Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
...and apologies if you, Eddie, worked on Superstar Limo at all ;)

None required. I did not work on DCA. The only thing I had something to do with was that big peeled "Orange" with the swing ride in it.

There was a sketch I had done as a proposal for a central Icon for the park from some meeting, which was this massive sphere floating on water that had a thick spiraling band of stained glass stretched over it's bronzed framework, that upon closer inspection, revealed an art glass mosaic of colorful references depicting California history and it's landmarks. Kind of a massive glass and crystal montage. Inside the sphere was a Swing Ride above searchlights that pierced the framework openings creating shafts of light "cracking" through the sphere. The swings themselves had small lights so at night the lights chased inside the globe and illuminated the stained glass "skin" of the Sphere. From inside you are bathed in psychedelic light and sound. The idea was that it was this glowing spherical kinetic sculpture depicted the vibrant culture of California. Beneath this historic "skin" was the raw energy of the state. The Orange or Sun, or whatever. I think there was an Ice Fountain in there as well. Obviously, it was way too expensive but well received. Evidently the basic idea lived on in a much simpler form in orange sheetmetal as the "Orange Stinger", now the "Silly Symphony Swings". I had to ride it at least once dreaming of stained glass and searchlights.

lazyboy97o

There was a sketch I had done as a proposal for a central Icon for the park from some meeting, which was this massive sphere floating on water that had a thick spiraling band of stained glass stretched over it's bronzed framework, that upon closer inspection, revealed an art glass mosaic of colorful references depicting California history and it's landmarks. Kind of a massive glass and crystal montage. Inside the sphere was a Swing Ride above searchlights that pierced the framework openings creating shafts of light "cracking" through the sphere. The swings themselves had small lights so at night the lights chased inside the globe and illuminated the stained glass "skin" of the Sphere. From inside you are bathed in psychedelic light and sound. The idea was that it was this glowing spherical kinetic sculpture depicted the vibrant culture of California. Beneath this historic "skin" was the raw energy of the state. The Orange or Sun, or whatever. I think there was an Ice Fountain in there as well. Obviously, it was way too expensive but well received. Evidently the basic idea lived on in a much simpler form in orange sheetmetal as the "Orange Stinger", now the "Silly Symphony Swings". I had to ride it at least once dreaming of stained glass and searchlights.
Has this sketch, to your knowledge, ever been published?

flavious27

None required. I did not work on DCA. The only thing I had something to do with was that big peeled "Orange" with the swing ride in it.

So you weren't involved in it smelling like an orange and attracting bees?

That sounds like a great way to make a swing ride into something more than that.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
So you weren't involved in it smelling like an orange and attracting bees?

That sounds like a great way to make a swing ride into something more than that.

No bees never entered into it, it was supposed to be kind of abstract and the glass and light was meant to come off like a pulsating bauble. Kind of the glint of gold and sort of glitzy promise that California is known for. Imagine being inside a massive shredded spherical "church window meets disco ball". Sounds insane and i guess it was, but I can imagine it finished and it would have been stunning. It was nice to see it materialize in some way. Worked on a later project (outside of Disney) and used that basic idea in a different way, but the technology and ride system was far more extreme. We kicked up quite a few notches, got close to the green light but the economy killed it. Never discouraged, the next one will be even better...we're gonna keep trying this till something gets made somewhere!! Stay tuned.

flavious27

No bees never entered into it, it was supposed to be kind of abstract and the glass and light was meant to come off like a pulsating bauble. Kind of the glint of gold and sort of glitzy promise that California is known for. Imagine being inside a massive shredded spherical "church window meets disco ball". Sounds insane and i guess it was, but I can imagine it finished and it would have been stunning. It was nice to see it materialize in some way. Worked on a later project (outside of Disney) and used that basic idea in a different way, but the technology and ride system was far more extreme. We kicked up quite a few notches, got close to the green light but the economy killed it. Never discouraged, the next one will be even better...we're gonna keep trying this till something gets made somewhere!! Stay tuned.

I can envision what you are talking about and how it would look. Something like that could be added to EPCOT, it would fit into the idea and look next to SSE. Though I doubt that they would add a ride that blocks the view of SSE.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Bud Hurlbut

Here's some more information and some images on Attraction Pioneer Bud Hurlbut and his relationship with Walter Knott.

Knott's Berry Farm, given it's unique beginnings was a place where anything could happen. Being family owned, a handshake agreement was all that was needed to begin experimenting on some true breakthrough attractions in Walter Knott's "backyard". Knott had a need to grow and Bud filled it. Bud got the scale he needed to dream bigger too. What I love about these images of Bud is that you can tell that he was having fun innovating for Knott and it was hard work. The team was small too. No focus groups, lawyers, movie franchises, fan sites, or anyone but Knott to answer to. That was it. It was still like that when I was there when the Knott family ran things very directly, and if they had not given me a chance (A 21 year old Sears appliance salesman with HS education and NO design experience) to design a ride for them, I seriously doubt I'd be writing this today. Looking back it would be nearly impossible to make that happen now (I wouldn't have hired me!). No one else would even talk to me. WED rejected me twice. But Knott's was a blank canvas and gave me a shot, and they had given Bud one too. They brought him him to look over my shoulder and review my concepts, that was a great chance to glean some of his wisdom. He had earned so much respect from the Knott's over the years and mine as well.

Bud and Walter were a perfect partnership, and thanks to that unique collaboration we got the great rides we did. Knott's success and need to grow allowed Hurlbut to broaden his own horizons beyond small trains and explore his ability. Look what happened. He seized on it and they both became wealthy. Bud grew beyond the farm later and began his own parks. I'm sure the success he had at the farm taught him how to scale up. There is a great case study in this as there are fewer and fewer design "incubators" like Knott's around. As much as we learn from Bud, we also can learn from the context of his success.

So thank you Bud and thank you Knott Family for giving him (and me!) the opportunity to grow in that Berry Patch.

Amazing interview with Bud on meeting and knowing Walt Disney. MUST READ.

http://earlyamusementparksoforangecounty.blogspot.com/

http://www.yesterland.com/budhurlbut.html

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
wow superstar limo looked horrible, how did this stuff get approved?

The artwork for it looked abstract and very fun. The model looked really cool too. I think where it began to seriously fall apart was in the execution of the celebrities themselves and the humor surrounding them that fell flat. Lots of plays on words that just are not that funny. ("Diamond" lane, all facets closed... get it?) The likenesses were not dead on either or even cartooned for laughs. They are the core of the show. When I look at the pictures linked below seeing the stars (i.e. Griffith and Banderas) there isn't a laugh or a "wow" either. :shrug: Seeing real stars in LA (and they are around) is thrilling and unexpected. Wax Museum figures give you a chill because they seem real and are the next best thing. This execution is just a weak cartoon of them and there is no emotion to it or payoff. So if you go that route you need to provide another thrill as they are obviously not the real star. English puppet companies like "Spinning Image" make you howl because they lampoon the talent to a hideous extreme. I think if they had let these guys do the stars with a satirical script (of course the stars may not approve it) the show would have been a TMZ style "must see" (scroll down and see how SI did the Beatles, Genesis, Bill Murray etc. They would be a shock to see). IMO, DCA didn't go far enough to justify it's "California tone of voice" to make up for the lack of budget. The MGM Studios did have a different "tone of voice" than MK with the bars and more contemporary sense of humor.

http://www.google.com/images?client...tle&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQsAQwAA&biw=1290&bih=826

Add that to the soundtrack issues and well, you got it. In the end "there was no there there".

http://www.yesterland.com/superstarlimo.html

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I am not a fan of Disney using too much current celebrity...especially in a full dark ride like that.

There's always potential problems that can come up. The stars on the attraction could get involved in a major scandal, or meet an untimely fate...all which suddenly means the attraction would need to get updated or changed, else the guests wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Now, IMO they could have easily gone a classic hollywood route, doing the same "You're the star" premise, but give it the 30's-40's style feel with classic hollywood actors instead of current ones. Add in some more Disney flair and then you have a better attraction.

flavious27

I am not a fan of Disney using too much current celebrity...especially in a full dark ride like that.

There's always potential problems that can come up. The stars on the attraction could get involved in a major scandal, or meet an untimely fate...all which suddenly means the attraction would need to get updated or changed, else the guests wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Now, IMO they could have easily gone a classic hollywood route, doing the same "You're the star" premise, but give it the 30's-40's style feel with classic hollywood actors instead of current ones. Add in some more Disney flair and then you have a better attraction.

So kind of make it like a great movie ride?

flavious27

The artwork for it looked abstract and very fun. The model looked really cool too. I think where it began to seriously fall apart was in the execution of the celebrities themselves and the humor surrounding them that fell flat. Lots of plays on words that just are not that funny. ("Diamond" lane, all facets closed... get it?) The likenesses were not dead on either or even cartooned for laughs. They are the core of the show. When I look at the pictures linked below seeing the stars (i.e. Griffith and Banderas) there isn't a laugh or a "wow" either. :shrug: Seeing real stars in LA (and they are around) is thrilling and unexpected. Wax Museum figures give you a chill because they seem real and are the next best thing. This execution is just a weak cartoon of them and there is no emotion to it or payoff. So if you go that route you need to provide another thrill as they are obviously not the real star. English puppet companies like "Spinning Image" make you howl because they lampoon the talent to a hideous extreme. I think if they had let these guys do the stars with a satirical script (of course the stars may not approve it) the show would have been a TMZ style "must see" (scroll down and see how SI did the Beatles, Genesis, Bill Murray etc. They would be a shock to see). IMO, DCA didn't go far enough to justify it's "California tone of voice" to make up for the lack of budget. The MGM Studios did have a different "tone of voice" than MK with the bars and more contemporary sense of humor.

http://www.google.com/images?client...tle&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQsAQwAA&biw=1290&bih=826

Add that to the soundtrack issues and well, you got it. In the end "there was no there there".

http://www.yesterland.com/superstarlimo.html

The look of the actors were just demented for some of them. The voiceover for the queue was annoying as was the lopping video of joan rivers.

The premise could have worked if more thought was put into it and also if past rides were used as a template.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
The look of the actors were just demented for some of them. The voiceover for the queue was annoying as was the lopping video of joan rivers.

The premise could have worked if more thought was put into it and also if past rides were used as a template.

Like a movie, you don't really know what you have till it all comes together, as there are many opportunities for the show to "go south". Budget sometimes is the "editing room". If you know the true "essence" of what makes the show a "wow", you won't let those areas be cut and you'll only lose the "fluff" (seeing stars). Experienced designers can usually see most these things coming and anticipate the end result. Other times the decline of an idea is more subtle and shreds of it are lost in 1000 cuts, leaving some pretty sets, not much story and no big wow...you wonder why you built it in the first place! In the case of SSL, it seems that the lynchpin of the show are the "celebrity characters" and the guest "wow" of that, so in the weak execution, they lost sight of what would make that element work.

KevinYee

And let's not forget Princess Diana's role in SSL. Had her tragedy never occurred, the SSL ride was supposed to be a semi-thrill ride (a chase)... or so the rumors said at the time.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Sorry I'm joining this portion of the conversation late... what is SSL?

SSL= SuperStar Limo

Eddie, do the Imagineers often come up with a "plan A" and "plan B" for if the budget gets changed, or is that not even mentioned until a budget gets changed? Maybe I'm oversimplifying a more complex process, but just curious

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
And let's not forget Princess Diana's role in SSL. Had her tragedy never occurred, the SSL ride was supposed to be a semi-thrill ride (a chase)... or so the rumors said at the time.

I forgot about that...It did undergo some changes that probably nixed any finale they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom