News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

TeriofTerror

Pretty funny that people who screech over the idea of Zootopia (a movie with animals in it) being put into Animal Kingdom are happy with Encanto (a movie NOT about animals) being wedged into Animal Kingdom. Whereas many other people might feel that the real reason Encanto is being shoved into that round hole is that the movie, while a box-office failure, had a song that got popular for some reason. And of course representation had to be shoved into WDW somewhere...:rolleyes:
The animals in Encanto are animals. The animals in Zootopia are humans pretending to be animals, poorly.

zipadee999

I wonder if they’ll update the old Sallah and Marion video before you ride
I’m actually glad dial of destiny bombed in this case so we can get an Indy ride that’s set during the peak of the original trilogy.

Maybe they can use footage that shows the young actors and then add new scenes in between and record new voiceovers to reflect a story that’s different from the DL version?

TeriofTerror

Oh good, replace the worst ride at WDW with the worst ride at DLR. I imagine they will replicate it without the issues that plague the DLR version, but the ride system/vehicle is the reason they are awful, not the sets.

Encanto & South/Central America over all the other junk? Absolutely a win.
I disagree with the first paragraph but cannot find fault with the second.

WaltsTreasureChest

I’m actually glad dial of destiny bombed in this case so we can get an Indy ride that’s set during the peak of the original trilogy.

Maybe they can use footage that shows the young actors and then add new scenes in between and record new voiceovers to reflect a story that’s different from the DL version?
Well there would be no reason the ride would be set in 1969. The only reason why we got a 69 setting was because of Harrison’s age, but I loved that they gave us a full fledged flashback into his early years to contrast it with his current age.
Indy is a 1930s/40s character first, and the whole movie is about the sharp contrast of a 1930s hero in a 1960s setting. So it would be weird to have this set it in a period where he’s not at his golden age prime.

haveyoumetmark

Yeah, for all the emphasis on inclusion, it’s really odd that World Showcase is heavily skewed towards European countries while a fictional African village is pushed into DAK with, soon, a Latin American presence. But
It’s almost as if that’s why there’s an empha—
…. nevermind.

Well there would be no reason the ride would be set in 1969. The only reason why we got a 69 setting was because of Harrison’s age, but I loved that they gave us a full fledged flashback into his early years to contrast it with his current age.
Indy is a 1930s/40s character first, and the whole movie is about the sharp contrast of a 1930s hero in a 1960s setting. So it would be weird to have this set it in a period where he’s not at his golden age prime.
Nailed it. I’m glad it was made, flop or not the Indy movies are doing incredibly well on Disney+ as said by Iger, so ignoring the whole franchise would be a mistake. The new film only reminded Disney that they own the Indy franchise, so I welcome that for the parks

James Alucobond

The setting for Encanto is probably closest temporally to Crystal Skull if they want consistency of that sort, but that’s probably of little concern.

scottieRoss

Well, this makes this logo much more extinct with myth and dinos being removed..
831800b34e1e71a7a3e4e0433a999806.png
Right, since the biggest animatronic is a disco-dancing Yeti? If he is not mythical, I do not know what is.

DAK1928

Mickeyviews is reporting that Coco is now included in the DAK expansion, in what would potentially stretch from Restaurantosaurus to a Coco-themed Carousel... Alebrije themed?

Last edited:

hopemax

My thoughts...

1a. Thankfully someone has come to their senses that an IP mandate, does not mean that it has to be approached poorly. Starting with South America is a million times more palatable than starting with Movie-land. I also wonder if their recent IP slapped down with poorly conceived integration into a place with a previous ethos was not the "smart money" that they thought it would be. The same problem with some of the early 2000 additions (DCA's mindset) when they were trying to appeal to a different type of fan, but they didn't acquire enough new fans and in the process earned the wrath of existing ones.

1b. You can tell how badly Disney has messed up previous IP usage that it feels like so many people are fearing more book report attractions, instead of envisioning the characters and settings as real places that are larger and more diverse than we saw in the 2 hours we got to see in their original movie. Characters as ambassadors and teachers instead of retelling the parts of their stories we already know.

2a. While Indiana Jones being placed in the attraction that has the same track layout as the previous Indy attractions in Disneyland and DisneySea, screams the easy option, I'm not sure if previous posters have taken it far enough. Disneyland's Indy was notorious about the lack of a proper refurbishment until they managed something longer this year. I would not be surprised if they discovered areas that need more attention, and some of the original effects never worked right in the first place. The opportunity to retheme the AK building may also allow the development of new scenes that could be installed in both Disneyland and TDS, or even just refabricating and replacing existing mechanicals to refresh those attractions in an also economical fashion. If fabricating 2 show elements is better than one, then 3 elements could also be better than 2 in terms of ROI.

2b. Indy representation in South America at Animal Kingdom, seems like an immediate domino effect of opening up the current Indy representation at DHS. As is pointed out, while the franchise, especially the older movies, is iconic, the new movie didn't move the needle as much as Disney might have liked. They don't need Indy in two parks as if they might replicate a more popular franchise. But it probably sells enough Raiders merch, and the ride satisfaction for DLR's attraction is high enough that some representation is still a net positive. So what is on the table for Echo Lake?

SCOTLORR

BlogMickey is reporting that Coco is now included in the DAK expansion, in what would potentially stretch from Restaurantosaurus to a Coco-themed Carousel... Alebrije themed?

for reference, here's his graphic:
View attachment 741984
Blog Mickey didn't report this, Brayden on the Mickey Views Youtube Channel did. Here's the video, he starts discussing the DAK news at 2:37:

Edit: Brayden never even mentions Coco going in this area. Not sure why he included it in the thumbnail of the video...

Last edited:

DAK1928

That's three IP's in a very small area.

Disney seem to have been very open on the plans, but made no mention of Coco. I'm skeptical.
My interpretation is a Mexican retheme of Restaurantosaurus with an Alebrije flat ride taking over for Triceratops spin

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom