News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

KDM31091

I’d love to see a boat ride again around the river. It is a shame that it is more or less wasted space other than the occasional character sightings.

Supposedly the new Indy attraction will have ties to AK, but we will see. It still feels unnecessary to me. Dinosaur is fine as is and still draws guests. The rest of Dinoland is what needs improvement.

gorillaball

Indeed. Let's just wait and see before declaring it a win based on a retheme to Indiana Jones. They might be doing an Imagination and shortening the ride path, or a Shanghai Pirates or Cosmic Rewind and doing it all via projections. And if it does not have some sort of animal as the fundamental story then it's automatically a downgrade from Dinosaur IMO.
Fair enough. We can maybe say IF it were only a direct copy of Cali's Indy then then would be considered by a large majority to be an upgrade... I believe that's what most are generalizing. Obviously the copy could be +'d or downgraded.

osian

Fair enough. We can maybe say IF it were only a direct copy of Cali's Indy then then would be considered by a large majority to be an upgrade... I believe that's what most are generalizing. Obviously the copy could be +'d or downgraded.
Once again, this isn't the point I was making.

However, to respond to your new point, I think we can also say that if it didn't change its theme and remained as Dinosaur, yet was refurbed to the standard we expect nowadays, it would still be considered an upgrade by the majority?

Vclguy90

Eh I'd say downgraded. Reason being is that Indy was a mechanical marvel when it opened. It's a far cry from that now as they mostly relied on digital effect vs practical so I think they would go the more digital route for maintenance and long-term cost reasons. If that's the case than it would be a downgrade.

Twirlnhurl

However, to respond to your new point, I think we can also say that if it didn't change its theme and remained as Dinosaur, yet was refurbed to the standard we expect nowadays, it would still be considered an upgrade by the majority?
Have you seen Dinosaur with the lights on? The rooms are all very small and would be exceptionally difficult to theme to dinosaurs in a way that would match the scale necessary to succeed for creatures that large. Most of the ride takes place in rooms approaching 50% ride clearance envelope. If memory serves, only the room immediately after the time jump has any depth (all to the riders right), and even there the ceiling is pretty low.

The only way I could see Dinosaur working in that building would be if the backgrounds of almost every scene were some sort of video wall with media that expanded the room and stretched and squashed to match the position of the vehicle. Otherwise, Dinosaur would have to be almost completely dark throughout, like it is today.

osian

Have you seen Dinosaur with the lights on?
Yes.

Have you ridden, or seen pictures or video, of the IJ ride in California or Tokyo? There are some cavernous, open spaces there, e.g. the bridge scene and the finale with the moving walls and rolling ball. You can often see other vehicles in the building.

If, as you say, the rooms and ride path are too narrow in Dinosaur, then they certainly won't be able to replicate the IJ scenes, as you say the new IJ retheme would have to be all projections and dark areas. Yes? But the darkness also helps to convey the feeling of being there at night during a meteor shower.

Or perhaps the internal walls can be reconfigured. Maybe. In which case the theme didn't have to be changed.

I don't think lack of space to represent dinosaurs is a major factor in the retheme, it's not something that was a limiting factor when they first built the ride.

Last edited:

Twirlnhurl

Yes.

Have you ridden, or seen pictures or video, of the IJ ride in California or Tokyo? There are some cavernous, open spaces there, e.g. the bridge scene and the finale with the moving walls and rolling ball. You can often see other vehicles in the building.

If, as you say, the rooms and ride path are too narrow in Dinosaur, then they certainly won't be able to replicate the IJ scenes, as you say the new IJ retheme would have to be all projections and dark areas. Yes? But the darkness also helps to convey the feeling of being there at night during a meteor shower.

Or perhaps the internal walls can be reconfigured. Maybe. In which case the theme didn't have to be changed.
The interior walls can be changed for sure.

Indiana Jones is themed to be inside a building, so the large open scenes with other jeeps in your field of view work.

For a Dinosaur themed ride, why would you be indoors? Full-sized ride vehicles deeper in the scene prohibit the use of forced perspective to make the scene feel larger. You could definitely achieve the large room feeling of Indiana Jones Adventure with Dinosaur, but you could not make Dinosaur feel large the way (for instance) Universe of Energy did.

SilentWindODoom

Dial of Destiny was spoiled by Phoebe Waller Bridge, a flavour of the month actress.

Can... you be a flavor of the month... for ten years?

Have you seen Dinosaur with the lights on? The rooms are all very small and would be exceptionally difficult to theme to dinosaurs in a way that would match the scale necessary to succeed for creatures that large. Most of the ride takes place in rooms approaching 50% ride clearance envelope. If memory serves, only the room immediately after the time jump has any depth (all to the riders right), and even there the ceiling is pretty low.

The only way I could see Dinosaur working in that building would be if the backgrounds of almost every scene were some sort of video wall with media that expanded the room and stretched and squashed to match the position of the vehicle. Otherwise, Dinosaur would have to be almost completely dark throughout, like it is today.

Yes.

I don't think lack of space to represent dinosaurs is a major factor in the retheme, it's not something that was a limiting factor when they first built the ride.

I imagine the building is the same and the added walls are thus not loadbearing.

The problem is the difference in story. Sallah is offering numerous people tours. One vehicle is helping Dr. Seeker sneak a dino. Thus larger spaces where other vehicles can be seen at the end of the time of dinosaurs would not make story sense.

One could get around that with time travel shenanigans where the vehicle jumps multiple times. I think that would be fun. But it would be super convoluted. There's also having one car come into the room while one is in the same space but lower and out of view and the back one behind foliage, but I don't know how feasible that is with track layout and it would just give a large open area with no dinosaurs since seeing the same dino in the same position would be weird. You'd have to have the lights on each turn on when the vehicle is close and then turn off, which is just adding moving parts to an already notoriously unreliable attraction.

TrainsOfDisney

That big central room in the Indiana Jones Adventure is due to a double height space that isn’t present in Dinosaur.
It would have been amazing if they had recreated that same room with the fire and fog and instead of the lasers replace that with lightning and falling meteor effects. Could have been so good! And obviously Dino’s instead of snakes.

peter11435

It would have been amazing if they had recreated that same room with the fire and fog and instead of the lasers replace that with lightning and falling meteor effects. Could have been so good! And obviously Dino’s instead of snakes.
IMG_6494.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom