EPCOT Entertainment cuts

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I don't care if there are replacements or not but it's the blatant cutting of many longtime and loyal Equity performers to the company because TDO didn't feel like paying them anymore.
While it may well be that, I don't see enough information to reach that conclusion at all. Maybe the British Revolution guys decided they liked playing bars better. Maybe Spirit of America isn't popular. Maybe World Showcase Players weren't getting good reviews.

I do, however note you called the performers "loyal". So perhaps you do know more than we do. If so, please spill!

Last edited:

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
A few months ago we planned a long weekend trip for this weekend. Leave this evening. Never thought it would turn out to be a 'farewell tour' weekend of seeing Off Kilter, Maelstrom, MoRockin, more......
Not quite this weekend but soon for me, Thank you Martin!!!! Marie

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
Which is why I Am so sad, I know how careful you are to make sure your information is as reliable as it can be. Thank you as always!!!! Marie

NearTheEars

What I will miss the most:

There was just something about this group that made me smile every time I saw them. Maybe its because I'm a percussionist (I always stop for Matsuriza Taiko drum show in Japan too).

As far as the rest
World Showcase Players: Great fun the first 5 or so times, but after that it got stale for me. But they still draw a pretty decent crowd and is a great show for families.

Mo 'Rockin: Honestly have never stopped to watch, have just strolled by. But we will have to make it a point to see them soon before they go.

British Revolution: Nice band, but still rarely stopped to watch.

Off Kilter: Have caught a few shows and I can tell from posts here over the last few years that have a nice core of fans. But I always felt they were a little out of place there. I wish they had somewhere to perform still, though.

Whats good about this? Finally something fresh.
Whats bad? We are two in the hole after losing the Ziti Sisters :(

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
From Disney Parks Blog -

New experiences debuting over the next several months will contribute to the rich mix of entertainment at Epcot, and provide fresh experiences for our guests. In the near future, you can look forward to enjoying a traditional Berber music and dance troupe in Morocco, a corps of dynamic flag-waving performers in Italy, a thrilling lumberjack-inspired show in Canada, a Celtic folk music ensemble at the United Kingdom, and more.

As we embark on this enhancement of World Showcase entertainment, we bid a fond farewell to Mo’Rockin’, Off Kilter, Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corps and World Showcase Players. We thank these performers for all they’ve done to make the Epcot guest experience enjoyable and memorable, and we invite you to come out and see them in their farewell performances over the next few weeks.

Jon81uk

People get ed when Disney doesn't make changes.
People get ed when Disney makes changes.

And on and on and on..........

Yep, I think change is often great, it is what Walt wanted, the parks are not museums!
These sort of world showcase acts should never stick around longer than five years, gives people more reason to return and see something new.

NMBC1993

This is some sad news to wake up to....

My best friend while not being a Disney-fanatic like myself, ALWAYS demands we stop and see Off Kilter when we're at Epcot. I hate to have to break the news to him.

The other acts I will miss as well, any excuse to take a moment and enjoy the entertainment around Epcot is always enjoyable for me (especially if there's a drink in my hand;)). I'll give these new acts the benefit of the doubt but it does seem like TDO is determined to price out all their loyal employees in favor of new ones that they can be "micromanaged" better.

Oh well, hopefully Universal will be casting their nets out to those being booted from the company.

One man's trash and all that:D

doctornick

And on and on and on..........

Yeah, that's the thing. I understand people have loyalty to certain acts and are disappointed. But we constantly hear on these pages about how WDW is "stale" and it seems that WDW is lettign go of some performers while replacing them either new acts. The new acts seem by and large to fit the theme of WS great (perhaps arguably better than the acts they are replacing, though the devil is in the details) so this doesn't strike me as a "dumbing down" of WS the way Frozen being added is.

I don't see the problem at this point. Obviously, the quality of the new acts is yet to be determined. But I think it is a good thing to periodically change performers in Epcot.

Now, if they cut acts with no replacements, that's a different story.

216bruce

Seeing BR and their predecessor British Invasion is my son's and mine favorite thing in Epcot. We grab a beer and a piece of curb and sit and watch a set. We will definitely spend less time in the UK now, thus less time and $ (likely) in the park. I see giving the new acts a chance, like I did BR after "Invasion" left, but seriously- lumberjack shows? flag shows? Those WILL get stale much quicker regardless of their quality. We have lumberjack competitions in town at some community festivals and unless you are really into sawing and axe throwing, it gets pretty old pretty quickly. Flag show? I really can't even imagine what that is. I also really liked MR at Morocco. They were quite unique. Not an OK fan, but I know many are. It's one thing to change out bands but this just reeks of 'cheap'.
I'll gladly trade my MagicBand and the whole program it's a part of if that's the budget driver behind these and other cuts. Just not worth it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom