News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

matt9112

I think Frozen is equally disjointed, and also looks barren/unfinished compared to Maelstrom.

I think FEA is one of the worst designed rides at WDW, though -- it's really more about that than Maelstrom. It has nice AAs (and even those are brought down by the projection faces), and that's basically it. It's sole appeal is the inclusion of Frozen characters and Frozen songs; there's nothing else there.

The masses eat it up… it’s a terrible ride that people ogle over.

Bocabear

The masses eat it up… it’s a terrible ride that people ogle over.
But you have to admit...that turn into the first show scene when Olaf starts singing and walks towards you is absolutely magic... It's really the top of the lift hill that feels disappointing... all the blank space... They could add more set pieces and a few more animatronics and flesh it out....

Last edited:

celluloid

Which project do you guys think will get cancelled first? Indy or Beyond Big Thunder.

Beyond Big Thunder has more drawing power, but it is in MK and that has the retheme of splash and will cost a lot more.

Indy will be much cheaper as it is a retheme, the Iger shoehorn special, but is not likely to move the needle very much by the time it actually gets done.

yensidtlaw1969

I guess what is more shocking is they purpose built the one in Hong Kong and it is exactly the same... No changes except no projected faces on their AAs.... So, rushed or not, this was the plan....
There are actually some decently significant changes that improve the ride over the EPCOT version, but on video they don't stand out all that clearly. The layout has been reconfigured to allow for several of the scenes to be larger and more detailed, some of the seams are better hidden (think ceilings and lighting equipment), and I believe the drop is higher as well. May also be steeper, not sure on that.

And of course the queue is very different and much more elaborate, as is the land itself, and no doubt the better context that those provide go some length to making the ride feel more satisfying. But I recognize that's separate from what we're both talking about.

That said, I fully agree that any Frozen ride that wasn't being built in EPCOT (and, truthfully, even the one that was) should rely minimally on the DNA of Maelstrom for its design. Hong Kong and Paris, whose ride will be basically idential to HK's, both deserve better out of a new build of a ride based on a billion dollar franchise.

I will say that if you told me 10 years ago that none of the Frozen rides built would use LPS "sleigh" ride vehicles that "skate" across the "ice" I wouldn't have believed you. Crazy to me that a movie all about frozen water ended up with a bunch of boat rides.

MagicHappens1971

Which project do you guys think will get cancelled first? Indy or Beyond Big Thunder.

Beyond Big Thunder has more drawing power, but it is in MK and that has the retheme of splash and will cost a lot more.

Indy will be much cheaper as it is a retheme, the Iger shoehorn special, but is not likely to move the needle very much by the time it actually gets done.
Logistically both NEED to happen. Beyond Big Thunder could be built with minimal to no impact on the daily ops of MK. Indy (or whatever becomes of this expansion/retheme) would need to happen in phases and I don't think will be as big of a draw to DAK as whatever Beyond Big Thunder would be to MK.

I think the "Iger special" would be stupid here. Spending 100M to retheme Dino and then another 150-200M to build a Primeval Whirl replacement, and another 75M to retheme the rest of the area. We're looking at ~375M for something that will barley move the needle of DAK's capacity problems.

Beyond Big Thunder (done properly) will probably cost north of 700M.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how seriously Bob is about "turbo-charging" the parks.

celluloid

Logistically both NEED to happen. Beyond Big Thunder could be built with minimal to no impact on the daily ops of MK. Indy (or whatever becomes of this expansion/retheme) would need to happen in phases and I don't think will be as big of a draw to DAK as whatever Beyond Big Thunder would be to MK.

I think the "Iger special" would be stupid here. Spending 100M to retheme Dino and then another 150-200M to build a Primeval Whirl replacement, and another 75M to retheme the rest of the area. We're looking at ~375M for something that will barley move the needle of DAK's capacity problems.

Beyond Big Thunder (done properly) will probably cost north of 700M.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how seriously Bob is about "turbo-charging" the parks.

Agreed 100 percent. Indy is just too little too late.

Beyond Big Thunder needs all the stops, and it needs to compliment the MK, not just be the lesser levels of Fantasyland Expansion.

I would really love for something better to come along for MK that could be faster but just wow everyone.

Bocabear

Villains Lair for the expansion...It could be a great counterpoint to Universal Monsters, fit the Magic Kingdom perfectly and add a few more rides, and if done well like Universal has done with Harry Potter, it could be absolutely amazing.
but it would take a great investment, and would really need to be done well with a budget to match....

ToTBellHop

Here’s hoping, with the move of Encanto and Coco to DAK (until they change their minds), they will simply build an awesome villain-packed Shadowland behind Big Thunder. Fully fleshed out with a couple rides, entertainment, dining, retail. Disney need only view the latest aerials of Epic Universe for ideas on a spooky land.

You could have a really cool transition from Big Thunder like what happens around Phantom Manor in Paris. The sensory tickles there were a joy to see.

drizgirl

Here’s hoping, with the move of Encanto and Coco to DAK (until they change their minds), they will simply build an awesome villain-packed Shadowland behind Big Thunder. Fully fleshed out with a couple rides, entertainment, dining, retail. Disney need only view the latest aerials of Epic Universe for ideas on a spooky land.

You could have a really cool transition from Big Thunder like what happens around Phantom Manor in Paris. The sensory tickles there were a joy to see.
"Fully fleshed out" is now a couple of rides?

Bocabear

If they really pull out the stops and do a Villain's land with multiple attractions, dining and retail, it could be the next big thing for Disney parks worldwide...and create a huge uptick in attendance... it would truly help "turbocharge" the Magic Kingdom. If they do a value engineered version I don't think it would do much to move the needle...

ToTBellHop

If they really pull out the stops and do a Villain's land with multiple attractions, dining and retail, it could be the next big thing for Disney parks worldwide...and create a huge uptick in attendance... it would truly help "turbocharge" the Magic Kingdom. If they do a value engineered version I don't think it would do much to move the needle...
I guess we will find out in 2032…

KDM31091

As others have said I don't think Indy will really move the needle for DAK. It will be exciting for a bit and then the novelty will wear off, and more importantly it's not going to significantly help the crowding or lack of capacity since it will use the same ride system etc.

Disney needs to ADD to the parks, not just replace. Other than Tron, what in the past decade has been actual new construction and not a replacement on some level?

Twirlnhurl

Disney needs to ADD to the parks, not just replace. Other than Tron, what in the past decade has been actual new construction and not a replacement on some level?
Toy Story Land and Star Wars Galaxy's Edge may not have been a net increase of total attractions, but the utilized capacity is dramatically higher. Rise of the Resistance serves about the same number of people that Lights Motors Action would serve in 6 hours. Smugglers Run is also about twice as popular as Studio Backlot Tour. Slinky Dog Dash serves more than Honey I Shrunk The Kids. And Alien Swirling Saucers serves more than Jack Sparrow, Narnia, or whatever other garbage used to be in that sound stage.

Ratatouille was all new capacity.

Guardians of the Galaxy is ridden by more people a day than Universe of Energy and 2005 Wonders of Life combined.

I wish Disney would build more new, especially in DHS and DAK. But if they have to replace, at least the underutilized attractions like Dinosaur and Triceratops Spin are good candidates.

RoysCabin

I think Frozen is equally disjointed, and also looks barren/unfinished compared to Maelstrom.

I think FEA is one of the worst designed rides at WDW, though -- it's really more about that than Maelstrom. It has nice AAs (and even those are brought down by the projection faces), and that's basically it. It's sole appeal is the inclusion of Frozen characters and Frozen songs; there's nothing else there.
I've also long said that one of the things I miss about attractions like Maelstrom, imperfect though it was (Tony Baxter's critique that the short film should've come before the ride certainly holds up), was that when taken in its totality - ride, short wait in the darkened seaport town, short movie - it actually added up to something that felt like a more substantial experience.

The norm now is to wait much longer in line for attractions that are much, much shorter overall. That's not always the end of the world, no one's expecting a roller coaster to be a 15 minute experience, but it's something I definitely miss. I know some rides try to make up for it with more stuff happening during the queue, but (and I know this is pretty subjective) that can be pretty hit or miss, for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom