News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

JustInTime

Because it’s a discussion forum for your posts, not a 'let’s see what TikTok goober has to say'. This TikTok person is presumably not part of this forum or this thread, if they want to come in and add their thoughts, great. Otherwise, we don't need to see their dumb video. If you want to watch him, go on TikTok and watch him.
Yeah. You’re a little behind on the times. That’s okay. :)

erasure fan1

And people can have any opinion they want but I find it funny that people are so quick to jump to conclusions to how bad everything that was announced is going to be without any actual idea of what we will get.
You say that, but you seem to conveniently overlook statements.

about test track update
By far the best thing they announced. If done properly, it could be a really great refurb.
I also think bringing back the original Soarin was a good idea. But if everything isn't glorious and glowing in EVERY area, it's a problem.

"your type" seems to trash everything no matter what. Kind of like what you do with movies that you haven't seen or haven't even been released yet.
Funny, of the more recent Disney projects, I've supported/talked favorably about:
Andor, Ashoka, Mando, Indy, Luca, soul, Onward, Muppets mayhem, Guardians 3, Obi-wan, most of the marvel shows, to name a few. But because I don't fall in line with the support or love everything Disney does narrative, you and your buddies can't stand that. I give props when I think something deserves it and I call things out the same way. So if you want to call names everytime someone doesn't agree with you, so be it, that's on you.

mickEblu

Off topic but Disneylander here wondering how AK never got a Lion King ride? The park was literally being planned and built during the Lion King Pandemonium of the mid 90’s. I realize that the company wasn’t as IP crazy in those days but it seems odd that a Disney park named Animal Kingdom with an Africa land that opened in 1999 didn’t get a Lion King ride.

V_L_Raptor

That hasn’t really been a big problem in a good while. The issue is more that things cost more than anticipated so things get cut to keep the whole project in budget.

Which is what I mean, really. Sure, all this nice stuff shows up in the blue sky, but once budgetary constraints come into play, the offering will be reduced to... what? I'm thinking a popsicle stand and a gift shop with a capybara enclosure.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You keep wanting to interpret what was said as that person's too old to understand TikTok.

OK, zoomer.

That's not what's happening. No cap.

Posting some rando's opinion made outside this forum -- whether it's on TikTok, YouTube, podcast, website, newspaper opinion column, or telegraph -- is still just some rando's opinion.

Just because they took time to film and post their opinion doesn't give it any more weight on these forums than anyone else's opinion. Just because they have a following doesn't make their opinion cogent or their supposed facts correct. Nerdrage ranters rack up big follower numbers whether it's over Marvel or DC or politics. And most times, their dire predictions never come about and their social media postings amount to... nothing.

And posting their opinion gives no weight to your opinion, even tho you're posting their opinion to bolster yours. It means you don't have the ability to state and defend your opinions. You're hiding behind someone else and hoping no one knows about the "appeal to authority" fallacy (especially since that internet-rando accrues zero authority in the mind of anyone with critical thinking skills). Posting other people's opinion means you don't want to have to defend your opinion from pushback.

Consider also several people have been embarrassed by posting a YouTube influencer's opinion only to have it pointed out how crazy is that influencer's history of posted opinions have been. Be careful who you designate as your spokesperson. It redounds to you.

And speak for yourself.

Twirlnhurl

Off topic but Disneylander here wondering how AK never got a Lion King ride? The park was literally being planned and built during the Lion King Pandemonium of the mid 90’s. I realize that the company wasn’t as IP crazy in those days but it seems odd that a Disney park named Animal Kingdom with an Africa land that opened in 1999 didn’t get a Lion King ride.
The presence of Lion King in the parks is definitely not what you'd expect, given the popularity of the films.

While DAK was being designed initially, there was a Lion King show at Magic Kingdom (where Philharmagic is now), plus there were parades and that sort of thing.

But the opening day Lion King show at DAK was a last minute scramble--definitely not something that had any long term planning. It was just thrown together with some leftover parade floats and some very talented performers. And it is a pretty good show!

My guess is that Lion King has always had "enough" presence in the parks to sell merchandise that, whenever it was considered, something else always took top priority.

And as for international parks, since the show at DAK was so well received, that is what HKDL ended up getting too.

For all the popularity of the second golden age Disney animated movies, their representation in the parks is not what you'd expect. You'd think they were unpopular compared to Pixar movies or something, despite selling similar numbers of tickets domestically.

TheMaxRebo

I am not sure having Aladdin which takes place in a fictional arabian kingdom and has one of Disney+'s "culturally insensitive" warnings in front of it is a wise idea for the Morocco Pavilion never mind my aversion to IPs in EPCOT.

Oh, I don't think it is a great fit - they have already had the characters meet there in the past though

Brer Panther

Weren't there rumors on here of them adding a Lion King ride to Africa at some point in 2019?

cdunlap

In the Frozen Christmas special, there is a song lyric mentioning cookies in the shape of Norway, so yes.
For all we know, Arendelle is merely close to Norway and the two countries have good relations with one another. These cookies are merely honoring the friendship if that is the case!

ToTBellHop

For all we know, Arendelle is merely close to Norway and the two countries have good relations with one another. These cookies are merely honoring the friendship if that is the case!
They are talking about family Christmas traditions. We are close to Canada but I don’t bake maple leaf cookies.

I bake ‘Merica pies! I go with two incompatible flavors that clash violently in the middle.

Dinoman96

The Lion King: The Ride would be lousy. It’s a character drama. Exploring its setting and the wildlife would just be a cheap, fake version of Kilimanjaro Safaris next to that grand experience.
Yeah I imagine if you asked Joe Rohde about it, he'd probably give you that as an answer.

I always felt that there was a clear design choice on his and the Imagineering team's part to explicitly avoid doing rides that were just third person retellings (or "book reports" as we're calling them in this thread) like that in Animal Kingdom, as the park was meant to represent the guests' own adventure through these foreign lands, that's why practically every major attraction has always played out in first person (i.e Dr. Seeker sending us back in time to save Aladar, Flick doing a talent show trying to convince us why bugs are important in the world only for Hopper to invade and terrorize us, guests going on a safari in an African nature reserve (and even thwarting a poaching attempt in earlier iterations), etc.

I think the only major exception to this is like, Finding Nemo.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

It has nothing to do with 'the times'. It has to do with the fact that the video is not from a member of this forum and thus is not part of the discussion. You don't have to get mad because you like the app. Its like someone linked to a post on The DIS and said 'this guy makes some good points'. If they wanted to discuss with that guy, they can do it there, not interrupting this forum/thread to do so. Same with TikityTokity. If you want to interact with their bad takes, do it there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
By the time of Frozen (mid 1800s), Norway, Sweden, and Denmark had been established nations/monarchies for many centuries.

Long gone is the time of independent monarchical city-states such as Arendelle seems to be. The three great powers were constantly vying to ultimate Scandinavian dominance for centuries prior and no small city-state would have been able to survive as an independent realm.

So, Frozen must exist in some alternate timeline in which Norway is still comprised of many city-state monarchies and hadn't been united centuries earlier, OR, it's some city-state/monarchy that held out from being assimilated into either Norway, Sweden, or Denmark for half a millennium. And even if it was a separate city-state and not part of a Norwegian government, it's still clear it sits on the Norwegian coast.

It is super-clear to everyone that this is an alternate timeline and Arendelle is a city-state monarchy located in Norway... except by those who hate the IP being added to the Norway Pavilion, who suddenly start taking issue with actual real-world geography and history in a movie with magical ice powers. Magical ice powers and real-world history normally don't co-exist with each other.

It's Norway. The film makers have said so. The cookie in the shape of Norway was a nose-tweak to Norway-deniers. Norway tourism board sponsors Frozen trips.

Only EPCOT purists refuse to believe Arendelle is set in Norway.

ToTBellHop

By the time of Frozen (mid 1800s), Norway, Sweden, and Denmark had been established nations/monarchies for many centuries.

Long gone is the time of independent monarchical city-states such as Arendelle seems to be. The three great powers were constantly vying to ultimate Scandinavian dominance for centuries prior and no small city-state would have been able to survive as an independent realm.

So, Frozen must exist in some alternate timeline in which Norway is still comprised of many city-state monarchies and hadn't been united centuries earlier, OR, it's some city-state/monarchy that held out from being assimilated into either Norway, Sweden, or Denmark for half a millennium. And even if it was a separate city-state and not part of a Norwegian government, it's still clear it sits on the Norwegian coast.

It is super-clear to everyone that this is an alternate timeline and Arendelle is a city-state monarchy located in Norway... except by those who hate the IP being added to the Norway Pavilion, who suddenly start taking issue with actual real-world geography and history in a movie with magical ice powers. Magical ice powers and real-world history normally don't co-exist with each other.

It's Norway. The film makers have said so. The cookie in the shape of Norway was a nose-tweak to Norway-deniers. Norway tourism board sponsors Frozen trips.

Only EPCOT purists refuse to believe Arendelle is set in Norway.
I’ve summered in Arendelle for years so I don’t know what’s wrong with some of the people in here. Definitely in Norway.
1694610706499.png

Here’s me in July of this year:
1694610823967.jpeg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So, if "Tropical Americas" takes place, I see some people hoping the Nemo show could anchor an Oceania land.

There's no room. If you want an Oceania land, you raze Nemo and build a mini-land (based, of course on Moana). This Oceania land will be hemmed in by Tropical Americas and EE.

OR... you can expand Tropical Americas and make Nemo an Encanto show (or sing-along).
I think expanding Troptical Americas makes more sense. Nemo as an Encanto show or some other show that fits the theme. The the bridge over from EE becomes the clean break between Asia and Americas. Then make a more direct path into main Encanto area.

If they eventually did an Oceania land I’d rather see it behind Asia in expansion area….maybe by AK 40th anniversary;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom