News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Ice Gator

As much as I love Dinosaur, is anyone here actually excited for the Indiana Jones attraction? I won’t lie even if it ends up being a clone of IJ Adventure at Disneyland I’d be stoked, but I’m a little weary they wouldn’t “be able to afford” some of those effects.

I’d hate for it to end up being a screen ride utilizing the same layout of IJA and Dinosaur with a single A1000 of Indy at the end. That’s gotta be the worst case scenario for me.

I get all the chat about Encanto and Coco, but I’m not concerned about either especially since AK could use a dark ride on the level of Mystic Manor (what I presume Encanto will be like). Indy is the one they need to knock out of the park here.

ToTBellHop

As much as I love Dinosaur, is anyone here actually excited for the Indiana Jones attraction? I won’t lie even if it ends up being a clone of IJ Adventure at Disneyland I’d be stoked, but I’m a little weary they wouldn’t “be able to afford” some of those effects.

I’d hate for it to end up being a screen ride utilizing the same layout of IJA and Dinosaur with a single A1000 of Indy at the end. That’s gotta be the worst case scenario for me.

I get all the chat about Encanto and Coco, but I’m not concerned about either especially since AK could use a dark ride on the level of Mystic Manor (what I presume Encanto will be like). Indy is the one they need to knock out of the park here.
I’m excited. IJA is better than Dino. And I can easily go to Universal for a more enjoyable dinosaur experience.

Nickm2022

I'm actually really excited for Tropical Americas and Indy+Encanto(+Coco?). If the rumors are true Indy is going to have a Mayan theme with animals involved, and that sounds really interesting and would add some freshness to the IP, and (with the exception of Cosmic) Encanto is the first attraction to not be cloned or cloning in a long time. I honestly view and think of this land as a mini successor to Fantasy Springs when it comes to theming, multiple IP's plus original stuff, and improves the park overall. I think the thing really hurting it is that they still after months have yet to confirm it and is the second blue sky plan making people hold back any excitement. Even I won't believe anything until I steel go up.

Ice Gator

I’m excited. IJA is better than Dino. And I can easily go to Universal for a more enjoyable dinosaur experience.
That’s how I always thought about it too. Like it or not Dinosaur/CTX always felt like a knockoff of Jurassic Park to me (especially with the Dino Institute). I doubt most guests know of the film (I rewatched it a few months ago and it’s pretty terrible. Aladar has got to be one of the ugliest designs for a main character in Disney history). The ride has fallen into a state of near disrepair and has been pretty much neglected for years.

I’ll take Jurassic Park over at IOA any day of the week over Dinoland.

The Leader of the Club

I’ll take Jurassic Park over at IOA any day of the week over Dinoland.
Agreed, but Universal really needs to give River Adventure some TLC. I don't think this should be the first Dinosaur anyone sees on their vacation:

1717713073912.png

eddie104

The ride has fallen into a state of near disrepair and has been pretty much neglected for years.
That’s a little exaggeration in my opinion as it did get some minor refurbs throughout the years from what I can remember.

But yes they clearly didn’t like the execution either since it’s going away now.

Agreed, but Universal really needs to give River Adventure some TLC. I don't think this should be the first Dinosaur anyone sees on their vacation:
I know Japan is getting some new boats for their version.

When Epic opens next year I feel they will finally give a full overhaul.

Last edited:

Ice Gator

That’s a little exaggeration in my opinion as it did get some minor refurbs throughout the years from what I can remember.

But yes they clearly didn’t like the execution either since it’s going away now.
The minor refurbs didn’t do much unfortunately. Most of the dinos were still broken or operating in “B-mode” even after. The lighting effects with the compys were nice touches, but those refurbs felt more like little touch ups they were adding to distract you from the hardly-moving dinos. The ride just hasn’t hit the same for me since the mid 2000s.

Ice Gator

View attachment 789920
Ha! I’ve seen that before. I’m surprised they didn’t turn it into Jurassic World The Ride they have over at Hollywood, especially since they added Velocicoaster which fits with the JW theme. Still, it’s a far better experience than Dinosaur in my opinion.

999th Happy Haunt

To those who are saying River Adventure is better than CTX, I think your heads are as loose as that Sauropod's at IoA! Even in its current state of disrepair, CTX beats River every time in my opinion. If it were firing on all cylinders, there is no contest at all.

I've decided to call it CTX until it closes. It just feels appropriate.
They’re both good for different reasons. Neither should close because the other is “better”.

Fox&Hound

I think one major gripe is that it's a replacement and not a new addition. Why can't we keep Dinoland and get a new land? They have space. Why is Disney so insistent on not adding to the attraction totals?
Because Dinosaur has low ratings and most did not love it? Because dinorama was sad when it opened? I agree they need to add and not just replace but very few will be broken hearted when this land finally gets the overhaul it deserves.

Ice Gator

I think one major gripe is that it's a replacement and not a new addition. Why can't we keep Dinoland and get a new land? They have space. Why is Disney so insistent on not adding to the attraction totals?
Dinorama was a product of the “budget” Eisner era. Same deal as early DCA. Build cheap amusement park rides but make the theme a cheap amusement park so *technically* they’re not breaking Disney code.

Dinorama is horrible. I’m sorry for those who like it, but I’ve never got why you’d want a piece of a Six Flags midway in the middle of the most beautiful and well themed WDW park. Of all the things they could have done to represent Dinosaurs, they chose to build a corner of a state fair and just let it sit there for 20+ years.

The Chester and Hester “story” is funny and all, but let’s not pretend any guests (who aren’t hardcore Disney fans) actually paid attention or got it. It’s always looked like one of those pop up carnivals you find in mall parking lots, and it functioned a lot like one too, with the exception of CTX and the Boneyard.

Ice Gator

Because Dinosaur has low ratings and most did not love it? Because dinorama was sad when it opened? I agree they need to add and not just replace but very few will be broken hearted when this land finally gets the overhaul it deserves.
Even though they are adding IPs, I can’t complain because all the IPs actually FIT in the new land without having to be modified. It also fits Animal Kingdom- we now have a Central/South America land to go along with Africa and Asia.

EricsBiscuit

To those who are saying River Adventure is better than CTX, I think your heads are as loose as that Sauropod's at IoA! Even in its current state of disrepair, CTX beats River every time in my opinion. If it were firing on all cylinders, there is no contest at all.

I've decided to call it CTX until it closes. It just feels appropriate.
Surprisingly Dinosaur looks the best I’ve seen it in years.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Dinorama? Yes. It was bad.

The rest of Dinoland USA (Dinosaur, Boneyard, Restaurantasaurus,etc)? Was perfectly fine and should have stayed.
Even that is debatable. Is Restaurantasaurus the pinnacle of Disney theming? I'll miss the boneyard but lets be honest, as long as Tropical Americas has a good budget, which it's looking like it will, it will be a massive upgrade. It's fine if you like it but I've never been a fan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom