News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

SilentWindODoom

Not sure Canada does either

Decided to ask my Canuck friends.

1694802603877.png

As for Indy, I would like it if the exit included a small path like the two nature trails we have featuring the creatures from the ride. It would be a good step towards actually making it feel like it fits. As was said above, mention in the queue and descriptions how the animals' strange behavior and transformations are part of the temple's defense.

A thought... If they're rebuilding Indy for the new coast... does that mean we'll get the old door effect brand new, with it actually functioning? I wonder if they'll have found a way to do the falling rocks effect.

SpectreJordan

Wow, someone else who would be in favor of demolishing Jungle Cruise! I feel like every time I suggest it as a possibility there's almost universal condemnation here.

Obviously it's not something they need to do right now while they have unused expansion plots and abandoned spaces, but yes -- redundant, a massive plot of land that could potentially be used for multiple attractions and/or shops and dining, and, well... just not very good.
I'd be down for it, personally. Leave its retro feel for Disneyland, which is full of attractions of that ilk. But I imagine the backlash for removing the Jungle Cruise would be the largest Disney's ever received.

The problem is it's difficult to find IP that integrates well into DAK and EPCOT. It's far easier to integrate IP into MK and DHS. When there are IPs that kind of fit into DAK and EPCOT (even if us as fans don't agree) that's where they're going to go. The current decision tree at Disney starts with the IP and worries about a unifying theme afterwards.
I don't even think DAK & EPCOT are hard to inject IPs into, it's just that they don't want to use some of them for some reason. Up, Lion King & Jungle Book would all be perfect fits for DAK. Wall-E & Coco (not in Grand Fiesta but as an expansion) would be great for EPCOT; maybe Iron Man or Ant-Man would be too if they could ever get those rights back.

FigmentJedi

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Time

Deep in the Central American rainforest, a recently-unearthed temple is mystifying locals and archeologists alike. The temple's insertion l interior has been set up as a makeshift museum to share their recent discovery. Along with the usual paintings and artifacts, the temple's corridors are lined with the monsters of a prehistoric age. The artwork depicts natives interacting with the ancient beasts, demonstrating some sort of time-bending cooperative civilization. In the main chamber, historians discovered a complete Carnotaurus fossil... standing majestically behind an alter covered in time-worn offerings. On this alter rests a tall pedestal... a display whose prize jewel appears to be missing. The locals have long heard their elders tell stories of an enchanted stone - said to be a raw emerald three times the size of a man's head - that allowed their ancestors to cross timelines and live amongst dinosaurs.

Brought in to assist the local scientists, Indiana Jones journeys deep into the so-called Temple of Time in search of the emerald. An elder tribesman warns up as he begins his exploration that finding the emerald just might be the beginning of this journey, not the end. Once the emerald is found and restored to its proper place, the timelines again cross and the prehistoric world starts to blend with the current. With no balance between man and nature, the timelines cannot settle. Can Indiana Jones survive this encounter with ancient beasts and restore order and balance to the temple? Ride along to find out.

See? It wouldn't be *that* hard to make it all work.
I thought the Temple of Time's Macguffin was a magical sword.

cdunlap

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Time

Deep in the Central American rainforest, a recently-unearthed temple is mystifying locals and archeologists alike. The temple's insertion l interior has been set up as a makeshift museum to share their recent discovery. Along with the usual paintings and artifacts, the temple's corridors are lined with the monsters of a prehistoric age. The artwork depicts natives interacting with the ancient beasts, demonstrating some sort of time-bending cooperative civilization. In the main chamber, historians discovered a complete Carnotaurus fossil... standing majestically behind an alter covered in time-worn offerings. On this alter rests a tall pedestal... a display whose prize jewel appears to be missing. The locals have long heard their elders tell stories of an enchanted stone - said to be a raw emerald three times the size of a man's head - that allowed their ancestors to cross timelines and live amongst dinosaurs.

Brought in to assist the local scientists, Indiana Jones journeys deep into the so-called Temple of Time in search of the emerald. An elder tribesman warns up as he begins his exploration that finding the emerald just might be the beginning of this journey, not the end. Once the emerald is found and restored to its proper place, the timelines again cross and the prehistoric world starts to blend with the current. With no balance between man and nature, the timelines cannot settle. Can Indiana Jones survive this encounter with ancient beasts and restore order and balance to the temple? Ride along to find out.

See? It wouldn't be *that* hard to make it all work.
I would much rather it not have a focus on Dinosaurs, but instead focused on Aztec mythology, with Indy exploring an Aztec tomb and encountering ancient traps, Quetzalcoatl, Xolotl, the Aztec god of death and fire who takes the form of a dog, Aztec Mummy Warriors, snakes, giant beetles, Goliath bird eating tarantulas, scorpions, bats, caimans, and Aztec ghosts. The artifact in question would be the Xiuhcoatl, a flaming turquoise stone sword in the shape of a serpent wielded by Huitzilopochtli, the Aztec god of the sun and war.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
FWIW Re: Coco if the are considering Coco IP in this area Imagineering wouldn't be doing an Alebrije Flight attraction being that its too similar to Flight of Passage.
Our esteemed insider has indicated that Disney doesn't have the desire to replicate the FoP ride system anywhere. But that was a few years ago, and Disney can always change its mind.

Marc Davis Fan

I wonder if they'll keep Dino Sue and some of the other "fossil"/prehistoric items.

Maybe there's space for a little dinosaur exhibit somewhere at EPCOT, like within The Land?

rle4lunch

Indy at DL has been so neglected over the last decade that is live to see it shut down for a year or two to have a proper refurb, not just a month or two to fix one thing here or there. That said, there's so many unique themes to explore with AKs version

cdunlap

Or the building known as the Stave Church.
Or the literal minaret at Morocco Pavilion, the Temple of Heaven at China Pavilion, the Khmer Temples of the Jungle Cruise, the Hindu (judging by architecture) Temple of the Forbidden Eye at Disneyland, the garden of Polynesian deities at Disneyland, the graves with Christian symbols (ie: crosses and angels) at The Haunted Mansion, the Yeti shrine and Yeti temple at DAK, and many more subtle references to religions used to make the area more immersive!

SpectreJordan

The weirdest part to me is how on the nose they are about this replacing Dinoland and the insinuation that it's a bad area (it isn't). They wouldn't even dare say "It's Tough to be a Bug" when announcing the new Zootopia show that's actually happening... but they seem really proud that they want to replace specifically Dinoland?

They even made sure to include literal dinosaur emojis in a tweet pretty much saying they are getting rid of all dinosaurs in the park. I just think it's really weird that it's not like any other retheme they've announced.
I think the Dinosaur ride is fairly popular, but the land is not. I've really only seen people talk positively about that land in theme park fanatic circles & it's usually just about the story, not the quality of the land itself.

The ride, gift shop, Resaturantasurus & Digsite are good. But the ugly parking lot carnival never should've existed.

DAK1928

Regarding the Coco at DAK discourse... I noticed these areas are very similar in both the D23 Dinoland and Beyond Big Thunder concept art pieces...

Could be coincidence of course, but there are clearly notable similarities in both motif and land features

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 12.27.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 12.27.27 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 12.27.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 12.27.34 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 104

SpectreJordan

I really hope Coco doesn't come to Animal Kingdom. You can stretch Encanto & Indy to fit Animal Kingdom but there's no way to make Coco work. It'll be even worse if it's just for a flat ride or restaurant; the theme doesn't fit & then they're wasting the IP on something stupid like that.

Save Coco for the Beyond Big Thunder plans. I actually really like that plan & Big Thunder going into Mexico/Coco works really well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom