Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt04

Hi Eddie, could you post the website for your company? I seem to remember it giving examples of past and current projects. Thanks.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Hi Eddie, could you post the website for your company? I seem to remember it giving examples of past and current projects. Thanks.

www.sottostudios.com

We have a few things posted like Aston Martin and Rivera. It's probably time to update our site again. Unfortunately, most of what we do now is pretty underground and we can't show it. We deliberately live below the radar...

misterID

www.sottostudios.com

We have a few things posted like Aston Martin and Rivera. It's probably time to update our site again. Unfortunately, most of what we do now is pretty underground and we can't show it. We deliberately live below the radar...

Are you interested in doing set design for films?

Your work, like the Aston Martin Rivera images, kind of reminded me of a Kubrick set.

Ituri13

Today my personal point of view is that I don't endorse santizing the occult and would not work on it. But this is what was proposed back then.

This brings up an interesting question. In the corporate world of WDI, does is a designer able to turn down a project on moral grounds, and will that be respected by management? Or would doing so jeopardize one's job?

That must be a great element of working for yourself, it's easier to be accountable to a higher power.

jt04

www.sottostudios.com

It seems you do most of your projects on consignment or as a contractor. But do you ever consider building projects and then seeking investors or partners to complete them? I would imagine you have ideas on many levels of complexity and scope but do you ever consider building your own 'empire' so to speak? Or are you ever approached to build such projects such as a downtown Disney, sports complex, resort or even theme parks as part of a new enterprise from the ground up?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
This brings up an interesting question. In the corporate world of WDI, does is a designer able to turn down a project on moral grounds, and will that be respected by management? Or would doing so jeopardize one's job?

That must be a great element of working for yourself, it's easier to be accountable to a higher power.

It is. Running your own business makes you entirely accountable for your actions as it's all you. WDI has let talent off of projects for lesser reasons ("I can't work with so and so"), so I doubt if they would hold it against you, especially for faith reasons. You want your team to be excited about the project, so forcing people to work on something is usually not a good strategy anyhow. I think if you turned down so many projects that you became hard to place then they might rightfully see that as a negative, but then why sign up if you can't do anything?

IMO, most Management (not just WDI) places far more value on how easy you are to work with and how you take direction, than how truly talented you are. They expect you to be talented (and sometimes cannot see the difference between employees), so then it's how easy you make their life by being low drama. You try to be both without losing your integrity or letting the design get trashed. Prima donnas are few and usually unhappy. So tact and discernment about knowing when and how to make your case is crucial.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
It seems you do most of your projects on consignment or as a contractor. But do you ever consider building projects and then seeking investors or partners to complete them? I would imagine you have ideas on many levels of complexity and scope but do you ever consider building your own 'empire' so to speak? Or are you ever approached to build such projects such as a downtown Disney, sports complex, resort or even theme parks as part of a new enterprise from the ground up?

Yes. Rivera was a good experiment in that direction and as a partner/owner opens up new opportunities where they didn't exist before. People see you more as an entrepreneur than just a designer. Developing projects internally is my main focus but it's hard to do while doing other things for fees. It takes deep focus. This economy and it's uncertainty makes that course tougher and longer term but yes, there are things I'd like to try that no one is asking for because they are "outside the box". Some are in new technology. I'm not really interested in building an empire or being well known, just "pushing the envelope" for a few great clients or on my own.

jt04

Yes. Rivera was a good experiment in that direction and as a partner/owner opens up new opportunities where they didn't exist before. people see you more as an entrepreneur than a designer. All true and developing projects internally is my main focus. This economy and it's uncertainty makes that course tougher and longer term but yes, there are things I'd like to try that no one is asking for because they are "outside the box". Some are in new technology. I'm not really interested in building an empire, just doing really great work wherever it comes from.

I would guess you are not in the business of accepting ideas from others for the same reason as WDI does not accept ideas. But if somebody had a unique idea that was definitely "outside the box" and they wanted to get an expert opinion while not compromising that idea, what would be the best approach?

Edit, sorry for the spelling I am in a rush. Thanks for whatever information you can provide.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I would guess you are not in the business of accepting ideas from others for the same reason as WDI does not accept ideas. But if someboday had a unique idea that was definitely 'outside the box" and they wanted to get an expert opinion while not compramising that idea, what would be the best approach?

You are right that I don't look at ideas and yes, it's the same legal stuff that prevents that. Usually you both sign a mutual non disclosure statement meaning that both parties won't discuss the idea and keep it a secret. That does not mean if you told me something and I said "I was already working on that same idea" or "we already thought of that" that I could not do it and then we're at odds. WDI says that frequently because they have been brainstorming so many things for years. Of course, if they did steal something they'd have to prove they were developing it. Remember this? http://www.disneylawsuit.com. No wonder they don't want to see things.

To answer your question, you get everything submitted through lawyers, the same way scripts are protected then submitted. Unless you are looking for ideas, no one encourages that approach because it still leaves you open.

Kind of discouraging. I was lucky because the legal noose didn't exist when I was out trying to get into the business and just went in and pitched ideas with no legal anything. I just wanted a job.

jt04

You are right that I don't look at ideas and yes, it's the same legal stuff that prevents that. Usually you both sign a mutual non disclosure statement meaning that both parties won't discuss the idea and keep it a secret. That does not mean if you told me something and I said "I was already working on that same idea" or "we already thought of that" that I could not do it and then we're at odds. WDI says that frequently because they have been brainstorming so many things for years.

To answer your question, you get everything submitted through lawyers, the same way scripts are protected then submitted. Unless you are looking for ideas, no one encourages that approach because it still leaves you open.

Kind of discouraging. I was lucky because the legal noose didn't exist when I was out trying to get into the business and just went in and pitched ideas with no legal anything. I just wanted a job.

Thank you for responding. I have another question or two but I am out of time. More later. Thanks again.:wave:

jt04

I'm off to work as well.

I was asking the questions in a general sense and did not mean to put you on the spot. I can tell you are an honest person and I would not worry about you stealing or passing on a concept if you were asked not to.

If someone comes up with an idea for a product it is fairly easy to get a patent. But if you have an idea for a concept such as we are discussing I am not so sure how one goes about protecting that. The idea I have is fairly new technology so my guess is it is also not something many would have had the idea to do if done would be somewhat revolutionary in that it has never been done before as far as I know.

Anyway, is there some way to patent a concept? I have a lot of ideas that I think are unique but mostly at a macro level and I know from a background such as yours that dealing with people with big ideas is probably a hazard of the job. :lol: I would think it is like being a doctor and always being asked to give a diagnosis to everyone they run into.

Bonemachine

Eddie, if you had the chance to go to California Adventure as well the other day or recently at all, what do you think of the progress thus far on Carsland? Is it as impressive as it looks in the pictures? I'd imagine it's even more impressive in person. I'm very curious to see how Carsland turns out, especially Radiator Springs Racers.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I was asking the questions in a general sense and did not mean to put you on the spot. I can tell you are an honest person and I would not worry about you stealing or passing on a concept if you were asked not to.

If someone comes up with an idea for a product it is fairly easy to get a patent. But if you have an idea for a concept such as we are discussing I am not so sure how one goes about protecting that. The idea I have is fairly new technology so my guess is it is also not something many would have had the idea to do if done would be somewhat revolutionary in that it has never been done before as far as I know.

Anyway, is there some way to patent a concept? I have a lot of ideas that I think are unique but mostly at a macro level and I know from a background such as yours that dealing with people with big ideas is probably a hazard of the job. :lol: I would think it is like being a doctor and always being asked to give a diagnosis to everyone they run into.

I understand. I wish I had the cure. You may want to look here to at least prove when you came up with it and register your idea.

http://www.wgawregistry.org/webrss/regdetails.html

http://www.wgawregistry.org/webrss/

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, if you had the chance to go to California Adventure as well the other day or recently at all, what do you think of the progress thus far on Carsland? Is it as impressive as it looks in the pictures? I'd imagine it's even more impressive in person. I'm very curious to see how Carsland turns out, especially Radiator Springs Racers.

It does look mega, no? All that rockwork and so high. I have not gone over there in a while but the images certainly give it a grand feel. The ride will have to pay that off. I'm sure with JL involved it will go over budget and be a rich experience.

darthspielberg

Here is a question for you that you might not be able to give insight into current workings, but I am curious regardless.

It is no secret that to work for WDI is a dream of mine, and while I know it's insanly hard to get a job with them, that doesn't mean I am not going to try. However, I am not an engineer or designer. I am currently studying film and video production. Does that kind of background have a role to play at WDI? I am sure today's new Pixar infused video screens might require more video stuff, but I am talking more in general.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Here is a question for you that you might not be able to give insight into current workings, but I am curious regardless.

It is no secret that to work for WDI is a dream of mine, and while I know it's insanly hard to get a job with them, that doesn't mean I am not going to try. However, I am not an engineer or designer. I am currently studying film and video production. Does that kind of background have a role to play at WDI? I am sure today's new Pixar infused video screens might require more video stuff, but I am talking more in general.

I think there are still spots in there for Film and video production. It was called TPP or theme park productions and they supplied all of the media. They are outsourcing more all of the time, so hurry.

jt04

I understand. I wish I had the cure. You may want to look here to at least prove when you came up with it and register your idea.

http://www.wgawregistry.org/webrss/regdetails.html

http://www.wgawregistry.org/webrss/

Thank you.

It does look mega, no? All that rockwork and so high. I have not gone over there in a while but the images certainly give it a grand feel. The ride will have to pay that off. I'm sure with JL involved it will go over budget and be a rich experience.

Did you mean to say it will not go over budget? :lookaroun:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom