EE Update Feature

Jose Eber

Original Poster
I thought the same too when I saw the video of the ride.

Hopefully the bird deters a Space Mountain/Discovery Island situation we had back in the day.

Don't need a new one.

J.

Legacy

BwanaBob said:
Not to disturb the direction of this thread...

But did it ever occur to anyone the bird is NOT meant to be part of the show/theming?

As 'lame' as it is, it keeps any real animals from perching on the tracks and scene elements.

That is why it drops out of site after the train comes into sight-line.

Better than the audible deterrent at the Electric Umbrella @ Epcot? Probably not... I would doubt you would hear that in the mountain-tops though.
There would be a better place to put a deterant though, like above the guest at the lip of the cave so that it cannot be seen?

Buried20KLeague

fundesign said:
Nope...never worked for Totally Fun. I'm not a big fan of peter Alexander. He takes credit for things that he had very little to do with. Not a bad guy personally, I just think he should be more honest regarding his portfolio.

Corrus...I mean really. Because I don't like Everest all that much that makes me dull? From what I could tell I thought we agreed on WDIs problems. I'll bet you are a real party animal.

I like this guy. :lol:

Testtrack321

fundesign said:
If authenticity is what they're going for than why the flickering red light? That doesn't even fall into the category of show lighting, it's efx lighting. I assumed the glowing red eyes on the mural was meant to convey a supernatural event. Anyway, in light of the story changes I proposed it would make sense.

IT'S BLOODY CANDLES!

DEAR GOD PEOPLE, can we all get off each other's cases for a second and THINK.

orlandorealtor

Testtrack321 said:
IT'S BLOODY CANDLES!

DEAR GOD PEOPLE, can we all get off each other's cases for a second and THINK.

Too bad the candle lighting is a little hard to see during the day. I was able to ride at dusk once and it looked great.

Jose Eber

Original Poster
Night rides are the bomb.

A little detail I keep noticing -- after the first lift hill and around the bend -- those are lights interspersed among the track aren't they (highlighting the footpath for emergency?)

Nice (safety) detail.

J.

(p.s. seriously though folks -- it is just a candle).

Tim G

fundesign said:
Nope...never worked for Totally Fun. I'm not a big fan of peter Alexander. He takes credit for things that he had very little to do with. Not a bad guy personally, I just think he should be more honest regarding his portfolio.

Corrus...I mean really. Because I don't like Everest all that much that makes me dull? From what I could tell I thought we agreed on WDIs problems. I'll bet you are a real party animal.
But then a retired party animal...
Yep... I'm that old...

wannab@dis

Anyone else ever wonder why a new attraction at WDW brings out the "I'm an imagineer/theme park designer/whatever and I could have done it better" posters? Especially interesting since they always claim to have worked on other attractions that are "in their view" better and the new attraction is a failure/lacks theming/bunch of wasted money.

Either they enjoy bashing attractions and think a made up pedigree gives them more credibility or they are just plain jealous they didn't have anything to do with it. No matter which side they fall... they hit me as pretty lame. :lol:

fundesign

wannab@dis said:
Anyone else ever wonder why a new attraction at WDW brings out the "I'm an imagineer/theme park designer/whatever and I could have done it better" posters? Especially interesting since they always claim to have worked on other attractions that are "in their view" better and the new attraction is a failure/lacks theming/bunch of wasted money.

Either they enjoy bashing attractions and think a made up pedigree gives them more credibility or they are just plain jealous they didn't have anything to do with it. No matter which side they fall... they hit me as pretty lame. :lol:

Well...I thought I was done posting. All I wanted to do was vent a little but noooooooo...you got have these theme park designer bashers come on here and stir up more trouble.

Look man...here's the deal. There are more options than the two you bring up in your last paragraph. I have worked on projects that I would describe as "failure/lacks theming/bunch of wasted money." This isn't about me. As a designer you can't be too sensitive or you'll go crazy. Of course in most of the above instances all I did was work off of WDI's specs or was assigned to the project after it was already doomed. but still, I guess that means your second option doesn't fit. I would say there is even one example when I was on the Creative team and the final product still came out subpar. I take some responsibility for that. I'm not bashing anyone in particular. By the time you get through with budget, schedule, politics and egos any project is susceptible to failure. I'm not holding myself up as the God of design.

How about another option to your list of theme park designer posters that you think are lame? How about the ones that are interested in lifting the theme park industry to the next level, or at least back to the level it was in before the last 10 years or so? Where does that start...with the public. If the public realizes that for the same money they can enjoy a better quality experience...more elaborate, more exciting and more entertaining, than park management will have to take notice. Maybe the effort is futile but at least we feel better.

So since I don't have an international voice I, and other like myself, come on the Internet and speak out. We use the opening of a supposed next-generation attraction because that's when all the hoopla takes place. I don't really care what you think about me so much as I hope more people will expect and demand more for their money.

peter11435

fundesign said:
Well...I thought I was done posting. All I wanted to do was vent a little but noooooooo...you got have these theme park designer bashers come on here and stir up more trouble.

Look man...here's the deal. There are more options than the two you bring up in your last paragraph. I have worked on projects that I would describe as "failure/lacks theming/bunch of wasted money." This isn't about me. As a designer you can't be too sensitive or you'll go crazy. Of course in most of the above instances all I did was work off of WDI's specs or was assigned to the project after it was already doomed. but still, I guess that means your second option doesn't fit. I would say there is even one example when I was on the Creative team and the final product still came out subpar. I take some responsibility for that. I'm not bashing anyone in particular. By the time you get through with budget, schedule, politics and egos any project is susceptible to failure. I'm not holding myself up as the God of design.

How about another option to your list of theme park designer posters that you think are lame? How about the ones that are interested in lifting the theme park industry to the next level, or at least back to the level it was in before the last 10 years or so? Where does that start...with the public. If the public realizes that for the same money they can enjoy a better quality experience...more elaborate, more exciting and more entertaining, than park management will have to take notice. Maybe the effort is futile but at least we feel better.

So since I don't have an international voice I, and other like myself, come on the Internet and speak out. We use the opening of a supposed next-generation attraction because that's when all the hoopla takes place. I don't really care what you think about me so much as I hope more people will expect and demand more for their money.
Listen we have no proof you are even who you say you are. For all we know you are a used car salesman from Kansas. In any case even if you are a theme park designer why would you feel the need to come out of the wood work simply to express your displeasure with EE and talk about how you could have made it "better." Everest is a great ride as is. Most people who have been on the ride agree. This doesn't mean that guests standards have lowered because they have not. All it means is that Everest is a great attraction.

wannab@dis

fundesign said:
uh, the designer bashing was done by you...

fundesign said:
Look man...here's the deal. There are more options than the two you bring up in your last paragraph. I have worked on projects that I would describe as "failure/lacks theming/bunch of wasted money." This isn't about me. As a designer you can't be too sensitive or you'll go crazy. Of course in most of the above instances all I did was work off of WDI's specs or was assigned to the project after it was already doomed.

But you could have done it better...
fundesign said:
but still, I guess that means your second option doesn't fit. I would say there is even one example when I was on the Creative team and the final product still came out subpar. I take some responsibility for that.
:eek:
fundesign said:
I'm not bashing anyone in particular. By the time you get through with budget, schedule, politics and egos any project is susceptible to failure.
in whose eyes? EE does not in any fashion look like the failure you claim... but, also according to you, you want to add every blasted theming possible... um, thank god you aren't in control of the budget or we would only see one new e-ticket every 20 years.
fundesign said:
I'm not holding myself up as the God of design.
Oh, it sure has seemed that way in some of your posts...

fundesign said:
$100M and yet you still don't think they succeeded. How much more would it take? Another $50M, $100M, $200M? At some point, you have to be restrained by a budget. Of course, being in the industry, you should know that. But yet, we still hear "more elaborate, more exciting and more entertaining"

fundesign said:

Whose money? guests or shareholders?

:wave:

fundesign

wannab@dis said:
uh, the designer bashing was done by you...

But you could have done it better... :eek: in whose eyes? EE does not in any fashion look like the failure you claim... but, also according to you, you want to add every blasted theming possible... um, thank god you aren't in control of the budget or we would only see one new e-ticket every 20 years. Oh, it sure has seemed that way in some of your posts...

$100M and yet you still don't think they succeeded. How much more would it take? Another $50M, $100M, $200M? At some point, you have to be restrained by a budget. Of course, being in the industry, you should know that. But yet, we still hear "more elaborate, more exciting and more entertaining"

Whose money? guests or shareholders?

:wave:

Lighten up. I haven't bashed anyone with the exception of myself and Peter Alexander:). The problem with coming onto a forum like this with an unpopular opinion (which still to this day astonishes me since what the opposing view says is "we don't want anything better...it can't be improved...it's perfect) is that they will only use the words that suits their agenda. You really have to take everything in and use all the posts to obtain an accurate representation of the other person's views. Also, that person can't express everything pertinent to the subject until a particular point is brought up. Case in point...I didn't realize I'd have to make it clear that I'm not the God of design.

In answer to your comment regarding whether I could do better the answer is yes...in some cases. I base this on my past work. In some cases politics or just bad judgement would get the better of me. It happens to the best of us. I'm not perfect.

When I said "any project is susceptible to failure" you know I didn't mean Everest. Please read the context of that statement again. I don't think Everest is a failure. It will be extremely popular because the public is starved for something decent from Disney. It has been a long time coming. Most of all because it is a coaster it's a guaranteed success already.

Need I go into the many examples of Walt himself wanting to go back and change things or improve them even after they proved to be successful with the public? Did you know there was a group at WDI that hated Star Tours and several very high level designers that hated Thunder? This happens with every project. John Hench certainly "bashed" when he said of the California Adventure scale model, "I liked it better as a parking lot." It's a designers job and natural instinct to critique, hopefully for the sake of improving, not raising his or her ego.

If you think my off-the-cuff suggestions would cost all that much you are mistaken. By the way...when was the last $100 Million E-ticket? We haven't seen that in quite some time. Don't say Mission Space...it cost far less than what has been reported. I'm not suggesting that they needed to spend any more money than they did. At the most another $5 to $10 Million would buy some bang for the buck and wouldn't break the bank. If you read some of my other posts you'll see that I'm saying the waste and poor management of the resources allocated is what causes most of the problems.

More elaborate or entertaining does not always mean more money. Good example would be Cranium Command...very low budget and tight schedule yet very creative and more popular than one would expect for the money spent. A good creative, management and technical team working together can overcome budget and schedule restraints any time.

I am in a hurry so maybe I'll revisit this later. Gotta run.

Lee

Adventurer
fundesign said:
By the way...when was the last $100 Million E-ticket? We haven't seen that in quite some time. Don't say Mission Space...it cost far less than what has been reported.
Gotta disagree a bit.....I'm told (by some who should know) that it cost far MORE than has been reported.

Lee

Adventurer
Ghostbuster626 said:
geez where the heck did the money go? Certainly not in the attraction. No doubt, into Eisners pockets!

Nope...had nothing to do with Eisner. Peter's right, it was mostly the R&D for the technology, plus the building and a few more things. LOTS of cash.:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom