EE Update Feature

peter11435

Legacy said:
So when I see guests clapping and screaming when they come off one of those ugly steel behemoths that so loathed around here they aren't as good?

One thing that I keep noticing is how Serka Zong keeps getting lumped into Everest. Now, I understand that a new area of the park was built completely for the mountain. The Asia/Dinoland bridge was built with Everest in mind. Serka Zong is a beautiful expansion, from what I have seen, fitting perfectly into the unreal theming and development of Animal Kingdom. But how much of the $100 million went into the village surrounding the mountain? How much money could have been funnelled into more effects for the ride rather than another way Disney can soak money from their guests?

Most of Serka Zong ( I sould say 80%) is used for the attractions queue. There is only one store (kind of small) as you exit and a set of bathrooms. So yes I think that is most certainly part of the Everest experience. When you are going 50 mph on a roller coaster it is difficult to take in much detail so it makes sense to put tons of detail and themeing into the queue.

EpcotServo

JT3000 said:
^ They could have easily added more show scenes to the ride itself.
What the heck are you talking about? EE has more show scenes then Tower of Terror, Rock 'N' Roller Coaster, and most other rides. Here's how I see it...
SS1-Forest
SS2-Stairway/Yeti mural
SS3-Old creaking trestle and snowy peaks
SS4-broken track
SS5-backwards
SS6-Yeti's shadow
SS7-the escape
SS8-the yeti

Let's compare to TOT,
SS1-Hallway ghosts
SS2-5th Dimension
SS3-Drop profile
SS4-unload

Or RNR,
SS1-Launch
SS2-the drive
SS3-The arrival
Heck, let's go into classics.
Pirates
SS1-the cave
SS2-the fort battle
SS3-town dunking
SS4-the auction
SS5-the pirate raid
SS6-burning town
SS7-the treasure room
or COP?
SS1-the 10's
SS2-the 20's
SS3-the 40's
SS4-future
The list goes on. What else should EE have? Should the Yeti jump out and do a jazzy song and dance number? Do you want WDI come in and make a Gary Sinese AA figure to warn guests even more? How about working Donald and Walt into the ride somehow? What do you think EE should have in terms of more show scenes?

Testtrack321

EpcotServo said:
What the heck are you talking about? EE has more show scenes then Tower of Terror, Rock 'N' Roller Coaster, and most other rides. Here's how I see it...
SS1-Forest
SS2-Stairway/Yeti mural
SS4-broken track
SS5-backwards
SS6-Yeti's shadow
SS7-the escape
SS8-the yeti

Let's compare to TOT,
SS1-Hallway ghosts
SS2-5th Dimension
SS3-Drop profile
SS4-unload

Or RNR,
SS1-Launch
SS2-the drive
SS3-The arrival
Pirates
SS1-the cave
SS2-the fort battle
SS3-town dunking
SS4-the auction
SS5-the pirate raid
SS6-burning town
SS7-the treasure room
or COP?
SS1-the 10's
SS2-the 20's
SS3-the 40's
SS4-future
The list goes on. What else should EE have? Should the Yeti jump out and do a jazzy song and dance number? Do you want WDI come in and make a Gary Sinese AA figure to warn guests even more? How about working Donald and Walt into the ride somehow? What do you think EE should have in terms of more show scenes?

"Lets send them down train tracks 2, 5, and 7...."
"...7?"
"Yeah, 7."

fundesign

MontyMon said:
My only input to the debate is fairly basic:

Myself and DS10 rode ten times in one day. Every ride was exhilerating and we came off out of breath and excited by the ride. That hasn't happened before. So, in our collective opinion: Nobody got it wrong, skimped or lowered the bar! It's a really good ride, plain and simple.

And I'm sure if you rode Millenium Force at Cedar Point you'd also come off exhilerated and out of breath and excited. People feel the same when they exit R&RC or even Thunder. If we were just grading the ride on thrills it would be up there as far as Disney is concerned, but pretty low on the scale of thrills around the world. The point is it wasn't designed to be just a thrill coaster. It's a family attraction targeted for families and young teens. That means there has to be more to offer. In that department I and some others feel Disney dropped the ball again.

EpcotServo

fundesign said:
And I'm sure if you rode Millenium Force at Cedar Point you'd also come off exhilerated and out of breath and excited. People feel the same when they exit R&RC or even Thunder. If we were just grading the ride on thrills it would be up there as far as Disney is concerned, but pretty low on the scale of thrills around the world. The point is it wasn't designed to be just a thrill coaster. It's a family attraction targeted for families and young teens. That means there has to be more to offer. In that department I and some others feel Disney dropped the ball again.
Yes, but Disney's coasters don't break cables and spew metal shards at the passing trains. I went to Cedar Point and found all of it's rides drab and rather cheap. Even it's huge 300 and 400 foot coasters just look like big old hunks of steel in the sky made to get ohio people to come gawk at it. Everyone I know at Ohio come to WDW and find it's rides 1,000 times better then the ones at CP. Why, I ask them? They say that they are better because they are in mountains, towers, and other amazing places. Everest takes me to a little village on the edge of beautiful mountains in Asia. Where does Mil. Force take you? We know Disney or any theme park for that matter isn't as good as the old days, but come on. I can't name a single ride that has really pushed the limit of how fun a ride can be in the last five years, save for Soarin'. If EE is as bad as you say, what's better?

xdx

EpcotServo said:
Yes, but Disney's coasters don't break cables and spew metal shards at the passing trains....

Funny, I was actually there that day and had gotten off about an hour before the 2nd boost cable tore apart on TTD....

I've been to CP a couple times, Kings Island about 50X since I was born, and a dozen or so other Six Flags / Coaster Parks. While it is true for that quick minute or two on Millenium, Dragster, or Twister, it is a blast, but.... you still have to get off the ride and the magic ends very quickly....And don't even get me started on their nightime spectacular:eek: ! It basically consisted of a few dozen shells, a couple lasers, the Michigan and Ohio St fight songs, and Snoopy standing on a flatbed trailer in an Uncle Sam outfit, waving two American Flags....:lookaroun... Those in WDW who have never been to CP or PKI don't appreciate enough what they have.... unless they walk into one of their shops on a brisk 95 degree day, only to walk into a 95 degree shop....

I can't comment on Everest yet... but wait.... I'm on my way down with my wife via SWA on Saturday and will be one of the first in line on Sunday...also my 30th B-Day!!! If anyone else is going Sunday... I'll be the one that keeps getting in line over and over....

Dwayne

peter11435

fundesign said:
It's a family attraction targeted for families and young teens. That means there has to be more to offer. In that department I and some others feel Disney dropped the ball again.

I don't mean to sound harsh but if you don't think Everest has more to offer than a coaster then you must be blind.

fundesign

EpcotServo said:
SS1-Forest
SS2-Stairway/Yeti mural
SS4-broken track
SS5-backwards
SS6-Yeti's shadow
SS7-the escape
SS8-the yeti

Let's compare to TOT,
SS1-Hallway ghosts
SS2-5th Dimension
SS3-Drop profile
SS4-unload

Or RNR,
SS1-Launch
SS2-the drive
SS3-The arrival
Pirates
SS1-the cave
SS2-the fort battle
SS3-town dunking
SS4-the auction
SS5-the pirate raid
SS6-burning town
SS7-the treasure room
or COP?
SS1-the 10's
SS2-the 20's
SS3-the 40's
SS4-future

You are kidding right? Where to begin...First of all the Disneyland Pirates version has 19 scenes. WDW version has 13 and, I would argue, a more immersive queue than Everest and is just as detailed for what it is. Everest is going for more authenticity of course. Besides, the definition of "scene" in your Everest example is not a fair comparison. "The Escape" and "The Forest" from Everest cannot be compared in scope to "The Auction" or "Bombarding the Fort" from Pirates.

While I appreciate your sarcastic tone in your last paragraph, it saddens me that so many have so little expectation from the company that gave us Pirates and Indy. I guess this is the time Walt was referring to when he said Disneyland would never be completed as long as there was imagination left in the world. Disneyland must be complete.

What would I do to improve Everest? That would take several pages but I'll give you some things off the top of my head. How about a better build up? I like the photos in the museum. Nice touch but not enough to build anticipation. Yes we know we will encounter the Yeti and enjoy a high-speed ride, but where is the substance? A good story is about thoroughness, not shortcuts. I would have each train marked by an encounter with the Yeti. I realize there are cost and safety issues with that. But you can keep the same train templates and add to them in the finish. The result is an impressive hint that there is danger occurring in real-time before we board. Tears, claw marks and even side panels out of place. I don't like that the Yeti decides to appear on our trip for no reason. Perhaps in the queue, a disgruntled native character upset that the area is open to explorers, calls the Yeti into action while praying. Signs of his manifestation begin in the shop and museum. I would definitely place a destroyed camping site, much like the one in the museum, into the bare "forest" scene. Signs of the Yeti's presence evident by the path from the trees. Perhaps even a destroyed village instead.

The lift 2 scene is pointless. The Yeti mural looks exactly like what it is...a painting with flickering red light. If they were going for a supernatural look they should have used gobos, cryo. laser...any number of carnival tricks. I know there is a light problem there because it's on the lift hill and it's hard to enclose that structure. It is probably in the wrong place for the purpose intended. By the way...where is the use of music throughout? That would add a tremendous emotional impact.

Now on to the first track switch. What were they thinking!!? Great opportunity to place an exciting show scene. We're moving along...slowing down before reaching the apex of the hill when all of the sudden a boulder drops in the middle of the track from the left side. Our train is forced to a halt. We hear the fierce roar of the Yeti and feel the vibrations. We see his head on the left. He quickly drops down. We hear the sound of steel being ripped apart and now, in front of us we see our track coming up to where it is in the current ride. The Yeti's hands can be seen ripping it apart until the bifurcated track reaches the front end of the train forcing us backwards.

The shadow projector is pretty lame in my opinion. I wouldn't mind the shadow part if it actually looked like a shadow. Instead it looks like a projection. The problem there could be corrected in the artwork and projector assembly. On top of that I would have some show action effects similar to Earthquake and Twister modified to the Yeti chase theme. Even a simple physical and audio wind effect would add to this scene. I might have his hand punch through the rockwork below us just before we take off going forward again.

How about some bats and other animals of the region? Where are they? Let's not forget this is Animal Kingdom. The last scene needs to be a fitting finale. We should actually feel the effect of the Yeti's fury. The train is stopped in front of a pile of rubble. We are picked up and dropped. Yes this can be done in several ways. The expensive way would be to have the train index onto a sim. platform. A cheap but still effective way would be to have the walls, floor and ceiling travel down. That along with the proper lighting and fog can be very effective. I actually worked on an overseas project where we were going to use this effect and even mocked it up. Unfortunately the entire ride was pushed back for phase two of the park.

So off the top of my head those are some of the changes I would like to have seen. All of these things could be done for a lower cost than you think. Maybe in my next post I'll outline a ROM for some of these additions. Point is, Disney should be doing these types of things. Not just another Big Thunder.

fundesign

EpcotServo said:
Yes, but Disney's coasters don't break cables and spew metal shards at the passing trains. I went to Cedar Point and found all of it's rides drab and rather cheap. Even it's huge 300 and 400 foot coasters just look like big old hunks of steel in the sky made to get ohio people to come gawk at it. Everyone I know at Ohio come to WDW and find it's rides 1,000 times better then the ones at CP. Why, I ask them? They say that they are better because they are in mountains, towers, and other amazing places. Everest takes me to a little village on the edge of beautiful mountains in Asia. Where does Mil. Force take you? We know Disney or any theme park for that matter isn't as good as the old days, but come on. I can't name a single ride that has really pushed the limit of how fun a ride can be in the last five years, save for Soarin'. If EE is as bad as you say, what's better?

My comment was a response to what MontyMon said. He went on Everest ten times and because he was excited and out of breath that there is nothing wrong with the ride. So my point is there are lots of rides that leave you out of breath and excited. Millenium Force certainly can do that.

JT3000

EpcotServo said:
SS1-Forest
SS2-Stairway/Yeti mural
SS4-broken track
SS5-backwards
SS6-Yeti's shadow
SS7-the escape
SS8-the yeti

Let's compare to TOT,
SS1-Hallway ghosts
SS2-5th Dimension
SS3-Drop profile
SS4-unload

Or RNR,
SS1-Launch
SS2-the drive
SS3-The arrival
Pirates
SS1-the cave
SS2-the fort battle
SS3-town dunking
SS4-the auction
SS5-the pirate raid
SS6-burning town
SS7-the treasure room
or COP?
SS1-the 10's
SS2-the 20's
SS3-the 40's
SS4-future

Wow. You have the single loosest definition of the term "show scene" that I've ever seen. In reality, there's only three or four points on Everest that actually give the rider something (of interest) to look at. Less than any other Disney coaster and certainly less than a ride like Pirates or COP. I personally find all of Everest's show elements, as limited as they are, very underwhelming to boot. Yes, including the Yeti. And what exactly is the point of a bird on a stick?

fundesign

JT3000 said:
Wow. You have the single loosest definition of the term "show scene" that I've ever seen. In reality, there's only three or four points on Everest that actually give the rider something (of interest) to look at. Less than any other Disney coaster and certainly less than a ride like Pirates or COP. I personally find all of Everest's show elements, as limited as they are, very underwhelming to boot. Yes, including the Yeti. And what exactly is the point of a bird on a stick?

I know...isn't that insane! The Garner Holt bird is sad. I suppose if we are going to include the "forest" and the "escape" as Everest scenes we would also have to include the the "curve past storage trackswitch" and maybe "the lift before the first speed run," which of course comes before the exciting "forest" scene.

If more people demanded just a bit more from Disney perhaps they wouldn't let a bird on a stick be in the approved scope.

peter11435

JT3000 said:
While I agree is definition of a show scene is somewhay loose to say that everest offers so little is equally insane. I don't see how there is anymore to see on BTMRR than there is at Everest.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
fundesign said:
My comment was a response to what MontyMon said. He went on Everest ten times and because he was excited and out of breath that there is nothing wrong with the ride. So my point is there are lots of rides that leave you out of breath and excited. Millenium Force certainly can do that.

Obviously a simple statement isn't enough for you. So I'll be as clear as I can.

We rode ten times that day [another five today] and loved the ride! We loved that it was thrilling, we loved the story, we loved the scenes through the ride, we loved the stand by queue, we loved the FP queue, we loved the Yeti lunging at us, we loved riding in the very back seats, we loved riding in the very front seats, we loved the CMs who recognized us after numerous rides and we loved the smells, the sights, the sounds and the overall experience that is Expedition Everest. None of the comparisons to other Disney rides made the slightest sense to us because those rides are simply different rides. We enjoy all of the rides we've been on, but EE is an all-encompassing experience [yes, including thrills] that we enjoy above the others.

Again, nobody at WDI did anything wrong here. It's everything it should be and I categorically disagree with your statement that the bar has been lowered.

Is that understandable enough?

PintoColvig

Apples and Oranges! I haven't been on EE yet. But it only makes sense and fair to compare EE with a ride that is most similar in function. Is EE a slow moving ride like pirates? No...though it has some slow spots, it is a fast moving coaster. Slower rides need more AA and detail. Faster rides need les AA and detail. Why add lots of AA to a ride that moves so fast? (In fact, the one irritation I have with BTMR is that you move so quickly through the most detailed section.) Better yet, instead of comparing EE as a ride to another ride, why not compare EE as an experience. Is EE a fun and unique experience that sets it apart from other WDW experiences? That's how this new ride should be evaluated. :king:

dandaman

Legacy said:
...and come away thinking that the mountain is Disney's Top Thrill Dragster.

It's big! It's grand! We spent a crap load of money!

:lol:

Regarding EpcotServo's post: I go to Disney for themeing and storyline. I go to Cedar Point (8 times last year, all told) for thrills. Neither is every single person's cup of tea, and I realize that. I'm glad to experience both, because I love both.

In other words, those "big 'ol hunks of steel" are fun, IMO, in their own way: Pure, raw thrill. (And scare-you-****less fear, but that translates to fun for coaster enthusiasts...:lol: )

And xdx: Yeah, the Summer Spectacular is pretty crappy. :rolleyes:

"If I have to hear one more messed-up song with weird laser projections, I'll even ride Chaos after eating an Elephant Ear!"

Buried20KLeague

fundesign said:
You are kidding right? Where to begin...First of all the Disneyland Pirates version has 19 scenes. WDW version has 13 and, I would argue, a more immersive queue than Everest and is just as detailed for what it is. Everest is going for more authenticity of course. Besides, the definition of "scene" in your Everest example is not a fair comparison. "The Escape" and "The Forest" from Everest cannot be compared in scope to "The Auction" or "Bombarding the Fort" from Pirates.

While I appreciate your sarcastic tone in your last paragraph, it saddens me that so many have so little expectation from the company that gave us Pirates and Indy. I guess this is the time Walt was referring to when he said Disneyland would never be completed as long as there was imagination left in the world. Disneyland must be complete.

What would I do to improve Everest? That would take several pages but I'll give you some things off the top of my head. How about a better build up? I like the photos in the museum. Nice touch but not enough to build anticipation. Yes we know we will encounter the Yeti and enjoy a high-speed ride, but where is the substance? A good story is about thoroughness, not shortcuts. I would have each train marked by an encounter with the Yeti. I realize there are cost and safety issues with that. But you can keep the same train templates and add to them in the finish. The result is an impressive hint that there is danger occurring in real-time before we board. Tears, claw marks and even side panels out of place. I don't like that the Yeti decides to appear on our trip for no reason. Perhaps in the queue, a disgruntled native character upset that the area is open to explorers, calls the Yeti into action while praying. Signs of his manifestation begin in the shop and museum. I would definitely place a destroyed camping site, much like the one in the museum, into the bare "forest" scene. Signs of the Yeti's presence evident by the path from the trees. Perhaps even a destroyed village instead.

The lift 2 scene is pointless. The Yeti mural looks exactly like what it is...a painting with flickering red light. If they were going for a supernatural look they should have used gobos, cryo. laser...any number of carnival tricks. I know there is a light problem there because it's on the lift hill and it's hard to enclose that structure. It is probably in the wrong place for the purpose intended. By the way...where is the use of music throughout? That would add a tremendous emotional impact.

Now on to the first track switch. What were they thinking!!? Great opportunity to place an exciting show scene. We're moving along...slowing down before reaching the apex of the hill when all of the sudden a boulder drops in the middle of the track from the left side. Our train is forced to a halt. We hear the fierce roar of the Yeti and feel the vibrations. We see his head on the left. He quickly drops down. We hear the sound of steel being ripped apart and now, in front of us we see our track coming up to where it is in the current ride. The Yeti's hands can be seen ripping it apart until the bifurcated track reaches the front end of the train forcing us backwards.

The shadow projector is pretty lame in my opinion. I wouldn't mind the shadow part if it actually looked like a shadow. Instead it looks like a projection. The problem there could be corrected in the artwork and projector assembly. On top of that I would have some show action effects similar to Earthquake and Twister modified to the Yeti chase theme. Even a simple physical and audio wind effect would add to this scene. I might have his hand punch through the rockwork below us just before we take off going forward again.

How about some bats and other animals of the region? Where are they? Let's not forget this is Animal Kingdom. The last scene needs to be a fitting finale. We should actually feel the effect of the Yeti's fury. The train is stopped in front of a pile of rubble. We are picked up and dropped. Yes this can be done in several ways. The expensive way would be to have the train index onto a sim. platform. A cheap but still effective way would be to have the walls, floor and ceiling travel down. That along with the proper lighting and fog can be very effective. I actually worked on an overseas project where we were going to use this effect and even mocked it up. Unfortunately the entire ride was pushed back for phase two of the park.

So off the top of my head those are some of the changes I would like to have seen. All of these things could be done for a lower cost than you think. Maybe in my next post I'll outline a ROM for some of these additions. Point is, Disney should be doing these types of things. Not just another Big Thunder.

All VERY interesting ideas, and most sound quite plausible and effective.

I guess I see things this way... People are different. And different groups of people have reasons why they consider an attraction a classic or not.

1. One group is thrill seekers looking to push the g-force and speed thresholds.

2. Another looks for immersion in the theme and look to feel completely transported to another time or place. (Disney fans are STRONG in this area)

3. Another may look mostly at re-ridability. They don't want to be able to notice all the details the first time around. I'd consider this a branch of theme.

4. Another may want something they've never seen before. They want originality. (another strong Disney fan trait)

5. Then there's others that want inclusion. They want the ride to be something everyone in the family can enjoy. (another strong one for Disney fans)

These aren't the only types, OBVIOULSY... So let's not go pointing out how many other things people look for in rides. I'm simplifying here, but I'd venture to say these above cover most of the general public.

And obviously most people are some combination of these above, not solely made of one.

IMHO, I think EE is Disney's best attempt at satisfying as many of these personality types as possible at once. I think it's that simple. It's like a good politician. It evenly distributes itself between these qualities, with the exception of going HEAVY on theme to impress... Which would be smart because it doesn't alienate anyone. You go heavy on thrills, you alienate certain people that don't like that. You go too heavy on family rideability, you upset those looking for speed and don't want another "kiddie-coaster". You don't include something "new", some people are offended and say Disney didn't do anthing unique. You sit that train in front of the yeti and let it go crazy, you scare the kids (i.e. Alien Encounter). But if you go heavy on theme... Well... No one will have a beef with THAT.

So... it's spread evenly, trying to satisfy as many people as possible. With the exception of "theme", because that doesn't alienate anyone, and at the same time gives everyone the "wow" factor as you walk up to the mountain... Putting riders in the right frame of mind no matter what they're looking for once they board.

This is VERY simplified... And I'm writing this in between trying to actually get some work done... And I'm sure I'll get flamed for the spotty thought process. But hopefully my main point is what gets across... That maybe it's possible that EE was designed to please as much of the paying public as possible, and due to this fact, some would call it less than spectacular because it doesn't exceed their expectations in the field they have the most interest in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom