News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

griffin ferrari

Huh? The did release concept art for Evolving Epcot (during early development), Moana/Zootopia and Beyond Big Thunder.
they did, this is what they showed back in 2017
epcot-future-world-concept-art-d23-expo-230.jpg

Then this more finalized one in 2019
new-epcot-future-world-concept-art-2019-d23-expo.jpg

No Name

It didn’t seem that far off from the plan with the Festival Center. The Center was just smaller, Creation Shop was also blown up, and there were new structures in its place.
Well both didn’t look like they were adding anything substantial, that’s how they’re most similar. Otherwise pretty much every single ounce of it, except maybe the circular shape of what’s presumably the festival center, is different. No hedge maze, fountains, heavy landscaping, pod shaped buildings, etc. (or is there an etc… that’s kind of it) was present in the 2019 art.

PREMiERdrum

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Time

Deep in the Central American rainforest, a recently-unearthed temple is mystifying locals and archeologists alike. The temple's insertion l interior has been set up as a makeshift museum to share their recent discovery. Along with the usual paintings and artifacts, the temple's corridors are lined with the monsters of a prehistoric age. The artwork depicts natives interacting with the ancient beasts, demonstrating some sort of time-bending cooperative civilization. In the main chamber, historians discovered a complete Carnotaurus fossil... standing majestically behind an alter covered in time-worn offerings. On this alter rests a tall pedestal... a display whose prize jewel appears to be missing. The locals have long heard their elders tell stories of an enchanted stone - said to be a raw emerald three times the size of a man's head - that allowed their ancestors to cross timelines and live amongst dinosaurs.

Brought in to assist the local scientists, Indiana Jones journeys deep into the so-called Temple of Time in search of the emerald. An elder tribesman warns up as he begins his exploration that finding the emerald just might be the beginning of this journey, not the end. Once the emerald is found and restored to its proper place, the timelines again cross and the prehistoric world starts to blend with the current. With no balance between man and nature, the timelines cannot settle. Can Indiana Jones survive this encounter with ancient beasts and restore order and balance to the temple? Ride along to find out.

See? It wouldn't be *that* hard to make it all work.

I've been staring at this Tropical Americas concept art for a while and I'm starting to think that the Animal Kingdom plans also include Coco. Personally I'd rather have Coco at Epcot, but I think this is where things are heading.
  • The buildings bare a closer resemblance to the town of Santa Cecilia in Coco then the village from Encanto
  • The entrance into the area includes the multi-colored banners as seen in Coco
  • The entrance includes a bell tower, similar to the church in Coco
  • The area can represent multiple IPs (we already know about Indiana Jones and Encanto)
  • Disney already has two Coco restaurants planned for the near future (Disneyland Paris and the Disney Treasure Cruise ship) so I think it's plausible and cost-effective to re-theme Restaurantosaurus.
image.png

image.png

image.jpeg
image.png

Also the concept art shows a large gazebo that most people think is a covered re-themed Triceratops Spin. I think there are two possibilities for a retheme. The first being Antonio from Encanto's animals, the second being the Alebrijes (specifically Pepita the flying jaguar) from Coco. The Alebrijes makes sense for two reasons: they are flying mythical animals, two the covered area would be dark enough for glow in the dark paint to be used.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've been staring at this Tropical Americas concept art for a while and I'm starting to think that the Animal Kingdom plans also include Coco. Personally I'd rather have Coco at Epcot, but I think this is where things are heading.
  • The buildings bare a closer resemblance to the town of Santa Cecilia in Coco then the village from Encanto
  • The entrance into the area includes the multi-colored banners as seen in Coco
  • The entrance includes a bell tower, similar to the church in Coco
  • The area can represent multiple IPs (we already know about Indiana Jones and Encanto)
  • Disney already has two Coco restaurants planned for the near future (Disneyland Paris and the Disney Treasure Cruise ship) so I think it's plausible and cost-effective to re-theme Restaurantosaurus.
View attachment 743059
View attachment 743056

View attachment 743057View attachment 743058

Also the concept art shows a large gazebo that most people think is a covered re-themed Triceratops Spin. I think there are two possibilities for a retheme. The first being Antonio from Encanto's animals, the second being the Alebrijes (specifically Pepita the flying jaguar) from Coco. The Alebrijes makes sense for two reasons: they are flying mythical animals, two the covered area would be dark enough for glow in the dark paint to be used.

View attachment 743054View attachment 743055
Yes, it's likely a Coco restaurant.

James Alucobond

If the tower were meant to be Santa Cecilia’s tower, it would be Santa Cecilia’s tower. They wouldn’t be subtle about it. Also, the hanging banners are a single color, not the colorful papel picado of a Day of the Dead celebration.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If the tower were meant to be Santa Cecilia’s tower, it would be Santa Cecilia’s tower. They wouldn’t be subtle about it. Also, the hanging banners are a single color, not the colorful papel picado of a Day of the Dead celebration.
It seems they're not ready to commit to it being Coco. But, the art could be Coco-ish, or something else they're considering.

The reason Disney won't build an exact replica of Santa Cecilia's tower is because it's part of a church adorned with a cross. The area is meant to be vague enough to incorporate at least two IPs (Encanto and Indiana Jones), I think there's enough vague similarities between the concept art and Sanata Cecilia that Coco might be a third IP intended for this area.

I know it isn't ideal, but this is modern Disney. If there is an opportunity to incorporate an IP they'll take it.

TheMaxRebo

Definitely got the sense that having the area be "tropical Americas" was more set than the specific IP ... so a lot of the concept art is probably vague enough it could be a few things. Or it could also just be a general representation of what you see in the area in the real world

UNCgolf

It seems they're not ready to commit to it being Coco. But, the art could be Coco-ish, or something else they're considering.

It's also just kind of a general Spanish Colonial architectural style, though -- it wouldn't be really surprising to see that design in the concept art even if Coco didn't exist.

Not that I think it would be surprising at all if they did intend to incorporate Coco, though.

James Alucobond

The reason Disney won't build an exact replica of Santa Cecilia's tower is because it's part of a church adorned with a cross. The area is meant to be vague enough to incorporate at least two IPs (Encanto and Indiana Jones), I think there's enough vague similarities between the concept art and Sanata Cecilia that Coco might be a third IP intended for this area.

I know it isn't ideal, but this is modern Disney. If there is an opportunity to incorporate an IP they'll take it.
They would just remove or replace the cross. They were also proposing Ernesto's mausoleum and the surrounding graveyard in Beyond Big Thunder, which were filled with crosses in the film but would presumably otherwise be faithfully recreated in the park if they were to go through with it. You seem to be making assumptions based on zero evidence; it's possible, but there is nothing in this artwork that indicates it's especially likely.

They would just remove or replace the cross. They were also proposing Ernesto's mausoleum and the surrounding graveyard in Beyond Big Thunder, which were filled with crosses in the film but would presumably otherwise be faithfully recreated in the park if they were to go through with it. You seem to be making assumptions based on zero evidence; it's possible, but there is nothing in this artwork that indicates it's especially likely.
Disney deciding not to build a replica of a church is just an assumption on my part, that's fair. I don't have evidence to suggest that, I guess that idea crossed my mind because of the Reimagine Tomorrow initiative where Disney seems to be overly cautious about things

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom