News Epcot Forever to debut as interim show before full Reflections of Earth replacement

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This is my biggest concern with all of the new Epcot happenings. There is absolutely no story - or at least none that makes sense across the park. EF has no overarching story at all. And, it seems the same way for much of the park going forward. World Showcase is about the countries of the world. And exploring them. Except where we think a ride about characters that live in that country is better. Or where we just want to make up a kingdom that loosely relates to a real place. But, they all work... right?

As I was saying throughout the day yesterday (and thanks to those with me who put up with it :) ), the biggest issue I have here is the storytelling. The Paris Rat Ride is lackluster and has nothing to do with France or Paris. Create Remy's Culinary Academy. A Science Fiction pavilion for Guardians. Etc. But, just tie it to the real world - even if the main attraction is going to be more fantasy in style.

I think about when they redid Tower into GotG. It was rejected, and it didn't make sense location wise. Now it does as the anchor of a Marvel land. Where will that transitional point happen here? Every pavilion getting a character? The IP-ification of Soarin', LwtL, etc.? I don't see how you take the things they are doing now and create any type of cohesive strategy around them. Within their own land - let alone across the park. It would be one thing to CHANGE the story of Epcot into something else that was at least cohesive. But, it feels like we are going to repeat the mistakes of both Tomorrowland and Studios. In a Park with far greater potential and aspirations.

Depending on how nitpicky you want to get, Soarin' does have Tinkerbell... it's my daughter's favorite part

Epcot82Guy

Depending on how nitpicky you want to get, Soarin' does have Tinkerbell... it's my daughter's favorite part

That's actually a great point. I don't per se like it. But, I also realize that's probably taking what I want too far. It's where balance comes in for the very reason you highlight. Epcot is Disney World, and Tink is a cute nod to where you are. I even think you can go more blatant with it and still have it work and make sense. Like Remy being the host for Food and Wine. Or having an attraction about France that is hosted by Remy.

My point is where the overarching story has to be shoehorned or make less sense to justify adding something. Rather than working to make something creative that satisfies both.

If you look in the fan art (Disney and many other "geeky" things), you see some incredibly creative stories where they have mashed up totally different things very successfully. Disney itself has done it incredibly well with lands like Pandora - where many didn't see how they could. They also have gone the cheap and easy route like Frozen and Norway.

My point being, while many purists still exist, I think most of us in that camp realize the need for Epcot's audience to grow. We just wish it could be done with that level of taste and creativity vs. something that feels forced.

trainplane3

So I was planning on watching EF tonight but I realized I only enjoy a fraction of it. I'll just watch someone's video of it until I can get a source audio recording of the music.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
For the Epcot Forever designers:

8301c2ebcbd6d40d78082b0254fee71a.png

Dizknee_Phreek

That's actually a great point. I don't per se like it. But, I also realize that's probably taking what I want too far. It's where balance comes in for the very reason you highlight. Epcot is Disney World, and Tink is a cute nod to where you are. I even think you can go more blatant with it and still have it work and make sense. Like Remy being the host for Food and Wine. Or having an attraction about France that is hosted by Remy.

My point is where the overarching story has to be shoehorned or make less sense to justify adding something. Rather than working to make something creative that satisfies both.

If you look in the fan art (Disney and many other "geeky" things), you see some incredibly creative stories where they have mashed up totally different things very successfully. Disney itself has done it incredibly well with lands like Pandora - where many didn't see how they could. They also have gone the cheap and easy route like Frozen and Norway.

My point being, while many purists still exist, I think most of us in that camp realize the need for Epcot's audience to grow. We just wish it could be done with that level of taste and creativity vs. something that feels forced.
Bingo!! As a Disney purist (esp an Epcot purist), I personally don't have a problem with characters in the park. But you can compromise and strike a balance to where the park still keeps its focus. The examples you gave are excellent ones - have a character host an attraction or festival...keep the educational aspect while entertaining little ones (and lets face it, adults too). Heck, I didn't even mind the character meet n greets in the countries, especially when the characters were "from" that environment. Gives something for young ones to do, but it didn't overshadow the intention of the pavilion. But now it seems that balance is heavily shifting in a direction that favors only some guests, stripping Epcot of what made it so special and unique. And that is a shame because it doesn't have to be that way. Characters can have a place in Epcot...if done carefully and thoughtfully.

Father Robinson

There are elements i enjoyed, but also other elements i didn't care for.

A part of me can appreciate the fact Disney even did a Show such as this.
Doing a nostalgia 'throwback' fireworks presentation nightly for Epcot is kind of nice in some respects.

-

-
I don't know that there's much debate about this per se, but I think the majority of complaints stem from the idea that those who created this show don't seem to have their finger on the pulse of what makes the EPCOT fan an EPCOT fan. Even though EF is a temporary show, I think it's just so far from what we want even for a short term thing. The true EPCOT fan deserves more than just a children's narration of name that tune.

trainplane3

I'm going with my friend (who is seeing it for the first time). I'm prepped and ready for his reaction; I told him to have a few drinks before showtime ;)
I still wouldn't call it a bad show but I don't enjoy the entire thing. If *some special person* can get the audio, I'll be happy. I'll be happier if Disney sells the soundtrack along with remade full versions of the songs in the show.

Figments Friend

Since seeing the debut showing in person that night in the Park, now that I am back home I have gone back and viewed a couple of videos of 'Epcot Forever' to see how it translates on the screen.

I watched two videos, the Disney Parks Blog broadcast and WDWMagic's video of the Show and in both cases much of the laser effects are barely visible.
In person, the sky is literally alight with many laser beams and twisting patterns of light.
Very VERY little of that shows up in videos.
So for those who haven't yet had the opportunity to see this in person, rest assured that there is a LOT more going on during some of the segments then appears to be by watching video versions.

As I've mentioned before, the laser elements were cool.
A shame they don't photograph well as looking at those videos after seeing it in person makes it look like a completely different production.

-

trainplane3

Since seeing the debut showing in person that night in the Park, now that I am back home I have gone back and viewed a couple of videos of 'Epcot Forever' to see how it translates on the screen.

I watched two videos, the Disney Parks Blog broadcast and WDWMagic's video of the Show and in both cases much of the laser effects are barely visible.
In person, the sky is literally alight with many laser beams and twisting patterns of light.
Very VERY little of that shows up in videos.
So for those who haven't yet had the opportunity to see this in person, rest assured that there is a LOT more going on during some of the segments then appears to be by watching video versions.

As I've mentioned before, the laser elements were cool.
A shame they don't photograph well as looking at those videos after seeing it in person makes it look like a completely different production.

-
How about AllCentralFloridas video? They seem pretty visible:

HoldenC

Waiting to see it again and so far I am loving the pre show loop. I missed it Tuesday evening. It feels very World Showcase! Not as memorable as the original music but still fun

Epcot82Guy

Waiting to see it again and so far I am loving the pre show loop. I missed it Tuesday evening. It feels very World Showcase! Not as memorable as the original music but still fun

Agreed. I though the new pre-show music loop had some great energy. A bit Town Center Disney Springs (which isn't a criticism!). It was a fun continuation from what we had before with some nice musical creations.

ThatMouse

I finally watched the videos. The show is patronizing. That's the best way I can describe it. Kids who have never even experienced EPCOT are narrating and singing about all the great things EPCOT has given me. Recordings of Walt Disney, who has also never seen EPCOT, is reminding me that EPCOT is all part of his plan, so any distaste for having movie themes in my EPCOT is completely invalid. I felt like I was watching a memorial service. And then of course, A Whole New World just cemented the fact that movie themed attractions are coming. My EPCOT is gone. I don't hate the show, it will be fun to see and drink a beer to, but it's just salt in the wound really. My EPCOT was already being picked apart. This show didn't change that. It just reinforced the fact that the next show will be the complete opposite of what I like at EPCOT.

Now if there's not a huge line at the Skyliner to get back to Pop I'll be happy!

The Grand Inquisitor

I finally watched the videos. The show is patronizing. That's the best way I can describe it. Kids who have never even experienced EPCOT are narrating and singing about all the great things EPCOT has given me. Recordings of Walt Disney, who has also never seen EPCOT, is reminding me that EPCOT is all part of his plan, so any distaste for having movie themes in my EPCOT is completely invalid. I felt like I was watching a memorial service. And then of course, A Whole New World just cemented the fact that movie themed attractions are coming. My EPCOT is gone. I don't hate the show, it will be fun to see and drink a beer to, but it's just salt in the wound really. My EPCOT was already being picked apart. This show didn't change that. It just reinforced the fact that the next show will be the complete opposite of what I like at EPCOT.

Now if there's not a huge line at the Skyliner to get back to Pop I'll be happy!
I felt exactly the same! Why are kids singing the songs? Why is there no Figment in the show despite being all over the epcot forever merch.

Joesixtoe

I thought it was pretty awesome. Wasn't a big fan of the pre show music nor after the show, but the show itself is yes a tribute to old Epcot and them telling us that changes are coming. It's a sad yet probably needed change to Epcot. Epcot in today's day and age just can't keep up with innovation or peoples attention spans.

DC0703

Just watched the videos and for me there are some good things and some bad with this new show.

The good: Better pyrotechnics, more use of lasers (which reminded me of the 80s/90s), and I thought the kites were a neat touch. Also, with ROE, the potions of the show involving the globe in the middle of the water where sometimes hard to see if you weren't watching the show from an ideal location - I'm glad this show remedies that.

The bad: I greatly prefer ROE's music. And I agree with others, the kiddie narrator is grating.

I do look forward to seeing it in person though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom