EPCOT Entertainment cuts

prberk

Well, I cannot say that I am surprised that the fife and drum corp are going, since they no longer matched the airline steward time period of the "new" American Adventure outfits from a year or two ago. Never mind that the flag atop the building still indicates that we have 15 states, and dates from around 1795; and that the side building indicates "publick" dining (old English) and "The Fife and Drum" store.

See pics and explanation here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...merican-adventure.840207/page-24#post-5134239

(Still my favorite post.)

The fife and drum corps are timeless and should remain, themed with the building and with the idea of heralding liberty. So should the Voices of Liberty (also timeless, but their selections can change over time).

Other entertainment can be added to complement these, or made modern in the America Gardens Theatre; but does not need to have these very purposeful acts removed.

Last edited:

Tonka's Skipper

But again, we do know of the number of acts being lost, and a lack of replacements for those gone before them....

Agreed............Iger has done alot of bean counters cut.........no doubt about it.............but the size and quality of these acts we will know in the future.

AKK

NMBC1993

I am on the it is time side. Although off kilter is popular it has had a long run and should be either updated or changed. I am a fan and will sttop every time I pass by but new entertainment will bring returning locals and help with a stale section of the park. For example the British Invation band has a limited audiance now becuase the popularity of the music only atracts the older demographic where celtic is experiance a rebirth of sorts.

I wouldn't say The British Invasion has a limited popularity, maybe when it comes to the tween "Beliebers" out there sure, but I wouldn't say they ONLY attract older demographics. I'm a college student and considered relatively young (although sometimes I don't feel so young) and most of my MP3 player is full of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Monkees, The Buckinghams, etc.

So I think it depends on the person. Also I'm not sure Celtic music would attract a younger generation any more than the classic British Invasion-period hits would? Unless maybe the band came out Twerking or something:p

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

In the near future, you can look forward to enjoying a traditional Berber music and dance troupe in Morocco, a corps of dynamic flag-waving performers in Italy, a thrilling lumberjack-inspired show in Canada, a Celtic folk music ensemble at the United Kingdom, and more.

I really dont see this as stopping a crowd. I dont see these acts as engaging whatsoever.

It seems like cheap replacements.

And how on earth can you cut the Fife and Drum Corp in America!? Thats so representative of what goes on in big business anymore.

I can look past World Showcase Players, even if it was the self-proclaimed "Lowest Budgeted Show on Disney Property." That was THREE PEOPLE.

SoupBone

A lumberjack show to replace a very popular live band? Disney has officially lost its collective mind, and that is one of the dumbest things I've heard them doing in some time. Unless the lumberjacks are juggling flaming logs and saws, color me uninterested.

Also notice, the blog post isn't allowing comments. They know that would be a really bad idea.

worldfanatic

And yet, with these cuts, there is a net loss of two acts at just EP alone....

Net gain? Net loss?
It seems like some people like to add & subtract attractions to determine if a park is getting better or worse.
Does this "count" really determine the quality of an experience?
For those who believe so, perhaps the Disney Parks aren't really your cup of tea?
Let's see how the new changes affect the overall Epcot Experience.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I really dont see this as stopping a crowd. I dont see these acts as engaging whatsoever.

It seems like cheap replacements.

And how on earth can you cut the Fife and Drum Corp in America!? Thats so representative of what goes on in big business anymore.

I can look past World Showcase Players, even if it was the self-proclaimed "Lowest Budgeted Show on Disney Property." That was THREE PEOPLE.
I really felt that Off Kilter and Fife and Drum were largely untouchable. I guess the new costumes and apparent feeling that AA was dated sealed their fate.

But Off Kilter just seems like a change for no good. Love or hate them, Off Kilter stopped crowds every night, and I would imagine spurred on a lot of food and drink sales in Canada. The replacement act better be seriously good to get the same type of reaction.

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
I really felt that Off Kilter and Fife and Drum were largely untouchable. I guess the new costumes and apparent feeling that AA was dated sealed their fate.

But Off Kilter just seems like a change for no good. Love or hate them, Off Kilter stopped crowds every night, and I would imagine spurred on a lot of food and drink sales in Canada. The replacement act better be seriously good to get the same type of reaction.
A LOT of drink sales, trust me as someone who hangs around as much as I do, this is fairly evident, especially during the Food & Wine Fest days!!! Marie

PhotoDave219

I agree entirely. Those two acts seemed irreplaceable.

I don't wanna go there and be invoke the spirit of Walt, but when it comes to The Fife and Drum, I think he'd be the first one yelling about it. This was a sense of stepping back into American History and should not be removed.

Off Kilter drew a LARGE amount of people. This will not go over well during Food and Wine.

So, is this just a new entertainment manager or simply budget cuts as Martin said? Or a little from column A, little from column B?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Net gain? Net loss?
It seems like some people like to add & subtract attractions to determine if a park is getting better or worse.
Does this "count" really determine the quality of an experience?
For those who believe so, perhaps the Disney Parks aren't really your cup of tea?
Let's see how the new changes affect the overall Epcot Experience.
Considering they're not just cutting these acts, but have also cut the parades and opening ceremonies at three of the four parks, I already have an idea of how the EPCOT experience (along with DAK and DHS) have been affected....

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
A lumberjack show to replace a very popular live band? Disney has officially lost its collective mind, and that is one of the dumbest things I've heard them doing in some time. Unless the lumberjacks are juggling flaming logs and saws, color me uninterested.

Also notice, the blog post isn't allowing comments. They know that would be a really bad idea.
Bad idea wouldn't begin to cover it, I suspect!!!! Marie

asianway

Well, I cannot say that I am surprised that the fife and drum corp are going, since they no longer matched the airline steward time period of the "new" American Adventure outfits from a year or two ago. Never mind that the flag atop the building still indicates that we have 15 states, and dates from around 1795; and that the side building indicates "publick" dining (old English) and "The Fife and Drum" store.

See pics and explanation here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...merican-adventure.840207/page-24#post-5134239

(Still my favorite post.)

The fife and drum corps are timeless and should remain, themed with the building and with the idea of heralding liberty. So should the Voices of Liberty (also timeless, but their selections can change over time).

Other entertainment can be added to compement these, or made modern in the America Gardens Theatre; but does not need to have these very purposeful acts removed.
My favorite post in that thread got deleted

PhotoDave219

Lumberjacks?

Um.....

doctornick

And yet, with these cuts, there is a net loss of two acts at just EP alone....

Huh?

Losing: Off Kilter, Mo'Rockin, Spirit of America, World Showcase Players. That's 4. Possible 5 if British Revolution goes away, but this is not confirmed.

Gaining: Lumberjack show, Berber music, Celtic band, Flag show in Italy. That's 4.

As of right now, seems like an even swap. The official blog also said "and more" when referring to potential offerings.

I'm not judging the quality of the replacements since we don't know yet.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom