Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Thanks. We'd love to hear more from you.

I know JUST how he feels. Will have to stay out of the Apple Store for a while. If I hold it, I'm dead meat. It's over. I'm now catching myself looking at the thickness of mine compared to the waif-y iPad2, and I'm like falling out of love. It's so 2010. My kids would kill for mine, so I could pretend to be a generous dad and gift it to them as a pre graduation gift or something, then my wife would be less likely to kill me. Or just buy her one first, then I'm off the hook.

Better yet and much cheaper. I should Pick up a real pad and draw something.

I know exactly how you feel. I got the Ipad the first week it came out, even went for the top line version of it. One year later and I have buyer's remorse. I love my Ipad, but the Ipad 2 is so much sleeker and sexier. I read a funny tweet about the Ipad that I'll share because it gave me a nice chuckle. "Of course I am going to get the Ipad 2. Then I am going to use it to take a picture of my Ipad 1 laughing at me for being a first gen sucker."

For anyone thinking of upgrading from the 1 to 2 though, my advice would be to hold off. Apple insiders are predicting the 3 will be out by christmas.

darthspielberg

Yes. It was great to cast yourself! To your point, I has been replaced on the DLP RR spiel long ago and DL Space Mountain (we have ignition! and Robin Leach soundalike in the video). I think I'm still the station announcer (last caaaaal board!) both in WDW and Paris. Did emergency spiels for BTMRR in DLP too. Upstairs windows and "Party Line" conversations on Main Street in DL and DLP still exist and the Genie in "Aladdin's other lamp" machine in Ad'land. Radio Toontown announcer in Mickey's House at DL. So fun doing those.

Good Lord, that's awesome. When I was at MK a year ago, I was spending some time just relaxing, waiting for a train at the Main Street station, and when I head the last call, I actually thought "That must be a fun gig."

Whenever I find my way out to DL, I'll give Shrunken Ned a visit!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Is it that normal for the Disney theme park operational management to be so behind the times? You're just kind of embarassed for them in 2011. :eek:

Especially if you consider that Steve Jobs is the largest shareholder in Disney. I know Disney was testing the ipod touch as a point of sale system for Disney Stores. So I think they want to be futuristic. When I was at WDI, the first computer issued to me was a Mac (artist friendly) and I've never owned a PC, ever. There were only a handful of artists that had Macs (Duo dock laptops, 6500 Towers, Apple II, really early stuff.) They grudging supported us with them and they froze often. We had Motorola StarTac phones as standard equipment and Blackberry was supported in recent years. I know Imagineers with iPhones so there must be both. They have an sponsor or some arrangement with Verizon, so maybe they will get iPhones into the parks next year. There were issues with IOS and Microsoft Outlook in the beginning too. Many people prefer the tactile feedback of a real keyboard. The new Motorola smartphone with Driod and 4G is impressive too.

If you ask me, Blackberry is so Treo 650!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Whenever corporations cut their expenses, IT is always cut first. I am sure that the check in workstations are probably from the early part of this decade and running win 2k or xp.

I think it's ironic that the minimum wage employees usually have better personal equipment they are not allowed to use, than the corporation issued entry level stuff they have to adopt. As for software, skipping Vista is a sign of wisdom. OSX is so much better and more stable. I added Windows 7 to my Mac and it's a nice knockoff.

KevinYee

Eddie, was earthquake safety (emergency systems, redundancy, castors/rollers) part of the design process for TDL Pooh at all? How involved does the production/artistic designer get with the required safety systems?

flavious27

Especially if you consider that Steve Jobs is the largest shareholder in Disney. I know Disney was testing the ipod touch as a point of sale system for Disney Stores. So I think they want to be futuristic. When I was at WDI, the first computer issued to me was a Mac (artist friendly) and I've never owned a PC, ever. There were only a handful of artists that had Macs (Duo dock laptops, 6500 Towers, Apple II, really early stuff.) They grudging supported us with them and they froze often. We had Motorola StarTac phones as standard equipment and Blackberry was supported in recent years. I know Imagineers with iPhones so there must be both. They have an sponsor or some arrangement with Verizon, so maybe they will get iPhones into the parks next year. There were issues with IOS and Microsoft Outlook in the beginning too. Many people prefer the tactile feedback of a real keyboard. The new Motorola smartphone with Driod and 4G is impressive too.

IT departments don't like to support multiple OSs, but for an operation like WDI it is a given that they would have Macs.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, was earthquake safety (emergency systems, redundancy, castors/rollers) part of the design process for TDL Pooh at all? How involved does the production/artistic designer get with the required safety systems?

Not overtly, at least where I was concerned. Quake tech is engineering so you don't see it up front. Nothing unusual on Pooh that I remember. I'm sure there are Ops procedures for sure, inspection, closures, evacs, etc. Everything is cabled with a safety cable in addition to a bracket or chain. I know chandeliers and things like that that hang over guests are over engineered for safety and swinging. Overhead glass is something to be conscious of. The Rocket probe in the load of TDL Space Mountain was being built and it's frame was really excessive compared to what you'd do here. The engineering codes there dictate much thicker and more robust steel framing so you see that in the construction cost up front. Go back and look at the progress shots of the roof of Alice's Tea Party or simple structures and you'll see lots of extra steel. That is quake (and some wind loaded) related engineering. TDL is on a landfill in the bay as you know, so you have to first place gigantic foam blocks into the ground to create a relatively firm foundation. The Castle still sinks and inch or so every year and "lists" like the leaning tower of Pisa, so they put more blocks under it to jack it back up. I'd imagine their biggest concern would be a form of liquifaction, as the shaking, if it continued long enough, eventually mixes the soil and water together into a massive quicksand situation. That is what is predicted for parts of California where you are built on sand in coastal areas. Maybe the Foam blocks prevent that. They are very careful in Japan and conservative in safety areas. Frankly, the strict fire codes with using steel for sets and lots of exit signs is more frustrating to design around. They fought any live flames for years till Universal started doing it in their shows.

fyn

I think it's ironic that the minimum wage employees usually have better personal equipment they are not allowed to use, than the corporation issued entry level stuff they have to adopt.

It generally has to with the corporation's ability to secure said devices, and make them appropriately compliant. This is a non-trivial problem for tens of thousands of like devices, and even more complex for tens of thousands of non-like devices. Effectively, letting employees use whatever personal devices they want for corporate use is risky, and costs lots of money.

I added Windows 7 to my Mac and it's a nice knockoff.

Ouch. Eddie, your fanboy is showing. ;)

Alektronic

At WDW, about 10 years they invested heavily in a Nextel infrastructure, a lot of cell phone towers, some hidden and some not, for coverage all around property. Most of the CM's have Nextel handsets and supervisor were upgraded to Blackberrys because they can receive email and actually use them as phones, where as the Nextels are only used as Direct Connect or certain talk groups.

Then when they installed Kim Possible in World Showcase at Epcot, do they think they went with the already installed infrastructure? No, they went with Verizon, so they had to install more communication infrastructure.

Then they are installing Wi-Fi for other systems but not for POS, that is on another system. They went with another totally different direction. And now they are using big and clunky PDA's for inventory and maintenance record collection.

For as Desktop PC's, we have been upgraded to new HP's, because they are a sponsor, but the software is still older, in fact, they still use Internet Explorer 5 and if you go to a Disney website, you get a message saying your browser is outdated and needs to be upgraded, so you can't view a Disney website properly from a Disney owned PC on the intranet. I find that kind of funny.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
For as Desktop PC's, we have been upgraded to new HP's, because they are a sponsor, but the software is still older, in fact, they still use Internet Explorer 5 and if you go to a Disney website, you get a message saying your browser is outdated and needs to be upgraded, so you can't view a Disney website properly from a Disney owned PC on the intranet. I find that kind of funny.

Sponsorship can paint you into a tech corner. IE5? Yikes! You could sell out of an item before it finishes loading the page! I still remember Netscape Navigator
and thinking Yahoo search was fast.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
So I was at the park lurking around today for a bit and noticed something most of you probably already knew.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/album.php?albumid=1360

I have been asked many times about the existence of a "megatheme" of Jean Lafitte and Andrew Jackson tying TSI, HM and POTC, even Frontierland together. Well, there is physical evidence that has been speculated on, and I had proposed a TS redo called Lafitte's Island years ago. But to date, I had not seen WDI commit to anything like that in print, just that it was coincidence. So today I pause to actually read the articles on a Newpaper posted at the TSI dock. To my surprise (I'm probably the last fan to see this), it tells of Tom and Huck heading off to "Jackson Island" and searching for Pirate Treasure. In the article, Jean Lafitte is brought up as to a likely reason for the treasure being there as he is rumored to have frequented the Island. This is the first time I have actually read anything in print that officially mentions this relationship and places him on a Jackson Island. Then the physical evidence of anchors and POTC docks, etc fall into place. Did you guys already know this tidbit? Did HBG2 already post it someplace?

flavious27

Sponsorship can paint you into a tech corner. IE5? Yikes! You could sell out of an item before it finishes loading the page! I still remember Netscape Navigator
and thinking Yahoo search was fast.

Bigger problem is that IE5 is not supported by alot of websites.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Tokyo Quake.

I know this information is everywhere right now and I'm by no means a reporter but as more news comes in it gets more and more frightening and sad. Not to mention a potential nuclear meltdown. The video of what has happened with the Tsunami and whirlpool, etc. is jawdropping. Mankind is a guest here at best.

You really wonder how a park gets through something like that, even if the damage is minor. I spent several years working at TDL and without a doubt, the TDL cast members are the best and most dedicated in the world. There are reports on miceage that the CM's are staying with the guests handing out drinks, etc. and braving 30 degree windchill as many guests are stranded in the park because the trains do not run. (TDR has a large percentage of guests coming by rail). This is unprecedented and as much we all feel for those who are experiencing the devastation, imagine the cast who are helping guests while they are separated from their own families. WOW.

From Al Lutz at Miceage...

Editor's Note 3/11: UPDATE 9:20 AM PST - FROM A READER: We are at Tokyo DisneySea now and during the earthquake. We were evacuated from buildings and attractions quickly but we were stuck in the park. Since all trains and roads are closed, thousands are stranded. We were given shelter in the many restaurants and buffeterias in the Parks to escape the freezing cold. Kudos to the Cast at the Tokyo Disney Resort. We were watching Legends when the earthquake struck and they were all extremely calm and informative. The Cast made us all feel safe. Even after working who knows how many hours and worrying about their own friends and family, they are there for us. After passing out plenty of drinks, plastic bags (as ponchos), blankets and towels, and hand and foot warmers, the Cast were still so friendly and helpful. They are still out there, in a 30 degree windchill, to make sure we are safe in this terrible situation. Please make sure you recognize the great Cast here. Their service is really out of this world. UPDATE 2 AM PST - While Japan recovers from the massive earthquake, we've received word that there were thankfully no injuries to Cast Members or visitors at Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea. Both parks were immediately closed and evacuated in an orderly fashion after the quake, and upon initial inspection there appears to be only light damage to park structures and facilities. There is a possibility that the Tokyo parks will remain closed for another day or two as the country focuses on important recovery efforts. - Al Lutz

www.miceage.com

flavious27

I know this information is everywhere right now and I'm by no means a reporter but as more news comes in it gets more and more frightening and sad. Not to mention a potential nuclear meltdown. The video of what has happened with the Tsunami and whirlpool, etc. is jawdropping. Mankind is a guest here at best.

You really wonder how a park gets through something like that, even if the damage is minor. I spent several years working at TDL and without a doubt, the TDL cast members are the best and most dedicated in the world. There are reports on miceage that the CM's are staying with the guests handing out drinks, etc. and braving 30 degree windchill as many guests are stranded in the park because the trains do not run. (TDR has a large percentage of guests coming by rail). This is unprecedented and as much we all feel for those who are experiencing the devastation, imagine the cast who are helping guests while they are separated from their own families. WOW.

From Al Lutz at Miceage...

Editor's Note 3/11: UPDATE 9:20 AM PST - FROM A READER: We are at Tokyo DisneySea now and during the earthquake. We were evacuated from buildings and attractions quickly but we were stuck in the park. Since all trains and roads are closed, thousands are stranded. We were given shelter in the many restaurants and buffeterias in the Parks to escape the freezing cold. Kudos to the Cast at the Tokyo Disney Resort. We were watching Legends when the earthquake struck and they were all extremely calm and informative. The Cast made us all feel safe. Even after working who knows how many hours and worrying about their own friends and family, they are there for us. After passing out plenty of drinks, plastic bags (as ponchos), blankets and towels, and hand and foot warmers, the Cast were still so friendly and helpful. They are still out there, in a 30 degree windchill, to make sure we are safe in this terrible situation. Please make sure you recognize the great Cast here. Their service is really out of this world. UPDATE 2 AM PST - While Japan recovers from the massive earthquake, we've received word that there were thankfully no injuries to Cast Members or visitors at Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea. Both parks were immediately closed and evacuated in an orderly fashion after the quake, and upon initial inspection there appears to be only light damage to park structures and facilities. There is a possibility that the Tokyo parks will remain closed for another day or two as the country focuses on important recovery efforts. - Al Lutz

www.miceage.com

It is good to hear that damage and injuries were at a minimal while CMs are doing a great job to help guests. I wonder if dlt will have more buildings built to house guests for a similar situation in the future, maybe having a conference center built that can be used for that role while used as a convention center to increase attendance at dlt.

TP2000

So I was at the park lurking around today for a bit and noticed something most of you probably already knew.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/album.php?albumid=1360

I have been asked many times about the existence of a "megatheme" of Jean Lafitte and Andrew Jackson tying TSI, HM and POTC, even Frontierland together. Well, there is physical evidence that has been speculated on, and I had proposed a TS redo called Lafitte's Island years ago. But to date, I had not seen WDI commit to anything like that in print, just that it was coincidence. So today I pause to actually read the articles on a Newpaper posted at the TSI dock. To my surprise (I'm probably the last fan to see this), it tells of Tom and Huck heading off to "Jackson Island" and searching for Pirate Treasure. In the article, Jean Lafitte is brought up as to a likely reason for the treasure being there as he is rumored to have frequented the Island. This is the first time I have actually read anything in print that officially mentions this relationship and places him on a Jackson Island. Then the physical evidence of anchors and POTC docks, etc fall into place. Did you guys already know this tidbit? Did HBG2 already post it someplace?

I read those articles when Pirate's Lair first opened in '07 and the line was so long you had to wait for up to 20 minutes to get on a raft, and I've perused that "River Notices" board a few times over the years since. I picked up on the Lafitte reference immediately, and thought it tied in nicely with his anchor and plaque nearby and the Pirates of the Caribbean loading dock a bit farther into New Orleans Square.

It was terribly clever how they tied all of Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island in with the actual Mark Twain stories and text and the Pirates of the Caribbean plotlines. In my opinion, Disneyland's Pirate's Lair really freshened up the Tom Sawyer Island experience brilliantly, and made it very savvy and relevant while still keeping the important elements from the past. I think the new "river pirate" uniforms the raft drivers wear were a huge improvement over the cutoffs and patchy shirts, and they really hit all the important details with that makeover. Don't you just love the creepy spefx and animatronic ghost-changing pirate they added to Injun Joe's Cave?!?

Pirate's Lair on Tom Saywer Island was a perfect example of Disneyland taking an aging 1950's attraction and freshening it up brilliantly for 21st century audiences, while keeping the core Walt-era concept intact. Hard to believe it's already four years old! :sohappy:

And yes, I agree with you that the Tokyo Disney Resort Cast Members are absolutely the best Disney Cast Members on the planet, hands down. Without fail, they never cease to amaze and delight me with their courtesy and attractiveness and overall gracious service, all while handling a Bajillion people and efficient operating that facility. Amazing! How I wish the American CM's could be trained by their Japanese counterparts when it comes to courtesy, personal appearance and efficiency. But I know so much of that is cultural, and the American CM's would just stare open-mouthed and not understand why they should bother.

Interesting how Al Lutz had his first accurate update on Tokyo Disneyland up within a couple hours of the quake. My thoughts and prayers go out to Japan during these trying days, but I was glad to hear that Tokyo escaped with only minor damage and that Tokyo Disneyland itself was relatively unharmed.

Bonemachine

Is Pirate's Lair really that different from how it was before as Tom Sawyer Island? I honestly only remember the live pirate characters as being different and I'm sure they changed the signs/names and minimal necessary stuff like that. I don't get to Disneyland enough to really know though, I'm just wondering.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Watching the desperate efforts to prevent the meltdown of that nuclear reactor in Japan only reminded me of the Progress City model in the COP. They had their own nuke plant right in town! Mom called it a "sparkling jewel" It's ironic how what we thought of as "progress" sometimes comes back to haunt us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom