Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Thanks. I would have thought the cost would have come down considerably as this technology should have matured alot since that installation.

I was surprised that we didn't see it pop up in the DCA renovation, where they had a nice budget to work with and wanted to make a statement. Seems like they could have found a good application for it as a Carsland attraction supporting the Racers.

Rumor has it that Universal has an exclusive on the Kuka system, plus the freedom of movement on the 2D plane with trackless still seems like it would have some advantages over the arm. Maybe it will be the "next level" ride system after all.

Since the current HM flow is linear, how did you propose to take advantage of the trackless feature in your HM design? Be interesting to see how they use it in MM.

I have heard that they have simplified the trackless idea by going wire guided, which in fact is easier and probably cheaper. I too was surprised not to see it in the DCA upgrades, but we'll see what MM turns into.

The unique thing about free ranging vehicles is that when you don't have a track you can let them roam in a single scene for quite a while and collect more cars until they have to cycle out, so the experience is very different and they can interact with each other. So instead of riding through a graveyard scene for example, you can explore it, or join a "dance" and circle certain elements, or go backwards, change the route, etc. the potential is pretty interesting.

In TDL Pooh, we made one vehicle that has Heffalumps in it dressed as tourists that comes along side you as a surprise. Sort of like the hitchhiking ghosts gag.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I'm guessing Disney finally owns Oswald again?:D

It would work quite nicely...A nice nod to the past. And for the record, in the old Mickey Mouse Revue in the MK, the preshow featured the clip about Walt loosing Oswald and creating Mickey.:D

Iger bought the rights back in 2006. Was not aware of the nod in the MMR. Thx!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
It would be great if WDW could have a MS Cinema at all.

I agree. The Cinema is not the most popular thing in the park, but it's a great decompression zone. It's got AC and some great old MM cartoons. When my kids were little they loved going in there and we had to drag them out. It's comparatively well attended, in the late afternoon or toward closing there are quite a few guests. With so many AP's the little things must get used more. Now in my post WDI "twilight years":rolleyes: I like to do more passive things, like sit at Coke Corner or watch cartoons in the Cinema. Selfishly, I'd love to see more and different stuff in there. We fought to keep the DLP one but the real estate is so valuable, they won't give it up for something like that. Once it's gone, that's it.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Getting off on Ozwald tangent

Pretty cool that Oswald is back.:D I wonder if they would do anything with him besides Merch and vids. Wouldn't it be cool if he turned up in Toon Town Fair or something?:lol:

And anytime!:wave:

The first step is awareness. No one knows who he is. I think the DL AP's would end up watching the Ozwald cartoons in the Cinema and if the merch is across the street, then slowly you may sell a few things and build from there. DL has such a huge AP base now that it may be worth it to use this kind of grass roots approach. That watch thing I did years ago is totally AP targeted and it still makes a fortune. The cartoons are not amazing, but Oz is very similar in spirit to Mickey when he was a stick figure. Since DCA is about Mickey and Walt in the 20's then Oz may make sense there in some way.

Why did I buy a $45 T shirt? (I know. stupid. and no discount) It was well made, charcoal faded and had Ozwald in boxing stance looking really cool. It was insider and unique compared to all else in the park. I guess it's the story too, in that Oz was ripped off and that experience led to a breakthrough. The shirt is about creative rehab.

So I think there may even be a hip factor (lucky brand makes the shirts) to all of this that may even be a D23 kind of thing. Not sure. All I know is that it takes ALOT for me to buy anything Disney anymore, and my son wanted the shirt too. Hmmm.

EPCOT Explorer

The first step is awareness. No one knows who he is. I think the DL AP's would end up watching the Ozwald cartoons in the Cinema and if the merch is across the street, then slowly you may sell a few things and build from there. DL has such a huge AP base now that it may be worth it to use this kind of grass roots approach. That watch thing I did years ago is totally AP targeted and it still makes a fortune. The cartoons are not amazing, but Oz is very similar in spirit to Mickey when he was a stick figure. Since DCA is about Mickey and Walt in the 20's then Oz may make sense there in some way.

Why did I buy a $45 T shirt? (I know. stupid. and no discount) It was well made, charcoal faded and had Ozwald in boxing stance looking really cool. It was insider and unique compared to all else in the park. I guess it's the story too, in that Oz was ripped off and that experience led to a breakthrough. The shirt is about creative rehab.

So I think there may even be a hip factor (lucky brand makes the shirts) to all of this that may even be a D23 kind of thing. Not sure. All I know is that it takes ALOT for me to buy anything Disney anymore, and my son wanted the shirt too. Hmmm.

Well said!:wave:

I think it would be pretty easy to showcase him, and even do new things with him. I've heard people say that they can't have Mickey do new things because he's already defined and has his place in Disney history. ( I think that's a little bit silly...Why not have him do new things?)
But, if that is the case...why not have Oswald take that role?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Big news!

Wouldn't it be cool if he turned up in Toon Town Fair or something?:lol:

They could do a whole tabloid expose type thing at the Toonfair about how Mickey Mouse had plastic surgery done years ago and actually IS Ozwald the Rabbit! :fork: We'd see spy photos from his Hollywood surgeon of how his ears were shortened, etc. He had to heal on that train ride to NYC with Walt. Lillian was part of the scam too as she renamed him as part of the coverup. A lookalike was hired to continue as Ozwald and secretly went along to NY for the swap. Universal was paid off for their silence. From then on and you can see how Walter Lantz changed the lookalike and only then gave him a voice. "Mickey" as he's now known had his eyes done and of course, they added special pants and orthopedic shoes on him to cover his rabbit feet. Very convincing. Minnie was crushed when she learned in 1964 (Ozwald's first wife came forward) that she has been actually dating a Rabbit all these years. (Don't go there!). Now that the truth is out, all the hidden Mickey's would have to be changed to longer ears! :lol:

Actually...."It all started with a Rabbit";)

FantasyPurveyor

Merchandising

All I know is that it takes ALOT for me to buy anything Disney anymore, and my son wanted the shirt too. Hmmm.

While I'm probably a hardcore fan of Disney, my house has only two Disney items on display. A vintage Fantasyland 20k attraction poster and a very heavy copper lamp of Ariel thematically decorated in a Jules Verne style with a green sea glass shade. Why is that? Quite simply put, the merchandise offered is terrible.

Many of the premiere attractions at WDW utterly fail in their merchandise concept and strategy. When getting off of Expedition: Everest, why are we greeted with cheap t-shirts and plush? How is this merchandise in any way reflective and evocative of the highly themed environment around it? Others on here have derided the transformation of Main Street into a strip mall from one end to the other. I agree.

Why does the story end when we get off of the ride?

I'm headed to DLP in a few weeks as part of a larger trip to "The Continent". It will be my first experience of DLP and I'm eager to see how they have executed the merchandise strategy over there.

Eddie-- if so inclined, could you PM me-- I have a proposal for you. Thanks.

Great thread so far.

EPCOT Explorer

They could do a whole tabloid expose type thing at the Toonfair about how Mickey Mouse had plastic surgery done years ago and actually IS Ozwald the Rabbit! :fork: We'd see spy photos from his Hollywood surgeon of how his ears were shortened, etc. He had to heal on that train ride to NYC with Walt. Lillian was part of the scam too as she renamed him as part of the coverup. A lookalike was hired to continue as Ozwald and secretly went along to NY for the swap. Universal was paid off for their silence. From then on and you can see how Walter Lantz changed the lookalike and only then gave him a voice. "Mickey" as he's now known had his eyes done and of course, they added special pants and orthopedic shoes on him to cover his rabbit feet. Very convincing. Minnie was crushed when she learned in 1964 (Ozwald's first wife came forward) that she has been actually dating a Rabbit all these years. (Don't go there!). Now that the truth is out, all the hidden Mickey's would have to be changed to longer ears! :lol:

OMG!:ROFLOL::sohappy: I died laughing, reading this....I couldn't see Disney doing it, though, Eddie...:lookaroun:p

Vernonpush

Actually.... "It all started when Walt realized that he lost his Rabbit and then hired lawyers":lookaroun:lol:

RSoxNo1

Speaking of Oswald, I expected to see him weaved into the DCA plans, perhaps showing cartoons of him in the Carthay Theater?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

Figment632

Pretty cool that Oswald is back.:D I wonder if they would do anything with him besides Merch and vids. Wouldn't it be cool if he turned up in Toon Town Fair or something?:lol:

And anytime!:wave:

We had some nice stuff at TDS last year but I wouldnt get your hopes up. We were told that getting Oswald back was more cerimonial (for lack of a better word).

MiklCraw4d

I thought so. I was made to feel a part of that family again and so were many others who had gone who left like me. Marty had quite the guest list. There were some internal corporate parties too from what I hear. To me, it was really special, It was like graduating HS and going back 10 years later to find out that the combination to your old locker still works!

I've been away for a few days but also wanted to say that I really appreciated the stories from the party... The idea of being at an event with Alice Davis, Buzz Price, etc, etc... It's just unimaginable. How do you get tapped out for such a thing? I picture some gilt envelope arriving via owl.

The idea of having a drink or park walk with Bob Gurr is just astounding. That's living history - just amazing. An experience few of us will ever have. I think of all the people that I wanted to meet but now never will - Marc D., Hench, Frank & Ollie, etc...

Of course I wouldn't mind having a drink with Eddie either! :)

MiklCraw4d

It gets personal and really depressing. In my mind I can visualize these projects finished. I'm riding the thing in my head. When it dies, so do those visuals. It's hard. Especially when you have to break it to the team you just killed to build a presentation that went sour.

I can't imagine how difficult it must be, and you take it far better than I ever would, I think. I've never even set eyes on WDI and I'm still heartbroken about dozens of projects that never came to pass; some before I was born. The sheer capricious nature of fate throwing monkey wrenches into plans that are "sure things" - I still ache that the 1973 Oil Embargo killed so many great plans for WDW. I still grieve for WRE, or WESTCOT, or Port Disney, or Disney's America. Not cancelled because they were bad ideas, but because events of the day interfered. I can't imagine if the project that was cancelled was my own baby.

I had to recast a team for Indy at DL and that was hard as the Ride was still a "go" but management did not want the concept the team had done. I was brought in to start over with a new group. Tough audience. They actually had a day for that team to discuss and "mourn" the loss of the concept!
Really? How far along had that first team gone, and how was it different from what we got? And who would make the call to axe a project?

Having to spend 5 years building the wrong Main Street in France would be one, yes (1920's one was approved then killed). I had to make it something I could get behind so we slowly tweaked it into something more than the carbon copy of WDW they told us to build. It could have been so much more.

Yeesh. I can only imagine. While the Main Street you built looks lovely (I haven't had the opportunity to go there yet), I would have loved to have seen the original vision. It seems right for that park, somehow. Something of how we're viewed by the French through early cinema... Anyway, I've seen renderings so I know the aesthetic and the idea for the elevated railroad, but what were some of the other key features you'd like to have seen realized?

The other project was a ride system for TDL (which I was the design SVP for) that they wanted to lift from DL and I didn't think it was a good enough ride to be an E. I lost the vocal battle. I was forced to develop it on their turf and re-theme it at their cost and did so "under protest" which was made known.
This was REALLY interesting because I had no idea they had considered this. Where did they want to put it? Then again, JTTCOE is essentially a descendant of that ride system but with an actual ride built around the ride system. I'll bet that OLC was glad development took a while to get started so the Disneyland version could warn them off in time.

Sure. It was fun and did wonders for the kinetics of the land. But was it an E? or a D? That was the issue. Especially if it's not on an elevated beamway.

Did they not even want it on the beamway? Yeesh. I certainly wouldn't call it an E-ticket, but to me that designation depends entirely on having something to look at while you're riding - not just going fast.

Right or wrong, it felt like it was gonna be as thrilling as a normal car doing donuts in a parking lot. (I wanted to do this rocket powered motorcycle ride instead.)
This is exactly how I feel about Test Track. The only worthwhile part of the ride is the outside loop, and I can recreate that by driving on the interstate with my windows down (actually, I-40 moves faster than TT). The rest of the ride is driving over potholes and stuff, and I don't want to do that in real life, much less in a ride.

Cost and the right application. I was trying to make it the "next level" dark rides, but the Kuka robotic arm technology is hotter right now.. We even proposed a HM with that system! It looks like HKDL will do it according to the press release.

I think Kuka has a lot of potential. I long to design a Rocketeer attraction based on the Kuka. I'm a nerd. What was your HM proposal for?

They would have been better to keep the PeopleMover open.

Of course, I also still detest Test Track and consider it the most overrated attraction in WDW history (yeah, I subjected myself to it again last week)

Agree, and agree.

I honestly don't understand how that got greenlit. You'd think the engineers would've spoken up a bit more and convinced the imagineers and execs that it wouldn't work because of the speed and weak tracks.

The saga of Rocket Rods still baffles me to no end. I think it was really the convergence of all that was wrong with the Pressler era (well, DCA too...). Just how that could have gotten all the way to opening day while being so fundamentally flawed is still shocking.

It does indeed look promising, however I'm a little worried about the "mischievous monkey" plot line which looks a little cheesy. Still, it does look promising.
I find that aspect so incredibly bizarre that it has become part of the appeal to me. Maybe they can market it as Disney's most monkey-centric attraction to date..

That would be very cool, and I'm sure the more fan-heavy DL would eat it up. It would be great if WDW could have a MS Cinema at all.

YES. Please. And a Penny Arcade. And a Magic Shop. Grrrrrrrrrr....

I think it would be pretty easy to showcase him, and even do new things with him. I've heard people say that they can't have Mickey do new things because he's already defined and has his place in Disney history. ( I think that's a little bit silly...Why not have him do new things?)
But, if that is the case...why not have Oswald take that role?

This is something I've thought as well. If they insist on keeping Mickey as vanilla as possible - which I think is unnecessary and a mistake - I've often thought that they could bring Oswald back as the more mischievious prankster and swashbuckler. My esteem for Iger went through the roof when they announced the Oswald deal - seriously, how was that on anyone's radar who wasn't a nut like us? I think there's a lot of untapped potential with Oswald. I'd love to see him at DHS, maybe a little dark ride taking us through some of his black-and-white adventures in the 1920s. Something in the old Hollywood section...

WDW1974

$45 for a Tee?!??! Yep ... they certainly overpaid those Imagineers back in the 1990s!:D

Seriously, I do think it's part of a D23 collection of some sort. I didn't see them at WDW at all, but I do believe DL fans would eat the stuff up more than mass market WDW.

I had heard, don't know how true it is, that Oswald had some brand awarenes and fans in Japan when Universal controlled the rights. I'm reasonably sure that 99% of all folks who call themselves 'Disney fans' don't have a clue who he is or of his historic importance to TWDC.

It was a nice gesture of Bob to trade sportscaster Al Michaels to NBC for the rights to Oswald ... more to Diane Disney and her family, IMHO, than for any real use beyond merchandise. But putting him in the Cinema really makes a lot of sense to see what the reaction might be.

Personally, if Disney is going to resurrect a moribund bunny character I'd much rather see Roger since he opens up a plethora of possibilities both in animation and the parks. ... Oswald doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom