Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOT Explorer

The center has ways to fine-tune the acoustics, but the broadway companies that come in generally don't use it.
As for the museum, I totally agree. It used to be much better, and since has gotten very stale. The gravity clock does generally work, though.
And the Riverwalk and entire A&E district has been rather dead, but it's getting better, and from what I heard there was a humongous flamenco festival that used a lot of the area recently. As a former usher for BCPA, you would be surprised about how much the theater is actually used. It's generally booked every weekend.
Of course, I may have a bit of a bias due to other factors.

Ah, that makes sense. Shows just for here were generally better, I guess.

As for the Museum...Hopefully it will get better with all the expansion it's getting. I can't wait to see the finished product.

So....Back to Eddie and Disney? :lol: Liking the New Orleans DVC idea, Mike...

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Let's take the hotel thing to another level where you set the hotel in a location with a mythic past. I always liked the idea of the Atlantis Resort in Nassau, but there could be more. Like if I did a hotel in Scotland I'd have the Loch Ness Monster swimming in the pool for the kids to meet ala the Water Horse. Imagine the LOTR resort in New Zealand? Push it out more.

EPCOT Explorer

Let's take the hotel thing to another level where you set the hotel in a location with a mythic past. I always liked the idea of the Atlantis Resort in Nassau, but there could be more. Like if I did a hotel in Scotland I'd have the Loch Ness Monster swimming in the pool for the kids to meet ala the Water Horse. Imagine the LOTR resort in New Zealand? Push it out more.

Heh. That's interesing...An Egypt Hotel. That would be something.

And I had a random thought today...Why not build a Hotel for EPCOT in the shape of the old EPCOT City Building?:D
epcotcutaway.jpg

That would be a AWESOME nod to the past, and a very cool project for the present. Almost like a Contemporary.

Kinda wish they did that instead of the BLT...

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Heh. That's interesing...An Egypt Hotel. That would be something.

And I had a random thought today...Why not build a Hotel for EPCOT in the shape of the old EPCOT City Building?:D
epcotcutaway.jpg

That would be a AWESOME nod to the past, and a very cool project for the present. Almost like a Contemporary.

Kinda wish they did that instead of the BLT...

Now we've come full circle as the progress city hotel/DVC was one of our first discussions!

rooneymouse

The Louisiana and New Orleans of today are very different from that of the 60's. Sure, remnants of the old crowd still exist, but that is the same situation around the country. You are doing our city and our state a disservice by perpetuating negative stereotypes. The Six Flags example is terrible btw. They've been trying to get out of the deal since Katrina. If anyone is wrong, it's them.

To all out there in the interwebs, New Orleans and Louisiana are still recovering from the hurricanes, but we've come a long way. The BCS, NCAA, NBA, NFL and countless other businesses have put their faith in the area, and we have not disappointed. Like every other major city, we have our problems, but we're trying to overcome them. The food, the people, the history, and the culture down here in Louisiana are unparalleled.

A Disney resort in New Orleans could be a huge success if done correctly. There is a large Disney fan base in Louisiana.

*steps down from soap box*

I agree New Orleans and Louisiana as a whole has greatly improved as both a tourist destination and as a place to do business since the 1960's, but there are still many hurtles to overcome.

I would hope that a large corporation like Disney would one day believe enough in this great city to invest in its turn around. But until we have a transparent government in the city that is not under the constant cloud of possible corruption I can not see it happening. (hopefully the new mayor that will come into office next year can restore faith in the office)

As for New Orleans as an entertainment and sports destination, the city has always proven that it can host large events better than anywhere else in the world.

But we need to be more than just the Superdome and French Quarter. Investors stay away because of crime and political difficulties. New Orleans needs to tackle poverty which continues to grow since Katrina and fuels the crime that strangles this great city.

Sorry my point was not clear, I am not a great communicator, but all I was trying to say is that as long as New Orleans makes it difficult to do business in or with the city, large investors will stay out. My original comment was a poor attempt voicing my disappointment with the current leadership at City Hall.

And I agree that Disney has a huge fan base here. I see the whole city at WDW during Mardi Gras every year. I guess we feel the need to make room for the tourists.

HMF

Part of the problem was fear mongering by local "elites" and the "spin" that the name of the park some how implied Disney owned America.

I still think that park needs to be built... even if they have to do it in Florida.
I for one' would oppose it.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I for one' would oppose it.

"Disney's America" as a name triggers up all kinds of "red flags" in today's world. It creates the expectation that somehow "America" as Disney sees it will be spun to you in a way that is overtly sanitizes history. Main Street does that. It is not the 19th century, it's how you wished it was. So make that "Disney's America" and many think your out there to editorialize or trivialize history.

I get that, but if you ask me, (no one is so I'm going to) I would hope that the Disney-ness in any "America" would not attempt to sanitize or rewrite history as was the custom in the 50's, but rather to call attention to the great basic principles in the past that led to good results. It would rekindle our collective better nature and inspire us as a people to achieve what we all are capable of in our future, realizing that we are more likely to do that as a collective of great talents driven to be better, than just going it alone.

But as you can see, when you are in the entertainment business even themes become overtly political. Nothing is simple. (Let's just do a cool waterslide by the hotel pool and be done with it).

Figment571

^ I can completely see that, how even simple things can be taken as political statments that left or right could see as an "attack" on "their basic principles or values". Yet, you also pose another interesting question that involves everyday life, how does one inspire people to try to work harder and to come to the realization that the future must be seen as something that is worked towards, that it is not merely abritrary forces that push us down a stream to the future, that we are in control of our destiny and future.
It seems, for a while, Disneyland accomplished that in some form, it showed America's past, how pioneers forged ahead into the unknown, and what possiblities lay ahead into a future that man commanded. Even EPCOT in some regard still shows this principle, yet it seems that more cynicism and fear of the future has emerged within general society.

So I do think that there should be something that really brings out those great themes that have echoed through American history that help to suggest that, if we are in want of a better future, we must be the authors it. Even if it does step on a few toes, contreversy will pass over when it's effects truly shine thru. As Thomas Jefferson said, " If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
^ I can completely see that, how even simple things can be taken as political statments that left or right could see as an "attack" on "their basic principles or values". Yet, you also pose another interesting question that involves everyday life, how does one inspire people to try to work harder and to come to the realization that the future must be seen as something that is worked towards, that it is not merely abritrary forces that push us down a stream to the future, that we are in control of our destiny and future.
It seems, for a while, Disneyland accomplished that in some form, it showed America's past, how pioneers forged ahead into the unknown, and what possiblities lay ahead into a future that man commanded. Even EPCOT in some regard still shows this principle, yet it seems that more cynicism and fear of the future has emerged within general society.

Sure. But how can you tell that in a way that does not preach? To me, "entertainment" is no different than "education". It only becomes such when the audience realizes they are being "educated" versus purely entertained. Everything is educational at some level. In the Haunted Mansion, no one protests the occult because it is obvious that the HM is supernaturally based and so those who don't want that don't go. When a show advertises itself as one thing and ends up as propaganda is another.

I think the "win" is when the audience buys into the advertised premise and somewhere along the way you exceed expectation into a new area, and because you delivered so far they trust you to take them further and that is when they are enlightened or really glean something. It's not the bait and switch. Pixar does this by promising and delivering on "fun with toys" and once we love the toys, were left with a story about friendship.

Missing20K

Sure. But how can you tell that in a way that does not preach? To me, "entertainment" is no different than "education". It only becomes such when the audience realizes they are being "educated" versus purely entertained. Everything is educational at some level. In the Haunted Mansion, no one protests the occult because it is obvious that the HM is supernaturally based and so those who don't want that don't go. When a show advertises itself as one thing and ends up as propaganda is another.

I think the "win" is when the audience buys into the advertised premise and somewhere along the way you exceed expectation into a new area, and because you delivered so far they trust you to take them further and that is when they are enlightened or really glean something. It's not the bait and switch. Pixar does this by promising and delivering on "fun with toys" and once we love the toys, were left with a story about friendship.

I love this idea. Particularly how it could be utilized in "real" world design. To have a "user" enter into a space, or utilize a design, expecting and demanding one thing, and once in the space or using the "design", experiencing not only their expectations, but experiencing something far beyond their expectations. Or, having a user "use" a space in not only the way they expected, but having the space "inform" the user, to use the space in an unexpected way. Have you, or how would you, incorporate this idea into "real" world design?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I love this idea. Particularly how it could be utilized in "real" world design. To have a "user" enter into a space, or utilize a design, expecting and demanding one thing, and once in the space or using the "design", experiencing not only their expectations, but experiencing something far beyond their expectations. Or, having a user "use" a space in not only the way they expected, but having the space "inform" the user, to use the space in an unexpected way. Have you, or how would you, incorporate this idea into "real" world design?

Exceeding expectation in unexpected, but aspirationally natural ways is the nature of what we do. Rivera sets an expectation of a pan latin dining experience (so most think gourmet mexican), but once inside no one expects to be in a tequila tasting chair, or that the food comes with graphics stenciled on them! We take it progressively further, while still giving you tortillas.

www.riverarestaurant.com

Same with ClubAston, you come to an Aston Martin dealer expecting to see one, maybe you've seen them in Bond films in the past. It's their heritage beyond racing. But what you don't know is that you will slowly begin to experience the car AS James Bond would have. There is a fantasy element that creeps into the buying process. (You have to build to these changes gradually and not drop them on people).

The ClubAston project starts with the salesman opening a plain steel door via thumb reader hidden behind the Jaguar dealership that sends you up a stair and into a cylindrical leather "airlock". The red cushions part with a "pffft" revealing a private fireside lounge with a Aston DB9 flanking a cocktail bar (kind of a wow moment).. Then you learn that all of it supports the story of the car. The Bar doubles as an interactive design studio where you pick swatches from velvet trays with a Martini (or whatever) to create your car onscreen. They run DVD's of the DB history/engineering from the sofa, or cater food up there while you shop. You may leave for a drive, but it's all in private, very low key. Celebs love the privacy. Beyond the car is a giant Vault door that has your Aston waiting on the other side. Nice way to reveal the car when you return and it's there. It's also designed to immerse you in an alternate world that allows you to relax and let your guard down a bit. I wanted the salesperson to be anything but that. In the Club, he or she is a more of a host tending bar, etc. You are oriented on a sofa by the fire, not a desk negotiating in an office, although there is one. Each element is softly established, then pays off a little bigger than expected. You thought you were there to see a car in it's "natural surroundings" and that met expectations, then we take you progressive further and you let us do that becuase we already lived up to the promise (and at the same time deeper into the content of what the car is about, not just opulence for it's own sake). All in, the client asked us to "blow away a Billionaire" so we did our best.

I posted a video here. http://gallery.me.com/boss_angeles/100267

yankspy

"Disney's America" as a name triggers up all kinds of "red flags" in today's world. It creates the expectation that somehow "America" as Disney sees it will be spun to you in a way that is overtly sanitizes history. Main Street does that. It is not the 19th century, it's how you wished it was. So make that "Disney's America" and many think your out there to editorialize or trivialize history.

I get that, but if you ask me, (no one is so I'm going to) I would hope that the Disney-ness in any "America" would not attempt to sanitize or rewrite history as was the custom in the 50's, but rather to call attention to the great basic principles in the past that led to good results. It would rekindle our collective better nature and inspire us as a people to achieve what we all are capable of in our future, realizing that we are more likely to do that as a collective of great talents driven to be better, than just going it alone.

But as you can see, when you are in the entertainment business even themes become overtly political. Nothing is simple. (Let's just do a cool waterslide by the hotel pool and be done with it).
If the many issues could have been worked out, I would have loved to have seen it. I watched that whole thing unravel and became intimate with many of the players years later.

The way I see it is that attractions like HOP and AA do a far better job at telling the story than do any of the films that you see at Mt. Vernon or Gettysburg. Heck, Mt. Vernon now has a Philharmagic style movie now complete with fake snow at Valley Forge that falls on the audience. My point is that I believe the sanitization could have been kept to a minimum and that it already exists in many of these historical sites anyway. Even in terms of merchandising, a Mickey plush dressed in colonial garb is no cheesier than the tons of shot glasses and magnets that are readily available at many of these sites today.

hack2112

Eddie, after seeing that video, ClubAston is dead sexy. Screw the car, I just want that room, complete with secret entrance.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
If the many issues could have been worked out, I would have loved to have seen it. I watched that whole thing unravel and became intimate with many of the players years later.

The way I see it is that attractions like HOP and AA do a far better job at telling the story than do any of the films that you see at Mt. Vernon or Gettysburg. Heck, Mt. Vernon now has a Philharmagic style movie now complete with fake snow at Valley Forge that falls on the audience. My point is that I believe the sanitization could have been kept to a minimum and that it already exists in many of these historical sites anyway. Even in terms of merchandising, a Mickey plush dressed in colonial garb is no cheesier than the tons of shot glasses and magnets that are readily available at many of these sites today.

How true is that? As good as the French Quarter or other historic sites may be, typically, save for the coffee table books, the merchandise is not well done and there is usually a cheese factor somewhere. I loved the John Adams series on HBO and if that was in 3D it would have been awesome.

To me the best fake/real thing in this realm is the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, a place Walt visited and inspired (ripped off) the premise of DL.
It was the primary piece of research for DLP Main Street as it was a source beyond Marceline. Not sanitized but somehow it unites. Look for the similarities in the layout. Main Street? A Riverboat? Train around the perimeter? Hmmmm.

http://www.hfmgv.org/village/index.aspx

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, after seeing that video, ClubAston is dead sexy. Screw the car, I just want that room, complete with secret entrance.

It was a fun project to work on but the idea came from the client. I met the client on a plane in the wee hours coming back from London. He was seated at one of those sit down bars Virgin has in the middle of the 747. I offered to make this guy a Martini as everyone else was asleep. Very nice man. We chatted and he noticed I had paused "Diamonds are Forever" on my Mac. He said he loved Bond films as well and wanted to do a private VIP Aston dealership that would feel like Bond, but wasn't happy with how it was coming out and could not find anyone that could pull it off. I could not believe what I was hearing! I about spewed my vodka across the cabin! I had my card out faster than you can say "Goldeneye". We sat next to each other and planned out the space. By the end of the flight he predicted that we would be heading back to London together soon and pitching it to Aston. He was right!

Missing20K

Exceeding expectation in unexpected, but aspirationally natural ways is the nature of what we do. Rivera sets an expectation of a pan latin dining experience (so most think gourmet mexican), but once inside no one expects to be in a tequila tasting chair, or that the food comes with graphics stenciled on them! We take it progressively further, while still giving you tortillas.

www.riverarestaurant.com

Same with ClubAston, you come to an Aston Martin dealer expecting to see one, maybe you've seen them in Bond films in the past. It's their heritage beyond racing. But what you don't know is that you will slowly begin to experience the car AS James Bond would have. There is a fantasy element that creeps into the buying process. (You have to build to these changes gradually and not drop them on people).

The ClubAston project starts with the salesman opening a plain steel door via thumb reader hidden behind the Jaguar dealership that sends you up a stair and into a cylindrical leather "airlock". The red cushions part with a "pffft" revealing a private fireside lounge with a Aston DB9 flanking a cocktail bar (kind of a wow moment).. Then you learn that all of it supports the story of the car. The Bar doubles as an interactive design studio where you pick swatches from velvet trays with a Martini (or whatever) to create your car onscreen. They run DVD's of the DB history/engineering from the sofa, or cater food up there while you shop. You may leave for a drive, but it's all in private, very low key. Celebs love the privacy. Beyond the car is a giant Vault door that has your Aston waiting on the other side. Nice way to reveal the car when you return and it's there. It's also designed to immerse you in an alternate world that allows you to relax and let your guard down a bit. I wanted the salesperson to be anything but that. In the Club, he or she is a more of a host tending bar, etc. You are oriented on a sofa by the fire, not a desk negotiating in an office, although there is one. Each element is softly established, then pays off a little bigger than expected. You thought you were there to see a car in it's "natural surroundings" and that met expectations, then we take you progressive further and you let us do that becuase we already lived up to the promise (and at the same time deeper into the content of what the car is about, not just opulence for it's own sake). All in, the client asked us to "blow away a Billionaire" so we did our best.

I posted a video here. http://gallery.me.com/boss_angeles/100267

I really need to get to LA so I can see Rivera in person. It is truly unique. A quick question about Rivera. How much collaboration did you and the architect participate in? Did you design the "experience" and he designed the "guts", or were you both intimately involved in all aspects? I assume you did most of the concept art and sketches.

Wow! I wish I had the money to go buy an Aston Martin. I wonder if I can fake it just to experience the space. I pray I get to design something as profoundly "cool" as that someday.

And great story about how you came about the commission for ClubAston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom