EMH wristbands to be discontinued September 7th

ToTBellHop

so how is this new system working? There were all these complaints before it actually happened and then we heard nothing--not as bad as everyone made it out to be?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
so how is this new system working? There were all these complaints before it actually happened and then we heard nothing--not as bad as everyone made it out to be?
Depends on your perception of working. Lines do not seem to be any longer but that is more than likely due to the CM's not really checking the dates of room keys. It is only a matter of time before this gets out to the general public and you start having locals using 6 moth old KTTW cards to attend EMH nights.

brkgnews

After having done it for two nights in a row, I personally am not a fan. It's a tremendous pain in the neck to have to dig out my room key every time I want to go into an attraction. I know I am personally holding up the line in the process because I forget until I'm already at the entrance. With a wristband it's no issue... but with the keycards, there's nothing to do but block the entrance until I can fish around my pockets and separate the room key from the DVC card, the AP, debit card, credit card, drivers license, and a ton of receipts.

devoy1701

After having done it for two nights in a row, I personally am not a fan. It's a tremendous pain in the neck to have to dig out my room key every time I want to go into an attraction. I know I am personally holding up the line in the process because I forget until I'm already at the entrance. With a wristband it's no issue... but with the keycards, there's nothing to do but block the entrance until I can fish around my pockets and separate the room key from the DVC card, the AP, debit card, credit card, drivers license, and a ton of receipts.

keep it in a seperate pocket...

or get a lanyard.

It takes NO extra time than having a wrist band on if you are smart about it. If you put it in a lanyard there's no hunting around for it anyway...

btw, sounds like you need to invest in a wallet. :shrug:

DisneyJoe

I can fish around my pockets and separate the room key from the DVC card, the AP, debit card, credit card, drivers license, and a ton of receipts.
btw, sounds like you need to invest in a wallet.

When I go to WDW, I take these items in my pocket instead of my wallet, my wallet stays at home:

- drivers license
- 1 credit card
- 1 health insurance ID card
- resort ID
- some cash
- I keep receipts in a separate pocket

Wallets get stolen a lot faster than a few cards in your pocket - even at WDW. A rubber band helps keep the cards together...I'll be wearing a lanyard for my resort ID if I ever do evening EMH - or keeping it out of the rubber band, separate from the others.

devoy1701

When I go to WDW, I take these items in my pocket instead of my wallet, my wallet stays at home:

- drivers license
- 1 credit card
- 1 health insurance ID card
- resort ID
- some cash
- I keep receipts in a separate pocket

Wallets get stolen a lot faster than a few cards in your pocket - even at WDW. A rubber band helps keep the cards together...I'll be wearing a lanyard for my resort ID if I ever do evening EMH - or keeping it out of the rubber band, separate from the others.

in my defense...I usually empty my wallet into my inroom safe of any credit cards/misc items I don't need. I go to the parks with a "barebones wallet" if you will.

but you're right...for EMH now, I will be keeping my room key seperate from the rest of my stuff. The one credit card I bring (none if I'm staying on property), my license, and some cash will be in my wallet, but my KTTW card will be in my front pocket or on my lanyard ready for action!

Pete C

It is a good idea to keep hotel keys in a separate pocket from other cards and away from your cell phone anyway. Hotel keys demagnetize so easily. If you keep it in a separate pocket it will not demagnetize and it will be easy to find when you need it.

brkgnews

or get a lanyard.

It takes NO extra time than having a wrist band on if you are smart about it. If you put it in a lanyard there's no hunting around for it anyway...

Of course! A wallet! How could I be so stupid!

:rolleyes:

I'm not going to hang my room key on a lanyard... too easy to lose it that way. And with charging privilieges on it, no thanks. I do have everything in a wallet... but keeping in mind that when I'm on vacation there are multiple cards that I never use otherwise (key card, DVC card, AP, etc), there's just more stuff in there than usual. The reason it all stays in one pocket is that one pocket is the only one with a zipper on it, to keep the stuff from flying out during rides and in the crush of humanity.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender

or get a lanyard.

I believe a Jonas Brothers pack suits him more... :lookaroun

nibblesandbits

So, I've experienced it as well, and I don't really like it either.

Sure, I put it in my back pocket to keep it in a place where it would be handy, but I was constantly worried about loosing it there. Also, I did notice lines forming while they were checking IDs. Not too long of lines, but long enough.

The one thing I noticed is that most people were checking dates, or at least pretending to look at the card for a date. It was rare when I hit a CM that wasn't. And I went to EEMH at least twice.

However, even after experiencing it, I'm still not a big fan of the new change. Disney gave out cheaper feeling wristbands for MNSSHP, why couldn't they do that for the EEMH?

AEfx

It sounds really annoying. I try to put important cards and such away when I do rides so I don't lose them - I can't imagine what someone with a big family would have to go through.

However, the old system was so highly exploitable. So is the wristbands for the parties.

They only have so many colors of wrist bands. One could easily amass a small collection of them - I have them, I save them all for scrapbooking. I could very easily use a piece of clear tape to reform them on my hands.

Last year at the MNSSHP's, I was at WDW over a two-week period and I went to several parties. I left one on my wrist for fun (it was orange and halloween-y) and the next week when I came back they were using the same color. I could have totally entered the park with my AP before the event and then just stayed for the party without paying.

Of course, the "average" guest probably wouldn't amass much of a collection, but they didn't have very many colors and it was so highly exploitable. It's just too bad there wasn't a better solution than this - maybe implants under the skin for the duration of your stay? ;)

AEfx

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I experienced my first wristband-less EMHs last weekend. What a nightmare. No one is prepared to show their KTTW cards and it holds up the line majorly. I personally hated having to dig around for my card too.

CMs also seemed very confused about what it was they were looking for and most couldn't read the cards in the dark. If Disney is going to insist on using this stupid method, at least give the poor CMs outside a flashlight! :brick:

barkatozz

I guess I've been prepared for this for a year now. Last year I wore my KTTW card on a lanyard around my neck for my entire stay because of the many times I pulled it out the year before getting in my room, entering parks, etc. Plus, it was recommended not putting it with other credit cards. I hardly noticed it was there....and I didn't have to worry about losing it.

Dwarful

My husband doesn't mind wearing a lanyard but I can't stand anything around my neck...not even jewelry. So for us this will be a bit of a nightmare..as we usually split up part of the time so he can take our older daughter on the more thrilling rides and I take our younger daughter to the rides she loves. I imagine lots of lost cards.

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
I can not wear anything around my neck for that period of time. I causes me get terrible headaches. So a lanyard is out of the question. I kept mine in a separate pocket along with my sons who is 3. It is annoying enough to have to dig out the room key each time but try carrying a 3 year old and then have to dig out both key cards. It's a real P.I.A. The wrist bands were so much easier.

mousefan1972

For those of you who don't like to/can't wear lanyards, I would recommend buying one of these.

I got one when we were at WDW in September because I wanted to keep our AP's/room tickets dry when it rained. The pouch can easily hold several room keys. There are clips to fasten it to your belt buckle, backpack, etc. The easiest way to use it for EMH nights would be for each member of your party to have their own, so you can just hold it up for the CM to see as you enter the attraction. A pain, yes, but easier than taking 4 keys in/out of your pockets each time.... :shrug: The cost was $4.95.

LoriSue

I feel like the CM's that diligently checked wrist bands will diligently check Cards, however, My frustration is this. I find it extremely annoying to wait in a 10 minute line only to find that the people in front of me, who have ALSO waited in said line knowing full well that they will require their cards at the end of the line WAIT until they get to the front of the line to go digging through backpacks, camera bags, etc.. to find the card. I know this sounds uptight and my husband tells me to relax. I'm not perfect but if that's me at the front of the line and I have forgotten, I at least have the courtesy to tell the party behind me to go ahead because I see no reason to make everyone wait because I wasn't ready. :brick:

CAPTAIN HOOK

My frustration is this. I find it extremely annoying to wait in a 10 minute line only to find that the people in front of me, who have ALSO waited in said line knowing full well that they will require their cards at the end of the line WAIT until they get to the front of the line to go digging through backpacks, camera bags, etc.. to find the card.

Its the same at the supermarket - the person in front of me ALWAYS waits until their goods have been scanned before they try and find their money :mad:

hardcard

making/presenting a fake key card would be pretty simple... especially if you put it in a lanyard/case.. you'd never get caught...

I wouldn't do it, however..... I don't think it's worth it to risk losing my PAP over.

Basically, my theory is that this change will screw up EMH so much that Disney will do away with it and return to a pay-for-play model .. Like the older e-Ride nights.. which were MUCH nicer!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom