News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

UNCgolf

I've also long said that one of the things I miss about attractions like Maelstrom, imperfect though it was (Tony Baxter's critique that the short film should've come before the ride certainly holds up), was that when taken in its totality - ride, short wait in the darkened seaport town, short movie - it actually added up to something that felt like a more substantial experience.

The norm now is to wait much longer in line for attractions that are much, much shorter overall. That's not always the end of the world, no one's expecting a roller coaster to be a 15 minute experience, but it's something I definitely miss. I know some rides try to make up for it with more stuff happening during the queue, but (and I know this is pretty subjective) that can be pretty hit or miss, for me.

This is one of the many things I loved about EPCOT. There was so much more going on than just a ride in most of the pavilions, and even the rides themselves were often only part of a larger overall experience, as well as generally being much longer than your average theme park attraction.

TheMaxRebo

I've also long said that one of the things I miss about attractions like Maelstrom, imperfect though it was (Tony Baxter's critique that the short film should've come before the ride certainly holds up), was that when taken in its totality - ride, short wait in the darkened seaport town, short movie - it actually added up to something that felt like a more substantial experience.

The norm now is to wait much longer in line for attractions that are much, much shorter overall. That's not always the end of the world, no one's expecting a roller coaster to be a 15 minute experience, but it's something I definitely miss. I know some rides try to make up for it with more stuff happening during the queue, but (and I know this is pretty subjective) that can be pretty hit or miss, for me.

Agree in some cases but then others I think there is a pretty lengthly full experience Cosmic Rewind, you have the videos in the queue but then two preshow experiences then the next part fo the queue before the actual ride. The entire exprience is 15-20 mins

Similar for Rise of the Resistance with the preshow elements

RoysCabin

This is one of the many things I loved about EPCOT. There was so much more going on than just a ride in most of the pavilions, and even the rides themselves were often only part of a larger overall experience, as well as generally being much longer than your average theme park attraction.
I was lucky to go to the parks a lot as a very small child in the late 80s and through grade school in the 90s, and between classic EPCOT and a lot of early MGM attractions, it almost felt like stuff that went at least 12 minutes was the norm at times.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I was lucky to go to the parks a lot as a very small child in the late 80s and through grade school in the 90s, and between classic EPCOT and a lot of early MGM attractions, it almost felt like stuff that went at least 12 minutes was the norm at times.
You were able to experience peak EPCOT Center, which was arguably late 1991-1994. All of the original pavilions were running and basically unaltered. No Test Track, no Imagination Institute, no Ellen… you get the point. And you’re right - those pavilions ATE people (and it was popular, despite what some around here try to argue).

MGM didn’t really start getting its footing until the last remaining example of WDI near-perfection, the ToT, opened in 1994.

SpectreJordan

You were able to experience peak EPCOT Center, which was arguably late 1991-1994. All of the original pavilions were running and basically unaltered. No Test Track, no Imagination Institute, no Ellen… you get the point. And you’re right - those pavilions ATE people (and it was popular, despite what some around here try to argue).

MGM didn’t really start getting its footing until the last remaining example of WDI near-perfection, the ToT, opened in 1994.
I wish we could've gotten a lot of the cancelled MGM rides like Dick Tracy & Roger Rabbit. Those concepts sounded amazing & I imagine the Imagineers of that era would've killed it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’ll be curious to see if they modify further before construction begins.
flights ua GIF

Indy_UK

If they are serious about not building a 5th park then the whole of ‘behind thunder mountain’ needs to be the Villians land.

Animal Kingdom needs a lot more than the Dinoland we work. It will be a net gain of 1 attraction when said and done isn’t it? Nice land themes are all well and good but the parks need capacity..

I wonder if the proposed Lion King land for Paris will get cloned for AK too

Andrew25

That is one of the problems (Not aimed at you though 👋 )
Oh, I get exactly what you are referring to. I care about the parks' integrity... but I just don't realistically see a modern Disney create attractions that tie back to the original intention of the park. I can only hope the attraction (with whatever IP is mandated) is decent at this point, unfortunately.

TheMaxRebo

I think the last blue sky presentation was about the best we can hope for under current management. It shouldn't be too disruptive to the park's theme and could (and should) potentially add at least a few new animals.

At the very least it was a massive improvement over building a Zootopia ride.

I was really glad it was more designed as a region for the area and then fit some IP into it vs like "Moana land"

Still wish they were expanding in addition to this update though ( 3rd attraction in Pandora, something behind Kali river, etc) to really expand the capacity of the park though

TheMaxRebo

Still shocked they have not approved a third Avatar ride. The sequel shows it has staying power.

Same - along with a TS restaurant in the area - would think between that revenue and what would come from ILL (or increased G+ demand) from the 3rd attraction it could provide sufficient return. Plus increase demand in the evening witch keeps people in the park, buying food, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom