Eisner at Epcot on NYE

General Grizz

I'm not sure about Eisner's intentions with Celebration. If I can recall correctly, Walt Disney World had to have a city based on contract in order to keep its exclusive Reedy Creek emergency facilities.

I don't know whether Eisner built Celebration in honor of Walt or based on this rule - but based on his near anti-Walt standards, and the cheap quality of many of the homes in Celebration, I think it was to save the Disney property. What CEO wouldn't do this?

Walt's death was a major blow to the company. And Eisner DID turn it around!! That is fact, we have celebrated it, and he HAS done good. But a great deal of the Disney company - Animation, Imagineering (both of which are given so many budget cuts!), even the survivors of Walt's Nine Old Men are - along with a giant portion of the 'Disney public' are clearly on Roy's side - the side that supports the expansion of quality that we love Disney for.

General Grizz

Originally posted by Tahu
Then you're gonna love my script for that WDW game I've been working on in the Imagineer board.

*sniff* OSCAR! :p

"Michael has perpetuated the myth that he is irreplaceable. That is absurd." - - Roy E. Disney

MartyMouse

First to address the Reedy Creek issue the residents on Disney property already exceeded the amount needed to keep its township status. Celebration was built to be what it is a town that tries to explore new ways to grow and still keep a small town feel, in fact Disney had to purchase more property to build it. No Celebration wasn’t the realization of Walt’s dream but is closer than EPCOT was.

Walt would not have wanted the Disney Company to exists solely to honor him, it was his intent to have it grow well beyond him. I believe Walt once said, “I’m not Walt Disney, I’m just a man.” or something to that effect. The philosophy of “What would Walt do?” simply didn’t work at Disney after his death, so Roy called Fess Parker and got Eisner hired, to give the company new direction, just as Walt would have wanted.

To be frank people attacked Eisner for years over Euro-Disney/Disneyland Paris, but nowhere (outside of Disneyland) will you find a more Disney place. Mike spent every dollar needed to make that place great just as Walt would have. I don’t know if you have been or not but it is so rich in detail and Disney lore you would think Walt built it himself.
But what happened??
The park didn’t turn a quick profit and the company came down on Mike hard they tore into him because he did something that didn’t make a fast buck, even though he believed in the project fully. So he was forced to restructure the management and ownership of the park a very un-Disney thing to do – oh where was Roy then?????

jrriddle

I agree with what you said about DLP, Marty.
That park is spectacular, and it' "failure" seems to have been a real turning point for Eisner (plus the death of Wells and his own health).
Things never really seemed the same (for the parks) after that.
I sometimes wonder what DAK and DCA would have been like if DLP would have been a success.

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by MartyMouse
Look at Walt’s plans for Disney World (the E.P.C.O.T. project) the company years ago traded vision for the bottom line.

Oh realy? The company spended BILLIONS of dollars to make that project be as true to Walt's dream as possible!!! It was far from being about the bottom line!!! DCA is about the bottom line!!!

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by niteobsrvr
That being said, society is different today and the company is different to reflect that. Everything happening anywhere in this country is backed by one marketing study or another. If Disney were still doing business like they did 30 years ago the company wouldn't exist. If you don't believe that then go back to the days when Eisner managed to fend off the purchase and dismantling of the company.

THANK YOU!!! Thats the exact point I was trying to get accross in my earlier post in this thread... :wave:

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
I think we're all assuming a lot when we say "Walt would have....". I'm even guilty of that myself. The fact is, none of us really know what Walt would have done in any of these situations. What we do know is where the company is at right now. And after having read all your posts, Roy's letter of resignation, Stans letter of resignation, and Michaels' letter to the castmembers, one thing is clear to me. Michael Eisner is all about the dollar. Now, I know, a lot of you out there are saying, "It's a business!!!" Again, we're all very aware of that fact. But what a lot of us are saying here is that the vision and leadership that a lot us beleive is needed, doesn't appear to be there. It seems to me that Eisner has "lost the team". Now it's highly debatable as to who deserves credit/criticism for everything to date. And I hear some out there saying, give him time to fix it. Exactly how long has he been in charge? Since 84 right? That's coming up on 20 years. If you haven't figured it out by now, you're not going to Mr. Eisner. And my understanding was that when he was brought on board, he was heralded as a financial genius.

I would ask some simple questions here: (that is if it's TRULY about the bottome line!!!)

(1) How much is he being paid now? And how much has he made over the length of his contract?

(2) How much has "he" spent on overpriced hotels, failing parks around the world, and movie sequels that went straight to vhs/dvd?

(3) How much budget cutting has been done, versus adding to wait staff, castmembers, park improvements? (asking for them to divulge real numbers on this one. not looking for commentary on what people "think" has been spent. )

(4) And what is the vision of the company for the future? When I read the latest letter to cms from Michael I hear a lot of numbers. Granted, he's supposed to be a numbers guy. And no, I don't expect him to BE Walt Disney. No one could be!! HE was a genius. His dreams clearly outweighed his wallet sometimes. But he was decades ahead of everyone else in his plans. I believe history bears that fact out. And I just don't see this kind of vision from Michael Eisner. What I see is a man who trys to buy the company out of hard times. Opening new parks, adding parks to existing Theme parks. Churning out bad sequels to bump the bottom line.

I have worked in retail for nearly 14 years now. If I wanted to, I could push crap on people and convince them it was a good buy for them. But I don't because for one, I want them to respect and trust my judgement. And to know that I want their repeat business. In other words, I care about more than the bottom line. If I create an environment with my customers that says, I want you to be happy with your selection, and that I care about your needs, they will be back, time and time again. On the other hand, if all I cared about was selling for the sake of selling, they will get that picture very quickly, and won't return. And they'll tell all their friends about that experience.

What we're all talking about here isn't easy to achieve, but it's very possible. It all depends on the vision of those in positions of leadership as to what direction the ship gets steered in. After 20 years of whatever direction the company has been going in, do we all really want Eisner at the helm for the future?

raven

Ok, let's think about the employees and CMs of all of the Disney companies. We have experienced the wrath of Eisner first-hand. What he is doing to the company is far beyond what the general public even knows about. If people weren't so upset with what he's doing, the website and all of the hype wouldn't be around.

The guy has GOT to go! So many CM's and public hate him that it's no wondered that there wasn't an assassination attempt at the EPCOT NYE party last night.

Walt had a dream. It was HIS dream and it was, and still is, HIS company. NO ONE should change his dream. And when someone posted saying that Walt screwed up in the beginning? How? It's his dream. How can you screw up your own dream? Sorry, doesn't make sense. I think Walt was bold enough to make happen what he dreamed. He taught us all "if we can dream it, we can do it." :)

lebernadin

On Eisner...Roy....these boards....

Something i've noticed over the past month is that there seems to be a minority of folks who are educated on the track records of Walt, Eisner, and Roy. Yet the vast majority of posts i've read seem to be working on the notion that "Roy Disney is a Disney, anything he says/does must be exactly what Walt would want, Roy Disney doesn't like Eisner, hence i don't like Eisner, and want Roy to take over and all will be perfect."

This isn't a position post, but more of a get out on the web and bookstores and read up on this subject before just following someone else's leads. Educate yourself. There are plenty of benchmarks throughout political and businessworld history where relatives have taken power, or wanted to, and been a success/disaster.

If you're passionate about Roy Disney taking over, contact him, see what he plans to do, don't assume its what's best because his name is Disney.

If you support Eisner, do the same, press him to know what his plans are etc..

jrriddle

Re: On Eisner...Roy....these boards....

Originally posted by lebernadin
Something i've noticed over the past month is that there seems to be a minority of folks who are educated on the track records of Walt, Eisner, and Roy. Yet the vast majority of posts i've read seem to be working on the notion that "Roy Disney is a Disney, anything he says/does must be exactly what Walt would want, Roy Disney doesn't like Eisner, hence i don't like Eisner, and want Roy to take over and all will be perfect."

This isn't a position post, but more of a get out on the web and bookstores and read up on this subject before just following someone else's leads. Educate yourself. There are plenty of benchmarks throughout political and businessworld history where relatives have taken power, or wanted to, and been a success/disaster.

If you're passionate about Roy Disney taking over, contact him, see what he plans to do, don't assume its what's best because his name is Disney.

Very well put. My compliments to the Chef!

MouseRight

Re: On Eisner...Roy....these boards....

Originally posted by lebernadin

Great Post. May Level Heads Prevail!!!

niteobsrvr

I can't vouch for his presence at Epcot New Year's Eve but since he was at the Magic Kingdom the evening of January 1st, one might assume he indeed was he was Around New Years Eve also.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom