Eisner at Epcot on NYE

prberk

Originally posted by Mary Poppins
He also went to MGM and spoke to cast members backstage on NYE. New Year's day he was at Animal Kingdom watching the parade.

Any idea what he told them, and whether he said anything about the future of the Florida animators?

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by prberk
Any idea what he told them, and whether he said anything about the future of the Florida animators?

"Hi, I'm Michael. Thanks for doing a great job in 2003"

Honestly folks, the future of Animation at MGM has little to do with the park or park CM's. ON a side note, has not anyone considered that Feature Animation as a business unit may actually perform better when it is all under one roof in Hollywood vs the decentralized approach from the last several years that turned out lackluster results?

RalphieN

I've read through this entire thread and several like it that totally bash Eisner and I must admit, my knowledge of the history of Walt and Roy and Mike is limited to mainly what I read here but I want to point out my simple view on this whole thing. Maybe many of you are right and having Eisner leave would be a good thing for Disney but here is how I see it.

The way I remember it is when I was a kid, in the 70's, Disney wasn't as popular with the kids as loony tunes and other Sat. morning cartoons because rarely was there an opportunity to see something Disney on TV. There were some cool Disney shows like Daniel Boone but by then, they may have been reruns, I have no idea. I don't really remember any animated movies at the theaters that we would go watch. Maybe it's just me, but Disney wasn't a big part of growing up. We went to Florida every year at least once because we had family there and when we went for a week or two, we usually set aside a day to visit Walt Disney World (MK was the only park there). At the time, 1 day was enough because with only the one park, it was a stretch to go longer than that. Just as a sidenote, we went to Lion Country Safari every year too. (When did that close down, does anyone know?). Anyway, my point is that Disney was a part of my youth but a relatively small part.

Fast-Forward, 2004. I am 37 now and have kids of my own. My kids watch Disney shows all the time, whenever they want and frankly, I encourage them to watch Disney over the other crap on TV like Nickalodean (sp?) because there is a Disney channel which we didn't have as a kid. And we go to the movies several times each year (same as when I was a kid) but whenever we go just about, it is to see a Disney movie. And we vacation at least once a year and the kids get to pick wherever they want and guess what, it's always Walt Disney World and now WDW isn't a day out of the vacation, it is the entire vacation.

My point: Maybe Eisner has made mistakes and maybe he could do things better but let's compare Disney of today with Disney of before Eisner. Which do you prefer? There is no question in my mind. If we must point out Disney's failures recently like Treasure Planet and pin the blame on Eisner, how about pointing out the successes like Pirates of the Caribbean and applauding him for that. (I know, I know, Eisner doesn't get the credit for POTC just credit for the failures like TP)

MouseRight

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
"Hi, I'm Michael. Thanks for doing a great job in 2003"

Honestly folks, the future of Animation at MGM has little to do with the park or park CM's. ON a side note, has not anyone considered that Feature Animation as a business unit may actually perform better when it is all under one roof in Hollywood vs the decentralized approach from the last several years that turned out lackluster results?

I am one that leans to Traditional Feature Animation vs CGI Animation. I thought Nemo was a good movie but didn't understand the hype. While I thought that Brother BEar was great and somehow got lost in the crowd or was a victim of the public's change in tastes.

Obviously, something must be done to insure that traditional animation doesn't disappear forever. I assume (But have no proof) that the Company will focus it's efforts as it did in teh 80's and find a way (they need a new hit like Lion King, Mermaid, etc) to make it a success again. AGain, this cutback hurts, but is probably necessary and does not suggest that Disney is ababdoning its heritage. Let's remember, it was Eisner and company who created the Florida Animation Group as a way to entertain the guests at MGM. While it worked for awhile, the market has changed and Disney needs to bring out one major blockbuster release each year in the tradition of Walt and JK. I agree with niteobsrvr - bring it back to Burbank and find the best talent and get it done. Sorry to our frindly CM's in Orlando, but I don't see any other way.

MouseRight

Originally posted by RalphieN

Just as a sidenote, we went to Lion Country Safari every year too. (When did that close down, does anyone know?).

Great Post Ralphien.

If you are talking about The Lion Country Safari west of West Palm Beach in South Florida - it is still there. It is a Great little local park that has many animals in natural habitats similar to Busch Gardens. You ride through and see the animals then go to an amusement area for kiddie rides.

Here's the Link:

http://www.lioncountrysafari.com/

General Grizz

I'm not sure how it will make a difference.

Atlantis and Treasure Planet were Burbank films that miserably failed. Brother Bear, Lilo and Stitch, and Mulan were three hits made here at Orlando. If anything, allow Orlando to keep making films while Burbank can hit the gold mine. It's not like the Animators are being moved to Burbank, are they? :lookaroun

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by grizzlyhall

Atlantis and Treasure Planet were Burbank films that miserably failed. Brother Bear, Lilo and Stitch, and Mulan were three hits made here at Orlando. If anything, allow Orlando to keep making films while Burbank can hit the gold mine. It's not like the Animators are being moved to Burbank, are they? :lookaroun

The animators work on contract. Those who could move to LA and saw the writing on the wall have done so already. The rest will find out their fate Jan 15. I wouldn't look for an announcement that Orlando will reamain a viable part of the Feature Animation business.

MouseRight

Originally posted by grizzlyhall

Although the team is in Orlando, theoverall Animation effort is controlled out of Burbank. Splitting the team into different groups, serves to only devide the creative, manament, and financial resources during a time that fewer films with a greater quality need to be released. (I woudl hope that teh best from Orlando would be included in such a move). Put the best in one place, give them the time, environment, and support they need to create a new Lion King or Mermaid. Less will be more under that scenario.

xfkirsten

He also went to MGM and spoke to cast members backstage on NYE. New Year's day he was at Animal Kingdom watching the parade.

He talked to Cast Members? Wow, now I know the world really is coming to an end.

Unless by talk you mean stand 100 yars away and talk over a microphone with a security force surrounding him that is ordered to act with lethal force. :rolleyes:

-Kirsten

raven

Originally posted by xfkirsten
He talked to Cast Members? Wow, now I know the world really is coming to an end.

Unless by talk you mean stand 100 yars away and talk over a microphone with a security force surrounding him that is ordered to act with lethal force.

No joke. Not too many CM's are liking him nowadays. I wonder how many he spoke to.

Originally posted by xfkirsten

Unless by talk you mean stand 100 yars away and talk over a microphone with a security force surrounding him that is ordered to act with lethal force. :rolleyes:

-Kirsten

He actually went backstage and spoke to cast members at Fantasmic. I'm not sure what he talked about.

xfkirsten

He actually went backstage and spoke to cast members at Fantasmic. I'm not sure what he talked about.

I'm sure it'll get out sooner or later. I know how well that WDW CM rumor mill works. ;) No, really, we tested it. It was a blast.

-Kirsten

nancya75s

Anyone who has posted here has publicly humiliated and defamed a major Disney Company icon that being Mr. Michael Eisner.

You people write that you want to invoke bodily harm to Mr. Michael Eisner by "smacking him" and other physical injuries.

There are laws against attempting to assault people and publicly admitting it.

My son is a Police captain and I wonder if there are laws against what you people have wrote here.

Shame on you!

imagineer boy

Originally posted by nancya75s
Anyone who has posted here has publicly humiliated and defamed a major Disney Company icon that being Mr. Michael Eisner.

You people write that you want to invoke bodily harm to Mr. Michael Eisner by "smacking him" and other physical injuries.

There are laws against attempting to assault people and publicly admitting it.

My son is a Police captain and I wonder if there are laws against what you people have wrote here.

Shame on you!

We're joking! Relax! We'd never do somthing like that. Maybe.:goodnevil

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by Bill
No sign of Eisner. I was at the Studios NYE, and at MK a night on the 1st.

Its not like he went to the castle forecourt stage and announced over the PA system, Hi, I'm Michael Eisner and I came to Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom