n`greet.

And still no Aquaduct or Trevor in sight....

JeannieD

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, so, Hello!!

Anyway, I'm only 23 and I personally LOVE World Showcase. It's so relaxing and beautiful. And I'm not going to lie, I love going around to the countries and trying their different drinks! Mexico has those delicious margaritas. Italy with the Bellini (Which, my father actually purchased 2 cases of it for my graduation party! They were a HIT!), the strawberry champagne from France. I just think it's so much fun. It actually one of my favorite areas of Disney World.

So it's not just for the older adults :animwink:

sbkline

Fourth, where exactly did I say to leave out the Mounties and lumberjacks?

I got that impression from this part of your post: "I do know that the Canadian government didn't pony up for the Canada pavillion because Disney was insisting on using too many stereotypes in the pavillions - lumberjacks, Mounties, etc... I am really hoping that the new movie for Canada shows a marked improvement over the last one - it was okay - but the many stereotypes were too much..."

Fifth, all of WS is one big stereotype of cultures. My friends and colleagues around the world find our respective pavillions to be kind of humourous with what is included and what is omitted. Even the American Adventure is a stereotype - A grand, spectacular show and fast food counter service - c'mon now that is funny. Spectacle and French Fries - how American is that? The omission there is a Wal-Mart and a trailer park (a paraphrase from a friend in Spring Hill, TN).

Exactly. That was the whole point that I was making in my post. So, since we seem to agree here, I must apologize for the misunderstanding. :wave:

But please don't accuse me of stereotyping. I've seen the Michael Moore movies. You've got an SUV...so you can drive here. You own many guns...so you can shoot me. However, you will keel over from a heart attack due to being overweight...

But you won't cry stereotyping at the drop of a hat. C'mon...

I didn't accuse you of stereotyping. I accused you of accusing EPCOT of stereotyping. :lol:

Anyway, like I said, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Spring Breeze

Check the picture below, (I hope it shows up, I have never placed pics on here) anyway look through the arch on the right side of the pic and you will see the painted facade. The Doors I hear for both entry and exit are still behind there.

1137639536.jpg
those do look like the housing of an attraction. if it was given that germany made a ride..we'd go there often

DisneyDragon

I got that impression from this part of your post: "I do know that the Canadian government didn't pony up for the Canada pavillion because Disney was insisting on using too many stereotypes in the pavillions - lumberjacks, Mounties, etc... I am really hoping that the new movie for Canada shows a marked improvement over the last one - it was okay - but the many stereotypes were too much..."

Exactly. That was the whole point that I was making in my post. So, since we seem to agree here, I must apologize for the misunderstanding. :wave:

I didn't accuse you of stereotyping. I accused you of accusing EPCOT of stereotyping. :lol:

Anyway, like I said, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

If I came across harsh in my rebuttal, I apologize myself...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom