Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I was at DL yesterday for about two hours and I must say that the CM's everywhere I went were outstanding. Great outgoing spirit and so friendly. The Corn Dog Truck had a big line so they recognized that and came out to take orders and sped the thing right up. So warm and friendly, never made the guests feel rushed.

Has anyone noticed that the attrax/shows go down alot?

I was just in DL this past July/August. That was one of the big things I noticed. It seemed like something was always going down. I felt like we never went an hour without seeing an attraction shut down with a CM guarding the front gate. I just assumed it was a coincidence that I kept seeing the closed attractions. Maybe there is a larger issue though.

HMF

Having a matrix of sensors that are unseen to guests that enhance their experience is going in the right direction. Having queues that start the "EXPERIENCE" and immerse the guests is the latest way to make rides better.
Fixed it for you.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think that is their goal. Seamlessly make it all "just work". FP tells me we are still caught in the clunky transition from "gas to electric". It is true however that people are addicted to phones and will now look at their texts or email to kill time in line, so once you create something that is more interesting to see in line than your email, then you're back in business. It is an addiction and so that is hard to compete with.

I don't know if Disney should try to "compete" with the new technology drawing people away from the theming...because there's no turning back on it anymore. Some people will be able to relax, unplug and appreciate the environments they are in, some won't.

Either way, Disney should always strive to create better queues and other things that draw people closer into the story.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I don't know if Disney should try to "compete" with the new technology drawing people away from the theming...because there's no turning back on it anymore. Some people will be able to relax, unplug and appreciate the environments they are in, some won't.

Either way, Disney should always strive to create better queues and other things that draw people closer into the story.

Well said, but now we are aware of the guest engaging technology as this "third person". As has been said, more technology is not always the solution, but well designed and seamless interactivity, (especially if your kids are doing really fun things and you are taking pictures of them, or you're solving a puzzle on the walls) is a worthy competitor to mundane texting.

flavious27

I think that is their goal. Seamlessly make it all "just work". FP tells me we are still caught in the clunky transition from "gas to electric". It is true however that people are addicted to phones and will now look at their texts or email to kill time in line, so once you create something that is more interesting to see in line than your email, then you're back in business. It is an addiction and so that is hard to compete with.

Well low yielding jammers stationed randomly through the parks would kick that habit.

Ituri13

Wow. I just finished reading all 271 pages of this amazing thread.

So I have a question for you Eddie. Could you talk about how landscape enters into the design program? How early in the process are the landscape architects involved? Does WDI have their own LA's or do they contract some of that work out? I believe landscape is an essential element of themed design. It's one of those things that nobody notices unless it's missing or done poorly. I recognize your answers will be based on ten year old data, but I'm sure much has not changed in regards to my questions.

And a special thanks to Eddie and everyone else who has contributed to this thread being such a great read!

darthspielberg

Okay, so I just read through all 270 pages of this thread over the last 24 hours, and I have to say...Thanks! Eddie, to hear from someone who worked at WDI personally is really fascinating.

Not sure how far back it was, but I can relate to the whole "no Disneyland at the Diner Table" thing you spoke about. I get very dirty looks most days when I bring up Disney, and especially my desire to do the CP, Work for WDI someday, or just being a nerd about WDW stuff in general. My sister is the only one who lets me talk to her about it, and even she rolls her eyes sometimes. It makes me laugh.

Again, great stuff!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Okay, so I just read through all 270 pages of this thread over the last 24 hours, and I have to say...Thanks! Eddie, to hear from someone who worked at WDI personally is really fascinating.

Not sure how far back it was, but I can relate to the whole "no Disneyland at the Diner Table" thing you spoke about. I get very dirty looks most days when I bring up Disney, and especially my desire to do the CP, Work for WDI someday, or just being a nerd about WDW stuff in general. My sister is the only one who lets me talk to her about it, and even she rolls her eyes sometimes. It makes me laugh.

Again, great stuff!

WOW! 270 pages? That is one run-on sentence for sure. Thanks so much. When it comes down to it, we're all just fans, right? It's funny that when I speak to my Dad on the phone now, he actually asks me what's going on at Disney! I'm glad you enjoyed the thread, there's alot there. It's been a "ride" in itself and i think there are still more stories and cool stuff to discuss.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Wow. I just finished reading all 271 pages of this amazing thread.

So I have a question for you Eddie. Could you talk about how landscape enters into the design program? How early in the process are the landscape architects involved? Does WDI have their own LA's or do they contract some of that work out? I believe landscape is an essential element of themed design. It's one of those things that nobody notices unless it's missing or done poorly. I recognize your answers will be based on ten year old data, but I'm sure much has not changed in regards to my questions.

And a special thanks to Eddie and everyone else who has contributed to this thread being such a great read!

Wow..270 pages. I'll have to try that. Glad you enjoy the thread.. Such great questions. Hope this helps.

Frank Lloyd Wright once said "The physician can bury his mistakes, but the architect can only advise his client to plant vines-" Truer words were never said. The landscape designer saves your bacon many times.

When I was at WDI, Herb Ryman introduced me to Morgan "Bill" Evans, Walt's home landscaper, who became his choice for greening Disneyland. As frequently happens, the landscaping got the short end of the budget but Bill made it work. He was already a legend in the business as his family had a nursery in LA and his father was a second generation horticulturist. I live in LA and many of the unique trees in my neighborhood were brought to the USA by Evan's father. This is important, because frequently theme parks must emulate other parks of the world in both architecture and plant life. It takes someone with global knowledge of what looks right in that part of the world and still grows in the hostile climate where the park is located. Quite a challenge and one that requires lots of knowledge and creativity. Imagineer landscapers also use plant life to "double" for another star species (like in the movies) to give the right overall look. There is a sense of "theater" in what they do, versus the typical rows of material you see in the real world. Much more in the mentality of those "greens" departments that used to be part of the studio system in Hollywood that would dress the sets with potted materials or create jungles on sound stages. Only the Imagineer is doing it in a permanent solution. There used to be an artificial foliage group at WDI that specialized in indoor solutions like the Energy Pavilion or other plastic jungles.

More on Bill Evans and his "three point approach" to landscape design at Disney. Great read.

http://flamingogreen.com/Morgan__Bill__Evans.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_"Bill"_Evans

More on Comstock and DAK.

http://flamingogreen.com/Paul_Comstock.html

When we needed "jungles" in frigid regions of Tokyo, Evans knew of a type of bamboo that would grow in those climes and against all odds created a jungle in a place where it would not normally survive. Now you see why landscape is so important and is such a critical part of not only the story, but the emotional beauty of the parks. It's part of Walt's "doing the impossible". I'm currently working with a protege of Evans, Paul Comstock, who was the key player in DAK. That park not only had to duplicate Africa and Asia, but be a food source for the animals as well. A masterpiece of his craft.

When I was there, we had a lead Landscape designer as an employee with an outside landscape firm hired to be the "architect of record" to coordinate and do the drawings. We call it "Area Development", which is more than plants, it's paths, sidewalks and planters too. Hardscape like "the Hub". Area Development holds the lands together. Each land of DLP had it's lead in AD. Adventureland was pretty intense. We had many talented people working with us who became good friends. Comstock does contract work for WDI today so I think more of it is done on contract, but I'm not sure. They get involved pretty early as well, especially for budget projections and power requirements (it all gets lit too, path lighting). Sometimes you buy specimens early, and grow them offsite to be moved in later.

In Paris, we wanted Main Street to always look alive and beautiful even in the cold gray winters, so I wanted "evergreen" trees with leaves year round that looked like the ones in the other parks. The leaves could not be so dense. or so big that they hid the Castle either. Paul Comstock, the lead in charge found the right species and imported them. Evans was still alive to consult and direct some of this. It was an honor to have known him and understood his approach to landscape. Comstock is in my opinion "the man" today. The Luke Skywalker of his trade and has certainly become a Jedi under Evans.

Landscaping sets the stage and supports the story. You look at it in composition with the rest of the design. It frames the architecture and most importantly, creates those beautiful "transitions" between themed areas we love. The scale, leaf size and texture is something you pay lots of attention to. It softens the buildings. The WDI landscape designer understands how to make the floral color and landscape a show in itself without overpowering the rest, in fact, it lends credibility. Landscaping is life. We primally love it. John Hench talks about the "architecture of reassurance". The grown environment is the proof of that. It thrives and so we do as well. The beauty of creation is so complex and powerful, in combination with man made structures is very pleasing and tells us everything will be ok.

The Liberty Tree, Jungle Cruise, Rivers of America, DAK and frankly the whole property of WDW gets it's awe from the natural beauty of what wasn't built. The magic of Disney World is the coexistence of those things. The setting of the Crystal Palace. the sunsets in the Cypress Trees. A "Paradise" with rides! Coney Island was never that. It was urbanity by the sea. WDW embraces the natural world in a way that does not attempt to dominate it but celebrate it. There is balance. This is why the intrusion of the roads and busses erode the carless dream of WDW to me. The message is being blurred. Great landscape designers designed that message in what they didn't do and how they manicured reality just enough for us to not feel threatened by it. These unsung WDI magicians can do both structured spaces that are formal gardens, or mimic nature with environments that look like they grew naturally for a thousand years. I have great respect for these natural storytellers and their craft as one of great education, most of which is real world experience fueled a creative passion for what can be grown.

Just last week, Paul and I wanted to choose a tree that "gave you something" when you looked at its trunk. He suggested a Spanish Cork tree as it's bark is what they make corks from and is richly textured. It is a beautiful specimen and it's not just a tree it's a worthy conversation when you discover it. It's all about the details. We hear about it in architecture, but everything matters. Good Landscaping gets better the closer you look, it's just the way the Earth is and how these folks can direct our attention to it's incredible wonders. Guys like Paul, Bill and many others have given us pleasure by showing us what's around us in an elegant way.

No wonder they never said "Stop and smell the rides".

jt04

Wow..270 pages. I'll have to try that. Glad you enjoy the thread.. Such great questions. Hope this helps.

Frank Lloyd Wright once said "The physician can bury his mistakes, but the architect can only advise his client to plant vines-" Truer words were never said. The landscape designer saves your bacon many times.

When I was at WDI, Herb Ryman introduced me to Morgan "Bill" Evans, Walt's home landscaper, who became his choice for greening Disneyland. As frequently happens, the landscaping got the short end of the budget but Bill made it work. He was already a legend in the business as his family had a nursery in LA and his father was a second generation horticulturist. I live in LA and many of the unique trees in my neighborhood were brought to the USA by Evan's father. This is important, because frequently theme parks must emulate other parks of the world in both architecture and plant life. It takes someone with global knowledge of what looks right in that part of the world and still grows in the hostile climate where the park is located. Quite a challenge and one that requires lots of knowledge and creativity. Imagineer landscapers also use plant life to "double" for another star species (like in the movies) to give the right overall look. There is a sense of "theater" in what they do, versus the typical rows of material you see in the real world. Much more in the mentality of those "greens" departments that used to be part of the studio system in Hollywood that would dress the sets with potted materials or create jungles on sound stages. Only the Imagineer is doing it in a permanent solution. There used to be an artificial foliage group at WDI that specialized in indoor solutions like the Energy Pavilion or other plastic jungles.

More on Bill Evans and his "three point approach" to landscape design at Disney. Great read.

When we needed "jungles" in frigid regions of Tokyo, Evans knew of a type of bamboo that would grow in those climes and against all odds created a jungle in a place where it would not normally survive. Now you see why landscape is so important and is such a critical part of not only the story, but the emotional beauty of the parks. It's part of Walt's "doing the impossible". I'm currently working with a protege of Evans, Paul Comstock, who was the key player in DAK. That park not only had to duplicate Africa and Asia, but be a food source for the animals as well. A masterpiece of his craft.

When I was there, we had a lead Landscape designer as an employee with an outside landscape firm hired to be the "architect of record" to coordinate and do the drawings. We call it "Area Development", which is more than plants, it's paths, sidewalks and planters too. Hardscape like "the Hub". Area Development holds the lands together. Each land of DLP had it's lead in AD. Adventureland was pretty intense. We had many talented people working with us who became good friends. Comstock does contract work for WDI today so I think more of it is done on contract, but I'm not sure. They get involved pretty early as well, especially for budget projections and power requirements (it all gets lit too, path lighting). Sometimes you buy specimens early, and grow them offsite to be moved in later.

In Paris, we wanted Main Street to always look alive and beautiful even in the cold gray winters, so I wanted "evergreen" trees with leaves year round that looked like the ones in the other parks. The leaves could not be so dense. or so big that they hid the Castle either. Paul Comstock, the lead in charge found the right species and imported them. Evans was still alive to consult and direct some of this. It was an honor to have known him and understood his approach to landscape. Comstock is in my opinion "the man" today. The Luke Skywalker of his trade and has certainly become a Jedi under Evans.

Landscaping sets the stage and supports the story. You look at it in composition with the rest of the design. It frames the architecture and most importantly, creates those beautiful "transitions" between themed areas we love. The scale, leaf size and texture is something you pay lots of attention to. It softens the buildings. The WDI landscape designer understands how to make the floral color and landscape a show in itself without overpowering the rest, in fact, it lends credibility. Landscaping is life. We primally love it. John Hench talks about the "architecture of reassurance". The grown environment is the proof of that. It thrives and so we do as well. The beauty of creation is so complex and powerful, in combination with man made structures is very pleasing and tells us everything will be ok.

The Liberty Tree, Jungle Cruise, Rivers of America, DAK and frankly the whole property of WDW gets it's awe from the natural beauty of what wasn't built. The magic of Disney World is the coexistence of those things. The setting of the Crystal Palace. the sunsets in the Cypress Trees. A "Paradise" with rides! Coney Island was never that. It was urbanity by the sea. WDW embraces the natural world in a way that does not attempt to dominate it but celebrate it. There is balance. This is why the intrusion of the roads and busses erode the carless dream of WDW to me. The message is being blurred. Great landscape designers designed that message in what they didn't do and how they manicured reality just enough for us to not feel threatened by it. These unsung WDI magicians can do both structured spaces that are formal gardens, or mimic nature with environments that look like they grew naturally for a thousand years. I have great respect for these natural storytellers and their craft as one of great education, most of which is real world experience fueled a creative passion for what can be grown.

Just last week, Paul and I wanted to choose a tree that "gave you something" when you looked at its trunk. He suggested a Spanish Cork tree as it's bark is what they make corks from and is richly textured. It is a beautiful specimen and it's not just a tree it's a worthy conversation when you discover it. It's all about the details. We hear about it in architecture, but everything matters. Good Landscaping gets better the closer you look, it's just the way the Earth is and how these folks can direct our attention to it's incredible wonders. Guys like Paul, Bill and many others have given us pleasure by showing us what's around us in an elegant way.

Great read and information. And great quote from FLW.

I personally find this subject timely as I was just thinking about this just this morning. I was looking at photos of the latest version of the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot. They are really achieving something special with the landscaping at Epcot. It does present a more 'engineered' look which should be expected I think. Kind of a counter programming to the much more natural look at DAK. But it works perfectly at Epcot and they improve it every year. Some of the features are just amazing. So kudos to whomever is designing the festival and I hope they are allowed to continue the plussing each year.

Specifically what I was thinking (I couldn't decide where to post it) was that I hope they use the same people to at least advise on the FLE landscaping. Because what is happening at Epcot is truly world class Imagineering.

Ituri13

Great response Eddie, thanks! I've always been fascinated by the way that landscape can "transport you to another place". That was a great example you gave of Adventureland in Tokyo. Doing Adventureland in France must have been an even greater challenge, since, though Tokyo does get cold, it is fairly moderate due to its coastal location. I remember reading somewhere, someone (Paul Comstock maybe?) talking about how in Paris they used hardy bamboo species around the perimeter to help create a micro-climate that would warm things up a bit in the middle to help the less hardy plant material make it through the winter. Great stuff!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Epcot Rambling Rant-a-thon.

Great read and information. And great quote from FLW.

I personally find this subject timely as I was just thinking about this just this morning. I was looking at photos of the latest version of the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot. They are really achieving something special with the landscaping at Epcot. It does present a more 'engineered' look which should be expected I think. Kind of a counter programming to the much more natural look at DAK. But it works perfectly at Epcot and they improve it every year. Some of the features are just amazing. So kudos to whomever is designing the festival and I hope they are allowed to continue the plussing each year.

Specifically what I was thinking (I couldn't decide where to post it) was that I hope they use the same people to at least advise on the FLE landscaping. Because what is happening at Epcot is truly world class Imagineering.

Okay. My mind is been wondering too and that can be a dangerous thing.

Perhaps the opportunity at Epcot is get past what "man has done" on "Spaceship Earth" and look deeper into the planet itself and what truly sustains us? To show the resiliency of the environment gives us hope that the planet will always be here if we are, it's up to us to behave in a way that allows us to be a worthy tenant. It seems the Gulf of Mexico is healing itself faster than some expected. When forest fires doomed Yellowstone Park in the 80s everyone thought it was lost forever until the earth brought it back in a different yet beautiful way. For the first time in human history man seems to feel like he is truly at the mercy of the planet itself and fears for his extinction. Ironically we know so little about our planet but can't wait to get off of it and settle another. Perhaps part of Epcot's mission could be to use landscaping as an attraction to help to future generations to really understand our home better. Imagine what the Land Pavilion could be like if you let landscape architects and designers go crazy. Like a rock star that trashes a hotel room, man needs to be a better guest. The earth could show you how. When Epcot opened no one would've predicted that, other than pollution we would have been faced with any kind of global climatic issues to try and understand. As you've pointed out, Epcot Center showcases the wonders of nature in a unique way. Can we go further?

Of course, the one thing you could say about the 21st century is that more of man's problems are global and no longer regional. Epcot being a park steeped in the notion of international cooperation, would have been a perfect showcase for positive global solutions to man's problems. But no matter what you do, it becomes political at some point. Even the subject of environment which used to be a very benign topic, is now a gigantic industry so it has become politically charged as well. In absence of that, it's probably not a bad idea to at least humbly admit that we know that we don't know, but are willing to learn. Of course, you teach a better way by kindling people's curiosity about what can be, and being a living example. They can decide if they like it or not. "We are doing" rather than "You should be doing".

I can tell you that when it comes to landscaping I have a renewed sense of discovery and appreciation for the miracle that the Earth truly is and how to better showcase what's already here. All I'm really saying is that the earth itself plays a crucial role in our future, and to your point, Epcot is a perfect place to draw attention to that.

All over the map here, thanks for being patient..:)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Another shop article

Max of designingdisney.com has released another great article just now on the history of one of our DLP Main Street stores, Disney and Company. He is ruthless with fishing out the real world origins of every piece of design. I tried to supply him with insider stuff. A great read for sure if you're into the details.

http://www.designingdisney.com/

Ituri13

Okay. My mind is been wondering too and that can be a dangerous thing.

Perhaps the opportunity at Epcot is get past what "man has done" on "Spaceship Earth" and look deeper into the planet itself and what truly sustains us? To show the resiliency of the environment gives us hope that the planet will always be here if we are, it's up to us to behave in a way that allows us to be a worthy tenant. It seems the Gulf of Mexico is healing itself faster than some expected. When forest fires doomed Yellowstone Park in the 80s everyone thought it was lost forever until the earth brought it back in a different yet beautiful way. For the first time in human history man seems to feel like he is truly at the mercy of the planet itself and fears for his extinction. Ironically we know so little about our planet but can't wait to get off of it and settle another. Perhaps part of Epcot's mission could be to use landscaping as an attraction to help to future generations to really understand our home better. Imagine what the Land Pavilion could be like if you let landscape architects and designers go crazy. Like a rock star that trashes a hotel room, man needs to be a better guest. The earth could show you how. When Epcot opened no one would've predicted that, other than pollution we would have been faced with any kind of global climatic issues to try and understand. As you've pointed out, Epcot Center showcases the wonders of nature in a unique way. Can we go further?

Of course, the one thing you could say about the 21st century is that more of man's problems are global and no longer regional. Epcot being a park steeped in the notion of international cooperation, would have been a perfect showcase for positive global solutions to man's problems. But no matter what you do, it becomes political at some point. Even the subject of environment which used to be a very benign topic, is now a gigantic industry so it has become politically charged as well. In absence of that, it's probably not a bad idea to at least humbly admit that we know that we don't know, but are willing to learn. Of course, you teach a better way by kindling people's curiosity about what can be, and being a living example. They can decide if they like it or not. "We are doing" rather than "You should be doing".

I can tell you that when it comes to landscaping I have a renewed sense of discovery and appreciation for the miracle that the Earth truly is and how to better showcase what's already here. All I'm really saying is that the earth itself plays a crucial role in our future, and to your point, Epcot is a perfect place to draw attention to that.

All over the map here, thanks for being patient..:)

Nice idea, here's another direction that could head.

http://www.biomimicryinstitute.org/

In a nutshell biomimicry is the science of finding solutions to human problems within the constructs of nature. There is enormous potential and hope to be found. Wouldn't it be fascinating to have some of this featured at an EPCOT, Future World pavilion?

Mansion Butler

Hey, Eddie,

This is probably a strange question, and I'm sure the answers are in this thread and I've missed (or haven't retained) them, but I'm wondering if you could provide a quick list of things around WDW that have your proverbial fingerprints on them? I've actually read a bit about what you've done for DLP, but I've never been there. I do, however, spend a whole lot of time at WDW and would like to check it out with knowledge of what things have your contributions.

As always, thanks for your response!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Hey, Eddie,

This is probably a strange question, and I'm sure the answers are in this thread and I've missed (or haven't retained) them, but I'm wondering if you could provide a quick list of things around WDW that have your proverbial fingerprints on them? I've actually read a bit about what you've done for DLP, but I've never been there. I do, however, spend a whole lot of time at WDW and would like to check it out with knowledge of what things have your contributions.

As always, thanks for your response!

"Mission:Space" concept design, "Videopolis" Club and "Space Mountain Fedex rehab." The rest never got built.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

In a nutshell biomimicry is the science of finding solutions to human problems within the constructs of nature. There is enormous potential and hope to be found. Wouldn't it be fascinating to have some of this featured at an EPCOT, Future World pavilion?

Very interesting. Like nano technology, we need to push it all out a bit more.

lazyboy97o

Some of it is already in EPCOT Center. A friend of mine was doing a focus studio on biomimicry and based on the animal he was studying (I cannot remember what) he proposed spiky/triangular panels and troughs that collected rain water, like the animal itself does. Afterwards I told him the idea was not new, Spaceship Earth does just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom