Email addresses compromised through Disney Destinations!

NewfieFan

Original Poster
Too freakin bad your toilet didn't back up onto your shoes. There was no reason for you to get nasty. Speak up! I can't hear you after I blocked you!

I'm sure there was a nicer way for he (or she) to have put it but you didn't exactlly respond the best either!

This certainly is not a good thing but it's "only" our email addresses. Your computer did not crash due to your email being compromised by another company. However, if you opened an email and/or followed a link in a questionable email, then yes, that could cause your computer to crash!

A lot of people have mentioned that they're worried about their bank info, personal info, vacation info, etc. but I don't think there's any reason to concern yourself. This Epsilon company is an email service company, they basically send all those emails for big companies (like Disney) to their customers. I believe Disney when they say it was only our email address that was compromised!

smk

I'm sure there was a nicer way for he (or she) to have put it but you didn't exactlly respond the best either!

This certainly is not a good thing but it's "only" our email addresses. Your computer did not crash due to your email being compromised by another company. However, if you opened an email and/or followed a link in a questionable email, then yes, that could cause your computer to crash!

A lot of people have mentioned that they're worried about their bank info, personal info, vacation info, etc. but I don't think there's any reason to concern yourself. This Epsilon company is an email service company, they basically send all those emails for big companies (like Disney) to their customers. I believe Disney when they say it was only our email address that was compromised!
I does make me wonder why my computer crashed right after I contacted Disney and made a payment on my trip. I can't help but to think it was the cause. I never opened an email that I shouldn't, nor did I click on a link...etc...I may have been born at night but it was not last night. I have had my bank account hacked a few years ago, not thru email, but due to my bank being compromised, so I have a special fear of the word "compromised". I don't think my response was out of line, I was and will stand up for myself. I stated I was upset, I did not deserve the toilet comment at all. I think, if you were insulted you would stand up for yourself too. Good luck to everyone that is involved. If it ends up with just more "spam" I will be surprised, but glad no one has to deal with indentity theft and loss of money.

NewfieFan

Original Poster
I does make me wonder why my computer crashed right after I contacted Disney and made a payment on my trip. I can't help but to think it was the cause. I never opened an email that I shouldn't, nor did I click on a link...etc...I may have been born at night but it was not last night. I have had my bank account hacked a few years ago, not thru email, but due to my bank being compromised, so I have a special fear of the word "compromised". I don't think my response was out of line, I was and will stand up for myself. I stated I was upset, I did not deserve the toilet comment at all. I think, if you were insulted you would stand up for yourself too. Good luck to everyone that is involved. If it ends up with just more "spam" I will be surprised, but glad no one has to deal with indentity theft and loss of money.

Oh, don't get me wrong... stand up for yourself! I still think it was a weird coincidence that your computer crashed at the same time you made a payment. If this problem was doing something to our computers without us opening up affected email or links I think we would have heard something about it by now. This company obviously deals with a lot of big companies and a lot customers!!! The "compromise" concerns me too and I once did have a credit card number that was stolen (as a result of an information leak) and fradulant changes.

lazyboy97o

I really do not get what so many people are freaking out over. The biggest concern is that the hackers will send you an email meant to look official and hope you give them information. It is why when setting up accounts and asking for your email address all of these companies try to make it plain and clear that they will never ask for personal information via email.

Patrick_Ears

I don't generally condone the lawsuit madness that we engage in here, but in this case I think its justified. Any company that collects personal data regarding the public should be held responsible for keeping it secure. I never gave my e-mail address or name to Epsilon, yet I have to pay the price for their lack of adequate security. Yes, I realize I probably agreed to give it to them somewhere in fine print as an "affiliated company" or vendor of the people I do business with, but they have a responsiblity to keep it secure none the less. If they operate for a profit using my personal information, they should be held liable when it causes injury (however minor) to me.

I agree with you 100% :animwink: Yes this company should haved done alot better job of securing thousands of e-mails to get out.

stratman50th

We got the same thing from the College Board this morning (my son is currently taking SAT's and planning for college). Apparently they must all use an e-mail service called EPSILON, which was their vendor with the security breach.
I just got signed into that too. I've already got my notice from Disney, I guess the College Boards will be coming soon.

lebeau

I got the e-mail too. So far no ill side effects. (Fingers crossed!)

So Disney, can you at least hook me up with a PIN code or something?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I got the email...then Windows update failed during the night.

Woke up to the BSOD...total reload of Windows and all drivers and programs was required as Windows would not boot even in "safe mode".

Coincidence ???

I blame Epsilon. :lookaroun :D

mickeysshoes

Have not read all the above post...but have now gotten the same e-mail from alot of the vendors I use and pay my bills on line with...Sears, Disney, Citi Corp...and I have also gotten them at work. What a mess this has created.

ArielLover

Yup - me too. Everyone? Keep an eye on the CC you use with WDW - ignore that part about "just email". Secondly - I would treat ANY email that APPEARS to be from Disney with suspicion - check the email headers.

Their marketing company should not have your CC info.

Disney61

No room for spam in my in basket...It's already full with all the notification letters from the companies Epsilon represented!!!:ROFLOL:

fosse76

I got the email...then Windows update failed during the night.

Woke up to the BSOD...total reload of Windows and all drivers and programs was required as Windows would not boot even in "safe mode".

Coincidence ???

Yes (I know you were being facetious). Any emails Disney (or any other of the affected companies) legitimately sends you are perfectly safe. Corresponding with Disney through email isn't going to do anything to your computer. The concerns are now that unknown parties have your email address, you can unwittingly open an email containing a virus. That's it. It has nothing to do with any other personal information.

AEfx

No room for spam in my in basket...It's already full with all the notification letters from the companies Epsilon represented!!!:ROFLOL:

LOL, same here. I've gotten four so far. :)

I couldn't care less, the email they all have gets tons of spam anyway, and my filter neatly keeps it out. It didn't affect me in the least - they have probably caused more stir with these compliance emails than anything else.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Yes Ive had another warning message, what Im finding surprising is how wide this thing has spread, and Im also jealous of their client base. Still all these companies may be looking for a new service provider.

As for the CC details, you'd be surprised what can accidentally be sent in data files.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom