Account Suspended
Original Poster
marni1971 said:
I was thinking about these last night.... in kind of story order

The fog that hid the floor as you enter

The Quicker diorama dawn > sunrise > day > sunset > storm lighting

The lightning strikes on the diorama in sync with theatre strobe lighting

Wind machines

All the smelterizers reinstalled and working (Eau de Swamp, Damp Earth, Bouquet of Volcano) - these were removed in 96...

Brontosaurus pond fog bank

Brontosuaurus area rain

Elasmosaurus wave machine

Diorama heating

Lava steam jets

Bubbling lava pool

Lava streams

Errupting lava from volcano

Volcano / diorama exit fog bank

Though in a climate where Animatronic movement is purposley restricted or deactivated to save wear and tear on clothing I doubt these will return anytime soon.

Ok.. lets go through this list...

The fog still works. it is however no longer a chemical fog as folks complained about asthma or whatever. So, if the temp isn't perfect with the humidity, it doesn't work or barely works.

The storm portion was removed when it went to Ellen. The giant sieve on the ceiling was also taken out as well as the rainfall - that covers many of the effects mentioned. They're not there because they've been removed as that aspect of the show has been removed.

Wind machines work atleast in the spot when you go under the fallen tree.

Smell is gone for the same reasons as the chemical fog.

Bronto fog works, just isn't nearly as visible, like the other fog.

Elaso wave machine was taken out when Ellen was added - it is also not a "broken" effect but a removed effect.

Diorama heating was never done by any sort of special heating device, but rather the lighting equipment in the diorama. Newer ligths make the place cooler in general, but visit in summer and worse - have it breakdown while you're in the diorama, the place heats up quickly.

All of the lava effects work, it's just a matter of a good day versus a bad day. The consistency of the lava depends greatly on the day but the misters and steam things all work.

Fog in the tunnel is like all the others, but theater two has better overall temperature control, so it tends to "work" more often.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Okay, The fog no longer has the effect is once had.

The diorama was originally heated by ceramic (ceramic as far as my research can tell) heating hidden in the (false) foliage

I never said the wave machine - or any of these effects - were broken. I listed the original imaginative effects WED designed and built into the pavilion.

The lava is quite poor in apperance to what it used to be. The steam jets have been deactivated for a while. The running lava streams arn`t using the same liquid they use to - it looks like water now. Same for the volcano; it used to look like real molten lava, not illuminated water.
The tunnel fog was so thick you couldn`t see your hand infront of your face. I`m glad it has returned since it appeared to be more of a dense mist. I and my friends and relatives must have got unlucky in experiencing the latter effect.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
The volcano has always been that fountain. It's never changed. Maybe the lighting FX in the old version was more convincing, but short of walking you up there past the inverter room and through the obstacle course I don't know how to show you it's just a big square concrete pool with a mini fountain of nations in it.

And the goop in the lava-flow is the same goop as always. It congeals in the resevoir, I think it's moreso that the pumps are old and not moving as much as they used to. I have seen days when it was working beautifully, but I admit they were few and far between.

As for the steam, all I know of are sections that shoot out of the rockwork around the volcano and the steam that comes from the scorched tree's branches.

SirGoofy

Main Street USA said:
Good for you!

SirGoofy, read the rest of the thread, and you'll see that what you quoted me on here was not the last thing I said, nor should you be offended in any way.

Haha, don't worry, I wasn't offended. I just saw that and had to make sure that you knew that all teenagers aren't all thrills all the time.

One question what was the elasmo wave machine?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I guess Merf, overall, it`s down to being lucky and seeing everything that`s left in perfect viewing conditions.

wannab@dis

marni1971 said:
I guess Merf, overall, it`s down to being lucky and seeing everything that`s left in perfect viewing conditions.
I've always wondered about this... How often does Disney go back and retrofit attractions with special effects that have been improved so they will have fewer breakdowns?

It seems they try very hard to open attraction with a lot of theming and effects, but the maintenence of those items may be more challenging and expensive than they first realized. (Splash & Dinosaur immediately come to mind.) I may have missed it, but I've not heard of many instances of them going back and re-designing an effect mechanism to be less prone to problems. Maybe redesigns/retrofits are more expensive than a set cycle of maintenence?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The only *remotley* close one at Epcot is Test Track - the barrier test car, long since disabled but dressed in well to appear that`s how it always has been.

Some others that springs to mind;

DLPs SM:M2 - the old moons face projection had a new screen and different projector in a slightly different position during the rehab

The HM busts. It seems fairly recently the projections were replaced by DLP projectors; some people are sucecptable to the rainbow fringing common with this projection method.

There again, whenever there is a report an effect has been fixed (as wannab said, Splash springs to mind) possibly it was replaced with a new method of acheiving the same effect.

Until it breaks down again....

EchoOfOphelia

Of course, the only ride that I think does need a complete re-do, isn't getting it! This ride was cool in 1986, but now, I agree with a previous poster, its a great place to take a nap on...

tirian

Bill Nye :sohappy:

Jamie Lee Curtis :sohappy:

Heck, even Alex Trebek :sohappy:

Ellen for the first five minutes :sohappy:

Ellen for the remaining thirty-five minutes :snore:

Her one-line zinger jokes are only amusing for so long...

I'd really like to see this pavilion completely refurbished with new hosts and cutting-edge technology, but it won't happen until the pavilion gets a new sponsor.

andrewwood

Universe of Energy Rehab

Just want to know if UOE is closed for the first two weeks of May as stated at Mouseplanet or not!

Anyone know if this is confirmed or not? :veryconfu

PintoColvig

andrewwood said:
Just want to know if UOE is closed for the first two weeks of May as stated at Mouseplanet or not!

Anyone know if this is confirmed or not? :veryconfu

AllEarsNet.com and DISboards.com are also reporting that it will be closed but they may be citing Mouseplanet. Disney's website makes no mention of it. It is less than two weeks away. Wouldn't they have made an official announcement by now even though it is a minor rehab?

RU42

The ride closure is official - I have a friend who is a CM and he looked it up in the internal info bulliten and it is indeed listed as being closed 5/1 to 5/14.

RU

PintoColvig

I'm here. UoE is "Temporarily closed for refurbishment". Anyone think there is a chance that the rehab might be finished early? Hopefully by the 12th?

lilphil6487

Frank Stallone said:
I apologize in advance if this sounds a bit harsh, but are you always this ignorant and stereotypical? The reason teenagers do not enjoy this attraction is not because there is an educational value to it. It is because, to teenagers, Ellen and Bill Nye ARE NOT FUNNY. Sure, Ellen had her moments when she was in Nemo that teenagers enjoyed, but that was because she was a side character, not having to pull the film.

When I was a teenager, I enjoyed the educational moments of the attraction, but was incredibly annoyed with the actors.

You cannot ask teenagers to enjoy an attraction that features two actors that your standard teen will be annoyed with by the time the preshow is over.

Imagine if it was "Britney Spears' Energy Adventure"(just the thought of that makes me want to kill a badger). Would you mock the elderly people leaving the theater in their electric wheelchairs who hated the show? Would you accuse them of not liking "the educational value"? No, you would feel sorry for them for having to listen to Britney Spears for 48 minutes, just like I pity the "kiddies" who have to listen to Ellen and Bill Nye for 48 minutes.

*side note: if it were Britney Spears' Energy Adventure, I bet they would get more than 40 people per show.

speak for yourself. i was a teenager only a year ago until i turned 18. anyway i loved this attraction. i honestly dont remember the old one too much although i know my parents liked it. i think ellen is funny and im sorry but what teenager hasnt heard of Bill Nye the Science Guy. Bill Nye is freakin awesome. WE used to watch the show in school all the time. I think UOE is great the way it is but it could use a little work. Again, speak for yourself and not all teens. I am def not annoyed by them. I think they are both hilarious and i love both the movie and ride parts. Oh and about the Britney Spears thing, Im sorry but that would probably ruin UOE for everyone. She is so stupid and annoying. I mean come on, who in their right mind would sit a baby on their lap as they were driving and recently she dropped the baby. Britney spears is hot but she is a skank. Now if it was Shakira's Energy adventure, then i would definately ride. Lol she is so hot and i havent heard anyhting stupid about her. Although im sure that the show would suck terribly, i would go just to see Shakira lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom