Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
If you had told someone back in the 20th century that Saturday would be the least crowded day of the week to visit Disneyland, they would have thought you were nuts. But that's the reality in 2010, and Lutz does a great job of explaining why.

Indeed. Baffles the mind. Not to mention the insane expense of building more parking structures to manage those extreme "pulses" of guests. How can that be a business when the crowds are essentially that heavily discounted (Avg 10 visits on an AP)? As a midlevel AP myself, I find it to be a waste as the crowds deter me from going, so I'm not renewing. The "Glow Party" does not look like something I want to subject my kids to if we have to wait for the WOC. Maybe it's better to pay full price, get an AAA discount or some price break and dump the AP? If all it's buying you is the opportunity to be miserable, then forget it. I'm fine with going less if overall it's a better experience. I'm sure the WOC is a beautiful show and the kids will love it, maybe late in the Summer is best so TDA has time to sort things out. Nothing better than a quiet day in the park. Here's to Saturday.

misterID

I think a solution to that is to make a premium AP pass so people who want to pay it can go anytime.

But you could always, you know, build that new restaraunt on South Beach. Then you can be an APer at The World... A lot lighter crowds for APers and I promise there's no glow parties there. And no go-go dancers.

:cry:

janoimagine

The go-go dancers even turned me off as a hetero male in my 30's, I was embarrassed for TDA having walked past it exiting DCA. Regarding the WOC, it was a great 'technical' show, however it really lacked in my opinion the soul of a fantasmic or illuminations. To me it felt like a 25 minute series of Disney/Pixar animated film vignettes with no underlying story, the second problem is the viewing, the best viewing is from the edge of the pier, however even on the calmest of nights you get soaked. The further back you get from the edge, the less engaged you are with the show, you see more of a wall of water, and less of the dances they have the fountains doing, and don't even get me started on the massive lighting towers that obstruct your view even when you are in a 'premium' viewing area. I was sadly left wanting more given all the hype surrounding the show and the marketing dollars they put into it.

Heres a shot I was able to get from my fast pass viewing area, which was about midway between the walkway and edge of the pier center stage.
4758818535_1967ac0fd1_b.jpg

Buried20KLeague

A very nice interview with Tony Baxter. He makes lots of good points that relate to the types of discussions we have here while relating how he got into WED. A must read for sure.

http://www.disunplugged.com/2010/07/03/imagineer-tony-baxter-the-importance-of-being-twelve/

Another great piece on the early travels of Herb Ryman and how those worldly experiences prepared him to add richness and depth to his Disney work. The posted sketches are stunning, and like great literature say more with less.

http://progresscityusa.com/2010/07/07/the-ryman-centennial-the-occidental-tourist/#respond

Al Lutz makes some interesting points as to how TDA is coping with Fast Passes, the APs, the success of outsourcing creative entertainment, and parking issues for the new WOC show. Frankly, I'v become more fascinated with the internal logistics of how they are dealing with the side effects, than the WOC show itself.

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al070610a.htm

I love how you can tell you're obviously just as big a Disney fan as all of us. :wave:

IMHO, they could use more guys like you.

Speaking of which... Are you hearing anything about Shanghai? When would they be hiring designers for that project, or has that ship already sailed? Or would you even be interested in getting involved if you got the opportunity? Does the work you did for DLP give you any "inside track" for something like that, or do you just feel like you're "one of many" they could call?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I love how you can tell you're obviously just as big a Disney fan as all of us. :wave:

IMHO, they could use more guys like you.

Speaking of which... Are you hearing anything about Shanghai? When would they be hiring designers for that project, or has that ship already sailed? Or would you even be interested in getting involved if you got the opportunity? Does the work you did for DLP give you any "inside track" for something like that, or do you just feel like you're "one of many" they could call?

I am a Disney fan at heart. Guilty as charged.

As to working in China, given how expensive DL Paris was, it's probably the "outside track"! Bob Weis is the man in charge of that project and I know him well. I'm sure if they had a need for what we do they'd give us a call. I'd guess that he has hired his own people from within and they are likely staffed up for it already. Right now we are booked solid and have been for quite some time.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I think a solution to that is to make a premium AP pass so people who want to pay it can go anytime.

But you could always, you know, build that new restaraunt on South Beach. Then you can be an APer at The World... A lot lighter crowds for APers and I promise there's no glow parties there. And no go-go dancers.

:cry:

We're doing another Rivera style Restaurant in Hollywood. Opens this fall. South Beach would be perfect. Know anyone who has a spot?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I was sadly left wanting more given all the hype surrounding the show and the marketing dollars they put into it.

The image you posted looks incredible. I heard similar reviews over and over, especially the "soulless" or "lacks heart" aspect. Soul's an intangible that's hard to design into a project. It's either there or it's not. Good thing it's only water, so they can update and hopefully perfect it over time. In today's MiceAge the ever skeptical Kevin Yee gives WOC a very positive review, so that is encouraging.

http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky071310a.htm

janoimagine

Thanks, I had a day to kill last week while we were shooting in LA so I treated myself to a day at Disneyland camera in hand, and had a wonderful time. I had a great opportunity to speak with an older cast member named Karen in the Disneyanna shop who had some great stories of Walt in the park. :D

The show itself technically was incredible, phenomenal even, my main issue, aside from the emotional connection (which I know is terribly difficult to achieve with the consumer) is the viewing. A lot of the visual interest is right at the waters surface, where the fountains are making their transitions, where the lasers are creating some incredible effects and unless your right on top of it, or higher up looking down ... you miss it. It's easy to play armchair quarterback, I know, but in hindsight, a more stadium style viewing area might have been better.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Thanks, I had a day to kill last week while we were shooting in LA so I treated myself to a day at Disneyland camera in hand, and had a wonderful time. I had a great opportunity to speak with an older cast member named Karen in the Disneyanna shop who had some great stories of Walt in the park. :D

The show itself technically was incredible, phenomenal even, my main issue, aside from the emotional connection (which I know is terribly difficult to achieve with the consumer) is the viewing. A lot of the visual interest is right at the waters surface, where the fountains are making their transitions, where the lasers are creating some incredible effects and unless your right on top of it, or higher up looking down ... you miss it. It's easy to play armchair quarterback, I know, but in hindsight, a more stadium style viewing area might have been better.

Thanks for that great report. I'm embarrassed to say I live relatively close and have not been. However, I have tasted the new Rivera summer Menu. Wow.

WDW1974

We're doing another Rivera style Restaurant in Hollywood. Opens this fall. South Beach would be perfect. Know anyone who has a spot?

There are always openings on SoBe, Eddie. Places seem to come and go. In many ways, it's a stranger market than LA ... more international. I only regularly go to two places down there for chow -- Prime 112 (best steaks and incredible sides) and Van Cafe (just artsy cafe cuisine) ...although there's a decent Mexican place (a cuisine that doesn't 'play' well here) that I can't remember on the Lincoln Road Mall.

Plan on dropping by your place at Emmy time ... you still giving MAGICal discounts? :cool::ROFLOL::)

WDW1974

The image you posted looks incredible. I heard similar reviews over and over, especially the "soulless" or "lacks heart" aspect. Soul's an intangible that's hard to design into a project. It's either there or it's not. Good thing it's only water, so they can update and hopefully perfect it over time. In today's MiceAge the ever skeptical Kevin Yee gives WOC a very positive review, so that is encouraging.

http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky071310a.htm

Haven't read Kev's column yet, but looking forward to seeing the show ... it does seem to have some flow (pun intended) issues, which likely has a lot to do with what was cut.

Just wondering, along with Al Lutz, when TDA and George K are going to stop the political BS and admit they're showing three performances a night and keeping DCA open til 11. While locals and online Disney fans know, many visitors are getting shafted by this desire to act surprised and play the 'due to exceptional guest demand and crowds' card when they have the shows budgeted and the CMs scheduled for the month of July (and likely August by this point).

Perhaps, off-topic a bit, but I have friends out there now who have been 'surprised' by this (and the fact that 3rd showing FastPasses are given out early).

Haven't had time to keep up with your thread over the past few months (was in Europe for three weeks, but not 'your' park), so was wondering if you've experienced WWoHP yet?

Or has the wretched FLA weather and your busy work schedule kept you away from our paradise?

_Scar

Kevin Yee :rolleyes:

Anywho, Eddie, maybe you've been asked this before but were you surprised with Iger supposedly saying he hated the show last minute and asking Steve to make it more "modern". Were you following along with his (steve's) presentations of the story of WoC?

janoimagine

Thanks for that great report. I'm embarrassed to say I live relatively close and have not been. However, I have tasted the new Rivera summer Menu. Wow.

I really wanted to take clients to the Rivera, however for the first time in a long time our budget allowed me to stay in Santa Monica so we stayed close to home for dining. Usually I am at the Downtown Standard (get a great rate there) but we just didn't feel like fighting the traffic. I may be coming back out in the next month, if we do it's on my must do list, I have to see it. :D

PS - don't know if you have been yet, but R+D Kitchen on Montana in Santa Monica is a great 'newer' place too ... (I think its the test kitchen houston's and/or bandera's) but you have to love the irony of the name ... and the logo is so simple and cool.

MiklCraw4d

That's exciting! So I take it the Rivera has been doing well? Will the new place feature similar cuisine, or something different?

Congratulations... a successful restaurant is a bloody difficult thing to pull off...

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
That's exciting! So I take it the Rivera has been doing well? Will the new place feature similar cuisine, or something different?

Congratulations... a successful restaurant is a bloody difficult thing to pull off...

It is but the chef John Sedlar is a genius and turns out unique food you can't stop eating. Rivera has been doing very well in the year and a half we've been open. We got "Best new restaurant of 2009" in LA Magazine, so that helps along with similar raves that fuel business. The new store in Hollywood will be lighter in menu, heavier in mixology. Most likely not named Rivera. Miami would be a great place to do the latter.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Kevin Yee :rolleyes:

Anywho, Eddie, maybe you've been asked this before but were you surprised with Iger supposedly saying he hated the show last minute and asking Steve to make it more "modern". Were you following along with his (steve's) presentations of the story of WoC?

It's never surprising that management has last minute comments and notes they want to add to a show (and sometimes they are right, I might add). It happens no matter who is running the company. Eisner used to change things as well. He walked through DLP just before opening and had huge changes made. I don't have any inside info on WOC as I didn't follow the development very closely, just the recent operational challenges.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Haven't had time to keep up with your thread over the past few months (was in Europe for three weeks, but not 'your' park), so was wondering if you've experienced WWoHP yet?

Or has the wretched FLA weather and your busy work schedule kept you away from our paradise?

I may get out there to see it in the next six months. Right now we're overbooked with work and turning stuff down.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I really wanted to take clients to the Rivera, however for the first time in a long time our budget allowed me to stay in Santa Monica so we stayed close to home for dining. Usually I am at the Downtown Standard (get a great rate there) but we just didn't feel like fighting the traffic. I may be coming back out in the next month, if we do it's on my must do list, I have to see it. :D

PS - don't know if you have been yet, but R+D Kitchen on Montana in Santa Monica is a great 'newer' place too ... (I think its the test kitchen houston's and/or bandera's) but you have to love the irony of the name ... and the logo is so simple and cool.

We have been studying the "open air" facade aspects of R+D. A good place for sure! Hillstone (Houstons, Gulfstream,Banderas) runs very good restaurants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom