Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Can you really compare knott's to any disney park? the way they were planned and built is different along with the attendance.

So true and in many ways no you can't. But I guess that's the point. Knott's was a Chicken Restaurant with retail surrounding it first, then it added the rides and there is (more like was) this homespun atmosphere about it. A farm.

Disney parks are "experience factories" and process as many of them as possible to a bigger audience, even the admission policy of using "unlimited use" ticket media creates the anxiety of not getting your money's worth if you don't do enough. That drives the company to try and help guests get to do more and more while they are there and thusly technology to the rescue. What I do love about the whole idea of Annual Passports is that it defeats that "all you can eat experience gluttony" dynamic. You can go at your speed.

As an AP, you can come and just have dinner or sit around on a bench, knowing you can come back another time. Love that. This to me is where the technology can excel. Once you have seen the park a number of times, the technology can add layers of detail not found on the surface. You are the perfect audience for that as you are used to the lands and looking for more. I see this as a new frontier, but done in a way that it does not make other guests think they are missing anything. It needs to be non intrusive and somewhat invisible. It isn't in place of what's there, it seamlessly enhances it.

Mansion Butler

Ahh the Rangers. We have the great Nolan Ryan in common, once a Ranger and an Angel. I watched him pitch some amazing games. Texas is a great team.
My first experience in baseball was going to see Nolan Ryan pitch. That's where the Rangers fan in me was born. I still have the hat I was given from that game as a gate prize.

Quick Story on that topic...

Myself and another Imagineer were invited to lunch with Mr. Eisner one day at the studio, when midsentence he was interrupted by an assistant crossing the dining room with a folder and a pen. Michael put his fork down and signed these contracts inside of a minute and then handed the folder back to the assistant who darted away. He looked up and said. "Sorry about that interruption, but we just bought the Angels."

I was blown away!!!!! The team we followed since I was a kid changed hands on the lunch table. I called my dad when I got back to the car. He was floored.
That's incredible!

There's still a plaque in the utilidor at the Magic Kingdom that refers to "our Major League Baseball team the Anaheim Angels."

By the way, on a related note: When you were in Imagineering, how often would you be talking to Eisner? Do you think it's more or less for current Imagineering big wigs with Mr. Iger?

Mansion Butler

As an AP, you can come and just have dinner or sit around on a bench, knowing you can come back another time. Love that. This to me is where the technology can excel. Once you have seen the park a number of times, the technology can add layers of detail not found on the surface. You are the perfect audience for that as you are used to the lands and looking for more. I see this as a new frontier, but done in a way that it does not make other guests think they are missing anything. It needs to be non intrusive and somewhat invisible. It isn't in place of what's there, it seamlessly enhances it.
I have often wondered "aloud" here if this is why I like Animal Kingdom so much more than the other posters of WDW Magic.

I've been a Cast Member with availability between seasonal and full time for more than five years now (holy crap), and, as a result, I've seen it all many, many times. So I love DAK because it's such a rich, layered experience with so much detail to be seen and so many gorgeous views to relax and take in. Plus all the animals making each visit unique. I still enjoy the attractions, but I know every attraction on property like the back of my hand. I'm more about taking in the quiet, bench-sitting experiences now, like you describe an AP being able to do. And for me, the Magic Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom give that better than any other park.

Plus, the Tusker House has banana bread putting and a vanilla bean sauce.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
By the way, on a related note: When you were in Imagineering, how often would you be talking to Eisner? Do you think it's more or less for current Imagineering big wigs with Mr. Iger?

We had design reviews with Eisner and Wells quite often in the early days and all through DLP. They came over often. Later on I heard he was less engaged and scarce. I had the rare occasion to travel with them (and their wives) all over Europe. That was a great experience and a way to see them as they really are. Nice people. Have no idea how much anyone sees of Bob Iger (I've been gone for 10 years), he's also very nice and can be charming too, but I'd suspect he's very engaged as from what I hear, he made changes on the water show WOC.

RunnerEd

Animal Kingdom is more relaxing and paradisaic. The napping Animals do set the tone to a degree don't they?

I agree with your AP philosophy and, more to the point, the Animal Kingdom. There are so many layers to the AK that can be enjoyed; it can be a full 2 day park or a 3 hour park. I've done it both ways. When the wife and I escape to the World for a 3 day weekend, we jump into Animal Kingdom, ride the Safari, Everest, Dinosaur, and It's Tough to be a Bug then leave, usually taking about 3 or 4 hours. When we take longer family trips, we will spend an entire day in AK, walking the trails and taking it all in. Both experiences are great and I think it's cool that the park lends itself quite well to both.

HMF

You know, I'm so tired of sitting and watching TDO constantly screw up and all I can do is complain with others about it on a discussion forum. I wish I could DO somthing about it. But of course, one doesn't just walk up to an executive office kick all the executives out and crown themself king. :lol:
There was a savewdw.com around some time ago. Then it mysteriously disappeared.

HMF

Yes. Good ol' Nolan Ryan I remember watching him pitch also, even though he was traded for my favorite Angel Jim Fregosi, but then Jim eventually came back and managed Ryan and the Angels. Good times back at the Big "A"
Not to de-rail this into a Baseball thread but Jim Fregosi managed my favorite team to the 1993 World Series and then uh well I would rather not bring that up.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Not to de-rail this into a Baseball thread but Jim Fregosi managed my favorite team to the 1993 World Series and then uh well I would rather not bring that up.

Considering the Blue Jays had 4 Hall of Famers, you guys had none. A fine fight but a tough team to beat!

RSoxNo1

Ahh the Rangers. We have the great Nolan Ryan in common, once a Ranger and an Angel. I watched him pitch some amazing games. Texas is a great team.

My first experience in baseball was going to see Nolan Ryan pitch. That's where the Rangers fan in me was born. I still have the hat I was given from that game as a gate prize.

Wow, Nolan Ryan and a Disney discussion in the same thread. I never saw Nolan Ryan pitch live but watched him several times on television. He is my favorite player of all time.

The room I'm sitting in right now has Nolan Ryan Hats and Jerseys hanging on one wall, a "shrine" on another wall that features autographed photos, baseballs, and cards as well as a limited edition banner numbered 30 of 500 that was sold during his Hall of Fame Induction weekend.

Sitting in front of Fathead type cutout of Nolan Ryan on an end table are plush animals of Hooter and Fuzzball, and on the wall behind me are attraction posters of Splash Mountain and The Haunted Mansion.

This is what happens when my fiance lets me do the decorating.

DisneyNut2007

The Walt Disney Company: Milking the franchises till they're dead. I have to say that Eisner (at least the pre-Wells helicopter crash Eisner) seemed to be a much nicer guy than Iger who talks like a cold PR machine and pushes franchise ad nauseum.

HOW DARE YOU SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT IGER! SHAME ON YOU, MR. HMF!!! :mad:

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Wow, Nolan Ryan and a Disney discussion in the same thread. I never saw Nolan Ryan pitch live but watched him several times on television. He is my favorite player of all time.

The room I'm sitting in right now has Nolan Ryan Hats and Jerseys hanging on one wall, a "shrine" on another wall that features autographed photos, baseballs, and cards as well as a limited edition banner numbered 30 of 500 that was sold during his Hall of Fame Induction weekend.

Sitting in front of Fathead type cutout of Nolan Ryan on an end table are plush animals of Hooter and Fuzzball, and on the wall behind me are attraction posters of Splash Mountain and The Haunted Mansion.

This is what happens when my fiance lets me do the decorating.

What a mashup...Fuzzball meets fastball! I watched him pitch at Anaheim. He was incredible.

flavious27

So true and in many ways no you can't. But I guess that's the point. Knott's was a Chicken Restaurant with retail surrounding it first, then it added the rides and there is (more like was) this homespun atmosphere about it. A farm.

Disney parks are "experience factories" and process as many of them as possible to a bigger audience, even the admission policy of using "unlimited use" ticket media creates the anxiety of not getting your money's worth if you don't do enough. That drives the company to try and help guests get to do more and more while they are there and thusly technology to the rescue. What I do love about the whole idea of Annual Passports is that it defeats that "all you can eat experience gluttony" dynamic. You can go at your speed.

Wouldn't trying to market MK as a two day park fix this?

AEfx

I agree with your AP philosophy and, more to the point, the Animal Kingdom. There are so many layers to the AK that can be enjoyed; it can be a full 2 day park or a 3 hour park. I've done it both ways. When the wife and I escape to the World for a 3 day weekend, we jump into Animal Kingdom, ride the Safari, Everest, Dinosaur, and It's Tough to be a Bug then leave, usually taking about 3 or 4 hours. When we take longer family trips, we will spend an entire day in AK, walking the trails and taking it all in. Both experiences are great and I think it's cool that the park lends itself quite well to both.

I think the problem with AK is that, yes, it's great to walk around sometimes (when it's not a million degrees - it's always warmer in that park than anywhere else), but if you do want to do attractions (the stuff Disney offers and promotes) there is really very little there.

Many of us live close to wonderful zoo's where you can actually see animals regularly, and when I think about AK I have to think hard as to when I've actually seen real live animals. And the "nature" walks...well it is neat, but it's all man-made. Because it's man-made that makes it neat in terms of the feat it was to put together, but isn't exactly a "natural wonder" in that case.

It is in how you approach it, but it's also in how Disney sells it. "Nahtazoo", but if it's "Nahtazoo", it's also not a full theme park either. They get away with it because of FOLK and Nemo, which they want to take two hours of your day out in a whack for each one (because of the poor line management and intentional stacking).

I bring family there when they come because I must, but when I am at WDW with my own agenda I pop in, ride Dinosaur a few times, and usually hit the road. Everest I skip because the only part I am interested in is broken (and while I can do any coaster anywhere, for some reason that one makes me queasy on the backwards portion - and it's not worth it for Disco Yeti). ITTBAB sometimes, and unless you go early in the day the Safari is kind of a joke as well so I don't bother with that either (the chance to see the head of a lion 100 feet away sleeping just doesn't cut it).

AK needs some rides, desperately. One or two E-tickets, and some D-tickets as well. Unfortunately, Disney seems to be heck-bent on wasting money on "next gen" garbage instead of doing what most people actually go to WDW for - rides and attractions.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Considering the Blue Jays had 4 Hall of Famers, you guys had none. A fine fight but a tough team to beat!

Agreed. The 93 Phillies were such a fun team. They had a lot of heart and were pretty much the black sheep of the league. I went to the high scoring Game 5 of the WS at the Vet that year, which the Phils unfortunately lost, and the 20 inning game against the Dodgers during the regular season. It was great to be at both parts of Game 5 of the 2008 World Series and finally see a championship in the city of brotherly love.

I can't wait for opening day....

KevinYee

Eddie, new topic. Were you ever privy to blue-sky ideas generated by others? If so, I'm betting we'd be riveted if you listed some of the wackier ones here!

flavious27

Agreed. The 93 Phillies were such a fun team. They had a lot of heart and were pretty much the black sheep of the league. I went to the high scoring Game 5 of the WS at the Vet that year, which the Phils unfortunately lost, and the 20 inning game against the Dodgers during the regular season. It was great to be at both parts of Game 5 of the 2008 World Series and finally see a championship in the city of brotherly love.

I can't wait for opening day....

i can't wait for o canada to be changed again so the clip stops being showed

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, new topic. Were you ever privy to blue-sky ideas generated by others? If so, I'm betting we'd be riveted if you listed some of the wackier ones here!

Sure. I happen to think that what gets built is seldom as good as what is suggested. What you're asking is hard to recall as they are "cannon fodder" and what comes to mind quickest are the ideas they should have built. In BS meetings lots of ideas are thrown out that are not to be taken seriously. A personal favorite was a fiery thrill ride Eric Jacobson called "Hell in a hand Basket". Lots of fun plays on words for silly index cards on the wall. A drive thru deli ride and restaurant called the "Slaw-topia", goofy stuff like that. Joe Rohde was great with those. I wish I could recall some of his. That process leads to good ideas as well and to me was never a waste of time. Mashup thinking got us "Blizzard Beach", another idea from Eric. Now you see the process.

Irreverent Comedian Stan Freberg was hired by WED to come up with an Imagination pavilion concept and after much prodding finally unveiled a primitive model of twisted wire (representing track) within what represented a gigantic glass "light bulb". An icon to rival Spaceship Earth. This was to be a ride through an "idea" (as I was told, never saw this). Marty will likely cover this in his book someday.

Sometimes your boss or the studio will ask you to develop their Blue Sky idea for them. This can be painful.

I was forced to present a "greatest hits" type AA musical show featuring the best scenes from the animated classics in the Carousel theater in Tomorrowland. Even the Ops folks thankfully figured out it was in the wrong land. Whew.

We were asked once by the strategic planning department to develop the "Miramax Channel". We put together a trailer for it using all the best Oscar winning movies. After all of that, they found out that they didn't have the rights to show Miramax movies as they were already sold to other channels, so I was actually asked if I could change the trailer to not have the Miramax movies but still call it the Miramax channel. Shocking. This blue sky idea never flew either.

I know our team developed "near death" experiences, "interactive foods" (meals you can play with), and alien abductions.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Ah, interesting...in fact that seems like a good topic to post in another thread, have people come up with their wackiest attraction ideas...:D

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I noticed something in the Micechat update today that might interest you. There is a photo of a new limited edition Starspeeder 1000 in the gift shop (Red with stripes). I assume this is inspired by the new ride vehicle. In studying it closer, noticed only 3 doors whereas the old vehicles had 5. I wonder if they took out seats or reconfigured the new vehicles? or this is just artistic license at the toy factory?

http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/da...e-mermaid-details-park-crowd-levels-more.html

Another thing I noticed in that update was the rehabbed music store. I'm not sure how ling it's been there, but the retail shelves have what is called "slat wall". It is a horizontal shelving system that is very flexible and loved by some retail directors and abhorred by others as cheap looking (because it is). It's not in period either. This brings up a new topic, which is that there are what is called "retail design standards" that are mandated to WDI (and in a way by WDI as Ops and WDI are one) as to where props can and can't be, how lighting is done, and basically how all stores are done. This all got it's start in a backlash to EDL stores that there were "too many props". This creates a sameness and is very anti-boutique. I'm not sure where this criteria lies today and if there are many exceptions, but it's good topic of discussion at some point as retail is the "breadbasket" of the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom