News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

ToTBellHop

I didn't see that in the Adventures by Disney guidebook. Is that a repeat customer offering or something?
People around here know I’m kind of a big deal according to the Walt Disney Co. I mean, they made that new DCL Castaway Club for me.

You’re welcome for the APs returning.
1694612713252.gif

UNCgolf

By the time of Frozen (mid 1800s), Norway, Sweden, and Denmark had been established nations/monarchies for many centuries.

Long gone is the time of independent monarchical city-states such as Arendelle seems to be. The three great powers were constantly vying to ultimate Scandinavian dominance for centuries prior and no small city-state would have been able to survive as an independent realm.

So, Frozen must exist in some alternate timeline in which Norway is still comprised of many city-state monarchies and hadn't been united centuries earlier, OR, it's some city-state/monarchy that held out from being assimilated into either Norway, Sweden, or Denmark for half a millennium. And even if it was a separate city-state and not part of a Norwegian government, it's still clear it sits on the Norwegian coast.

It is super-clear to everyone that this is an alternate timeline and Arendelle is a city-state monarchy located in Norway... except by those who hate the IP being added to the Norway Pavilion, who suddenly start taking issue with actual real-world geography and history in a movie with magical ice powers. Magical ice powers and real-world history normally don't co-exist with each other.

It's Norway. The film makers have said so. The cookie in the shape of Norway was a nose-tweak to Norway-deniers. Norway tourism board sponsors Frozen trips.

Only EPCOT purists refuse to believe Arendelle is set in Norway.

This is kind of silly and feels pretty disingenuous -- you could make similar claims about the setting of numerous Disney films if you want to do deep dives into design etc. Whether it's supposed to actually be Norway is really irrelevant to the film's plot and characters.

More importantly, whether the filmmakers intended it to be Norway is also irrelevant regarding whether it fits in the Norway pavilion as currently presented. It's super-clear to everyone it does not fit. The fact that it's such a horribly designed attraction only makes things worse.

Last edited:

JustInTime

You keep wanting to interpret what was said as that person's too old to understand TikTok.

OK, zoomer.

That's not what's happening. No cap.

Posting some rando's opinion made outside this forum -- whether it's on TikTok, YouTube, podcast, website, newspaper opinion column, or telegraph -- is still just some rando's opinion.

Just because they took time to film and post their opinion doesn't give it any more weight on these forums than anyone else's opinion. Just because they have a following doesn't make their opinion cogent or their supposed facts correct. Nerdrage ranters rack up big follower numbers whether it's over Marvel or DC or politics. And most times, their dire predictions never come about and their social media postings amount to... nothing.

And posting their opinion gives no weight to your opinion, even tho you're posting their opinion to bolster yours. It means you don't have the ability to state and defend your opinions. You're hiding behind someone else and hoping no one knows about the "appeal to authority" fallacy (especially since that internet-rando accrues zero authority in the mind of anyone with critical thinking skills). Posting other people's opinion means you don't want to have to defend your opinion from pushback.

Consider also several people have been embarrassed by posting a YouTube influencer's opinion only to have it pointed out how crazy is that influencer's history of posted opinions have been. Be careful who you designate as your spokesperson. It redounds to you.

And speak for yourself.
I am speaking for myself. :)

UNCgolf

Frozen in Norway is fine. My issue is the book report ride. Maelstrom was better, as a view into Norway’s history and present. I wish Frozen used their characters to tell a similar story about Norway. I’ve been to Norway, it’s an incredible place with a rich history.

This is my whole point. Using Frozen characters to tie into real world Norway would be fine, but that's not what they did. It's almost the Arendelle pavilion at this point (not entirely, though, which is good).

aladdin2007

This is my whole point. Using Frozen characters to tie into real world Norway would be fine, but that's not what they did. It's almost the Arendelle pavilion at this point (not entirely, though, which is good).
You can thank Staggs for greenlighting/shoehorning it in,,,,,,you can thank Magnum for retaining/saving it as Norway, as such....Had a sponsorship or government support come through things would probably be even a little more Norwegian, but were lucky to have what we have left. I still dont understand why Akershus is not a frozen character meal,,,,at least it would be fitting.

I hope just hope Stave church exhibit remains, I know all those items are on loan, but its well received. Now if they would just turn the sound/music back on in there......

Bocabear

This is kind of silly and feels pretty disingenuous -- you could make similar claims about the setting of numerous Disney films if you want to do deep dives into design etc. Whether it's supposed to actually be Norway is really irrelevant to the film's plot and characters.

More importantly, whether the filmmakers intended it to be Norway is also irrelevant regarding whether it fits in the Norway pavilion as currently presented. It's super-clear to everyone it does not fit. The fact that it's such a horribly designed attraction only makes things worse.
I think that might be overly harsh. I think the ride from the top of the lift hill to Elsa's Throne room feels like a lot is missing
That first turn in the show building when Olaf turns and walks toward the boats while singing, is pretty darn magical though...
It just feels like there was more designed that was cut leaving holes in the experience...
Feels like the "Horrible" could have been a budget because there are moments that are quite good.

aladdin2007

I think that might be overly harsh. I the ride from the top of the lift hill to Elsa's Throne room feel like a lot is missing
That first turn in the show building when Olaf turns and walks toward the boats while singing, is pretty darn magical...
It just feels like there was more designed that was cut leaving holes in the experience...
Feels like the "Horrible" could have been a budget because there are moments that are quite good.
its obvious the budget went to the new first floor new room (former queue), the finale new scene with anna and elsa,,,and to closing up the open rocks....... the upstairs scenes they didnt allocate enough money or planned it that way on purpose unfortunately.

UNCgolf

I think that might be overly harsh. I think the ride from the top of the lift hill to Elsa's Throne room feels like a lot is missing
That first turn in the show building when Olaf turns and walks toward the boats while singing, is pretty darn magical though...

The AAs are great (except for the terrible faces), but so much of the ride is just barren from a setting standpoint. It's also just "here are some characters from the movie singing songs from the movie" -- there's really nothing else to it than that. There's no other draw to it beyond the Frozen IP itself.

Horrible might be an overstatement, but I do think it's one of the weakest attractions at WDW (not counting flat rides). I think it would be the worst at EPCOT if Nemo and the terrible shell of Imagination didn't exist (the placesetting of the Mexico boat ride with the restaurant and temple is enough to put it ahead of FEA for me even if the rest of the ride is pretty bland).

UNCgolf

I think it's fair to say it's Norway based on all the clues in the movie. Here's an article summarizing it. Of course, Disney can put it wherever they want and claim what they want - but I think it matters the filmmakers were very inspired by Norway.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/blog/where-does-frozen-take-place-norway

Oh I absolutely agree they were inspired by Norway. I don't think that's in question. But, e.g., Skyrim also takes some inspiration from Norway.

I don't think taking inspiration from a real place is the same as saying it is that real place -- Arendelle is, after all, a fantasy kingdom with someone who can do ice magic. But, as I said above, I also think that's really beside the point when it comes to Frozen Ever After itself and its place in the Norway pavilion. Frozen could absolutely work well in the Norway pavilion; they just didn't choose to use it that way.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

It has nothing to do with 'the times'. It has to do with the fact that the video is not from a member of this forum and thus is not part of the discussion. You don't have to get mad because you like the app. Its like someone linked to a post on The DIS and said 'this guy makes some good points'. If they wanted to discuss with that guy, they can do it there, not interrupting this forum/thread to do so. Same with TikityTokity. If you want to interact with their bad takes, do it there.
This board would get real quiet real fast if nobody ever shared anything from outside of this website.

The fact that you choose to refer to the app by weird pet names and boilerplate judgements only reinforces the idea that you have some problem with Tiktok. You're creating that perception yourself.

Poseidon Quest

Getting back to topic, I realistically don't expect a penny pinching company like Disney to seriously consider retheming DInoland soon. I have to imagine that gutting the Dinosaur building and retheming to Indy, which itself is an expensive attraction and one that is apparently a headache to maintain in Disneyland, is something that's appealing to leadership right now. Also, why move Encanto to Animal Kingdom if they were serious about expanding beyond Big Thunder Mountain?

It's really a wishy-washy mess of "what ifs?" and not real plans, or at least it appears that way. At this point they're attempting damage control and trying to keep the media divisions afloat, so I doubt that they're actually considering any significant park investment. I think it's going to be a long time before any new big plans come to fruition bigger than Country Bears or the Tree of Life show.

999th Happy Haunt

The weirdest part to me is how on the nose they are about this replacing Dinoland and the insinuation that it's a bad area (it isn't). They wouldn't even dare say "It's Tough to be a Bug" when announcing the new Zootopia show that's actually happening... but they seem really proud that they want to replace specifically Dinoland?

They even made sure to include literal dinosaur emojis in a tweet pretty much saying they are getting rid of all dinosaurs in the park. I just think it's really weird that it's not like any other retheme they've announced.

James Alucobond

The weirdest part to me is how on the nose they are about this replacing Dinoland and the insinuation that it's a bad area (it isn't). They wouldn't even dare say "It's Tough to be a Bug" when announcing the new Zootopia show that's actually happening... but they seem really proud that they want to replace specifically Dinoland?

They even made sure to include literal dinosaur emojis in a tweet pretty much saying they are getting rid of all dinosaurs in the park. I just think it's really weird that it's not like any other retheme they've announced.
That tweet seems completely benign.

SirLink

Frozen in Norway is fine. My issue is the book report ride. Maelstrom was better, as a view into Norway’s history and present. I wish Frozen used their characters to tell a similar story about Norway. I’ve been to Norway, it’s an incredible place with a rich history.

On that point of Book Report: The Ride, expect Encanto to be exactly to be the same which then leads to an interesting question why not use logic and reason by the bozos and realize their IP obsession doesn't make sense given that Haunted Mansion and POTC weren't IP until they were.

Imagine an original take on Dinosaurs with a relative healthy budget more logical than a land devoid of South American animals another book report ride and a carbon copy of the TDS Indy ride.

TheMaxRebo

On that point of Book Report: The Ride, expect Encanto to be exactly to be the same which then leads to an interesting question why not use logic and reason by the bozos and realize their IP obsession doesn't make sense given that Haunted Mansion and POTC weren't IP until they were.

Imagine an original take on Dinosaurs with a relative healthy budget more logical than a land devoid of South American animals another book report ride and a carbon copy of the TDS Indy ride.

I do wish they would think differently about IP and know they can go the other way - creat a new ride and original characters and back story that could become a franchise that way and then movies, etc can be based on that vs only going the other way. And not like they don't spend hundreds of millions of dollars on films that may or may not be a hit anyway - why not take those same funds and try a creative original attraction?

At least give it a shot

TheMaxRebo

I general agree, though Frozen Ever After isn't taking you through the story of the movie, it is set after the film and is a different story

James Alucobond

I actually don’t see Frozen Ever After as a book report ride. It’s more like Frozen (Reprise). I think they were stuck between a rock and a hard place because Frozen is the music to a greater degree than with any of their other properties. Let It Go is what made it a sensation, so you can’t just leave that out. All things considered, I thought they did a decent job of recontextualizing the songs with the lyrical edits. Is it a good fit for Norway? No. Could it have better set design? Yes. But I think it ably accomplishes what a Frozen attraction needs to in order to be satisfying for its fans.

As for what we expect out of an Encanto ride, I actually think a book report is unlikely because a Mystic Manor overlay makes so much sense, but only if the focus is on Casita and its rooms. I don’t see how they could easily map it to the film. However, as a series of vignettes, there are a number of similarities that they could capitalize on. For instance, the first room could easily be behind the walls in Bruno’s secret chamber, with his rats standing in for Albert and Bruno popping out of the wall to chat with them. Perhaps they cause some mischief, like blowing out Abuela’s candle, which throws the house into chaos. The music room is a perfect opportunity for Casita to demonstrate its own musical qualities by clacking its shingles and clinking its tiles; photos in the corridor could split and change as the house’s magic comes undone; Pepa’s frosty powers could leak out of her door and crack the mirror; Antonio’s animals could be running amok in the former armory; Isabela’s plants could be growing wild in the former conservatory; and Bruno’s sands could be spilling out into the former tiki room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom