News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

SilentWindODoom

Are there any plans for a legit encanto attraction? I really wish we would get that at MK instead of another Moana attraction but we shall see.

From what insiders have been saying, all signs point to yes. Unless something's changed.

The buildings are not the same. That big central room in the Indiana Jones Adventure is due to a double height space that isn’t present in Dinosaur. Removing the floors could be a significant undertaking depending on how they were designed.

In terms of "building", I'm referring to the overall envelop and framework. The grid of loadbearing steel, outer walls, and ceiling. Is his big central room just a lack of floor at that portion, or an actual difference in the roof?

Looking at the plans, it does seem there are a whole bunch of stairs and other structures where the open area is (to the left of the "surprise attack" in the first picture).

1716793603026.png
1716793636816.png

Anyone who know anything about the guts of the attraction know what the deal is here? Is this just access to the areas that are floor in Dinosaur and open space in Indy? Or what?

FettFan

It’s enough of one for me! Haha. Moana was a fine movie but Encanto was so much better and more fun.

Major disagree, as Moana is actually coherently written.

Encanto has catchy music and bright colors, but the story itself makes very little sense when you sit down and think about it.

Especially the part where the entire Madrigal family is gaslit into being indentured servants because granny has a victim complex and wants her ego stroked.

c5120e8b5735632b0b64f3ec0d8e70e206f6679e.gif

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Especially the part where the entire Madrigal family is gaslit into being indentured servants because granny has a victim complex and wants her ego stroked.
Families get gaslit into believing much more tragic and incomprehensible revisions of history and inherently self-contradictory and dangerous ideologies than "your self worth is based on using your gift," which is common among youth athletes and performers.

In the Parks
No
Families get gaslit into believing much more tragic and incomprehensible revisions of history and inherently self-contradictory and dangerous ideologies than "your self worth is based on using your gift," which is common among youth athletes and performers.
Good message, but it wasn’t an engaging story. Almost as if they were focusing more on spreading the message than telling the best story.

TrainsOfDisney

Good message, but it wasn’t an engaging story. Almost as if they were focusing more on spreading the message than telling the best story.
I thought it was much more engaging than Moana and also much more fun with a better variety of characters.

But for this expansion - my concern is the Encanto attraction will be just a meet and greet or walk through. I hope it’s a full on attraction!

Last edited:

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

The model for Tropical Americas in this Imagineering video shows the Casita

As much as I HATE Tiana's, I feel like the Dinoland retheme is worse on a conceptual level because you're literally removing one of the key features of the park for more IP crap. Like I don't get it, what's the point of celebrating all kinds of animals if you're going to remove one of the most iconic from the park. What're they gonna do, replace the dinosaur on the sign with one of the donkeys from Encanto?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
As much as I HATE Tiana's, I feel like the Dinoland retheme is worse on a conceptual level because you're literally removing one of the key features of the park for more IP crap. Like I don't get it, what's the point of celebrating all kinds of animals if you're going to remove one of the most iconic from the park. What're they gonna do, replace the dinosaur on the sign with one of the donkeys from Encanto?
You keep posting like you don't read the threads you're posting to.

The Indy retheme is being made to 'fit' DAK's theme.

Insiders have said it will indeed have AAs and not be all screens. Just like TBA isn't being rethemed to be all screens and no AAs.

Disney lost the dinosaur fight with Uni. Two dinosaur movies failed to catch on with Disney guests/fans. Disney is moving on.

It's obvious that Countdown and DinoRama are not fan favorites and needed to be replaced. But more dinosaur themed attractions wasn't going to move the needle. So, the whole area is being rethemed, including DINOSAUR.

And for the past decade, Disney brass has consistently announced that it will be all IP all the time. Complain all you want. You don't have to like it. But let's stop pretending that this is somehow new and a surprise such that you can loudly ask rhetorically "WHAT'S WITH ALL THE IP??!!? We know you don't like it. Framing it as an "honest question" isn't that honest.

TheRealSkull

I don’t mind Indiana jones being in DAK, it’s not a natural fit to me but hey, neither is Avatar. What I do mind is yet another “replacement” vs. an expansion! Keep dinosaur and then also have an Indy coaster with a couple of show scenes next door!
I've always wondered why especially at Disney World we don't expand, but replace. It seems like we just chalk it up to fixing everything from the Eisner era. Man, so much has been reworked, in trying to make up for the past mistakes. Hollywood Studios has no opening day rides, Animal Kingdom is changing rapidly, DCA is nothing like it was when it opened, Disneyland Paris's second gate is getting reworked immensely, and EPCOT's Future World is no more. And it doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The Encanto ride should be a major capacity expansion over Countdown. A large carousel replacing Tri should also be nice.

As theme parks' rides get old, Disney has choices:
  1. do the repairs
  2. retheme and update
  3. demolish and replace
The reason why choices #2 and #3 are in the mix is because the cost of the repairs may be very extensive. And if they're going to spend that much... maybe make it something more popular or much better instead, or synergistically reinforce their brands. That was the calculus with TGMR.

While DINOSAUR was popular enough to always have a line (in a park with few rides), it's roughness, I would guess, would have greatly lowered its GSATs.

And as mentioned above, DinoRama had to go being so unpopular. And then there was the choice: double down on generic dinosaurs, or put in IP.

Disney is on record as to what they will chose every time.

Brer Panther

The Indy retheme is being made to 'fit' DAK's theme.
I'll believe it when I see it.

What about Encanto? Is THAT ride being made to 'fit' the park's theme? And no, Antonio does not automatically make the movie a good fit for Animal Kingdom.
Insiders have said it will indeed have AAs and not be all screens. Just like TBA isn't being rethemed to be all screens and no AAs.
Yeah, and according to those same insiders, the only reason why Tiana's Bayou Adventure is going to have AAs and not all be screens is because Disney saw that a lot of people were actually really upset about them retheming Splash Mountain and realized they had to put actual effort into the retheme. If Dinoland is really so unpopular, they don't have to put any effort into THIS.
Disney lost the dinosaur fight with Uni. Two dinosaur movies failed to catch on with Disney guests/fans. Disney is moving on.
They didn't even TRY to fight Universal. They did nothing with Dinoland after Finding Nemo: The Musical opened, made zero effort to improve the land, didn't even TRY to add better dinosaur-themed rides to the land. Eisner probably would've attempted it, but Iger hates all non-IP attractions because he's terrified of taking risks.

Disney owns Ice Age - a franchise about prehistoric animals that would work fine in Dinoland (and add some diversity regarding animal species to the park!). They did not create it, but they have shown that they're still willing to milk the franchise even after shutting down Blue Sky Studios in an attempt to kill Nimona. And if we're going to say The Good Dinosaur doesn't deserve anything in the parks because it was a flop, the most recent Indiana Jones movie was a flop too. And Disney also considered The Princess and the Frog a flop (it wasn't, but they considered it one), but THAT'S getting an attraction.
It's obvious that Countdown and DinoRama are not fan favorites and needed to be replaced.
Dino-Rama, maybe, but Dinosaur's always had a decent line when I've been there.
But more dinosaur themed attractions wasn't going to move the needle.
How do you KNOW that more dinosaur-themed attractions - GOOD ones, I mean, not like Primeval Whirl - won't move the needle? What makes you so sure that an Indiana Jones ride WILL move the needle? Again, the most recent Indiana Jones movie was a flop.
And for the past decade, Disney brass has consistently announced that it will be all IP all the time. Complain all you want. You don't have to like it.
Nobody's forcing you to defend it, either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom