Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
i like to read this thread, but it seems to get lost with universal and DLP.:brick: And if you want real coasters, come to cedar point in ohio, the roller coaster capitol of the world! No theming, but truely intense!:wave: Eve with that said, nothing better than space mountain in the dark. 29 days left!

I did start this coaster thing by asking about the "Rip Ride Rockit" at Universal, but less for a thrill comparison and more for it's innovation in sync'd audio. If you just want to get into comparing coasters, you are right, there are parks out there with much more hard core stuff than Disney and those rides (like "Ghost Rider" at Knott's) are awesome.

This thread is intended to give you a chance to have an open conversation with an (ex)Imagineer. A rare thing on fansites (maybe the only one?). I'm trying use war stories and a bit of the past so readers can appreciate the complexity of an Imagineer's job beyond the "big idea". We've been able to avoid the personal attacks and whining in favor of some pretty fun debate. I've been blown away by some of the great discussions on here so far and impressed with the insights you all bring to the table. That's why I'm still here 100 pages in. Hope you will too.

There is a constructive way to be realistic about what goes on in the parks and we're proving it. Thanks to all of you so far! And if you're just lurking, come in and speak up.

WDW1974

I did start this coaster thing by asking about the "Rip Ride Rockit" at Universal, but less for a thrill comparison and more for it's innovation in sync'd audio. If you just want to get into comparing coasters, you are right, there are parks out there with much more hard core stuff than Disney and those rides (like "Ghost Rider" at Knott's) are awesome.

This thread is intended to give you a chance to have an open conversation with an (ex)Imagineer. A rare thing on fansites (maybe the only one?). I'm trying use war stories and a bit of the past so readers can appreciate the complexity of an Imagineer's job beyond the "big idea". We've been able to avoid the personal attacks and whining in favor of some pretty fun debate. I've been blown away by some of the great discussions on here so far and impressed with the insights you all bring to the table. That's why I'm still here 100 pages in. Hope you will too.

There is a constructive way to be realistic about what goes on in the parks and we're proving it. Thanks to all of you so far! And if you're just lurking, come in and speak up.

It's a great thread, Eddie. And I hope it will continue.

I'll be bowing out shortly since I will be on the road most of next month and need to cut down my online play time.

BTW, if I drop your name will they give me a free meal at Walt's?:lol:

Anyway, I'll be PMing you when I firm up my LA schedule as I hope to get to Rivera ... and I don't think it'll be on 9/20!

I am curious, though, how often do you make it down to Anaheim these days?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
It's a great thread, Eddie. And I hope it will continue.

I'll be bowing out shortly since I will be on the road most of next month and need to cut down my online play time.

BTW, if I drop your name will they give me a free meal at Walt's?:lol:

Anyway, I'll be PMing you when I firm up my LA schedule as I hope to get to Rivera ... and I don't think it'll be on 9/20!

I am curious, though, how often do you make it down to Anaheim these days?

Have a fun trip and enjoy DLP if you can get past the peeling paint. I think you have a better chance of getting a free DLP meal by dropping a rubber cockroach on the plate than dropping my name. Don't say you "are" me then they may start whining about the upkeep or the merchandise. Say you are Mickey Roarke and they'll give you anything. I do get down to DL on occasion (Marty's window was the last time), so I get a check up from "Shrunken Ned" if he's running, but I have to be in the mood to go and that can be every few months. Keep in touch on Rivera. Bon chance!

WDW1974

Have a fun trip and enjoy DLP if you can get past the peeling paint. I think you have a better chance of getting a free DLP meal by dropping a rubber cockroach on the plate than dropping my name. Don't say you "are" me then they may start whining about the upkeep or the merchandise. Say you are Mickey Roarke and they'll give you anything. I do get down to DL on occasion (Marty's window was the last time), so I get a check up from "Shrunken Ned" if he's running, but I have to be in the mood to go and that can be every few months. Keep in touch on Rivera. Bon chance!

Walt's food and service have never let me down. It's a can't miss. Getting served lamb when I ordered steak and then getting a steak that someone had sent back at Silver Spur (and clearly cut a piece out of it) was a bit more of an issue.

Any places you enjoy dining at beyond Walt's?

On a seperate matter entirely, on another thread there's a discussion in which the concepts 'Fire Mountain' and 'Bald Mountain' have been tossed out.

I know FM was at least a realistic blue sky concept for MK, but I have never been able to confirm that BM existed in any form ... and friends with Glendale connections have told me it's the creation of fanbois in cyberspace.

What, if anything, can you tell the group about these?

_Scar

Walt's food and service have never let me down. It's a can't miss. Getting served lamb when I ordered steak and then getting a steak that someone had sent back at Silver Spur (and clearly cut a piece out of it) was a bit more of an issue.

On a seperate matter entirely, on another thread there's a discussion in which the concepts 'Fire Mountain' and 'Bald Mountain' have been tossed out.

I know FM was at least a realistic blue sky concept for MK, but I have never been able to confirm that BM existed in any form ... and friends with Glendale connections have told me it's the creation of fanbois in cyberspace.

What, if anything, can you tell the group about these?

Bald Mountain did sound way too cool to be true.

Jasonflz

Bald Mountain did sound way too cool to be true.

It does seem hard to believe another major coaster at the Magic Kingdom. Not saying that it is impossible but very, highly unlikely.

Just as unlikely to get Raging Spirits in Adventureland.

misterID

I always thought there should be a big thrill ride in each four corners of WDW. I never thought it was a great idea having 2 rides that are nearly identical (Splash and Bald mountain) in the same park, though.

But if they are planning to make Beastly Kingdom they couldn't use Fire Mountain there? Even Bald Mountain themed to Fantasia? I just sucks ideas like those get thrown out.

Eddie, were there any plans for new attractions or refurb existing attractions you thought were cool that didn't happen, that people don't know about?

_Scar

Id rather have the TDS Indy ride or something Pocahontas. She'd be the only princess in that corner of the park and she, to me, represents the spirit of adventure that adventureland should have. But, a great Pocahontas ride would be a flume ride going down the waterfall, so that wouldn't quite work out. I'd love to see raging spirits though tbqh. It looks VERY VERY cool! It's TDS quality.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, were there any plans for new attractions or refurb existing attractions you thought were cool that didn't happen, that people don't know about?

First off, I don't know of any new "mountains" being planned Bald or otherwise, but as I've said before, tens years gone, I'm pretty far out of the loop. I have not heard.

One of the things I worked on that I would have liked to have seen done was the Swiss Pavilion at EPCOT with a Matterhorn Ride as the backdrop. Other projects that never made it were a redo of the DL Sub ride where you explore the Titanic then escape the trapped sub into Atlantis. The DL Indy Ride where you took the JC to get there. Of course "Lafitte's Island" at DL, "Sci-Fi City" for TDL, "Dragon's Lair" in the Castle for DL, and the 20th Anniversary enhancements for POTC to name a few.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

Blue Lagoon in Pirates and Cendrillon Chateau in Fantasyland are cool atmosphere. And Plaza Gardens for a square meal without having to deal with service. The Market House is nice if you sit in the window.

DougK

Eddie,
This has honestly been the best thread ever. Thank you very much!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Duty calls... or maybe it 's just work.

I'm "hitting the road" and will be offline indefinitely so you guys will have to take it from here.

Thanks to all of you for a great job, keep it up!

For those of you who just dropped in, there are lots of stories and links to interesting stuff on this thread. Rehash it if you like. We invite you to weed through and check out some of the fun discussions. Enjoy!

MiklCraw4d

This thread is intended to give you a chance to have an open conversation with an (ex)Imagineer. A rare thing on fansites (maybe the only one?). I'm trying use war stories and a bit of the past so readers can appreciate the complexity of an Imagineer's job beyond the "big idea".

I think you are the only one of recent vintage; George McGinnis is good enough to post to a Horizons listserv that I'm on. This thread has, in fact, made me think more about the process that Imagineers have to go through in a less simplistic way. I really appreciate your taking the time.

First off, I don't know of any new "mountains" being planned Bald or otherwise, but as I've said before, tens years gone, I'm pretty far out of the loop. I have not heard.

These would have actually been during your tenure; they were all the rage in Disney gossip around 1997-8. Fire Mountain for Adventureland and Bald Mountain for Fantasyland. I remember the hoopla when they were supposed to have been doing balloon sight-line tests for Fire Mountain. They were just as prominently rumored as the Fantasyland remodel is today; I'd always wondered if they were real or not.

One of the things I worked on that I would have liked to have seen done was the Swiss Pavilion at EPCOT with a Matterhorn Ride as the backdrop. Other projects that never made it were a redo of the DL Sub ride where you explore the Titanic then escape the trapped sub into Atlantis. The DL Indy Ride where you took the JC to get there. Of course "Lafitte's Island" at DL, "Sci-Fi City" for TDL, "Dragon's Lair" in the Castle for DL, and the 20th Anniversary enhancements for POTC to name a few.
Oh so! I didn't know you had worked on the Swiss pavilion! Whenever you return, I'd love to hear as much as you could tell about that, as EPCOT is my main interest. I really wanted to see that built. Do you know anything of the Japan pavilion additions that were rumored at the same time?

I've been going back through the threads and on other sites, and trying to piece together the story of Sci-Fi City. I know that TDL's Tomorrowland doesn't have an existing WEDway track like DL had for the Rocket Rods, so were the Rocket Bikes just intended to run on the ground in their own designated area, or would they run throughout Tomorrowland on a new "second floor," so to speak?

As to Disneyland, I'm interested in the process and timeline by which the Lucas idea developed, was abandoned, and 2055 came about. There seems to be some confusion online - was your Millennium Falcon-inspired alien zoo/battling robots a separate concept from Plectu? It's sometimes as interesting to see how ideas depart or morph into something else...

Questions questions :) I am excited that you worked on Switzerland, though. I wonder if we'll ever see something new in World Showcase...

Duty calls... or maybe it 's just work.

Work?? When there's the internet?!

WDW1974

These would have actually been during your tenure; they were all the rage in Disney gossip around 1997-8. Fire Mountain for Adventureland and Bald Mountain for Fantasyland. I remember the hoopla when they were supposed to have been doing balloon sight-line tests for Fire Mountain. They were just as prominently rumored as the Fantasyland remodel is today; I'd always wondered if they were real or not.

Yeah. Those were definitely during Eddie's tenure or just after it.

But FM exisited ... at least in blue sky form.

Bald Mountain clearly didn't. Some fanboi made it up at his computer on some Disney site 7-8-9 years ago and it took off ... but it has no basis in reality.

If it did, then rest assured some Imagineer or ex-Imagineer would have actually heard of it inside WDI's compound.

MiklCraw4d

Yeah. Those were definitely during Eddie's tenure or just after it.

But FM exisited ... at least in blue sky form.

Bald Mountain clearly didn't. Some fanboi made it up at his computer on some Disney site 7-8-9 years ago and it took off ... but it has no basis in reality.

If it did, then rest assured some Imagineer or ex-Imagineer would have actually heard of it inside WDI's compound.

I know both of them were popularized by one of Jim Hill's earlier incarnations... lemme see if I can find a link...

Here ya go... enjoy the hilarity!

MiklCraw4d

Oh I remember that web page, that was legendary back then for that rumor. Thanks for digging it up!

Haha... You're welcome. It took some digging, but it's funny because I remembered it so vividly. It's amazing to look at that page and realize that it was the cutting edge of Disney rumors back in the day. More than ten years ago! How times flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom