EE Update Feature

Jose Eber

Original Poster
fundesign be careful -- what goes around comes around:

You are accusing the mouse of not having high enough standards -- if your standards were higher -- would you still be working for the mouse?

You say the public isn't discerning enough -- but are you discerning enough to serve the public?

I say you reap what you sow. If you really do have such high standards you'd be working in a top notch firm/field/projects.

And if you are working for a top notch firm right now doing killer projects -- tell us about them.

J.

:slurp:

fundesign

MontyMon said:
Obviously a simple statement isn't enough for you. So I'll be as clear as I can.

We rode ten times that day [another five today] and loved the ride! We loved that it was thrilling, we loved the story, we loved the scenes through the ride, we loved the stand by queue, we loved the FP queue, we loved the Yeti lunging at us, we loved riding in the very back seats, we loved riding in the very front seats, we loved the CMs who recognized us after numerous rides and we loved the smells, the sights, the sounds and the overall experience that is Expedition Everest. None of the comparisons to other Disney rides made the slightest sense to us because those rides are simply different rides. We enjoy all of the rides we've been on, but EE is an all-encompassing experience [yes, including thrills] that we enjoy above the others.

Again, nobody at WDI did anything wrong here. It's everything it should be and I categorically disagree with your statement that the bar has been lowered.

Is that understandable enough?

I never said the bar was lowered. I said the bar has not been raised. The status quo. has been maintained. Nothing new. Nothing great...just a fun ride. Nothing wrong with a fun ride. Than again there is nothing wrong with Hersheys chocolate vs. a fine Swiss brand. Or maybe a Golden Corral steak vs. a Mortons steak house cut. If I have never tasted a Mortons steak I would love Golden corral. Again, it's not bad but it's nothing like biting into that thick, juicy flavorful cut from Mortons grilled to perfection.

This is the reason you have to compare to other Disney attractions. This industry can be somewhat esoteric and it's difficult to convey what could have been without comparing something a guest has experienced.

If you've read my post where I responded to the person asking me to describe how I would change Everest, I'm sure you couldn't honestly say you like this version better. What I described came off the cuff as I was writing it. If I had been in the concept charettes there would be much more. I'm sure there was much more. But poor management, waste and egos get in the way. The main problem is park management stands at unload, watches all the smiling faces exit the ride and they say, "I'm glad we said no to that track destruction effect and the others...guests are going to love it because it's a coaster with a pretty mountain...the $10 million we saved will be much better spent on more merchandise carts and plush development."

fundesign

Jose Eber said:
fundesign be careful -- what goes around comes around:

You are accusing the mouse of not having high enough standards -- if your standards were higher -- would you still be working for the mouse?

You say the public isn't discerning enough -- but are you discerning enough to serve the public?

I say you reap what you sow. If you really do have such high standards you'd be working in a top notch firm/field/projects.

And if you are working for a top notch firm right now doing killer projects -- tell us about them.

J.

:slurp:

One of the reasons I'm not working for the mouse anymore is for some of the same reasons people like Steve Kirk or John Snoddy are not working there anymore. The mouse stopped doing anything interesting and/or we were laid off because WDI has become mostly a project management/accounting firm. Some of us still get some freelance work from WDI though ;) .

I'm working on a few very exciting possibilities. Perhaps when these projects are released to the public I can give you some details.:)

EpcotServo

fundesign said:
If you've read my post where I responded to the person asking me to describe how I would change Everest, I'm sure you couldn't honestly say you like this version better.
I can honestly say I like this version better. Why on earth would you need all these lighting effects on the Yeti mural? A laser and fog lighting show? I mean, you seem to want an all out thrill a minute EFX laden adventure. I wouldn't really care for anything else at broken trestle. Anyone who dosen't like that, hasn't paid too much attention to what's going on. You don't take in the fact that you're sitting high in the air, with nothing but the noises of the high winds blowing the prayer flags above your head. Then, all of the sudden a might roar echos off the mountain peaks. That too me is much better then seeing another effect. Did you even listen to the sound of the creaking trestle below you during lift B? Or the fact that the train's whistle echos off the mountain? Have you noticed the snow that falls off the track when the Yeti jumps on it, during shadow of the Yeti? And why would the trains be torn apart by the Yeti? They've just been reopened and refurbed. Well, I'm done arguing with somebody who won't listen. You enjoy your new super classic new ride that has yet to be opened, and I'll enjoy a great ride while I'm waiting.

peter11435

EpcotServo said:
I can honestly say I like this version better. Why on earth would you need all these lighting effects on the Yeti mural? A laser and fog lighting show? I mean, you seem to want an all out thrill a minute EFX laden adventure. I wouldn't really care for anything else at broken trestle. Anyone who dosen't like that, hasn't paid too much attention to what's going on. You don't take in the fact that you're sitting high in the air, with nothing but the noises of the high winds blowing the prayer flags above your head. Then, all of the sudden a might roar echos off the mountain peaks. That too me is much better then seeing another effect. Did you even listen to the sound of the creaking trestle below you during lift B? Or the fact that the train's whistle echos off the mountain? Have you noticed the snow that falls off the track when the Yeti jumps on it, during shadow of the Yeti? And why would the trains be torn apart by the Yeti? They've just been reopened and refurbed. Well, I'm done arguing with somebody who won't listen. You enjoy your new super classic new ride that has yet to be opened, and I'll enjoy a great ride while I'm waiting.
Good post. The fact is that the ride is great as it is. The only problem is that the world (read the internet) today is filled with backyard Imagineers who think they can do better than WDI.

fundesign

EpcotServo said:

Calm down man. It seems as though you just want to be contentious. You have a right to your opinions of course but the basis of your argument seems to be, "I'd rather not have realism in the effects and I'd rather have some sounds as opposed to some new, impressive show sequences." I know I'm simplifying what you're saying and I don't mean to offend but this is how I interpret your post.

Did you not understand what I was saying about the mural? My point was simply that they were going for a supernatural event. Instead we end up with a flicker light. I don't want anything flashy I just want it to look like there is something mysterious going on. You do that with a combination of things like gobos and cryo. There are many ways to achieve this but what is there now doesn't work.

Yes there is something to be said for a few well placed sound effects in lieu of an elaborate show scene. Nothing wrong with that every once and a while. But when the entire ride is mostly sounds with two bare show scenes that is something different. From what you are saying, instead of the finale scene in Indy ride for example, you'd rather be in the dark listening to the huge boulder coming at you. In some cases that would be cool. But I don't think you'll find too many people that, given the choice, would choose that over what we have currently.

I've heard all the sounds in Everest. Yes I've seen the detail in the shadow effect. It doesn't change the fact that it looks like a projector! The idea of the trains coming into the station with hints of damage from a Yeti encounter is that he has just been loosed and we are in danger.

fundesign

peter11435 said:
Good post. The fact is that the ride is great as it is. The only problem is that the world (read the internet) today is filled with backyard Imagineers who think they can do better than WDI.

Yes there are a lot of "backyard Imagineers" around. As for me I've been in project management, creative and started in ride and show engineering. I've worked for WDI, Landmark, Creative Presentations and numerous others as well as been on my own. I'm pretty sure you can't lump me in that category...unless you want to define my working for myself as "backyard":)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
fundesign said:
Did you not understand what I was saying about the mural? My point was simply that they were going for a supernatural event. Instead we end up with a flicker light. I don't want anything flashy I just want it to look like there is something mysterious going on. You do that with a combination of things like gobos and cryo. There are many ways to achieve this but what is there now doesn't work. .

Where did the supernatural come from? Remember to the locals, the Yeti is real. The mural is something that the local villagers painted into the wall of the fortress as a warning to anyone who may enter the forbidden mountain. Having special effects around it wouldnt work at all. That would just seem like effects for the sake of it, and not authentic, which is what is intended.

peter11435

fundesign said:
Yes there are a lot of "backyard Imagineers" around. As for me I've been in project management, creative and started in ride and show engineering. I've worked for WDI, Landmark, Creative Presentations and numerous others as well as been on my own. I'm pretty sure you can't lump me in that category...unless you want to define my working for myself as "backyard":)
Regardless of who you work for or who you have worked for you are still trying to Imagineer from the sideline. Anyone can suggest things that they "think" could make anyride better. I could sit here all day and list things that they could have done that would have made Pirates, Splash Mountain, and Tower of Terror better. But that doesn't mean they are not great rides as is. The fact is Everest is a great ride.

fundesign

wdwmagic said:
Where did the supernatural come from? Remember to the locals, the Yeti is real. The mural is something that the local villagers painted into the wall of the fortress as a warning to anyone who may enter the forbidden mountain. Having special effects around it wouldnt work at all. That would just seem like effects for the sake of it, and not authentic, which is what is intended.

If authenticity is what they're going for than why the flickering red light? That doesn't even fall into the category of show lighting, it's efx lighting. I assumed the glowing red eyes on the mural was meant to convey a supernatural event. Anyway, in light of the story changes I proposed it would make sense.

fundesign

peter11435 said:
Regardless of who you work for or who you have worked for you are still trying to Imagineer from the sideline. Anyone can suggest things that they "think" could make anyride better. I could sit here all day and list things that they could have done that would have made Pirates, Splash Mountain, and Tower of Terror better. But that doesn't mean they are not great rides as is. The fact is Everest is a great ride.

I still do work for WDI. Does that mean I'm still imagineering on the sidelines? You are right, anyone can make suggestions to improve any attraction...and wouldn't it be great if some of those suggestions became a reality? Yes the three rides you mentioned are great rides. I worked on some of them and there are plenty of things I would like to see done. But they are good quality attractions that raised the bar each in their own right. Everest does not belong in that group in my opinion. It's a fun coaster with a pretty view.

fundesign

Corrus said:
I doubt it... :lookaroun

I even wonder if he's really all that fun to be with... :confused:

Oops... Now I've done it... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope...never worked for Totally Fun. I'm not a big fan of peter Alexander. He takes credit for things that he had very little to do with. Not a bad guy personally, I just think he should be more honest regarding his portfolio.

Corrus...I mean really. Because I don't like Everest all that much that makes me dull? From what I could tell I thought we agreed on WDIs problems. I'll bet you are a real party animal.

peter11435

fundesign said:
I still do work for WDI. Does that mean I'm still imagineering on the sidelines? You are right, anyone can make suggestions to improve any attraction...and wouldn't it be great if some of those suggestions became a reality? Yes the three rides you mentioned are great rides. I worked on some of them and there are plenty of things I would like to see done. But they are good quality attractions that raised the bar each in their own right. Everest does not belong in that group in my opinion. It's a fun coaster with a pretty view.
I think Everest definitly belongs in that group.

Legacy

fundesign said:
I like you... can I send you a portfolio?

BwanaBob

Not to disturb the direction of this thread...

But did it ever occur to anyone the bird is NOT meant to be part of the show/theming?

As 'lame' as it is, it keeps any real animals from perching on the tracks and scene elements.

That is why it drops out of site after the train comes into sight-line.

Better than the audible deterrent at the Electric Umbrella @ Epcot? Probably not... I would doubt you would hear that in the mountain-tops though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom