Epcot Closed Today! (7/17)

JaysDisneyMagic

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Disney officials said they'll reopen Epcot Thursday after a fire inside the park.

The fire was quickly extinguished, but the park was closed for the entire day on Wednesday so workers could repair the damage, WESH NewsChannel 2 reported.

The fire was confined to a power substation near the Spaceship Earth ride, and there were no injuries or substantial damage to any facilities, officials said.

Extra entertainment and shows were planned at the Magic Kingdom and Disney-MGM Studios for the enjoyment of park guests, officials said. Operating hours at the Magic Kingdom were extended until 11 p.m., and Disney-MGM will stay open until 10 p.m.

Power was also interrupted at the Caribbean Beach Resort and Disney Vacation Club during the fire, WESH reported.

Disney officials said they sent home all of the park's employees, and it's unclear whether they'll be paid for Wednesday's hours

ocolectr

I worked Epcot this morning. Came in at 6:45 and didn't pay much attention to the all of the trucks around the electrical sub-station. They've been doing work over there for quite some time, so this wasn't anything different. So I kept cursing at the fool in front of me driving too slow (I was running a bit late) and went ahead and parked my car.

As I walked up to the Cast Services (Wardrobe) building was when I first noticed that the power was out. Not much was being said, so I figured it was just this one building.

As I was walking out the other side of the building to head to Test Track, I overheard about the entire park was without power and had been for some time. I thought that was a bit odd due to the fact that we have backup generators. So I kept on going.

As I reached the Track, the openers were all out back sitting around. This is when I heard what happened. It was not only the sub-station, but also when they fired up the backup generator, it caught on fire. The backup backup generator is down for preventative maintenance. Well, this wasn't looking good, was it?

Around 9:00 we heard that in WS from Germany to Canada they had power. A couple of the Custodial Cast collected money to go for a soda run. We were quite thirsty by this point. As we waited for word on what we were doing, we kept ourselves busy by waving at the news helicopters as they went overhead. :wave:

Finally at around 11:15 they told us to go home with pay. They did make sure that the other parks didn't need help before making that decision. I think that some of the FastPass CMs were sent other places.

I then went home, took a shower, and slept for five hours. And I got paid for it!

I have been asked to come in at 5:30 tomorrow morning to make sure that everything starts up ok at the Track.

What an interesting day! :animwink:

wishiwere@wdw

Originally posted by ocolectr
Finally at around 11:15 they told us to go home with pay. They did make sure that the other parks didn't need help before making that decision. I think that some of the FastPass CMs were sent other places.

I then went home, took a shower, and slept for five hours. And I got paid for it!

I have been asked to come in at 5:30 tomorrow morning to make sure that everything starts up ok at the Track.

What an interesting day! :animwink:

Thanks for the insight! I'm really glad to hear you were paid! Its not like it was your fault!:D

Kenan

Originally posted by ocolectr
As we waited for word on what we were doing, we kept ourselves busy by waving at the news helicopters as they went overhead. :wave:

man, i wish i was there...
that sounds like a load of fun!

McArcDes

During the summer of '98 I worked in Imagineerings offices. They were just to the north of the power substation. As I recall it is no small substation. I can see why the power for all of Epcot and some of the Resorts runs through there.

The only thing between the substation and Imagineerings main building is a bunch of trailers that imagineering uses as offices.

I'm glad to here that all the cast members that were sent home are getting paid for the day!

Chernabog

I just thought that I would inform everyone that the food and beverage computers in both Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon are somehow connected to Epcot also and caused some pretty decent problems for the water parks today. Not sure if anything else was messed up.

ocolectr

Just saw on the news that power was restored around 6 pm. Epcot will open on schedule at 9 am!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I've also heard (through the grapevine), that they went ahead and lit up SE even though nobody was there :)

Nice of them, because you can see it from a distance.

CMTinkerBell

On the news, they said that they weren't giving out refunds. They would allow them to go to another park, give a raincheck, or come back to Epcot another day. I know that AK got some of the Epcot cast...they worked in merchandise and the stroller area. Most of them in their Epcot costumes.
The other parks were hit pretty hard with crowds, as one would imagine.

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by Fievel
I've also heard (through the grapevine), that they went ahead and lit up SE even though nobody was there :)

Nice of them, because you can see it from a distance.

That is cool, because I think it would be strange, almost creepy and unsatisfying, to see Spaceship Earth dark at night. Say, when do they normally "turn out the lights" at Epcot? DO they ever? Ive never seen Spaceship Earth with the lights turned off at night. I guess not many people are ever up that late. I would like to be watching it from a distance when the lights go off. :)

Horizons1

If you want to see SE without the the lights on just keep looking at it during Illumanations somewhere near the begining.Its kinda weird looking but they leave the tip of the wand light on tho. I guess so planes can see it and not crash.

s25843

Originally posted by Horizons1
If you want to see SE without the the lights on just keep looking at it during Illumanations somewhere near the begining.Its kinda weird looking but they leave the tip of the wand light on tho. I guess so planes can see it and not crash.

FAA Requirment, Anything over 200 feet MUST have a Blinking Red Strobe turned on from sun down to sun up

Wolf530

My day...

Originally posted by s25843

FAA Requirment, Anything over 200 feet MUST have a Blinking Red Strobe turned on from sun down to sun up

Which is exactly why the Tower of Terror is only 199 feet high -- to avoid placing a blinking light on top which could destroy the theming :)

I was in to work today (yesterday, now) at 8:45am. At about 9:30 our manager gathered the openers and told us that Epcot wouldn't open, and that some people would be force extended.

From what I hear, getting into all the parks was horrendous. Our manager said that the front gate couldn't keep up with the growing line of guests. And almost all of our mid-day people were late because the line of cars was so long at the gate.

I work at Indiana Jones/ABC and Indy was packed from the 12 show onword. "Get Crappy with ABC" had it's highest show load ever. (392 people in a theater that holds 1,000. Woohoo.)

BTW: I saw at least one person from Epcot working in our Fastpass area. So I know that at least some of the Epcot people had to move elsewhere :) I felt bad for them, considering the heat. If there was any day I would havef wanted off, today would have been it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom