Epcot Closed Today! (7/17)

tiggerlover1971

my husband works for the electrical supply place that disney gets there supplies from He was told today that they were working on the mission ride and it caused this but what is wierd that the backups didnt work they are still on temporary power from what he was told till his company gets them the replacement parts the supply house is hughes electric supply its home base is orlando and this is what he was told by someone is the kissimmee store

Testtrack321

Well, this is very interesting. If M:S did fire up, they must have some real big replacing to do. If a circut breaker failed, and everything was by the books, they must have some real work to do.

BTW, where there any reports of disgruntal guests? That one lady looked like she would kill the CM after they told her it was closed.

RobFL

Account Suspended
I don't get it...

It doesn't make sense that it was M:S. At 3AM all of the Eastern park is shut down and pretty much using hardly any electricty. It wouldn't make sense that running 4 attractions (back when Horizons was functional) would not blow the power but to run a single one, alone at night, would cause a serious outage?

I think it's jsut a rumor.. yes, it is near Test Trakc and M:S, but the same could be said of Wonders and Mexico as far as that type of proximity is concerned.

-Rob

Florida Man

Originally posted by RobFL
I don't get it...

It doesn't make sense that it was M:S. At 3AM all of the Eastern park is shut down and pretty much using hardly any electricty. It wouldn't make sense that running 4 attractions (back when Horizons was functional) would not blow the power but to run a single one, alone at night, would cause a serious outage?

I think it's jsut a rumor.. yes, it is near Test Trakc and M:S, but the same could be said of Wonders and Mexico as far as that type of proximity is concerned.

-Rob

Noooooooo!!!! I guess I forgot to explain that they probably had test track running at full to see if it could handle both at the same timeg

Florida Man

Re: Re: I think...

Originally posted by s25843

Righttttt That is what circuit Breakers are For

Here is a Sat Photo of where it happened (Taken from a High Res photo from Space Imaging.com)

To tell you the truth I don't think huge wires like the on you see hanging above you on roads or substations at Disney contain circuit breakers I think they use temp. sensors insted. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think the wires they use are designed to carry so much electricty that they don't need them. And maybe one of the workers did some math wrong and said they could run both rides at the same time.

joho0

All power lines use circuit breakers. Really big ones use circuit breakers that you have to prime first, kinda like a pump, to power up a relay that then actually throws the breaker.

As far as testing the power grid goes, they would obviously have to do this at some point in the process. They're not just going to throw the switch on a $100,000,000 piece of equipment and just hope there's enough power there.

This was most likely a power test, one that failed, and now they'll have to go with plan B, whatever that may be.

This is great news btw. It means very soon they'll be doing full scale T&A. It won't be long now!

joho0

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

Oh yeah, I forgot about that:hammer:

But the lights must go off after the park closes, too.

BTW, Spaceship Earth itself is 180 ft tall, so originally, it never needed the blinking light, untill they added the Wand for 2000. That, I am guessing is mabey about 220 ft. tall?

The blinking red lights on objects 200 feet or taller must be on ALL the time, day or night. They're not designed to be turned off at all and they actually have a battery backup, kinda like exit signs, so if the power goes out, the blinking red light stays on.

The wand is 257 feet tall and is the tallest object on WDW property.

s25843

Originally posted by joho0

The blinking red lights on objects 200 feet or taller must be on ALL the time, day or night. They're not designed to be turned off at all and they actually have a battery backup, kinda like exit signs, so if the power goes out, the blinking red light stays on.

The wand is 257 feet tall and is the tallest object on WDW property.

Got my Avaiation and Boating Nav. Light rules crossed :)
Its my Nav and anchor lights that must be turned on from Sun Down to Sun Up :)

I think the MS Theory is a BIG Rumor. I think Disney would have hired Engineers to design and plot these things BEFORE They built it.

joho0

Originally posted by s25843

Got my Avaiation and Boating Nav. Light rules crossed :)
Its my Nav and anchor lights that must be turned on from Sun Down to Sun Up :)

I think the MS Theory is a BIG Rumor. I think Disney would have hired Engineers to design and plot these things BEFORE They built it.

I'm sure they did extensive planning but ultimately the only way to test it is to throw the switch.

It just seems to me to be too much of a coincidence that the power unit that failed is directly behind MS. :animwink:

s25843

I'm sure they did extensive planning but ultimately the only way to test it is to throw the switch.

It just seems to me to be too much of a coincidence that the power unit that failed is directly behind MS. :animwink:

But that Power Plant has been there probally for awhile

jmarc63

Re: My day...

Originally posted by Wolf530

I was in to work today (yesterday, now) at 8:45am. At about 9:30 our manager gathered the openers and told us that Epcot wouldn't open, and that some people would be force extended.

Wolf530....What is ment by force extended??:veryconfu

RobFL

Account Suspended
We show up, and they tell us ur shift isnt gonna end for a while.. That's a force extend.

Anyways... That power station has always been there and has always handled all of the power at Epcot.

If you want to read into it.. Then oh god.. Maybe it malfunctioned because the ghosts in Horizons had to find a new place to haunt.

Jeeze.. That's just where the building is. It's been there since long before there were any plans for SPACE.

-Rob

jmarc63

Re: Re: Re: I think...

Originally posted by DISNEYRULES!!!

To tell you the truth I don't think huge wires like the on you see hanging above you on roads or substations at Disney contain circuit breakers I think they use temp. sensors insted. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think the wires they use are designed to carry so much electricty that they don't need them. And maybe one of the workers did some math wrong and said they could run both rides at the same time.

as for as you circuit breaker theroy is concerned they can and do put circuir breakers on lines. my neighbourhood was plagued with power outages frequently , so much so that the village got involved with the power company to solve this and they blamed the fact of taking 8 hours to restore the power was because of faulty breakers on the lines going in to my litttle subdivision.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I agree....I'd put money on it that MS had NOTHING to do with it. There are failsafes built into the electrical systems to prevent this. You think they haven't ever fired it up? Ha.

Until an Electrical Engineer tells me otherwise, I'm going to assume this is a fluke.

joho0

The fact that the thing has been there for 20 years and decided to blow up yesterday is just more reason to believe something unusual was afoot.

If you add up the power requirements for TT and MS, I'm sure it's much higher than WoM or Horizons were, which is what that transformer was designed to handle.

Look, I know its speculation. But it's based on facts that, in my opinion, are too much to be coincidence. It's not like they're going to say, "Oh yeah, we fired up MS and the whole damn thing caught on fire. You should've seen it. It was better than Illuminations!"

jmarc63

All power lines use circuit breakers. Really big ones use circuit breakers that you have to prime first, kinda like a pump, to power up a relay that then actually throws the breaker.

As far as testing the power grid goes, they would obviously have to do this at some point in the process. They're not just going to throw the switch on a $100,000,000 piece of equipment and just hope there's enough power there.

This was most likely a power test, one that failed, and now they'll have to go with plan B, whatever that may be.

This is great news btw. It means very soon they'll be doing full scale T&A. It won't be long now!

This could take months to figure a plan B and could push the opening to the original target date. Lets not forget the test track situation.

ocolectr

Power has been running to MS for quite a while. They began testing on the ride system months ago. As each new section came in from the contractor, it has been tested.

They only work on the ride system Mon - Fri during the day. No work on late nights, weekends and holidays.

I have gotting this info both from Management as well as an Operations CM who has been working there with Imagineering.

The following I received from a friend who works in Informatin Services:

Apparently, third shift was doing PMs on the equipment at CEP. They were working on the 60Kv line (that’s 60,000 Volt) and they put grounding straps on all three phases as a precaution (the power was, of course, off at that point). When they finished they turned on the power, and as a ball of fire headed through the ceiling, one guy said “Did you remember to remove the grounding straps?”

Okay, the last in conjuncture, but the effect was the same...60,000 Volts surging directly to “ground.”

As I left work (at 4PM) they were getting second shift ready to go over and help out as power was brought up. Hopefully you won’t have any problems at work tomorrow...as to the two ex-Reedy Creek employees....”

I hope this dispells any of the MS rumors. This was scheduled maintenance that went wrong. A transformar has been located there for over 20 years. It is the main juncture of power for FW and Mexico thru China.

Also, the map showing that the transformer was right next to the Test Track loop is wrong. It is on the east side of the chiller plant, not the west side as indicated in that drawing.

Lastly, I've seen SE dark on many a night that I worked 3rd shift. After about 3 am most of the park is dark until sunrise. Saves $$ on the electrical bill! :cool:

ocolectr

Originally posted by iluvepcot
Thats a cool avatar, ocolectr, what is it of??

Thanks! :D

That is a picture of Earth Station that I took in June of 1989. That is where Guest Relations and WorldKey were located at the exit of Spaceship Earth.

That space is now the location the the AT&T Global Neighborhood.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom