EE bird/steam is back!

I rode EE for the first time in Sept 09. Must say the steam effect not working or the Yeti in B mode did not make the ride horrible. Matter of fact didnt eve know there was a waterfall. I understood the story 100%. Even though the Details weren't perfect the ride was still AWESOME

_Scar

I rode EE for the first time in Sept 09. Must say the steam effect not working or the Yeti in B mode did not make the ride horrible. Matter of fact didnt eve know there was a waterfall. I understood the story 100%. Even though the Details weren't perfect the ride was still AWESOME

It truly is.

People say the Yeti B and no steam and no blahblahblah effects ruin the attraction. I totally disagree. The attraction is great with barely any effects working. And is near perfection with them working. IMO it's perfection regardless. :xmas: A perfect balance of theme and thrill.

nor'easter

It truly is.

People say the Yeti B and no steam and no blahblahblah effects ruin the attraction. I totally disagree. The attraction is great with barely any effects working. And is near perfection with them working. IMO it's perfection regardless. :xmas: A perfect balance of theme and thrill.
Wow, what a depressing post. Perfect without any effects working....don't give Disney any ideas!

Maybe you'd like Space Mountain as a coaster with all the lights on, or Spash Mtn as a flume ride without any animatronics.

Testtrack321

Maybe you'd like Space Mountain as a coaster with all the lights on, or Spash Mtn as a flume ride without any animatronics.

What? That's talking about removing all the story driven elements of those attractions, we're talking about some additional effects that add onto it. Don't be a moron here, at least compare it to riding Splash Mountain without the exterior splash effect or Space without astroid projections.

fractal

I love "bird on a stick" - for some reason it makes me hungry for chicken shish-ka-bob.

BTW - Everest in full A-mode is the greatest ride I've experienced - from the queue beginning to the awesome conclusion of a moving, screaming, 20 ft fanged beast coming at you at 50 mph. The first time you ride EE A-mode you duck because you think the thing is really going to either swipe you right out of the car or take your flippin' head off. It is a 10 out of 10 ride.

In B/modified A/disco light mode it easily drops to a 6.5 out of 10.

_Scar

Wow, what a depressing post. Perfect without any effects working....don't give Disney any ideas!

Well, considering the ride with just projection, a B/A- yeti, a large mountain, and 1 working waterfall... yes I love the ride

I never said I thought the ride was perfection with no effects/story (since you view story and effects as interchangeable... which makes no sense).

:wave:

_Scar

:ROFLOL:Couldn't agree more with your assessment of that post! Dead on!! Posts like that always make me laugh because I find myself wondering, does this person truly understand what Disney is about? Do they not get that Disney is an established brand with an outstanding reputation because of its long history of quality, but that they occasionally have people in decision making roles who don't quite get it and are actually doing damage to that brand? I think there are some people on these discussion forums who, if they truly understood that, then they would realize that they're not being "disloyal" to Disney by being critical of attractions that are not up to par. In fact, quite the opposite is true IMO. I sometimes think that if Disney built a big empty warehouse with nothing inside it and called it an "attraction", there would be some people on these forums who would call it "awesome" and "amazing" no matter what... just because it would be on Disney property. :lol::hammer:

Oh my...

I'll be the first to criticize a lot of things at Disney. In fact, I'm probably overly-critical of WDW and expect too much. I think there is way more room for improvement in the parks. And no- just because it's labelled Disney doesn't mean I swoon instantly for it. In fact, I much prefer USF to WDW sometimes. Everest is just a great ride. It's downright my favorite attraction not only because of the actual ride, effects, story, queue, whatever... but because my experiences on it. I was actually expecting A LOT when riding it my first time... and it was the first time my expectations had come through in a long, long time. It was one of the best moments of my WDW experiences.

Oh, and yeah. I have NO idea what Disney is about if you were wondering. Spot on assumption.

Ummm... you didn't?? It sure sounded to me (and I think to any other reasonable person) like you were saying precisely that when you said the following...

How else did you think anyone was going to interpret that statement??

Regardless of those effects working, the ride in my eyes is still perfection.

Anymore questions?

Rob562

My thoughts on the bird:
While I haven't seen it operational in-person, I've seen it in a few videos. I could take it or leave it as it's designed.
But I think it would be a much *improved* effect (and something that a majority of people on here might actually *like*) if it did more than a simple down-and-back up.

Picture your hand sticking out a car window...

I'm imagining the movements of a bird *wafting* on the ever-changing breeze. It doesn't have to be anything amazing technically, just a subtle pitch forward and backward to lower and raise its beak as it floated down and up, and some additional little up and down movements to look like little variations in the wind, and the bird is *trying* to stay in one place, but dealing with the wind. I don't know how the mechanism is situated, but if it could be drawn *inward* slightly and back out as it's going through its motions, toward the connection point of the stick so that the entire bird isn't always visible. Make it look like it's floating in three dimensions rather than just two.

Maybe something a little added at the end, where as your train starts to roll backwards down the hill, the bird suddenly rises up slightly then tilts downward and swiftly dives down out of sight, as if it were diving down to attack some animal down below the cliff.

-Rob

pixiedust629

Alright, so I was on EE this morning. It was definitely not my first ride, but I cannot, for the life of me, remember what it was doing in June 07 when I was last here. I don't know if I know what A mode is. Or what waterfall or steam we're all talking about. And it really bugs me that I can't compare/contrast in my head, because I think whatever I saw this morning was pretty freakin scary, and is every time. And the 9yo I was with thought so too. lol So... I guess glowing red eyes, swooping hands, and strobe lights are enough to float my boat!

HOWEVER, today I saw this vulture for the first time. And I was like... is that bird?? It felt SO stiff and lame and .... LAME. But I'm glad this thread is here... because now I know:

Contrary to popular "being freaking stupid" - It wasn't a purely stupid idea- The Vulture is the Animal Kingdom tribute to the classic Vulture Warning. (First started in Snow White, Then Splash Mountain, Then Star Tours, Followed by Everest.)

And if you look up videos or pictures of the Lammergeier Vulture, You'd know that it actually "Floats" straight up by curling it's wings and hovering in high mountain gusts. It actually snatches it's prey up and uses the winds to get all the way up, even to 25,000+ Feet, DROPPING it's prey onto the high rocks- Multiple times even, until it cracks the spines and bones-Taking it back up to this high altitude caves in which it lives in. It's a very sinister looking bird, and one of the few animals that live this high. The perfect Omen of what's to come, and marking the signature "No turning Back" vulture of Imagineering tradition in a distinct Animal Kingdom Fashion.

As you can see, they don't flap their wings. Their wings are perpetually static, gliding up and down on neverending Mountain wings.

But I do agree:

Once again, though, bad storytelling if most people don't get that message. Arguably, most even most of the people participating in this thread didn't know about it until you explained it to us.... and we're all hardcore Disney fans.

...because I TOTALLY didn't get it-- and never saw it in the queue... which I've been in, but have bypassed several times via FP or rider switch. Cool detail, but I had no clue.

Well it's kind of like when somebody tells a joke that the person they tell it to doesn't "get". The old adage says that if you have to explain what the joke means then it becomes kind of pointless. It's basically the same with a Disney attraction. If they put a "detail" in an attraction that makes people scratch their heads and wonder what the point was, then they probably didn't do a good job of explaining it... in the queue or anywhere else.

Exactly... and I really really agree with this-- especially regarding the comments about current technology:

I think it would be a much *improved* effect if it did more than a simple down-and-back up.

I'm imagining the movements of a bird *wafting* on the ever-changing breeze. ... a subtle pitch forward and backward to lower and raise its beak as it floated down and up, and some additional little up and down movements to look like little variations in the wind... the bird suddenly rises up slightly then tilts downward and swiftly dives down out of sight, as if it were diving down to attack some animal down below the cliff.

That seems easy enough, right? I realize budget and stuff and whatever, but like I said..... I was clueless this morning-- I'm starting to appreciate it, but I just wish it would feel like it belonged better.

P.S. this cracked me up:

What more did you want from that bird?

It was meant to hover there, and that's what it does.

You're right... but it doesn't hover the Disney way. You know, it doesn't feel.... magical. haha :lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
At the end of the day an effect which was designed into the attraction wasn`t working, and now after a long period of time it is.

Something to be happy about.

nor'easter

What? That's talking about removing all the story driven elements of those attractions, we're talking about some additional effects that add onto it. Don't be a moron here, at least compare it to riding Splash Mountain without the exterior splash effect or Space without astroid projections.
At the risk of being "moronic", I'll bite.

No Yeti, etc = a thrilling steel coaster

No animatronics = a thrilling flume ride

The point is, it's the added effects that really distinguishes Disney attractions. Some fanboys are willing to accept anything Disney does...that's fine, but that doesn't make make people who want Disney to live up to its traditional standards of excellence "morons".

I actually kind of give up on WDW. Too much cost-cutting for me to visit again anytime soon. You are welcome to it.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Awesome. Glad it is back on. I think my second favorite effect is the steam.

EpcotServo: nice insight on the vulture. I was not aware of it's characteristics as you described. Now, I will probably waste too much spare time looking up more facts on it. Lol

RSoxNo1

I think the bird is fine as it is. The only thing that should or could change is some subtle changes in pitch or angle of the bird so it's not so static.

EpcotServo

Well it's kind of like when somebody tells a joke that the person they tell it to doesn't "get". The old adage says that if you have to explain what the joke means then it becomes kind of pointless. It's basically the same with a Disney attraction. If they put a "detail" in an attraction that makes people scratch their heads and wonder what the point was, then they probably didn't do a good job of explaining it... in the queue or anywhere else. I think putting all kinds of signs and other reading material up in the queue is, frankly, asking too much of guests to have to absorb for a less than 3 minute attraction. I've heard and read enough complaints and puzzlement about the bird that I think that's certainly the case with that element of Everest. And as you (or perhaps it was someone else, can't remember now) pointed out in this thread, even Joe Rhode was questioning whether or not to even put that detail into the attraction. That's usually a sign that it's better to leave it out. Right or wrong, I think more people come away thinking it was just a cheap prop than thinking it was some detail rooted in authenticity (whether or not they got that from reading about it while waiting in line). You clearly love it, and that's great (though I still think "freakin' awesome" is a tad over the top :lol:). But in terms of trying to appeal to the masses, I think Disney missed the mark on this one.

Again, if my expressing this opinion makes you "hostile" or "ticked off", I'm not sure the issue really lies with me. Know what I mean? :animwink:

Yes, I am surprised that expressing my honest opinion (one that appears to be shared by many) would elicit a "hostile reaction" or "tick (anyone) off". :wave:

Pardon me, If you think that that opinion is true, then you have a serious mental condition that requires help. Also you have the standards of a McDonalds in Hoover, Ohio.

What? That's an annoying stand-offish thing to say? But I'm just expressing my honest opinion?

Seriously, It's not what you said, it's how you said it that counts.

You were'nt even paying attention when I said I'm not even that big a fan of the vulture, just saying that the worst thing about Everest is still awesome in it's own right.

At the end of the day an effect which was designed into the attraction wasn`t working, and now after a long period of time it is.

And there it is, the light of reason.
:lol:

nor'easter

Only if you feel the effect was any good in the first place.

Couldn't they impale a Yeti on that stick? :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Only if you feel the effect was any good in the first place.
That`s beside the point. A minor effect was noticed, developed, solved, timetabled, budgeted, staffed and fixed.

The team that did this need to go to Dino. After the Yeti of course.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm sorry and Marni, I have the utmost respect for you...but...

How hard can it be to fix a friggin bird on a stick?!?!?!? :brick:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No, it is the very point of several of the posts in this thread. I guess some of us are ungrateful wretches for not appreciating that they fixed a weak effect.

Anyway, fix the yeti and all will be well.
Oh, don`t get me wrong. The Yeti is a travesty. I`m just happy that something small in the bigger scale of things got some attention and money spent on it to be how it should be.

Or am I missing some sarcasm? No offence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom