News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

zipadee999

One thing to consider is that everything in Animal Kingdom happens today, in the present.

I'm not saying they wouldn't set Indy in the past and I appreciate the fictional character of Indy would be dead by 202X but I could see them being quite unspecific about a time period and not specifically making things retro like they do in DL.
The vibe of Indy is very retro so I think that they’d have to stick with that to make it authentic to the franchise, (vehicles will be 1930 models instead of 2023 models) but I agree that they probably wouldn’t have to lock it into a certain year or time period. At DL the ride is set as a direct prequel to raiders, but here it could be its own unique thing that is ambiguous to the timeline since it is likely to have a more unique story to fit with AK.

Godzilla7

I say leave Dinosaurs ride alone there's already a Indiana Jones in Disneyland and that's where it's needs to stay anyway I don't care about Indiana Jones anyway's. Instead of taking out dino land do some huge upgrades to it so we can still have are dinosaurs themed land because and I would like to see a ride from Huss park and Amusement company is Break Dance with dinosaurs themed on it.

Bleed0range

The vibe of Indy is very retro so I think that they’d have to stick with that to make it authentic to the franchise, (vehicles will be 1930 models instead of 2023 models) but I agree that they probably wouldn’t have to lock it into a certain year or time period. At DL the ride is set as a direct prequel to raiders, but here it could be its own unique thing that is ambiguous to the timeline since it is likely to have a more unique story to fit with AK.

Maybe it could be the first “old” Indy ride!

James Alucobond

It seems to me like they could easily open this in phases, redoing Dino into Indy relatively easily and the Encanto attraction opening later.
I kind of hope they'd do the reverse? Like, leave Restaurantosaurus and Dinosaur open while retheming Dinorama since its impact on capacity is currently minimal, then switch to finish the remainder once you have Encanto open.

MagicHappens1971

It seems to me like they could easily open this in phases, redoing Dino into Indy relatively easily and the Encanto attraction opening later.
It could be the other way around as well... loosing Triceratops Spin & the rest of the carnival games while they do Encanto and then bringing Dinosaur down would seem slightly more logical, however, I feel like they would just wall off that whole quarter of the park and do everything at once.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
That’s a really great idea. But the concept art doesn’t seem to suggest a queue like that.

… changing gears for a moment…

I was looking at the show buildings for both and they don’t look like the same. Are they actually the same exactly? Also, how come Dinosaurs roof looks so rough? IJ’s show building is nice and clean at Disneyland. Geez.
Dino show building with perimeter and area:
1694310483253.png

Indy show building with perimeter and area:
1694310604593.png

The ride layouts are identical, only queue space, maintenance bays, and other BOH are altered.

EricsBiscuit

I kind of hope they'd do the reverse? Like, leave Restaurantosaurus and Dinosaur open while retheming Dinorama since its impact on capacity is currently minimal, then switch to finish that side once you have Encanto open.
If their goal is to counter EU, a killer new E ticket like Indy would that could be ready by the end of 2025 is a good start.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
After spending the day to process the announcements, I'm so torn about Dinoland.

I don't believe Chester and Hester's had a future in DAK and nearly any replacement would have been welcomed on the vacant Primeval Whirl lot. Encanto might be a bit of a stretch for the grander themes of Animal Kingdom and we might not have Rhode there to ensure it fits as well as it could, but a dark ride through a living house with a non-Euclidian layout is a fantastic concept that would be appreciated if it is a genuine add to capacity and it means a genuine South/Central America based land is coming to Animal Kingdom with some live animal exhibits sprinkled in. This land also opens up a lot of other opportunities for attractions geographically related if they want to take over the Nemo plot; Up comes to mind for sure.

Despite this, I really liked the rest of Dinoland outside of the carnival. Restaurantosaurus, The Boneyard, and the gift shop all represent a sort of old Americana kitsch which felt really in tune with the rest of Animal Kingdom, and the backstory of the land is quite clever, albeit easy to miss. But Dinosaur (or Countdown to Extinction, the better name) has always been one of my favorite dark rides of all time. I understand why people prefer IJA over it and I'm more than willing to admit that from a technical perspective it far surpasses Dino. Indy has more detailed and expansive sets while Dino is mostly in the dark. However, I genuinely think I like Dinosaur more because I can tell the designers were going for such a dramatically different vibe than Indy. Dinosaur is intentionally darker and less detailed, it's scary, it's loud, it's disorienting, and it creates such a rare and visceral feeling for me I haven't felt in many Disney rides. It kind of reminds me of Alien Encounter in that way, although where AE was more directly supposed to be horror, Dinosaur balanced it out by having a very campy sense of humor (intentionally campy, I might add). And although there is an incredibly loose connection now to the 2000 film, for the most part this is an original attraction with an original, campy story that just screams its love for cheesy theme park scripts from the mountain tops.

Although this is still technically a blue sky proposal, I now see that the writing is definitively on the wall for Dinosaur's inevitable extinction. I will always cherish my fond memories of this attraction, and I must say that if any ride were to replace it, I'm honored Indy gets to take its place.

While Zootopia should have never touched Animal Kingdom, if the big wigs demand it must be in the park I'm glad the compromise was reached to replace It's Tough to be a Bug. That film definitely fit the themes of Animal Kingdom well but it was a bit of a sensory overload (yes I know that sounds hypocritical coming from a Dinosaur fan) without a fun payoff or conclusion, only left a sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully the new film will feature the biomes/natural habitats concept and keep the visual aesthetic of Zootopia and its anthropomorphic characters tucked away from the rest of the park.

It also sucks that this much investment is happening to Animal Kingdom, a park desperate for additional ride capacity, and the plans involve supposedly one new ride, retheming a dark ride, retheming/replacing a spinner, and retheming a 3D theatre show. And the Encanto plans weren't even confirmed to be the dark ride! That's still just a rumor! If all of this investment happens according to these plans, DAK's total ride count will increase from 8 (being generous and counting the train) to 9. Reminds me a bit of what happened at Hollywood Studios because that's the exact amount of rides that park has now too. Meanwhile the northern plot will remain empty for another decade.

With all that said, I am absolutely devastated to lose the prehistoric presence in the park. Dinosaurs have always felt like they were a part of Animal Kingdom's DNA and the park won't feel the same without them. I adore the idea some have floated around here of the new Indy ride involving the Carnotaurus due to its connection with Argentina, but I don't feel hopeful for it if Disney will want to make this retheme as cheap and easy as possible, likely a direct clone of IJA. My only hope is for a distant future where some new concept involving Dinosaurs is brought to fruition on one of the expansion pads. Until then, I'll cherish what time I have left with Dr. Seeker's antics. It's been a blast. :)

cjkeating

Not true anymore, Pandora is actually in the future.
Yes I suppose as the land is set in the Avatar future timeline we are in the future, however I don't think their is anything in the land that would clearly signpost this? Unless sci-fi = the future? We haven't even seen Earth in the film to know if it is our Earth or an alternative timeline?

I think their is a big differences between a vague future on another planet/moon versus a specific time period about 100 years on earth. Just look how the whole of Dinosaur sets up sending you back in time to see dinosaurs, they don't just happen to exist because when you walk into Dinoland you go back billions of years in time.

cjkeating

After spending the day to process the announcements, I'm so torn about Dinoland.

I don't believe Chester and Hester's had a future in DAK and nearly any replacement would have been welcomed on the vacant Primeval Whirl lot. Encanto might be a bit of a stretch for the grander themes of Animal Kingdom and we might not have Rhode there to ensure it fits as well as it could, but a dark ride through a living house with a non-Euclidian layout is a fantastic concept that would be appreciated if it is a genuine add to capacity and it means a genuine South/Central America based land is coming to Animal Kingdom with some live animal exhibits sprinkled in. This land also opens up a lot of other opportunities for attractions geographically related if they want to take over the Nemo plot; Up comes to mind for sure.

Despite this, I really liked the rest of Dinoland outside of the carnival. Restaurantosaurus, The Boneyard, and the gift shop all represent a sort of old Americana kitsch which felt really in tune with the rest of Animal Kingdom, and the backstory of the land is quite clever, albeit easy to miss. But Dinosaur (or Countdown to Extinction, the better name) has always been one of my favorite dark rides of all time. I understand why people prefer IJA over it and I'm more than willing to admit that from a technical perspective it far surpasses Dino. Indy has more detailed and expansive sets while Dino is mostly in the dark. However, I genuinely think I like Dinosaur more because I can tell the designers were going for such a dramatically different vibe than Indy. Dinosaur is intentionally darker and less detailed, it's scary, it's loud, it's disorienting, and it creates such a rare and visceral feeling for me I haven't felt in many Disney rides. It kind of reminds me of Alien Encounter in that way, although where AE was more directly supposed to be horror, Dinosaur balanced it out by having a very campy sense of humor (intentionally campy, I might add). And although there is an incredibly loose connection now to the 2000 film, for the most part this is an original attraction with an original, campy story that just screams its love for cheesy theme park scripts from the mountain tops.

Although this is still technically a blue sky proposal, I now see that the writing is definitively on the wall for Dinosaur's inevitable extinction. I will always cherish my fond memories of this attraction, and I must say that if any ride were to replace it, I'm honored Indy gets to take its place.

While Zootopia should have never touched Animal Kingdom, if the big wigs demand it must be in the park I'm glad the compromise was reached to replace It's Tough to be a Bug. That film definitely fit the themes of Animal Kingdom well but it was a bit of a sensory overload (yes I know that sounds hypocritical coming from a Dinosaur fan) without a fun payoff or conclusion, only left a sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully the new film will feature the biomes/natural habitats concept and keep the visual aesthetic of Zootopia and its anthropomorphic characters tucked away from the rest of the park.

It also sucks that this much investment is happening to Animal Kingdom, a park desperate for additional ride capacity, and the plans involve supposedly one new ride, retheming a dark ride, retheming/replacing a spinner, and retheming a 3D theatre show. And the Encanto plans weren't even confirmed to be the dark ride! That's still just a rumor! If all of this investment happens according to these plans, DAK's total ride count will increase from 8 (being generous and counting the train) to 9. Reminds me a bit of what happened at Hollywood Studios because that's the exact amount of rides that park has now too. Meanwhile the northern plot will remain empty for another decade.

With all that said, I am absolutely devastated to lose the prehistoric presence in the park. Dinosaurs have always felt like they were a part of Animal Kingdom's DNA and the park won't feel the same without them. I adore the idea some have floated around here of the new Indy ride involving the Carnotaurus due to its connection with Argentina, but I don't feel hopeful for it if Disney will want to make this retheme as cheap and easy as possible, likely a direct clone of IJA. My only hope is for a distant future where some new concept involving Dinosaurs is brought to fruition on one of the expansion pads. Until then, I'll cherish what time I have left with Dr. Seeker's antics. It's been a blast. :)
I have similar feelings to you. Only difference is I love It's Tough To Be a Bug. I know I am in the 0.01% but A Bug's Life is my favourite Pixar film, it just connected to me, I loved A Bug's Land in DCA so was sad to see that go and now the only remaining park presence of my favourite film... gone. And losing Dinosaur too. I feel mixed as I do much prefer these proposals to the Moana/Zootopia version but it does come at the expense of two of my favourite unique attractions it's hard to feel happy.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No

I think I completely agree with this, except...I don't see how everyone can be so sure that the Indy we're getting will be as good as DL's. They were built to be different attractions. Sure the show-buildings have the same perimeter, but think about how much will have to change. I think if Indy comes, we're getting a far inferior version that takes place in a jungle (hopefully with a few carnotaurus animatronics). Should have just fixed the masterpiece they already had.

Bleed0range

Would it actually be cheap to clone Indy? Seems like it’s going to be pretty expensive no matter what they do, so it could be slightly tweaked like Tokyo.

I think if they do clone it, the Tokyo version is more likely, simply because of its story of the Crystal skull fitting the South America theme better.

Bleed0range

Yes I suppose as the land is set in the Avatar future timeline we are in the future, however I don't think their is anything in the land that would clearly signpost this? Unless sci-fi = the future? We haven't even seen Earth in the film to know if it is our Earth or an alternative timeline?

I think their is a big differences between a vague future on another planet/moon versus a specific time period about 100 years on earth. Just look how the whole of Dinosaur sets up sending you back in time to see dinosaurs, they don't just happen to exist because when you walk into Dinoland you go back billions of years in time.

Encanto takes place in Colombia in the early to mid 20th century. So it could fit the timeline for Indy too. That whole area could be themed to somewhere between 1940-1950 ish.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
I have similar feelings to you. Only difference is I love It's Tough To Be a Bug. I know I am in the 0.01% but A Bug's Life is my favourite Pixar film, it just connected to me, I loved A Bug's Land in DCA so was sad to see that go and now the only remaining park presence of my favourite film... gone. And losing Dinosaur too. I feel mixed as I do much prefer these proposals to the Moana/Zootopia version but it does come at the expense of two of my favourite unique attractions it's hard to feel happy.
I can respect liking It's Tough to be a Bug! On paper there were a lot of great effects that I like, and Hopper is a great animatronic. I just don't think the whole package is for me. I really hope you get to experience it a couple more times before it goes away!

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
I think I completely agree with this, except...I don't see how everyone can be so sure that the Indy we're getting will be as good as DL's. They were built to be different attractions. Sure the show-buildings have the same perimeter, but think about how much will have to change. I think if Indy comes, we're getting a far inferior version that takes place in a jungle (hopefully with a few carnotaurus animatronics). Should have just fixed the masterpiece they already had.
I suppose you're right, a new Indy ride doesn't necessarily mean a clone of DL's. But just because it's not a clone doesn't mean it will be inferior. Hopefully an original idea for Indy at DAK would be adapted to fit the park's themes better and be thrilling or impressive in a way that is distinct from DL's.

999th Happy Haunt

Beautifully said. Dinosaurs ARE Animal Kingdom, the park will not be the same after.

doctornick

ITTBAB is IMHO easily the best 4D film/experience Disney has done. I get that some don’t like it - due to just not liking insects or because they are bothered by the effects involving the audience - but to me watching the audience reaction is always part of the fun. I don’t feel like it was a classic that should never be touched but I will miss it nonetheless.

Man, I realize this is a lot like Maelstrom to me in being something I really have loved that is going away to be replaced by something I surely won’t like as much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom