News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

SpectreJordan

As I said last year:
I think Avatar is Beastly Kingdom. It's a land based on fictional beasts from what's essentially a modern day myth.

I'm sure whatever '90s Imagineering wanted to do for Beastly Kingdom would've been awesome (Hell, it seems like it just ended up in IOA anyway). But I feel Pandora fits Animal Kingdom better anyway; the lush environments fit better with Africa & Asia than medieval Europe.

Now I definitely think no extinct animals is a mistake. I really wish they were adding this South America land to an expansion pad & were redoing a Dinosaur area without the cheesy roadside theming.

>dial of destiny is saved from being one of the biggest bombs of all time by The Flash existing
>gets a whole land
?????
Dial bombed because of various circumstances that are Disney's own fault.

Indiana Jones has historically been one of the most successful movie series there is. They've always been some of the highest grossing movies of their release years, if not the highest grossing; even Crystal Skull was #2 in 2008, only behind The Dark Knight.

There's still potential in the series if Disney & Lucasfilm learn from their lessons. They clearly need new leadership before they try again though.

Also, this would just be one ride. Not a land.

flyerjab

Whatever they end up announcing it better be good. I am seeing this as the location for D23 next year. Hopefully Josh puts his big boy pants down and shows some actual commitment. You can’t keep talking big ideas in overdrive and then get cold feet come commitment time.
IMG_3302.jpeg

DAK1928

Whatever they end up announcing it better be good. I am seeing this as the location for D23 next year. Hopefully Josh puts his big boy pants down and shows some actual commitment. You can’t keep talking big ideas in overdrive and then get cold feet come commitment time.View attachment 742113

Moreso, if we don't get an announcement until August 2024, I hope whatever is announced is already well into construction (much like Universal's preferred method)

Jrb1979

Whatever they end up announcing it better be good. I am seeing this as the location for D23 next year. Hopefully Josh puts his big boy pants down and shows some actual commitment. You can’t keep talking big ideas in overdrive and then get cold feet come commitment time.View attachment 742113
You better hope D+ and the Studios turn around quickly and start making money than. Otherwise it will be more of the same. It's quite obvious they don't have the money to do large investments.

Eric M Blake

I've half joked they could make the Indy ride INDIANA JONES & THE LAND OF THE DINOSAURS....

As in, Indy's search for an Amazonian artifact ends up with him realizing he's in Pellucidar, perhaps....

Cmdr_Crimson

You better hope D+ and the Studios turn around quickly and start making money than. Otherwise it will be more of the same. It's quite obvious they don't have the money to do large investments.
Then they should put on movies and shows that people enjoyed..I for one want them to remove that Nat Geo, ESPN or ABC News documentary crap..

Dinoman96

I think Avatar is Beastly Kingdom. It's a land based on fictional beasts from what's essentially a modern day myth.

I'm sure whatever '90s Imagineering wanted to do for Beastly Kingdom would've been awesome (Hell, it seems like it just ended up in IOA anyway). But I feel Pandora fits Animal Kingdom better anyway; the lush environments fit better with Africa & Asia than medieval Europe.
Meh. I guess, but I think I'll let Roller Coaster Philosophy say it for me:

Alas, after more than a decade of service Camp Minnie-Mickey is not long for this world, soon to be replaced by the recently announced Avatar Land. While it’s nice that this land is finally being used to fulfill its potential, I do have to question if it’s a better fit for Animal Kingdom than the Beastly Kingdom would have been. Yes, thematically Avatar and Animal Kingdom share many of the same messages and I suppose Avatar is better here than at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. But it doesn’t feel like an ideal subject for Animal Kingdom’s long-missing third act that explores the kingdom of fantasy creatures. The concept of Beastly Kingdom was much more democratic, rooted in popular mythologies that have been shared by many peoples across history. Avatar, on the other hand, is a story world created by one man with a rather didactic message intended specifically for modern western audiences. As I’m sure we’ll be reminded by the many © and ® symbols scattered throughout this new land, Avatar distinctly “belongs” to a corporation instead of the popular imagination, and I’m not sure if that’s a right fit to complete the story arc for a park that otherwise is about communally sharing of worlds both natural and cultural.
The funny thing is in that regard, I'd say Expedition Everest worked more as a successor to the concept of Beastly Kingdom, even if it's not a dedicated land.

In fact a while back over on Inside Universal here, I saw some insiders talk about how there were actual several pitches made to get Beastly Kingdom off the ground in the mid to late 2000s, then it sorta evolved into the idea of spreading mythical creatures into their respective countries, which is where we got Everest over in Asia. I guess that probably could explain why they kept the BK references in AK over the years...but then everything changed when the IP Nation attacked.

It's a shame, because in a post EE world I always dug the idea of doing a Europe themed area with a big dragon roller coaster in the background as a way to revitalize the old BK concept. But you know...IP.

edit: looking at it again, apparently BK was pitched even after EE was made, huh...

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Meh. I guess, but I think I'll let Roller Coaster Philosophy say it for me:

The funny thing is in that regard, I'd say Expedition Everest worked more as a successor to the concept of Beastly Kingdom, even if it's not a dedicated land.

In fact a while back over on Inside Universal here, I saw some insiders talk about how there were actual several pitches made to get Beastly Kingdom off the ground in the mid to late 2000s, then it sorta evolved into the idea of spreading mythical creatures into their respective countries, which is where we got Everest over in Asia. I guess that probably could explain why they kept the BK references in AK over the years...but then everything changed when the IP Nation attacked.

It's a shame, because in a post EE world I always dug the idea of doing a Europe themed area with a big dragon roller coaster in the background as a way to revitalize the old BK concept. But you know...IP.

edit: looking at it again, apparently BK was pitched even after EE was made, huh...
I think China would be a more natural fit aesthetically for a Beastly Kingdom IMO. You'd lose out on Unicorns, but you'd still have dragons & you can introduce Eastern mythical animals to the west.

But that's sad it was being pitched that recently & still being denied.

cookiee_munster

I don't hate this...

I was actually pretty on board for the Moana/Oceana replacement of the DinoRama area, I just hated the idea of Zootopia mini land replacing Dinosaur. This is a nice compromise, even though they still managed to shoehorn *Zootopia elsewhere in the park... :rolleyes:
*For the record, I actually like Zootopia and the Shanghai attraction looks amazing. As a franchise it just doesn't belong in Animal Kingdom

EDIT - Also, i'm intrigued now as to whether Indy at the studio's will be going after the attraction opens in Animal Kingdom?

Suspirian

I don't hate this...

I was actually pretty on board for the Moana/Oceana replacement of the DinoRama area, I just hated the idea of Zootopia mini land replacing Dinosaur. This is a nice compromise, even though they still managed to shoehorn *Zootopia elsewhere in the park... :rolleyes:
*For the record, I actually like Zootopia and the Shanghai attraction looks amazing. As a franchise it just doesn't belong in Animal Kingdom

EDIT - Also, i'm intrigued now as to whether Indy at the studio's will be going after the attraction opens in Animal Kingdom?
My hot take is that Moana fits DAK better than both of the IPs that are currently on the table.

NotCalledBob

My hot take is that Moana fits DAK better than both of the IPs that are currently on the table.

I'd put Moana in ITTBAB instead of Zootopia any day of the week. And I liked the Moana log flume idea.

But, I also prefer Encanto as part of a wider land in DAK, than as it's own standalone land in MK.

They are going to shove in IPs and I guess we just have to be happy to have them put in where they will cause least harm to the parks.

I don't dislike Zootopia, but it shouldn't go anywhere near DAK.

Dan Deesnee

Encanto coming to AK is a win. It sounds like it will be, hopefully, animals first with a big focus on central American animals. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Mike S

I'd put Moana in ITTBAB instead of Zootopia any day of the week. And I liked the Moana log flume idea.

But, I also prefer Encanto as part of a wider land in DAK, than as it's own standalone land in MK.

They are going to shove in IPs and I guess we just have to be happy to have them put in where they will cause least harm to the parks.

I don't dislike Zootopia, but it shouldn't go anywhere near DAK.
If Moana went anywhere in DAK a new show replacing Nemo wouldn’t have been a bad idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom