News Epcot Forever to debut as interim show before full Reflections of Earth replacement

spacemountaincarlo

I hadn't seen Epcot Forever yet, and I had planned for last night to be the night I see it. I don't have a lot of money for park trips and I don't have access to a car, but when this show was first announced, I knew I had to see it. I bought 1d1p tickets for me and my SO basically just so I could see this show.

It was honestly so bizarre how they handled it, I've never seen anything like it from Disney but I wouldn't be surprised if this is just par for the course now. We had gotten a place to see it around 8:45 at night. After missing the 9:00 deadline, we were a bit concerned but we assumed it'd start up soon. At 9:10, they ran an announcement saying that the show had been delayed with no further info.

After this, they played this message in ten minute intervals basically, not giving us any other info and keeping us in the dark. Around an hour in I believe was when most people started leaving. I, however, stayed in my spot/moved to better spots once people left; I was really, really hoping the show was going to go on today.

Finally, at 10:39, they finally canceled the show with a very similar announcement to the delayed ones. It was over an hour and a half before the show was supposed to start and an hour and a half after the park closed and into EMH. As someone who had basically spent the money to experience this show, I was incredibly frustrated since my partner is in college and I'm fresh out of college, I had to save up quite a bit of money for this trip, and to not even see the show in the end with disheartening. I went to guest services and I also saw quite a few other people there I believe doing the same thing. If this would've been a long trip where this happened in the middle of the vacation, I wouldn't have even thought about doing this, but after airing my greviences to the cast member, she provided me and my partner new 1d1p passes to return to epcot at a later date. I believe they did this for anyone who had gone to guest services, but I could be wrong.

BTW, the real hero of the night was honestly my partner. She isn't really into Disney like I am, but she still waited for me the entire time, despite telling me that we should just go a few times in the evening. I'm really grateful she stayed around with me throughout this mess.

jrhwdw

Here's more info, TC is reporting that the Torches and the Pre-Show Music never happened. Maybe the soundtrack was damaged??? IDK how....

I would hope they wouldn't cancel EF just becase the kites couldn't fly. Those would be just dead spots in the show. Most of us remember ROE actually added pyro when the Earth Globe was out of service for a while.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here's more info, TC is reporting that the Torches and the Pre-Show Music never happened. Maybe the soundtrack was damaged??? IDK how....

I would hope they wouldn't cancel EF just becase the kites couldn't fly. Those would be just dead spots in the show. Most of us remember ROE actually added pyro when the Earth Globe was out of service for a while.
It was technical. Nothing to do with torches or kites. Or audio.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Epcot Forever? More like Epcot Whenever The Show Feels Like Working.

Really, feel bad for the crew. There's bound to be some technical issues with every new show. They'll work through it and get everything sorted.
As far as I can think they’ve never outright scrapped a straight fireworks show. We had a 9pm Wishes postponed until 1230am once but it ran. I’ve witnessed shows postponed due to various tech issues but they managed to pull it back. I’ve seen sync issues. I’ve seen FireOne and it’s PC crash at 8:58pm. Seen Wishes with no park pyro. Seen RoE with half the show faulty. Last night was different.

jrhwdw

As far as I can think they’ve never outright scrapped a straight fireworks show. We had a 9pm Wishes postponed until 1230am once but it ran. I’ve witnessed shows postponed due to various tech issues but they managed to pull it back. I’ve seen sync issues. I’ve seen FireOne and it’s PC crash at 8:58pm. Seen Wishes with no park pyro. Seen RoE with half the show faulty. Last night was different.
WOW! Wishes delayed till 1230am! MK is determined! LOL! Was that during the Spectro/MSEP days or was it after MSEP left?

Saw a YT Vid of MNSSHP before Hallowishes opened where FITS restarted like 3 times??? Of course looked for the vid a month ago and couldn't find it.

mickeyfan5534

I've ruminated on the show for a week and frankly? It's fine. It's not great, it's not terrible, it's fine. It needs to be maybe 2 minutes longer and should have had Figment hosting. I actually don't mind A Whole New World in the context of the show considering the point of that number and that there's a bit of We Go On in the Whole New World arrangement.

The real slap in the face would be if the show ended with Let it Go instead of an attempt of giving the old school fans a hand and saying "Hey, we know you don't like this but at least give us a chance" Consider the lead-in is a new verse of One Little Spark and the final line in the show is one of the Voices of Liberty singing "Let me share this whole new world with you."

There are worse sins the show makes than an attempt at bridging the gap between the old and new Epcot. The medleys all need to be about 30 seconds longer than they are because none of the music gets enough time to be showcased and the lack of Figment is glaring. There's no emotional journey. The kids were not a great choice. But all the criticism of A Whole New World is centered on IP bad when there is a point and idea behind it.

Also:
walt-disney-florida-project-6-112113.jpg

Just remember, you could have been punched in the nuts and pointed and laughed at with Let it Go instead of given a reference to the origin of the park and an offer to give the new direction a chance.

Overall: the show is okay. It's a hold-over while the real replacement is being produced. Criticism is valid but A Whole New World isn't the end of the world like everyone on here is saying.

Disney Analyst

Any show can be cancelled for a number of reasons. They played the usual delay announcement as they should, and likely spent the time between that message and the cancellation trying to troubleshoot in hopes of doing the show, and eventually figured out they couldn't and played the cancellation announcement.

I don't know what else people want... For them to have a tech member come out to the middle of the lagoon and explain in detail what the technical issue is and that they may or may not get it fixed?

This is a very usual situation that happens in any entertainment setting that involves technology... Broadway shows have had to be cancelled in the middle of the show.

Sir_Cliff

But Wishes was also a cheap show filled with IP. The only difference is that it was way more sugary and laden with kid voices.
I very much agree with the kids singing part, which turned me off Wishes as much as it turns me off Epcot Forever. It's a big part of the reason I much prefer HEA. I'm possibly just bitter and twisted, but I really don't get who enjoys hearing little kids sing. Do children like it? Do people with children like it? As someone without kids and who hasn't been one for a very long time, it just feels kind of creepy to be surrounded by the voices of children singing about their wishes or imagination.

Again, I'm probably just old, bitter, and twisted!

Last edited:

KevinPage

I’m somewhat creeped out that so many people who ❤️ Disney and ya know, are around kids all the time (in the parks) and likely obtained their 💕 of Disney from when they were a kid, are so freaked out/disgusted/have disdain for the kids singing in EF (or other shows).

I just judge each attraction/thing on its own merits. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. But the blanket statements perplex me 😎

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom