Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOT Explorer

St. Augustine? That's like stepping back in time. Even parts of St. Petersberg.

It depends on where you vistit in America where keeping their culture is very important. Visit Charleston and Savannah, also. Austin Texas. Even parts of Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga.

Agreed. I'm talking about Miami here.:lol:

And I have visited.;) Fantastic cities. So rich in this land culture and history. Everything is *real* there. Not built in the last decade. It has a story.

No question, but IMHO LED as a product is still in it's infancy (as to it's lifespan under heated conditions and reliability when dimmed (flickering). I think it needs a few years under it's belt before I'm jumping into it head first. If I can legally use a perfect reproduction on an Edison bulb then I'm gonna do that, and use LED for indirect lighting or other areas as long as the color temperature can be consistent with the Edisons.

True. The easiest way to maintain the show will be to keep using the Real McCoy. For some reason, I feel that if Disney really wants to keep Edison bulbs, they will try to find a way. They managed to influence copyright law and find a loophole in personal firearms on employees. Maybe they will find or make an exception for entertainment that requires them for show purposes (what would Broadway be without incandescent bulbs lighting the marquees? How about a carnival ride with CFLs?).

As for the maturity of the technology, I think I'm going to look into how the US government plans on enforcing this ban. If they plan on having the bulbs off the shelves by 2012-2014 (depending on the wattage), then there's much less time than if they simply stop production at that point. Either way, I am confident that the potential loss of income to bulb manufacturers will motivate them to produce a low energy equivalent (though without a filament...which is clearly a big difference for the show).

Did I kill the thread? I really hope not. :cry:

New topic. With the D23 EXPO around the corner and the Blue Sky Cellar in DLR recently updated, it feels like a throwback to Walt's own attempts to build anticipation through his TV specials. As a former imagineer, is it difficult to have concept art released to the public, knowing full well that while the project may be greenlit, the final product may not be anywhere near the released concept art?

While Disneyphiles really eat up every bit of art and details we can get, I feel that it builds anticipation too great to the point that fans expect the perfection that they've imagined. I know you've touched on the impossibility of perfection in the beginning of the thread, but I was wondering how the pre-release of artwork and concepts affects the project, if at all.

jt04

Agreed. I'm talking about Miami here.:lol:

And I have visited.;) Fantastic cities. So rich in this land culture and history. Everything is *real* there. Not built in the last decade. It has a story.

Miami is really a young city in the history of the US. It has always had a bit of an identity crisis as a result. But you do have some interesting museums (Vizcaya, Railroad museum). Little Havannah, the Everglades, Miami Beach and Coconut Grove. It really has not been around long enough to have much history.

Speaking of the Everglades, Ken Burns is doing a series next month on the history of US National Parks. That will be steeped in American culture and history.

We are drifting between posts by ES.

EPCOT Explorer

Miami is really a young city in the history of the US. It has always had a bit of an identity crisis as a result. But you do have some interesting museums (Vizcaya, Railroad museum). Little Havannah, the Everglades, Miami Beach and Coconut Grove. It really has not been around long enough to have much history.

Speaking of the Everglades, Ken Burns is doing a series next month on the history of US National Parks. That will be steeped in American culture and history.

We are drifting between posts by ES.

Trust me, I have those down pat.:D:lol:
Vizcaya is the only thing on that list to still WOW me. I love how historical it is. Even if everything has been moved away FROM Europe.:lol: I was just there last month.
Rail Museum is a meh....I would rather do Metro Zoo which is a stone's throw away. Little Havannah? Miami Beach? The Grove? All nice...But eh. Compared to Georgetown, or Savannah, or Richmond....There is no comparison.
The Everglades is lovely for a first or even 4th time visitor. However, after the 60th visit....I've seen enough gators and had enough bug bites.

Fort Lauderdale has some interesting spots, too. Lighthouses, Stranahan house...And we are not too far from the Keys (Love them!) and there's a pretty Magical spot only 3 hours north.:D

As for a identity crisis? I agree wholeheartedly. We used to be a trade city. Then, a "southern" city. Now? A mishmash that does not know which way is up. I am all for diversity, and ALL for the proliferation of foreign cultures (Hello, WS!) but a city that celebrates foreign holidays with more fanfare than July 4th frustrates me.

But then again, I'm a resident. Maybe I've worn it all out. However, I always think to myself...If I lived in DC, or NYC...Would I wear that out too? I doubt that. It's always there, and always changing. Miami always seems to be the same to me.

hack2112

Trust me, I have those down pat.:D:lol:
Vizcaya is the only thing on that list to still WOW me. I love how historical it is. Even if everything has been moved away FROM Europe.:lol: I was just there last month.
Rail Museum is a meh....I would rather do Metro Zoo which is a stone's throw away. Little Havannah? Miami Beach? The Grove? All nice...But eh. Compared to Georgetown, or Savannah, or Richmond....There is no comparison.
The Everglades is lovely for a first or even 4th time visitor. However, after the 60th visit....I've seen enough gators and had enough bug bites.

Fort Lauderdale has some interesting spots, too. Lighthouses, Stranahan house...And we are not too far from the Keys (Love them!) and there's a pretty Magical spot only 3 hours north.:D

As for a identity crisis? I agree wholeheartedly. We used to be a trade city. Then, a "southern" city. Now? A mishmash that does not know which way is up. I am all for diversity, and ALL for the proliferation of foreign cultures (Hello, WS!) but a city that celebrates foreign holidays with more fanfare than July 4th frustrates me.

But then again, I'm a resident. Maybe I've worn it all out. However, I always think to myself...If I lived in DC, or NYC...Would I wear that out too? I doubt that. It's always there, and always changing. Miami always seems to be the same to me.
Living in SoFL, I have to agree, it doesn't really change much. However, one building that always wows me is the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. I thing the main theater is incredibly beautiful.

And that Science Museum across the street has some fun stuff in there too.

EPCOT Explorer

Living in SoFL, I have to agree, it doesn't really change much. However, one building that always wows me is the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. I thing the main theater is incredibly beautiful.

And that Science Museum across the street has some fun stuff in there too.

Agreed and agreed. It's a beautiful center. Caught a few shows, there, too. It's nice, but the sound acoustics need some work. Some of the audio can echo.

The museum needs some work. It used to be awesome back in the 90's....but I hear it's getting some help. Got a few grants for expansion. I just hope they get the Gravity Clock working again.:lol: Some new exhibits would work well, too. Right now it's a bit too Innoventions-ish.:lookaroun

That whole district could be awesome...Las Olas, especially. But, it sits dead. Kinda depressing. In any other city that would be a vibrant River Community. But here? Nope. Museum is stale, the theater is a tad underused and the Riverfront is dead.:(

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
While Disneyphiles really eat up every bit of art and details we can get, I feel that it builds anticipation too great to the point that fans expect the perfection that they've imagined. I know you've touched on the impossibility of perfection in the beginning of the thread, but I was wondering how the pre-release of artwork and concepts affects the project, if at all.

It's funny how unbuilt projects live forever in the concept art. What gets built never is as good as the project that wasn't. Long live Sci-Fi City!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
St. Augustine? That's like stepping back in time. Even parts of St. Petersberg.

I think part of the new WDC hotel strategy is to think of those great cities like New Orleans with the French Quarter, etc, as the "theme park" they service. So if you theme yourself to be like St. Augustine and compliment it and give better tours, etc. then you've made these real adventures into a "Resort" experience. You get a themed experience without building the park!

"Disney's America" was controversial because they were taking on telling the story in bricks and mortar. It was competitive with and had to be compared to real experiences. It was "Disney's" America next to the real one. So that went over like a lead balloon in real Virginia. So...who can argue with embracing real places and making a Hawaiian hotel that has the Disney touch and Tiki pool for the kids, etc. and is your HQ to see real stuff like a Volcano?

I like this approach if the hotel is "Disney" quality and better than what's already there.

hack2112

Agreed and agreed. It's a beautiful center. Caught a few shows, there, too. It's nice, but the sound acoustics need some work. Some of the audio can echo.

The museum needs some work. It used to be awesome back in the 90's....but I hear it's getting some help. Got a few grants for expansion. I just hope they get the Gravity Clock working again.:lol: Some new exhibits would work well, too. Right now it's a bit too Innoventions-ish.:lookaroun

That whole district could be awesome...Las Olas, especially. But, it sits dead. Kinda depressing. In any other city that would be a vibrant River Community. But here? Nope. Museum is stale, the theater is a tad underused and the Riverfront is dead.:(
The center has ways to fine-tune the acoustics, but the broadway companies that come in generally don't use it.
As for the museum, I totally agree. It used to be much better, and since has gotten very stale. The gravity clock does generally work, though.
And the Riverwalk and entire A&E district has been rather dead, but it's getting better, and from what I heard there was a humongous flamenco festival that used a lot of the area recently. As a former usher for BCPA, you would be surprised about how much the theater is actually used. It's generally booked every weekend.
Of course, I may have a bit of a bias due to other factors.

CaptainMichael

I think part of the new WDC hotel strategy is to think of those great cities like New Orleans with the French Quarter, etc, as the "theme park" they service. So if you theme yourself to be like St. Augustine and compliment it and give better tours, etc. then you've made these real adventures into a "Resort" experience. You get a themed experience without building the park!
I like this approach if the hotel is "Disney" quality and better than what's already there.

A Disney DVC/Hotel in New Orleans would be great for both parties IMO. It would attract more families to the area. I could also see a New Orleans themed Adventurers Club (Ship Captain, Colorful Politician, Fisherman, VooDoo priestest, etc) and a Pirate (Lafitte?) restaurant working well as part of it.

Vernonpush

A Disney DVC/Hotel in New Orleans would be great for both parties IMO. It would attract more families to the area. I could also see a New Orleans themed Adventurers Club (Ship Captain, Colorful Politician, Fisherman, VooDoo priestest, etc) and a Pirate (Lafitte?) restaurant working well as part of it.
If only the WDC was as smart as you!:lol:

DocMcHulk

"Disney's America" was controversial because they were taking on telling the story in bricks and mortar. It was competitive with and had to be compared to real experiences. It was "Disney's" America next to the real one. So that went over like a lead balloon in real Virginia.
Part of the problem was fear mongering by local "elites" and the "spin" that the name of the park some how implied Disney owned America.

I still think that park needs to be built... even if they have to do it in Florida.

rooneymouse

It will never happen here in New Orleans. I believe that Disney looked at the New Orleans area for their second theme park in the '60's at least that is a rumor. I believe that Walt was a little put off by the politics of the area and moved on with his Florida project.
I just can't see Disney paying extra for the opportunity to operate a DVC or anything for that matter in New Orleans.
Just ask Six Flags how easy it is to do business with New Orleans.(or get out of doing business with N.O.)

jt04

"Disney's America" was controversial because they were taking on telling the story in bricks and mortar. It was competitive with and had to be compared to real experiences. It was "Disney's" America next to the real one. So that went over like a lead balloon in real Virginia. So...who can argue with embracing real places and making a Hawaiian hotel that has the Disney touch and Tiki pool for the kids, etc. and is your HQ to see real stuff like a Volcano?

Exactly. It's why I think Disney will be THE family travel leaders in 10 years or so. You will be able to travel to any key travel destination and receive the quality of a Disney resort. That, I believe, is the goal.

It will never happen here in New Orleans. I believe that Disney looked at the New Orleans area for their second theme park in the '60's at least that is a rumor. I believe that Walt was a little put off by the politics of the area and moved on with his Florida project.
I just can't see Disney paying extra for the opportunity to operate a DVC or anything for that matter in New Orleans.
Just ask Six Flags how easy it is to do business with New Orleans.(or get out of doing business with N.O.)

I'd be shocked if Disney does not put a DVC in NO or at least a resort within 10 years.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

BTW, I have no idea what or where they are planning to go with these things, and you may be right, NO was just an example. "Politics of the Caribbean" I guess.:)

CaptainMichael

The Louisiana and New Orleans of today are very different from that of the 60's. Sure, remnants of the old crowd still exist, but that is the same situation around the country. You are doing our city and our state a disservice by perpetuating negative stereotypes. The Six Flags example is terrible btw. They've been trying to get out of the deal since Katrina. If anyone is wrong, it's them.

To all out there in the interwebs, New Orleans and Louisiana are still recovering from the hurricanes, but we've come a long way. The BCS, NCAA, NBA, NFL and countless other businesses have put their faith in the area, and we have not disappointed. Like every other major city, we have our problems, but we're trying to overcome them. The food, the people, the history, and the culture down here in Louisiana are unparalleled.

A Disney resort in New Orleans could be a huge success if done correctly. There is a large Disney fan base in Louisiana.

*steps down from soap box*

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
A Disney resort in New Orleans could be a huge success if done correctly. There is a large Disney fan base in Louisiana.

Disney already built one French Quarter and "bought" it's own criminals (but they can shut off the "animatronic looting" at closing) then charged guests to watch them ransack the town! What's the big deal? So putting a hotel next door to the real thing can't be that hard. When does it open?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom