Epcot Closed Today! (7/17)

Maria

Originally posted by RobFL
Maria,

It's Backstage Lane off of Beuna Vista Drive, it's right across from Bonnet Creek Resort construction access road (now that is).

For tourists, it's am easy access way to get to I-4 from Downtown Disney.

-Rob

Thank you! I can still picture that turn in my mind! lol
When my parents went to visit me, I had no clue how to get to Epcot without going backstage! :hammer: hehehe :animwink:

Worldphile

I'm really shocked that Disney doesn't have multiplee feeds from the power company. I've worked on designing data centers for *much* smaller companies, and we almost always work with the power company to get feeds from 2 or more substations. I would assuem that Epcot would be similarly feed from multiple sources and also broken into sections with different feeds for each section.

Some manufacturing companies I've worked for even generate their own power for just such an emergency.

It is somewhat unsettling that all of Epcot could be taken out by this one incident. :lookaroun

Maria

I think it was closed more for safety reasons than anything else... there was a fire... to fix it, I assume you have to use the least energy possible and the least risks, but I don´t know... :animwink:

Justin

I feel bad for the people who went on vacation and had reservations to go to Epcot and now they cant cause its closed...
:( :(

bamboo7

Originally posted by Worldphile

It is somewhat unsettling that all of Epcot could be taken out by this one incident. :lookaroun

i don't remember seeing anywhere that all of epcot was powerless.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Justin
I feel bad for the people who went on vacation and had reservations to go to Epcot and now they cant cause its closed...
:( :(

just imagine the people that booked the illuminations cruise or had dinner reservations.

Justin

I would sure hope so, I would pay for my dinner reservations at Epcot and not be able to get it, and had to leave back home the next day cause of a plane ticket or something. I am pretty sure they would contact Disney and Disney would refund them.

JLW11Hi

Well I'll be darned.

This is one of the reasons I don't go to WDW in the summer :)

Hey that is a cool map, Ive never seen the backstage of Epcot before

Worldphile

Originally posted by bamboo7

i don't remember seeing anywhere that all of epcot was powerless.

The fourth post in this thread said the park was closed due to a power outage. I would assume it to be pretty extensive to close the whole park versus just parts of it.

But you are right, I may be jumping to conclusions. We'll have to wait and see how extensive the outage was.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
A little more details, not much new though...

Epcot To Remain Closed Wednesday
Wed Jul 17, 2:21 PM ET

An electrical fire at Walt Disney World's Epcot forced officials to close the theme park all day Wednesday, according to Local 6 News.

Reedy Creek Assistant Fire Chief Bo Jones said his agency responded about 3 a.m. to the fire in an electrical generation building.

The fire cut electricity to several areas of the resort, according to Walt Disney World spokeswoman Diane Ledder

"The problem is that we lost power to several areas of the resort, which have now been restored except for Epcot," Ledder said. "We have some power but because we don't have full power we are not opening the park at this time."

Ledder said that repair work will keep the park closed all day Wednesday.

Epcot, which is known for being open 365 days a year, has only been closed two other times in its history, according to Local 6 News.

"This is highly unusual," Ledder said. "But once again, it's not something to be concerned about. It was a small fire and it's out. We are working to restore power."

Due to the park closure, Disney-MGM Studios and The Magic Kingdom will expand their hours Wednesday night. Disney-MGM Studios will be open until 10 p.m and The Magic Kingdom will keep their gates open until 11 p.m.

Both parks are also offering extra entertainment programs.

There were no reported injuries in connection with the fire.

The link to this story: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=310&e=1&cid=310&u=/ibsys/20020717/lo_wkmg/1258756

Maria

Originally posted by Justin
I would sure hope so, I would pay for my dinner reservations at Epcot and not be able to get it, and had to leave back home the next day cause of a plane ticket or something. I am pretty sure they would contact Disney and Disney would refund them.

Do you have to pay for a dinner reservation? I´m sorry I don´t really remember how the system goes...
I thought you would put down a credit card number to have it confirmed, but if they close the park I don´t think they will charge you or I´m sure they will offer another option or refund.

I only feel sorry for those who saved Epcot for the last day and couldn´t make it there due to this.... :(

I´m not sure if they would get a refund though.... since the tickets never expire, I guess they will have one day left on theirs! *shrug*

:animwink:

lifeguard1020

What I saw...

Well, Let me tell you what I saw today...
Thankfully, we were at EPCOT yesterday, and had planned on the MK for today...we got a late start and went to our bus stop (At the Old Key West Resort) and moments later...a CM in a little golf cart thing came by and asked us if we were waiting for a bus to EPCOT. we said no and he drove away...needless to say, we were a bit confused...finally our bus to the MK came and we heard all the talk about how EPCOT was closed for the day...I was shocked. We heard all the rumors about the fire and everything so I grabbed a good seat on the bus...as we passed the front parking lot entrence to Epcot, I saw the smoke headder coming from near teh Living Seas area...I wonder if there is any power thingies over in that direction...I am completely positive that is where we saw the smoke plume coming from....what really confuses me is that this was at around 10:00 10:30 or so...anyways...they had the parking lot entrence blocked off...

When we did get to the MK we noticed a distinct increase of management looking CM's around...you know, not in uniform...street looking clothes with nametags...
Oh well, the park was packed, but we endured...

Any questions???

Dan---1020

Samwayla

I wish I had been offered a one day park hopper pass in 99. I was there when all the power went out in Future World and only had a one day ticket to epcot. I think world showcase opened earlier but it still took along time for them to open it. Since there was nothing open at FW I remember EVERYBODY waiting for the cast to let us into WS. It took forever, Not complaining though. I know accidents happen and you can't control some of them. We still had fun though cause they eventually got all of FW open. We even got to ride Test Track. I figured that one would have been closed for the rest of the day.

Maria

Samwayla,
Did you go to Guest Relations? I remember the crowd lining to exchange their tickets... you are right, it took almost an hour to open WSC, but the fact was that the cast member schedules started at 10-10:30 there, so it was not possible to open all of it that fast.
I´m glad you had fun anyway! I did... if you saw a girl dressed in a mexican white dress standing by the Fountain of Nations...that was me! lol! :lol:

Samwayla

Maria,
Sorry I can't remember. You still work at Epcot though? You look familiar. I live only an hour away from Disney so I go all the time. I didn't go to Geust Relations though.

Maria

LOL! Don´t worry...! and no, I don´t work at Epcot anymore (I wish)... I was just there when many things happened before the Millennium Celebration and during the first three months of it. :animwink:

General Grizz

Hmm..this looks interesting...

Just to poke fun.. :D

Attachments

• pay.jpg
    pay.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 289

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom