Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirian

I didn't show them the prequels.:fork:

And my respect for you just shot higher. :lol:

In all seriousness, I just completed a Star Wars marathon with my friends. We watched them in order of production, and were shocked at how horrible the prequels actually are. If you think you remember they were bad, try watching them right after the originals. :lol:

tirian

That is always the catch 22, the better the cgi, the more real it looks, more of a chance that the viewer has gotten cgi fatigue and does not believe it looks real.

I find CG looks even worse in Blu-Ray at home than it does at a movie theater. Everything has a plastic sheen; even a Pixar film simply doesn't look as good as a restored hand-drawn or live-action movie.

Eddie, in a very roundabout way, this leads to another question. Due to the wildly varying quality of preshows and film-based attractions, I've always wondered how WDI treats the act of moviemaking itself. In your experience, was it generally viewed as a requirement to complete, or an extension of the attraction's art form? In other words, was it treated like a local newscast or a film? I ask because only the Tower of Terror preshow is particularly good. :rolleyes:

flavious27

I find CG looks even worse in Blu-Ray at home than it does at a movie theater. Everything has a plastic sheen; even a Pixar film simply doesn't look as good as a restored hand-drawn or live-action movie.

I think it matters if the movie was transferred correctly and also if it was shot and mastered in a hidef format. Watching the opening battle scenes for LOTR FOR, the cgi is apparent. On the other hand, the cgi for my hd dvds is not as jarring.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

Eddie, in a very roundabout way, this leads to another question. Due to the wildly varying quality of preshows and film-based attractions, I've always wondered how WDI treats the act of moviemaking itself. In your experience, was it generally viewed as a requirement to complete, or an extension of the attraction's art form? In other words, was it treated like a local newscast or a film? I ask because only the Tower of Terror preshow is particularly good. :rolleyes:

Wow. An insanely good question.

Well at the worst it's a "book report" or "Reader's Digest" version of the movie. To me, you want to interpret what the movie means to the audience and what elements of it they would want to enjoy in the real world. Then deliver that above expectation. Mr. Toad made that file it's own. TDL Pooh was loosely based on the films, but was it's own version based on what happens to the guest. The "real world" of course, has limitations so you look at what can be delivered in that gravity based environment and how you can make it seem like it's not. We look at the seminal "moments" and the immersive world first, and the linear story second. At least I do.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I was pointing out the WED, A sign of things to come? yes that is Larry Nickolai.

I think there is a movement of purists within WDI to change the name back to WED, not sure if it will ever happen. Interesting idea, but would it make a difference in the culture? It depends what WED means to you. I was in the WDI retail store there not too long ago and they had a pretty extensive line of WED logo merchandise for sale and I must admit it was pretty cool. I only worked for WED in it's final weeks as they were into changing the name when I started in 1986. A never ending quest of mine is to finally locate my old WED ID card. After waiting a lifetime to get it, there was no way I was gonna exchange it for a WDI one!

NewfieFan

Is anyone gonna go out and snag a new iPad 2? Pretty awesome, especially if you held out.

Ugh, don't get my husband started. He already has the original and I saw him batting eyelashes at the 2... I told him, "Don't even think about it!" :animwink: :ROFLOL:

By the way, I'm just a lurker to this thread but I have throughly enjoyed reading it. Your insight and posts are truly fascinating. Thanks!

Bonemachine

That is always the catch 22, the better the cgi, the more real it looks, more of a chance that the viewer has gotten cgi fatigue and does not believe it looks real.

To me and everyone else I've talked to about it, no matter how good the CGI is and how "real" it looks, it always feels fake compared to even the most primitive stop motion animated models, puppets, mechanics, etc.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Ugh, don't get my husband started. He already has the original and I saw him batting eyelashes at the 2... I told him, "Don't even think about it!" :animwink: :ROFLOL:

By the way, I'm just a lurker to this thread but I have throughly enjoyed reading it. Your insight and posts are truly fascinating. Thanks!

Thanks. We'd love to hear more from you.

I know JUST how he feels. Will have to stay out of the Apple Store for a while. If I hold it, I'm dead meat. It's over. I'm now catching myself looking at the thickness of mine compared to the waif-y iPad2, and I'm like falling out of love. It's so 2010. My kids would kill for mine, so I could pretend to be a generous dad and gift it to them as a pre graduation gift or something, then my wife would be less likely to kill me. Or just buy her one first, then I'm off the hook.

Better yet and much cheaper. I should Pick up a real pad and draw something.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Shrunken Ned

A few pages back I was asked about my favorite projects. I think it was creating the character of "Shrunken Ned" coin operated British witch doctor in Adventureland. I had seen a similar idea of a machine featuring a Doctor that listened to your heart, shook his head, then actually wrote prescriptions in a London Museum. We converted a fortune teller machine for Ned. Rich Proctor wrote the scripts and I did the voice. Chris Runco and I designed the kiosk. He did the art on the prescription cards that are given out too. Chris is awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCiYuBPElFw&feature=related

Pioneer Hall

A few pages back I was asked about my favorite projects. I think it was creating the character of "Shrunken Ned" coin operated British witch doctor in Adventureland. I had seen a similar idea of a machine featuring a Doctor that listened to your heart, shook his head, then actually wrote prescriptions in a London Museum. We converted a fortune teller machine for Ned. Rich Proctor wrote the scripts and I did the voice. Chris Runco and I designed the kiosk. He did the art on the prescription cards that are given out too. Chris is awesome!

I have some of the recordings on my iPod. Nice to know the voice behind the creative (and funny) attraction.

HMF

I think there is a movement of purists within WDI to change the name back to WED, not sure if it will ever happen. Interesting idea, but would it make a difference in the culture? It depends what WED means to you. I was in the WDI retail store there not too long ago and they had a pretty extensive line of WED logo merchandise for sale and I must admit it was pretty cool. I only worked for WED in it's final weeks as they were into changing the name when I started in 1986. A never ending quest of mine is to finally locate my old WED ID card. After waiting a lifetime to get it, there was no way I was gonna exchange it for a WDI one!
I know I want a WED name tag. BTW' John Lasseter is in that movement.

StageFrenzy

I think i read a bunch of pages back that you did some voice work on the DLP Railroad. Did you do a lot of voice work for attractions and projects you worked on? Did someone from above ever want to replace your voice with more famous talent?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I think i read a bunch of pages back that you did some voice work on the DLP Railroad. Did you do a lot of voice work for attractions and projects you worked on? Did someone from above ever want to replace your voice with more famous talent?

Yes. It was great to cast yourself! To your point, I has been replaced on the DLP RR spiel long ago and DL Space Mountain (we have ignition! and Robin Leach soundalike in the video). I think I'm still the station announcer (last caaaaal board!) both in WDW and Paris. Did emergency spiels for BTMRR in DLP too. Upstairs windows and "Party Line" conversations on Main Street in DL and DLP still exist and the Genie in "Aladdin's other lamp" machine in Ad'land. Radio Toontown announcer in Mickey's House at DL. So fun doing those.

TP2000

Is anyone gonna go out and snag a new iPad 2? Pretty awesome, especially if you held out.

I am thinking about it, maybe a few weeks from now when sanity returns to the Apple Store at South Coast Plaza. I don't own an Ipad yet, but love my Ipod Touch, and I really do like the looks of the slim new design. I'm sure it's very pleasing to hold.

Speaking of Ipads, I was fascinated to see what appeared to be hourly supervisors in uniform at Universal Studios last month walking around with Ipads and apparently updating wait time signs and such with them. It was an impressive use of technology, although maybe a bit gimmicky like Hyundai who is putting their owners manuals for their new expensive sedans on Ipads instead of a regular book in the glove compartment. But obviously Universal had some money to spend outfitting their employees with the latest tech to help manage the customer experience.

On the fascinating flip side.... I have also noticed how outdated the supervisors at Disneyland seem to be, with "manager" types walking around in business clothes and using very clunky old Blackberries attached to their belts. Some of them at Disneyland have several of these old Blackberries clipped to their hips at one time, so not only is Disneyland issuing them ancient technology but they aren't even linked to one account. You know the old really thick and clunky Blackberries with the pull-out antennas from about 2003 without even the color screens? That's what the managers walking around the parks still openly use at Disneyland, with Disney stickers on the belt clip case that make them look like they are company issued equipment.

Standard Issue Blackberry in 2011 for Disneyland Supervisors
BlackBerry6210_RIM_canadian.jpg

At this point you would think Disney would give them updated versions just so Disneyland could at least pretend their front-line supervision had reasonably updated equipment. It almost makes you worry about what's controlling the rides and how out of date that stuff is when you see management being issued old BB's like those things.

Is it that normal for the Disney theme park operational management to be so behind the times? You're just kind of embarassed for them in 2011. :eek:

flavious27

I am thinking about it, maybe a few weeks from now when sanity returns to the Apple Store at South Coast Plaza. I don't own an Ipad yet, but love my Ipod Touch, and I really do like the looks of the slim new design. I'm sure it's very pleasing to hold.

Speaking of Ipads, I was fascinated to see what appeared to be hourly supervisors in uniform at Universal Studios last month walking around with Ipads and apparently updating wait time signs and such with them. It was an impressive use of technology, although maybe a bit gimmicky like Hyundai who is putting their owners manuals for their new expensive sedans on Ipads instead of a regular book in the glove compartment. But obviously Universal had some money to spend outfitting their employees with the latest tech to help manage the customer experience.

On the fascinating flip side.... I have also noticed how outdated the supervisors at Disneyland seem to be, with "manager" types walking around in business clothes and using very clunky old Blackberries attached to their belts. Some of them at Disneyland have several of these old Blackberries clipped to their hips at one time, so not only is Disneyland issuing them ancient technology but they aren't even linked to one account. You know the old really thick and clunky Blackberries with the pull-out antennas from about 2003 without even the color screens? That's what the managers walking around the parks still openly use at Disneyland, with Disney stickers on the belt clip case that make them look like they are company issued equipment.

Standard Issue Blackberry in 2011 for Disneyland Supervisors
BlackBerry6210_RIM_canadian.jpg

At this point you would think Disney would give them updated versions just so Disneyland could at least pretend their front-line supervision had reasonably updated equipment. It almost makes you worry about what's controlling the rides and how out of date that stuff is when you see management being issued old BB's like those things.

Is it that normal for the Disney theme park operational management to be so behind the times? You're just kind of embarassed for them in 2011. :eek:

Whenever corporations cut their expenses, IT is always cut first. I am sure that the check in workstations are probably from the early part of this decade and running win 2k or xp.

flavious27

I am afraid that a name change from wdi to wed will be just that, a name change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom